The Secret Circle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1746 replies to this topic

MidnightCupcake

MidnightCupcake

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:26 AM

Another good ep! I actually really hope this show doesn't get cancelled.

It's refreshing to see Adam and Melissa hanging out and working together, like actual simple friends. It seems like when most of the other Circle members interact with each other, their interactions are full of snarky put-downs and / or sexual tension. Maybe it's because Melissa is coming off as the most normal character.

Which might well change with Nick being back. So was that the original plan for his character? I always thought they killed him off kind too early... he never got much character development alone or with the rest of the Circle. Let's see what we get.

Papa Blackwell is quite the magnificent evil dude, too. He makes all the other 'evil' characters look totally incompetent.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:26 AM

This is exactly what I feel. When Adam gave his speech the morning after drinking the elixir, I really bought that it worked on him. But since then? I feel he's just been putting on a front for Cassie while trying to move on with his life, after assuming she had gotten over him.

I loved Diana standing between Ian and Cassie in the eraly half of the episode. Big sister will not let baby sister murder people with magic. (It's confirmed that Diana is older, right?)

I think Adam is pretending and the elixir didn't work on him either. I think he also put up a good front for Cassie that morning, and he has been nursing heartbreak as well and that is why he snapped at the jock that was flirting with Melissa and Faye, and why he has been on edge ever since. I hate the fact that the Curse was fabricated by Blackwell because that was a very interesting and wonderful take on the star-crossed lovers/ written in the stars trope. Now, we've gone back to boring Adam+Cassie Forevah.

Diana standing in front of Cassie actually sent a shiver down my spine. I watch this show half-heartedly most of the time but wow, did that moment make me sit up and pay attention. You can be forgiven for thinking Diana is the older sister. Shelley is older than Britt and it shows.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Something that confuses me: when did they find Diana's family crystal? I'd swear that last episode they only had Cassie's, Melissa's and finally Jake's.

Diana's crystal is the dead one that Dawn and Charles drained, but they don't know that. They think the crystal they found in Dawn's pill bottle belongs to Faye's family, but it's actually from Diana's family. The crystal Charles "found" is from Faye's family, the one Dawn and Charles got hold of after killing Henry.

However, the circle seems incapable of doing basic math, because if there are six crystals, they should be thinking that crystal Charles "found" is from Diana's family. Either they assume Charles found Diana's crystal somewhere, or they think Diana's crystal is still missing and Charles found a substitute somewhere, maybe from some other circle. But the latter wouldn't form the Crystal Skull if they need the same six from their own circle.

So, they're dumb.

Myrrhine

Myrrhine

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

It's refreshing to see Adam and Melissa hanging out and working together, like actual simple friends. It seems like when most of the other Circle members interact with each other, their interactions are full of snarky put-downs and / or sexual tension. Maybe it's because Melissa is coming off as the most normal character.

I really liked this part too. And I am excited that Nick is alive, although it is bound to mess with the confidence and calmness Melissa has had lately.

I am pleased that Diana is the other Blackwell child. I thought it was ridiculous that she thought she could just "quit" the circle last episode. She was the one who insisted upon binding the circle and all of the togetherness. As pointed out upthread, now she is over it just because it seriously inconveniences her when she tries to date... the most inconvenient love interest ever? Finally, why was Jake so upset about Cassie's grandma dying? He was the only one at the wake besides Cassie who seemed to be on the verge of tears.

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

I really liked this part too. And I am excited that Nick is alive, although it is bound to mess with the confidence and calmness Melissa has had lately.

That is the one reason I'm not too excited for the return of Nick. Melissa has finally stopped acting like a grieving widow. I can't see Nick staying alive for long or if he does he is supposedly the traitor witch so she will end up having to ultimately choose the circle instead of him. I enjoy seeing happy Melissa and this is bound to bring up more ANGST in her storyline and I don't really want to have a rehash of that.

Edited because the "i before e except after c" rhyme still comes in handy at my age.

Edited by nicole8705, May 2, 2012 @ 9:07 AM.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

I really wish I hadn't known that Nick would be back because that reveal would have killed me. It was still pretty satisfying though. I love that Diana's better than Cassie. That she doesn't want to use her dark magic. Because I think Cassie's starting to go overboard. She was about to kill Nick without even questioning him first! And she is kind of blind in regard to her father.

I still wish Faye was Blackwell's daughter too, despite Dawn pretty much admitting they tried and failed to have a child together. Maybe she's lying to keep Faye safe from him. Who knows?

Charles kicked all kinds of ass in this episode. His scene with Diana was heartbreaking and I was totally rooting for him against Blackwell. I've really grown to love Charles.

I love Faye/Jake, I think their badness together is just so great. I like it when they have an equal relationship, like they've been having lately, instead of her being so desperate for him. They're great together.

I'm dying for tomorrow's episode now! More Nick!!

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

Spoiler article with Chris Zylka discussing Nick and Faye/Jake.

http://www.tv.com/ne...1-moment-28541/

Spoiler

Edited by badhabit, May 3, 2012 @ 7:43 PM.

ComeWhatMay

ComeWhatMay

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I really loved the flashback to 1995. Beyond being informative, that flashback let Diana know just how much her mother loved her & Cassie just how reprehensible her father really is. I get Diana blaming Cassie for trusting Blackwell, but I cannot blame Cassie for wanting to believe the best about her Dad. Or a teenage Amelia for being swept away by him... Lots of teenage girls get mixed up with the wrong guys. I knew some. Let's just say the guys didn't hang around to raise the kids. I suppose being witches & warlocks in a circle was the incentive for the boys to man up & the girls to woman up, but in a small sense it was an idealized depiction of teenage parenthood pre-boatyard fire. No one seems to have cut & run.

Now that Diana knows her Dad Charles killed Amelia, Diana should come to understand how Cassie's blinders came to be & go from there.

I get the feeling Cassie now knows the curse is bullshit, but sees there are bigger fish to fry at present. Thank goodness! I could be wrong, but there was something about the way Cassie looked at Adam at the end. The curse would have come up in the conversation between Adam's grandfather & Amelia if there was one, right? -- rather than "what do I tell Ethan?" I really pitied Adam's mother when I heard that too. Being with a guy who doesn't really want to be with you, but feels stuck/is staying because there is a kid? Now there's a teenage parenthood scenario that resonated with me.

I hope Adam gets a moment with Ethan like Diana had with 1995 Lizzie. I want Adam to hear Ethan say that he wouldn't change having Adam for anything. Feeling like your parent regrets having you is a feeling no child should have & drunk Ethan going on about Amelia certainly would have given that impression to Adam.

JamieNT

JamieNT

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Bringing Nick back just to kill him again after one episode was weak. I would have liked it if they had kept him around for some sibling interactions, but oh well.

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

CW has renewed TVD, SPN and 90210. Not a good sign for TSC...

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

So now both Cassie and Diana's eyes are open as to their fathers' creepiness! Some good stuff this episode! The actresses play off each other very well, and I think I actually like Cassie now! Adam and Melissa had another great scene, and the final fight with Nick was pretty well done, with Jake's feelings for his brother causing him to hesitate, but Melissa finally acknowledging that this wasn't Nick and acting on it.
I'm wondering what Faye thought she could do to help or whether she was somehow compelled by Blackwell to make herself vulnerable? (I loved her comment about not having brought 'demon chasing shoes')

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

So wait, their moms got knocked up in high school? I figured they were in their early twenties when they had kids, since circles have to be around the same age and Jake and Nick's parents already had a three year old when the rest of the current circle was conceived. It would have been much more logical to have Amelia in the school solely to visit Adam's grandfather, and have Elizabeth working in the main office or something.

As fun as it is to hate John Blackwell, it was great seeing Charles get his cumuppance. Acting all indignant toward Blackwell for being a manipulative destructive psycho is a little rich when you've recently murdered a woman in a horrific fashion to get her daughter to move. Blackwell deserves to be spurned and alone, but so does Charles. Sucks for Diana, though.

I was glad Melissa was the one to kill Nick.

sacreseries

sacreseries

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:47 AM

Bringing Nick back just to kill him again after one episode was weak. I would have liked it if they had kept him around for some sibling interactions, but oh well.

I totally agree. They (again) waisted Nick's character.
Even, if it's getting better, I sur won't miss this show.

spanishrake

spanishrake

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:56 AM

What I want to know is....Does no one else in town know of this abandoned house / teen witch playhouse in the woods that's chock full of cool witchy shit? Any ya-hoo could break in through the unsecure dilapitated boarded windows. Does it even have locks? How is it that nothing gets stolen? I can't help but wonder every time I see it.

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

I really enjoyed this episode. I figured that Nick would not be here for long and Melissa was ultimately going to have to choose but it played out very well. I really hope this show comes back it seems to have finally found its groove and I'm finding that I'm actually enjoying the show instead of just enjoying making fun of the crazy.

I would really be disappointed if it ended and I still hadn't figured out this circle thing. Maybe you guys can help. I've gathered that it seems the witch "trait" is inherited. But is it by one family member or both family members, if so who is it for each member of the current circle. All the parents we seen so far seem to have some knowledge of the magic but is it as witches or just pawns to the circle? I'm assuming each parent that died had magical powers but many of the remaining parents seem to have had powers as well. What are the odds that all these individuals met up with someone that was actually a witch.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

You know what, fuck this show, it doesn't deserve renewal! They had the chance to fix one of the biggest creative and narrative mistakes and they just fucked it up. Why bring back Nick if you weren't gonna do anything good with him, why dangle that carrot in front of the fans! I could handle him being knocked out and then magically incapacitated till they had time to fix his psyche next season (And really if a crystal can bring people back from death like Dawn and the girl Faye killed a crystal skull should have no problem with bringing Nick back to full health). Its just narratively bankrupt, imagine what they could have done with an arc on his recovery, how his return affected the different circle members over a long time period. Seriously bring a guy back from the dead and use him poorly in a single ep just to kill him again is a gimmick and not a plot and so soon after the "yay Jane is back! WTF they killed her off!?" just kills all good will the writers have earned recently. Cannot believe they got me excited about this show again several eps ago. I will of course watch the last ep but other than that I don't know, luckily the CW seem to make it easy for everyone.

On another note, find a replacement Meade sibling and throw Diana in a wood chipper! I've just had it with her. First we had "Hey Adam? You know how you love me but you have a connection with Cassie due to some magic thats out of your control but still want to be with me? well fuck that I'll dump you! Then whine about it forever as though you dumped me for her, then will sleep with you again and immediately be dismissive of the very idea of getting back with you, even though you'll focus on getting me back for several eps! And once I finally make you give up and you turn your attention to Cassie who I've basically pushed you to in spite of your reluctance I will whine and whine about it because I am a colossal bitch!" then "well I am better than you Cassie you murdering whore! Fuck you for killing that guy who was about to flambé me on hallow-e'en" now the only thing she takes from the flashback is "everything is Cassie and her mom's fault fuck you! I am leaving the circle for my random Australian who can't even convincingly act like a person as his acting sucks so bad!" she is just irredeemable as s person at this point. Worse than self involved "killing doesn't phase me" Cassie and not even as nice as Faye who tries to be professional bitchy teen girl trope!

God i hope Dekker finds a great job worthy of him quickly after they cancel this show and salt the earth so it may never grow back. Same probably with JPK but I'm ticked off at her due to Mellisa's actions which granted aren't the actress' fault but I am just being irrational over Mellisa murdering Nick instead of smacking him unconscious with something heavy!

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I know we've been more privy to Blackwell's machinations but was Cassie really that surprised to learn he was kind of a manipulative dick? That's what everyone had been telling her about him anyway. At any rate, at least we learned why everyone got knocked up in high school. It was like a Lifetime movie. But with magic.

I'm glad Diana found out about Charles. Maybe she'll cut Cassie some slack about trusting Blackwell. Diana and her high horse were getting on my nerves.

CW has renewed TVD, SPN and 90210. Not a good sign for TSC...

Those are the gimme renewals, it really doesn't mean anything either way.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

So, let me get this straight... all these kids got married and had babies in high school? And had babies at the same time? Really? And no one is noticing just how strange that was until now???

Faye gets all the best lines: "I wish I had brought my demon chasing shoes"... "Why do demons always have to hang out in spooky, dirty places? Why can't they hang out in the mall?"

Having Nick come back just to be killed again at the end of the episode was the latest of a long line of stupid storytelling choices the show has been making.

Maxymama

Maxymama

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

In the flashback, we only saw Cassie's mom talk about Blackwell being bad. Everyone has been suspicious about everyone else and are frequently wrong. I am not taking Amelia's word for it. Where's the proof? Except for him derailing the Adam/Cassie relationship, what has he done that is really bad? He tricked Charles into killing Cassie's grandma because they were trying to kill him. Charles and Dawn are/were killing like there's no tomorrow, Diana's grandma tried to kill Cassie. Am I missing details about Blackwell's evilness?

I love the actor playing Charles. Since the news about Diana's parentage, he has been bringing the charming, sympathetic, loving dad to the party. The haircut helps his cute factor too. But I am not forgetting he's an coldblooded killer. This show is weird; I trust no one. It's the ultimate Three's Company rip-off: if people would just talk to each other (and their parents) most of these things wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Maxymama, May 4, 2012 @ 9:52 AM.

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

So, let me get this straight... all these kids got married and had babies in high school? And had babies at the same time? Really? And no one is noticing just how strange that was until now???

Are we sure that they even got married? I was under the impression that the pairs were just boyfriend/girlfriend having premarital sex. Maybe Nick/Jake's parents were married since they had Jake before the pregnancy spell happened.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

It was a little off putting to find out that every single adult is supposed to be 34 at the oldest when Joe Lando is clearly anything but, but I do like that it's no longer a "conincidence" that they all had kids at the same time. But rather than it be a Blackwell scheme I'd have preferred some culpability on their part. They all knew they'd be creating a next generation circle, but then realized that Blackwell would control their kids and freaked.

So Blackwell knew Charles had killed Amelia but kept it in check until he could use it? That is honestly the most evil behavior we've seen from him. The love of his life was murdered but he put it in his back pocket until he could use it.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

It was a little off putting to find out that every single adult is supposed to be 34 at the oldest when Joe Lando is clearly anything but

I find it weird, and not only is Lando anything but, Gale Harold (Diana's father) is 43! They could have solved this odd problem by moving the action back 20 years, or had the parents be college students, or by casting younger actors as the parents, but no, LOL.

Also what happened to Jake's obsession with Cassie? They completely dropped that storyline, and had him rehook with Faye--they do make a hotter connection, but it completely screwed up an established storyline.

This show is a mess, but hell, I still sort of dig it.

fnftw

fnftw

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

I don't know if it's the actor or how they write his character, but I have to say, John Blackwell isn't that believable as an influential, charismatic, seductive and magnetic leader. He just seems like some threatening force that everyone's afraid of, that's all. It's hard to believe he was so adored by all, doesn't seem believable to me.

Gale Harold can pass for 36 which would make him a father at 20 which is what I originally thought was the parents' circle age (20-22). Never imagined they all had babies when they were in freaking high school. Pfffft.

Poor Diana... both her fathers turned out such disappointments to her. I personally love Charles, though I'm not sure his "I did everything for you" sits well with killing Amilia. How was that for her exactly? And what the hell was Blackwell so pleased about anyway? Charles killed Amilia and he never even bothered to address this since he got back? wtf? Makes me think he never really loved Amilia or anyone else for that matter. I wonder if they end the season with Charles sacrificing himself in favor of Diana/Cassie's life (maybe both) standing up to Blackwell so he could redeem himself in Diana's eyes. I kinda hope not, I want him to stick around if the show gets renewed.

So what's Dawn's story anyway? Who's she siding with? At first I had no doubt Blackwell was her man, though after this episode it didn't seem so.

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

So what's Dawn's story anyway? Who's she siding with? At first I had no doubt Blackwell was her man, though after this episode it didn't seem so.

I can't get a handle on where Dawn's loyalites lie either. She seems to side with whoever is in front of her at the moment. Perhaps Faye being in peril will clear things up with her and the audience.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

This show is just so bad. So, if I remember correctly, Jake left 3 years ago (I for some reason remember him/Faye saying that during his first episode -- which happened to be my last before last night)...but he was going to take Faye to the prom 2 years ago? Ok then. Jake/Nick's parents were making babies at 14 or so? Or were their parents older than everyone else? Not one single actor emotes in a way that makes sense. That Brit chick is horrid. Her stomp walk in the junk yard had me cracking up.

shesajar

shesajar

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Was I the only one yelling at my tv when first Cassie, then Cassie *and* Diana, smeared blood from an open wound all over a presumably dirty floor?

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

No, you weren't! I was horrified! How unhygienic.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

I think Dawn's on Charles's side because she called to warn him about Blackwell and lied to Blackwell about how she kept Charles from moving. And I've forgiven Charles for all his murdering and I want Diana to love him again. I know it's unreasonable, but I just love Charles!

And I love Faye/Jake! They're the best couple this show's had (well, Dawn/Blackwell could have been awesome). Here's hoping Faye's kidnapping is handled well.

Grant just needs to leave. And stay gone.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

I once again really enjoyed TSC. It is by no means a perfect show, but they rarely are. It has found its groove though. The ratings are up 20% so I'm hoping that means good things for renewal.

The whole teen babies/marriage thing didn't shock me, but I was glad they finally explained. I think some of the parents were older. Nick/Jake's parents definitely were, possibly Melissa's as well. Hell, Charles and Dawn might even be older. All we know for sure is that Amelia and Elizabeth were still in high school when all this went down, and it sounds like it was Amelia who forced Blackwell on the group. The flashbacks were pretty tragic to see it all fall apart, and lifetime friendships destroyed by Blackwell, but it paralleled the present quite nicely. Cassie and Diana were exactly like their mothers. History is always doomed to repeat itself, and that is what Blackwell has counted on all along. I think he probably did love Amelia, was amused by Dawn, and has some respect for Elizabeth, but NONE of that matters against his true goals. They're all expendable to him, and so are his daughters. I got really creeped out when Blackwell was just standing there waiting for an upset Diana. I could care less for Grant (and seriously am starting to believe he's not who he says he is) but thank God he was there. Diana did not need to see Blackwell then.

The Diana/Cassie dynamic continues to intrigue me. I like the chemistry between the actresses, and I like that they're clashing. Finally, both Cassie and Diana have distinct personalities and it makes sense to see them at odds. Looking forward to more between them, and I'm hoping they join forces and defeat Blackwell, and to an extent Charles (though I love him). They have to stand on their own. Also, eww to the dirty floor and bloody fingers. COME ON.

I knew they'd kill Nick off this episode, and since I never cared for him to begin with it didn't bother me. I think it was a nice wrap up for the Melissa character, and maybe now she can move on. I also think they did it to show that Jake really is a real human with feelings who cared about his brother, and felt guilt over his death. It shines a little light on why he was so willing to come back and kill the circle after Nick died. He probably blamed them (and himself).

Melissa/Adam dancing kind of worried me. I really, really like their friendship, but I don't want a romance. Adam has already been with both Diana/Cassie, is destined for Cassie and Melissa doesn't need the drama. LET THEM STAY FRIENDS ONLY.

Faye/Jake continue to rock my world. I was a little disappointed we didn't get more of them, but what we did get was great. I liked that we saw a softer side of Faye last night. She was genuinely excited for prom, and really excited to be there with Jake. The fact that she acknowledged that to him, told him she'd made the mistake of caring for him, and then said she was going to do it again was big forward progress for her. She's usually locked up like Fort Knox, but there's something about him she can't deny. I really liked that she was able to help him through his Nick issues (once again knew exactly what the problem was as she always does with him). Also, his apology about his treatment of her was a long time coming. Can't wait for more in the finale!

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

I'm confused about something. The show made it seem like there's some sort of mythology behind the circle and the families belonging to it, right? At least I thought it did. Which is part of the reason it got confusing, we didn't know who was in the circle, if it was an extra large circle, if there were two, etc. And then we find out that Blackwell is creating his own circle (centered around his blood) making sure they were all the same age so they'd presumably fall into a circle together. That makes it seem like circles aren't written in the stars or whatever, they can be made up of whichever witch. So which is it? Did I make it up that they made it seem like the families in the circle go way back to ancient times? It also doesn't fit with the crystals. Their crystals assemble into a skull, or whatever. So that supports the theory that they are a part of some serious history. If they were always going to form a circle, then why did Blackwell need to make sure they were the same age? I'm sorry, I'm confused and this is probably confusing.