The Secret Circle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1746 replies to this topic

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

I am curious as to why Diana hasn't accessed her powers yet. Maybe she's just not trying? Or she's repressing them.

I can definitely buy that Diana is repressing. She's all but checked out of the Circle, she doesn't really wanna play anymore. But also, as Cassie pointed out tonight, her own dark magic powers "activated" when Diana's grandmother tried to kill her and had no one around to help. Diana hasn't had anything like that happen to her so it remains buried so far.

Something I found interesting about the list of kids' birthdays. Adam, Faye, Cassie, Diana and Melissa were all born in a row, starting with January of '95, one per month. Was there some sort of Circle Pregnancy Pact going on?

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

But Diana's life was in danger. Remember Halloween? She was about to be killed, and she didn't tap into it. Maybe she was too scared? Cassie seems to revert to anger, while Diana's personality is more mellow. In the long run she'll probably be able to control her dark magic better than Cassie.

So the birthdays went like this - Jake, Nick, Adam, Faye, Cassie, Diana, Melissa. Blackwell must have knocked up Amelia and Elizabeth very close together. And a pregnancy pact would make sense. Perhaps Charles couldn't have children, and that's why Elizabeth slept with Blackwell? I think there has to be a pretty strong reason, because from the Charles/Blackwell interaction it doesn't seem like anything overt was going on with Blackwell/Elizabeth, yet for some reason Charles thinks Blackwell killed her. Also, I don't totally buy that Blackwell never hooked up with Dawn. Was she so delusional to make up an entire affair in a journal? I think it's more likely he was hooking up with a lot of the circle ladies, but only knocked up Amelia and Elizabeth.

ComeWhatMay

ComeWhatMay

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Something I found interesting about the list of kids' birthdays. Adam, Faye, Cassie, Diana and Melissa were all born in a row, starting with January of '95, one per month. Was there some sort of Circle Pregnancy Pact going on?

Sure seems like it... But if Blackwell was controlling everyone, he may have used his dark magic to help things along. Just saying. I don't think teen parenthood is what most of these people wanted for themselves & given the ages of the surviving parents, I am really leaning toward babies having babies in all but Nick & Jake's case.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I forgot that he show came back this week!

Diana as the other Blackwell. More Diana/Cassie rivalry? I know the hit will hit the fan when Cassie learns Charles murdered Amelia.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

This may be the first CW teen drama that is being carried by The Adults. The Adults are way more interesting than the kids.

Edited by Anthony W, Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:14 PM.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

But Diana's life was in danger. Remember Halloween? She was about to be killed, and she didn't tap into it. Maybe she was too scared? Cassie seems to revert to anger, while Diana's personality is more mellow. In the long run she'll probably be able to control her dark magic better than Cassie.

Truthfully? I don't remember that, it seems like forever ago. But I believe you. So I agree that it may be the personality differences that have made Cassie able to use her dark magic. She definitely seems to have a dark streak in her.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

So all the parents were teenagers? If so, then why did they cast people in their early 40's to play the contemporary parents, it sort of takes me out of the storyline when they talk about being teenagers 16 years ago (it is not as if any of the actors even look like they are in their early 30's.)

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

I wonder if Charles knew that his girlfriend/wife liked John Blackwell.

I still can't help but entertain the possibility that Charles was the one involved with Blackwell and used magic to have Diana. It just doesn't feel right making a dead, unseen character suddenly become unfaithful.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

What a let down. I was so sure the other Blackwell kid was Faye. How did Lee's girlfriend get access to Dark Magic then? I think the writers just changed their mind at the last minute so that it won't seem too "obvious" and since everyone was guessing Faye or Melissa and the boys are out, they picked on Diana.

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

So if Diana is not a Meade shouldn't that mean that the circle is incomplete?

NickyJean

NickyJean

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:14 AM

Her Diana's mother was part of the circle. Not to mention considering everyone her father has been killing I've been wondering how he was going to survive much longer. I also wonder if her father and Blackwell know that Dianna is a Blackwell.

dragonfirelance

dragonfirelance

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:18 AM

Ok so everyone has to be descened from a member of the last circle on both sides but not every family has to be included in a circle, and the bear minimum is six.

Edited by dragonfirelance, Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:21 AM.

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:22 AM

I also wonder if her father and Blackwell know that Dianna is a Blackwell.

It would certainly explain Charles's hatred for Blackwell.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Charles killed Amelia. He seemed so evil in that premiere episode and now he just seems....inept.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

The writers are just making things up as they go, as far as I can see.

antmoose

antmoose

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, no 'rithmetic. Exile from the North American zeitgeist but with my nose pressed right up against the glass, which is probably that annoying smear on your computer screen that you can't get rid of, no matter what spray you use.

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

"All of them together form a crystal skull! The deadliest thing in the entire world!"

Shout-out to the last Indiana Jones movie?

TobinAlbers

TobinAlbers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Her Diana's mother was part of the circle. Not to mention considering everyone her father has been killing I've been wondering how he was going to survive much longer.

Yeah, with Charles now no longer having blood ties and 3 deaths under his belt (Amelia, Nick, Jane) he's a big death just waiting to happen. Although Ethan's role in the boatyard carnage also has his hands dirty so he's prime for a death as well. Thing is both actors could rock a redemption storyline but I have a feeling Charles is going to be offed in a redemptive death to make Diana more emotionally unstable so that she'll tap into her dark side. Rather than have her torn between two daddies they'll set her adrift to be ripe for John's corruptive clutches.

Whoever said that the adults are carrying this show aren't far off. The adult circle is flawed but interesting because of the baggage they all carry while the kids are still lacking. If the show comes back for a season 2 the adults should be pushed as much as the kids in the promos with it being a witch war among the families. Everyone except Melissa has a parental unit (Jake's would be his grandad) so they'd need to cast her father as her anchor.

It just doesn't feel right making a dead, unseen character suddenly become unfaithful.

Well, dead men tell no tales so yeah, pin it on the dead people. Although a way to really mess things up is to have there have been a baby switch and Faye is Charles and Elizabeth's (?) kid and Diana is Dawn and Blackwell's. Now why there was a switch I can't fathom but there might be a reason- and a player- unknown to us so far that would explain it all.

Joe Lando was really working the menace factor and manipulations last night. You can see how he could either charm or intimidate people into doing his will.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

Whoever said that the adults are carrying this show aren't far off. The adult circle is flawed but interesting because of the baggage they all carry while the kids are still lacking. If the show comes back for a season 2 the adults should be pushed as much as the kids in the promos with it being a witch war among the families.

I suddenly want some flashback episodes. Or a whole other show about the 1995 Secret Circle. It really really sounds interesting. It's almost like we got dropped into season 10 of Degrassi: The Witchy Generation and missed the first nine seasons.

Izeinwinter

Izeinwinter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

A few thoughts: Are they really going to take Blackwells word for it that Faye *isnt* his daughter? Are we? Because it really is not either/or - If he knocked up two members of the circle, why not 3? Or more.

At the very least, Faye should try to enter the mine and see if the wards trip. Wait... we do not even know for sure that black magic passes on 100% of the time, and if it works more like having redheaded kids than a family curse, then.. Yhea gods, these kids really, really need to send some samples off for paternity testing.

Because the simplest explanation for that insane row of birth dates is that Blackwell used "love" and fertility spells to knock up *all* the women in parental circle.

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

Hit a series low 0.5 rating in the demo. I don't think this is getting renewed, hopefully they'll wrap things up nicely.

nicole8705

nicole8705

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Hit a series low 0.5 rating in the demo. I don't think this is getting renewed, hopefully they'll wrap things up nicely.

Hopefully, the CW remains lenient with this show. Especially since they've been dragging Gossip Girl on for 3 seasons too long, in my opinion. I think it is a good show to continue pairing with Vampire Diaries, I wonder if having this come on at 8 and Vampire Diaries follow it would increase ratings.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Because the simplest explanation for that insane row of birth dates is that Blackwell used "love" and fertility spells to knock up *all* the women in parental circle.

I doubt it because then that would mean Adam had sex with two of his sisters, ew. I'm willing to entertain that Faye may still be a Blackwell. But Adam and Melissa are not, they were able to go into the mine.

under the el

under the el

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Ok, now we're talking. I've been saying that the show needed more details from the book to be interesting, and this was like a full-on book-stuff episode. The crystal skull, the pregnancy dates, Faye trying to be close to John, Grandma dying- loved it all. Well, not the Grandma stuff so much, but maybe Jake's Grandad (John de Lancie, hello) can be the new go-to elder.

Couldn't they have given Callum a fake crystal? I spent a good while wondering why they can't fake the villain in The Vampire Diaries with a fake stake, and now they couldn't fake a minor bad guy with a fake crystal.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Sad to hear about those ratings. I'm really hoping they give this show another season since it finally feels like it's hitting its stride. TSC is by no means perfected, but the shown has grown quite a bit. This last episode was great, and the next 3 look promising as well. Crossing my fingers the CW holds onto it banking on the supernatural factor.

I too didn't totally buy Blackwell's claims to Faye about nothing going on with Dawn, but would the show really have Diana, Cassie and Faye all be sisters? That seems excessive. I wouldn't exactly complain, but it does feel like a bit too much. It seems more likely that Blackwell is going to be Faye's surrogate daddy, and do his best to drag her to the dark side.

tws1978

tws1978

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Donīt know what happened, but SC felt like a completely different show today. Finally we saw the whole circle involved in the main plot. And it wasnīt the usual 30 mins of Cassie/Adam and/or Jake and 10 for the rest. Truthfully, it felt so fake when Cassie tried convince Diana to stay at the end because all episodes prior have made very sure we know the rest of circle is useless and itīs always up to Cassie to save the day.

The Diana reveal is surprising because there were some hints at beginning she could be the one (with the show pointing out her magic book is full of dark magic stuff) but they dropped it and started with all the Blackwell and Faithīs mum had an affair hints instead. And that little nice moment between Blackwell and Melissa. Wonder if Blackwell even knows the truth because he seems hardly register Diana exists. But itīs always fun when the most nicest girl turns bad and all-powerfull and I think they made a good comparison between Faith, who desires nothing but the power yet ended with nothing, and Diana, who is basically over it yet now will have to live with that knowledge and responsibility liking it or not.

The main weak points of the show are still the guys. Adam and Cassie have very little chemistry and the guy playing Jake is so wooden. I wish the show just focused on the girls and their parents and kept the guys drama at minimum like today.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

No show! Bad Show! Don't kill of grandma Jane when we just got her back. Gods I really want to know what the fuck went on regarding that character, was the actress ill, did she piss off the producers, anything?! Becuase it does not make sense to me that they wasted such an potentially interesting character. She was fairly chill in the 2011 eps post learning of the circle (if a little unattentitve, I mean she should have been mentoring them instead of Cassie hunting her down at work to ask questions), and then the 2012 eps came and she has been shipped off to mental hospital during mid season hiatus! That was always so strange as they had just set up the memory issue plot line and we should have seen the fallout, how it affected Charles and Dawn in ruining Jane but nope swept under the rug sometime between the producers Christmas meals and New Year parties! I was finally just starting to get into the new status quo and happy things were coming together again after all the soft reboots this show has had and then they do this and lose me again.

This is not the show I signed up for when I watched the pilot, I've been giving it chances based on its potential but its exhausting. With Ashley Crow gone all I have left is Dekker (and wonderful John De Lance who got to not play the stock character many shows cast him in so that was awesome) but I do not trust them not to kill Adam for shock reasons or something dumb

Speaking of Adam, both this and the previous ep showed how much better he is when interacting with the other girls in the circle. And its not just becuase he had his love wiped as he and Faye sparked in the winter mid season finale when she came to tell him her suspicions regarding Jake. Alas the dumb show is probably gonna get cancled, freeing Dekker for better things I hope, which I would watch in a heart beat. The only other actor who comes close to getting that much attention in the cicle is Jessica Parker Kennedy who frequently makes the most of measly scraps they give her.

Oh well show you worked so well towards the end of Nick's reign that this hurts so much now to see what you have become. I will have to google when Teen Wolf starts back up, hopefully it wont be too long after this ends so that I can clense my pallet with a show that gets it (when really it shouldn't, TW is a fluffy summer show on paper!), heck even the main romance works better on that and I can root for Scott "his user name is Alison. His password is Alison!?" McCall's love life far more than the romances on this show (granted I will prob wake up tomorrow and my rage gone and be won over by whatever happens next week but I am enjoying my raging right now, its cathartic)

Vega01

Vega01

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

What's interesting about Diana being the other Blackwell is that this complicate things in all kinds of levels.

I think that, Diana has become disengaged with the Circle and magic because of Cassie. That's why she has snapped at her twice already in the last two episodes.

Diana used to be the most devoted member of the circle, she was their leader, she started all. She had a boyfriend who helped her and she felt special and important there. Then comes Cassie, the uber special Cassie, who is suddendly "destined" to be with her boyfriend and is also "destined" to be the leader of her circle and she has all those powers that make everybody else irrelevant. So, she feels irrelevant now, she has been replaced and her only reason to be part of all of this is to be a follower and put her life on pause just because they are now in some kind of war that basically Cassie's super special dark self attracted.

Now she is a Blackwell herself, she can tap into the same kind of magic that Cassie is privy too. She is put front and center in this war and she can recover the place she had before, but at what cost? probably an identity crisis. Especially once all the sins of the parents come to light in the (I'm guessing) not so far future.

Something else I want to comment on, Jessica Parker Kennedy has incredible chemistry with EVERYONE on this show. I could even ship her with Adam as I feel her and Dekker are excellent together. I really want that girl front and center at one point in the next season.

bostonlover

bostonlover

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

That episode seemed like a completely different show! And a pretty damn good one at that. I love mixing up the characters (Cassie/Jake/Adam on their own is unwatchable for me) and stuff actually happened!
So, the episode alone was great, but put in the context of the season I still feel like I don't know what's going on (probably b/c the writers don't know either). Like Jane's memory problems: did Charles restore her? He wasn't controlling her but she still forgot a bunch of stuff. And why can't they trust the elders? Yes, the elders would take their powers (although not the ones we've met so far), but presumably they would also help defeat the witch hunters and save the Circle's lives - that seems like a good trade-off.
Anyway, re-watching the last 10mins again, I realized that Diana being the other Blackwell child will affect her, Cassie,and Charles for sure, but that Faye will be pretty devastated and angry about it as well. She's desperate for a father figure and powers of her own, and is already competitive/insecure about Diana...that reaction should be fun to watch.
Also, I respect the show for going with Diana. I think they already did a good job of setting up the Diana/Cassie friendship despite the Adam stuff and that Diana was the initial leader but now wants out.
This episode also finally convinced me that all the kids can act (including Jake!), if only the writing could get there.
Ugh, this show has so much potential and might actually reach it; now I'll be disappointed if it gets cancelled.

Rosaria

Rosaria

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Yesterdays episode was better then usual because one Jake/Adam were not trying to hump Cassie's leg the whole time, two I felt the plot was actually moving forward slowly but still(Crystal Skull que Indiana Jones flashbacks) anyway what i was really liking about this episode we finally get to see the circle doing things together ( I swear I got all tingly during the Jake/Melissa scene) And Adam finally finally grew a personality I mean two episodes without him being attached at the hip with Cassie and loosing the whole googly-eyed emo-kid attitude i can say i'm already growing fond of this Adam. Diana being the Blackwell child Meh, but poor Charles his midlife crisis just got worse but honestly when Grandma Jane was wielding her crystal of destruction and facing Charles i expected shit to hit the fan but alas the plan backfired.....(another thing where are the police in this town people have been dropping dead repeatedly is this another mystic falls?)

Edited by Rosaria, Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:44 PM.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

I was really rooting for Melissa to be the other Blackwell. It would at last give her something essential to do. While Faye was the obvious choice to be the other Blackwell, Diana isn't that much less obvious. The only positive thing is that it means Charles got schooled again; even his own daughter isn't his own daughter.

The spelled mine pretty much rules out a third Blackwell, since we saw everybody besides Cassie and Diana venture into the mine.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 1:40 AM

I really don't like Diana's new guy or their relationship. I found him needy and nosy. I understand honesty being important, but they just met. They don't have to tell each other everything. That's not what Diana asked for in the last episode; she just doesn't want him lying to her face. But now she's ready to leave the circle to be normal. Ugh, I was hoping to avoid that classic storyline.

Also, seeing all their birthdays has reminded me, everyone but Jake in the circle is about 17 (he's 19/20), but Diana and her beau wanted champagne on their picnic? I know teenagers drink, but how many think it's normal to bring champagne on little dates? When teenagers drink, it's usually at parties or hanging out with friends, not casually on dates. That's more of an adult thing. But Diana and her guy acted like it was so normal. It just stuck out to me as weird.

I'm really upset Diana's the other Blackwell. Yes there is lots of drama potential. But Faye would make a better and more interesting Blackwell if you ask me. Also, I found it really sad how she got herself hyped up for it and she wasn't.

What was up with Melissa? First Jake rushes to defend her from Callum (again), then her and Adam have special moments. Oh well, at least she's getting these guys away from Cassie for a bit.

It was nice seeing the circle chemistry and I love the parent drama, so this was a pretty great episode. Can't wait to see more.