Mentors & Coaches: Smarter Than The Judges?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5 replies to this topic

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 9:42 PM

Okay, so we get a genius, Jimmy Iovine, a guy who ACTUALLY knows what he's talking about, backed up by a whole crew of music producers, giving good solid advice to contestants.

And then Randy Fricken' Jackson insists on the EXACT opposite.

And we also have Peggy Blu, a real pisser who pulls no punches and who isn't caught up in either the "be too nice" phenomenon of the judges who don't want to look mean in front of America, or the random useless mean nonsense which people like Simon Cowell (and now Randy) shovel out. Peggy screaming at those contestants? Music to MY ears. And yet when the panel analyzed people we SAW her wince at? Oh, there was a little criticism, but it still seemed like softballs.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

Okay, so we get a genius, Jimmy Iovine, a guy who ACTUALLY knows what he's talking about, backed up by a whole crew of music producers, giving good solid advice to contestants.

And then Randy Fricken' Jackson insists on the EXACT opposite.

Well, I'm not always a Randy shipper, but in the case of Jacob Lusk, I think Randy's advice was on point when he said "When in doubt, do you". JL's vocal skills were obviously honed in the black church, and that's how they roll baby.

I understand what Jimmy Iovine was saying, but it's a little too late in the game to teach an old black dog some new white tricks. He is what he is. The fans that understood the "Ebenezer Baptist" comment will support JL. The one's that didn't - won't. My guess is that most of America won't "get him" and will not make him the next American Idol, but Jacob will almost certainly be welcomed into the gospel music recording/touring club once the smoke clears.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2011 @ 1:05 PM

Iovine isn't adding much. At least on TV. I think he wasn't the best choice for this role.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

Any word on if he's coming back?

littlefini1

littlefini1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

TESTING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS

ForgetYall

ForgetYall

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Iovine isn't adding much. At least on TV. I think he wasn't the best choice for this role.

Any word on if he's coming back?

The press release about AI's return included a photo with Iovine, so it looks like yes.

For a good laugh, I re-watched Andrew Lloyd Webber flirting with David Cook back when the former was a mentor. I love it when the mentors really get into the whole thing and like interacting with the finalists.