1-7: "Es Un Milagro" 2011.02.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 9:54 AM

TiVo:

"Es Un Milagro" After the medevac helicopter crashes, the doctors rush to save their patients and the pilots; Ryan looks for a missing girl; Lily discovers a secret.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 11:46 PM

No one's posted anything yet? It's as I suspected then: I'm the only person watching this show!

Whatever, I still like how cheesily bad/wonderful this show is. My favorite thing is how it can make me laugh during moments that I'm absolutely sure the show never meant for me to laugh at. Like when Cole, Ben and Tommy were running from the helicopter with the impaled pilot, and there was a slow mo bit of terrible CGI with the copter exploding behind them. The look of intensity on Zach Gilford's face when the "flames" exploded behind him, cracked me right up.

Also, that crop of coca plants going off into infinity? So, am I to understand the cops have been searching for Lily's Coke Dealer Boyfriend for days (weeks? months?), but haven't been able to find him because he's just that wily - yet Lily was able to just roll on up in a taxi? Wow, she really is just the smartest, most gifted woman who ever did anything ever, isn't she?!

I liked Ryan's story with the girl, and I was actually a little moved even when she had Ben examine her. He tells her she's dying, and she tells him she loves him too. The over the top soapiness of the situation probably should have made me giggle, but instead I was pretty impressed with how the actors sold it. I didn't giggle even a little with how teary they both seemed. I assume Ben's comatose wife will be donating a heart soon, because Ryan's too awesome to die. Plus, she makes Ben seem less wooden, so she must live!

I really hated how Cole made that psycho power play with Mina over that woman's cut open spinal column though. So that's him NOT on heroin? Good to know.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 12:59 AM

LOL, I'm still watching too. I've no idea why I like this show but I do.

Oh Matteo. I was rooting for you and Lily but I'm having a hard time coming up with a good excuse for having a cocaine farm. Unless it turns out that he's some sort of Narcotics agent and he's deep undercover in the local drug kingpin's organization. Yeah, I'm going to go with that for now.

Liked that there was no Alma this episode. Tommy and Charlie make a much better duo.

Ryan still rocks, even if she's a bit reckless considering her condition. But I guess she figures she's on borrowed time anyway so might as well go full throttle. She definitely must live.

I wish they'd find more for Zee to do.

And just what is wrong with grape flavor?

Edited by rove3, Feb 24, 2011 @ 1:00 AM.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 3:10 AM

Ha, I like this show too and I'm not afraid to admit it. I think it has genuinely gotten A LOT better. The first episodes were cringeworthy, but I think the storylines and overall writing is much improved. Unlike Greys, I actually like most of the characters on this show.

I continue to be completely sold on this Ryan/Keaton romance. It could be cheesy, but they have enough chemistry that I am buying it. I'm still not a 100% what he is doing with Lily, but that seems to be more of a professional friendship than anything else.

I liked Mina's storyline tonight. I was actually surprised her patient died, although I should have seen that coming.

Charlie and plastics are good together. Charlie is definitely one of the breakout stars of this show. Him living in a fancy schmancy time share was kind of hilarious, although it was a bit jarring to see that when they seem to go overboard to create this really primitive atmosphere. For god's sake, why aren't they all over at Charlie's every night watching TV and hanging out in air conditioning?

The pilot stuff was my least favorite. Overall, it was pretty boring.

I feel like they are going a little overboard with Cole suddenly having these major cravings for heroin or whatever. I know he just visited his dealer and all, but why was he suddenly all jumpy and shaking. I don't get the feeling he is using again. I kind of want to say --- writers, pace yourselves.

I think one of the best things the show did was stop trying to recreate the Grey's Intern vs. Attending thing and instead have all of these doctors working together largely as equals. I am really enjoying Cole and Mina working together. I still cringe a bit when Keaton declares some life lesson about the jungle, but luckily that isn't too often anymore.

Fingers crossed they don't cancel this.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 6:25 AM

Him living in a fancy schmancy time share was kind of hilarious,

That was the one moment last night that cracked me up and surprised me. Well played show, didn't see that coming.

Good episode but, annoyed at the promo monkeys that made me think something was going to happen to one of them. Bad promo monkeys. I though Mina's reaction to the patient dying was a bit strange / over the top. Really were they that friendly? Hasn't she lost anyone since that kid in the states? I didn't get why the water works..., not like that. Plus I kind of feel like maybe they shouldn't be so shocked that people die down there, this isn't some major city hospital... it is amazing more people don't die.

I felt bad for Lilly - I am thinking Mateo is a criminal... but good thing she didn't find out until she got some. Ben still acts like he is jealous but I felt it coming from a more professional place last night.. I think... Martin Henderson is still smoking hot.

Cole... don't get what was happening there... if he can have that kind of reaction just thinking about heroin... maybe time for a new career? Just thinking out loud. Ryan as usual good to watch, but, I mean heart failure isn't immediately fatal... she could have 2 or 3 years with the right meds and precautions. Sure she will need a transplant but.. not right now. If she could trek though the jungle with the girl on her back... she has years.

Agree with the poster up thread that they all seem to be stepping more on the equals footing at the moment... which I think suits the show better. They don't have to be reminded every 10 seconds that they are new for the audience to know that.

TorontoFan

TorontoFan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 8:56 AM

I'm really wavering about this show. Parts of the episodes really draw me in, then others just seem ludicrous.

Little girl falls out of a helicopter into the jungle with just a sprained ankle? Ryan is in heart failure but can walk for miles into the jungle, and then carry a 90ish lb kid on her back? Timeshare unit unused for SIX months? Mateo's field of cocaine is wide open for anybody to drive up to, with nary an armed guard in sight. But the cops can't find it, or him. When he kept looking anxiously back at the house, my fear was that a wife was going to appear.

But then some of the good? Loved the storyline for JosÚ Z˙˝iga and Jayne Brook (had to look them up in IMDB) with the chuckle about the wheelchair ramp in the jungle. Wasn't it GA, that had an intern drilling into a guy's head in the ferry disaster? At least then, she was using a power drill.

All of the young doctors were shown to be competent and skilled for once. Nice to see

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 9:17 AM

When he kept looking anxiously back at the house, my fear was that a wife was going to appear.

I thought that too. Oh, he's married, nope it's cocaine. Was that the "sister" he was protecting? Mateo's hotness must blind the cops from seeing the gazillion coca plants on his property.

Charlie living in the time share was awesome. If he wanted friends he should've told them, they'd have been at his house every night.

I like Ryan/Keaton. They should keep them together and forget about him and Lily. Ryan's a much better match for him since she appears to be Superwoman with walking through the jungle carrying a 90lb girl while in heart failure.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

I thought Cole was an alcoholic?

If that is the case, would he have a craving for a heroin too?

If he's not an alcoholic and an addict of something else, then never mind my question.

Yes, the characters on this show are definitely more likable than on Grey's, even when they're hunting for Nazis or failing to pick up a Spanish book. I'll admit I watch this show primarily for Zach Gilford, but the other actors on this show work well too.

Edited by DS1, Feb 24, 2011 @ 9:25 AM.

TorontoFan

TorontoFan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 11:15 AM

I thought Cole was an alcoholic?

He is a recovering drug addict, which is why there was all of the angst about sending him off to score drugs last week.

Pretty sure they've shown him drinking beer on the porch.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 1:38 PM

I agree there are plenty of things that don't make sense, but after watching the absurdities on Greys for 7 seasons, I can forgive a certain amount. Plus, Martin Henderson makes it go down better.

I like that Ben and Ryan are complicated. Weirdly, the comatose wife adds an interesting element to the relationship - so long as she DOESN'T have a miraculous recovery. I keep wondering if they intended to have Ben and Lily hookup and then quickly realized there was no chemistry there --- or is she still part of the master plan. I hate that Ben does seem a little jealous of mateo.

I think the whole Mina breakdown was to show that this kid dying is still weighing heavily on her. I thought the actress did a pretty good job, but it still seemed a tad much.

But, overall I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. There is something nicely uncomplicated about this show. It is reasonably entertaining and the people are pretty to look at. For now, that is good enough for me.

captain sam

captain sam

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, Alias, Battlestar Galactica, Bones, Blade: The Series, The Cosby Show, CSI, Eureka, Firefly, Friday Night Lights, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, The Inside, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Ugly Betty, Veronica Mars, Wonderfalls, Xena

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

This show is weird. I always laugh at it when I'm pretty sure they didn't intend me to (Slow mo helicopter explosion!!! Sappy jungle miracle music!) but then I end up with tears in my eyes over other things. Mamie Gummer really sold me on how devastating it was to lose her patient. After all that--scoring drugs for her husband, saving them from the helicopter wreck, off-the-cuff spinal surgery, drilling an emergency hole in her skull--it still wasn't enough.

I'm also sold on Ryan and Ben. I would love it if the show didn't go for the obvious Ben/Lily storyline and instead developed some kind of amazing professional mentor/mentee relationship. All of Ben's talk about her Lily's "instincts" is obviously meant to tell us that she's in it for the long haul. If they show her becoming the next Ben, I think that could be an interesting journey. Much more interesting than her ~forbidden romance~ with Mateo, which has them conveniently glossing over her established reason for coming to the jungle, recovering from the death of her fiance.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 3:40 PM

I'm also sold on Ryan and Ben. I would love it if the show didn't go for the obvious Ben/Lily storyline and instead developed some kind of amazing professional mentor/mentee relationship.

I really like Ben and Ryan together as well. They seem a much better match to me and I just love Ryan's spunk and heart (hee).

I'm actually not reading any jealousy in Ben regarding Matteo. Now Ben has never really seemed all that into Lily to me. In the early episodes it looked like it was more coming from Lily's side. She arrived at the clinic, saw a handsome doctor and was interested. Then she found out he was taken and went on about her business. It's not hard to get over what never existed in the first place. In an interview one of the actresses (Ryan or Lily, I can't recall which one) said that Ben has a professional admiration and respect for Lily and IMO that was borne out in his comments to her about her having the best instincts he's seen in a long time. So here's to hoping that they stick with that mentor/mentee dynamic. I'm also hoping that remark is foreshadowing that Matteo will turn out to NOT be a criminal and that there's a perfect Shondaland explanation for why he's living on a coca plant farm.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

I was distracted at the end - what was the explanation for Charlie living in the expensive condo? Is he just squatting?

I also felt like Mina's reaction to the wife dying was a bit over the top. If she's going to have breakdown every time she loses a patient maybe she should re-think her line of work.

I can also kind of see where they're going with Ryan - there will be some patient in the future that dies and she'll get his or her heart.

statsgirl

statsgirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 7:10 PM

Charlie is house-sitting for time share condos when no one is using them. Loved how when Plastics put the wet bottle on the wood table, Charlie rushed over to put a coaster under it. My mother would approve.

Mina identified with the wife the last episode so it was especially hard to have her die. Linny said that she had screwed up her life till she came to the jungle and that set her straight and gave her everything, the whole 'I was lost but now I'm found' thing. Mina also screwed up back home and now she's thinking maybe the jungle will fix her also. Plus Linny trusted her completely so Mina felt even more that she had let her down.

I would love to think that Ben/Ryan is the end game but every time they put him into a scene with Lily when it doesn't need to be him in there, such as the last scene when she's stocking drugs this episode or last week when she was the one to pull him out of the OR and give him a talking to when it should have been Zee or Cole (the most junior person tells off the boss, yeah, right), my heart sinks.

The actors who played the medivac pilots were very good. And the Plastics/ Charlie relationship is great.

So Ryan is in heart failure but she could piggyback a 90 lb kid back from the jungle; I should be so lucky to have heart failure like that. And speaking of her heart failure, Zee was sugar-coating it with 'So you'll get a heart transplant too' because Chagas disease attacks multiple organs, not just the heart.

I did love Ryan's speech to God.

Ms Panda Bear

Ms Panda Bear

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2011 @ 2:49 AM

Yeah. I enjoyed Ginger's speech to God. She's no Charlie Bartlett, but it wasn't terrible. It was pretty solid.

But I'm still just tuning in week to week to see Matt Saracen. Gilford and Charlie are my primary reason for watching this show at all. Chuck bland-as-oatmeal dead-fiance chick. They had the perfect opportunity with the helicopter crash. She could have been in it. It could have landed on her. She could have suffered mental trauma and been sent home. So many excuses.

Maybe the medicine man can take her place. Or the chick with no english from the bar. Or a freaking coconut IV line. Anything. Absolutely anything. She's dreadful. The blonde, the ex(?)-addict and the one with the plants can stay. The guy with the rotating accent is acceptable in my opinion if not particularly commendable.

Turtle

Turtle

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2011 @ 4:15 PM

Still watching the show! And for all its cheesiness and obviousness, I find it entertaining. And "entertaining" is all I demand from a show. I appreciate the shows that offer more, and I am more committed to those shows (although they are fewer are farther between these days), but I can hang with a show that is just base-line entertaining. Especially when that show features ZG.

OLynn

OLynn

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

Hey over here (raises hand) I like this show too! I didn't at first, but it's grown on me. I really hope it doesn't get cancelled. For me it's the characters. I actually like ALL of them even the Perfect Girl, and if you make me care about the characters, I will gladly suspend my disbelief on anything else. I think too this show hits a note for me in my own life right now so there's that, and I don't look for anything too accurate medically speaking although funny enough I think this show does better than PP does at times from a medical perspective, especially in the ethical department. I enjoy how the doctors here have to wing things and make if up as they go. The acting is all decent enough most of the time and really good on occasion. I thought this latest epi was the best so far. Everyone seems to be bonding, Charlie rocked it, and I cared about every storyline. Can't remember when that happened for me on P.P.

frk

frk

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2011 @ 9:40 AM

Still watching, still enjoying it :)

Though I seem to be the only one her who really doesn't care about Clarke and her heart. Had Ben not outright said that he loves her had I never noticed, all I see are his longing looks at Lily.

Love the rest of them. The Cole and Mina scenes felt a bit too much like Burke and Yang, but I prefer these two and especially the fact that Cole did tell Ben in the end.
Plastics and Charlie are cute...