The Secret Circle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1746 replies to this topic

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I noticed this week that The Secret Circle is now up on the USA catalogue for Netflix streaming. No idea when I'll have time to watch it again but I am just happy its available somewhere for watching after the whole "we aren't gonna put it out to buy on disc" nonsense. I think all media should be available for others to experience after initial release even if it wasn't a success.

Speaking of Netflix USA I watched a film with Thomas Dekker in the other day called From Within which surprisingly had Brit Robinson in! And had a heavy Witchcraft focus to the plot! And she was actually likeable, albeit in a far smaller role than Dekker, who's character was also more likeable than Adam was. (I don't think she and Dekker had scenes together from what I remember though)

Not the most amazing film but it was a solid teen horror film. Story revolves around a town struck by a curse causing the townsfolk to commit suicide. I liked it a fair bit
It expires October 1st from the Netflix library so if anyone is interested, this is the last day to catch it (unless its one of those Netflix bait and switches where they renew the license like 2 days after removing it. But those situations are rare)

The film does reinforce an opinion of mine though. I have watched a few films the last year with TSC alums.
  • Chris Zylka: The Amazing Spider-Man; The People I've Slept With
  • Thomas Dekker: Angels Crest; From Within
  • Jesica Parker Kennedy: 50/50
  • Phoebe Tonkin: Tomorrow When the War Began
and they were all (with the exception of Tonkin, who was hampered by her bland character in TWtWB) far batter acted and likeable/charismatic than they were in The Secret Circle. These people are good actors who were failed by the awful writing team on this show. Its amazing to see them in other projects and find them more fully rendered as people and allowed to act even when they play very small parts in some of the the films. I would say Zylka in TASM was allowed to display far more depth in his bit part than in all his running time as Jake And JPK in 50/50 who's role was basically "girl in a bar that goes home with one of the leads" was way more defined than Melissa was most of the time.

It makes me wish someone would take the cast and reboot the show with a new creative story team to actually do justice to the premise and the acting talent that was squandered. It made me so mad when I saw on another board a paraphrased quote from a CW exec at this years Up Fronts stating that they thought the show didn't do well because there weren't enough hot guys (read male model types)! It boggles the mind that people could blame the actors not being eye-candy and letting the writing team off the hook (not to mention that the show did have great looking guys, Zylka and Grey Damon for the heartthrob fans, Dekker for the more "Cute guy" fans, That guy who went to the party with Cassie that she later immolated, the kid from the killing who was non conventionally handsome, and the male parents actors and Isaac for the fans older men fans too).

God what a missed opportunity this show was at times and yet I still love the actors, idea and the early eps so much and will never forget it!

Edited by Sonicsean34, Sep 30, 2012 @ 10:13 AM.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:47 AM

It made me so mad when I saw on another board a paraphrased quote from a CW exec at this years Up Fronts stating that they thought the show didn't do well because there weren't enough hot guys (read male model types)! It boggles the mind that people could blame the actors not being eye-candy and letting the writing team off the hook.

Man, this show never had a chance at all, did it? Sure, it's because the guys weren't hot enough, not because oh... except the hotness there wasn't much else going on!

As a matter of fact, I found Zylka plenty hot but about as interesting as wet cardboard: I'd probably loved the charater more had they just had him standing around shirtless doing nothing instead of miring him in idiotic love triangles and half-assed redemption arcs.
I knew from T:TSCC that Dekker was capable of being a compelling actor, but for the life of me I'd never have said that from TSC. Lovely eyes, sure, but half the time it seemed like I could see him wondering what the hell was he doing there.

Did it never occur to the eagles of the CW that maybe fans could be a tad disappointed with a magic show where almost nobody actually did magic?
Or that saying that a couple is destined doesn't mean you can shirk showing us why they are attracted to each other and what makes them amazing together?
Or that there are more compelling storylines than Love Triangle upon Love Triangle upon Love Quadrangle?
Or that creating a show with magic doesn't mean you can do whaterver because magic, but instead that logic and internal consistency are still to be expected?

THAT's why TSC tanked.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

The Chiller channel is going to start showing reruns on November 13th.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

The chiller channel? I will have to see if I have that.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Phoebe Tonkin was on Vampire Diaries last week. Looks to be a recurring role so I think she'll be around for several episodes.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 3:41 AM

I think Phoebe Tonkin was the best thing about this show and I think if the show had been more about Faye, Diana and Melissa, than about the Love Triangle, it might have done better in the end.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 3:56 AM

Phoebe Tonkin is appearing in Vampoire Diaries, Jessica Parker Kennedy in 90210 but no sign of Shelley Hennig getting any work which is a shame because I really thought she was the breakout actress as Diana.