The Secret Circle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1746 replies to this topic

Vega01

Vega01

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

I don't know how I feel about that cos on one hand I could love the show if they fucking fixed the problems between seasons (make it an actual ensamble and don't segregate the generations of families!)

So agree. What I like about this show is the potential it has to be a pretty good show.

I think that one thing that the writers have on their favor right now is that the Cassie favoritism has avoided the ruin of other characters (except Jake for me, but I know that's not the same for other people).

And actually, if they go into another season with Faye, Diana and Melissa on the forefront and let Cassie rest for a while and work on her character to fit better with the ensamble, I think that could work very well. We already know the girls, we already care for them and them receiving main storylines would be more engaging to viewers than if they were unknowns presented in the first season.

The parents storyline is pretty good. They need to keep on with that and make the generational difference become part of their main story.

They really do have many opportunities to get better.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I read on this thread that the majority of the work is being done by the Smallvile team, I don't know where they got their info. And even after the departure of Gough and Millar, Smallville could only being called a decent show in comparison to the Lanaville of previous years, by my standards it was still way subpar.

I read that here too, which is why I went a-Googling for clarification and every article I found said that they are merely consultants -- the Smallville people have not received any writer and/or producer credits for this show thus far, so I don't think it's fair to blame Secret Circle's shortcomings on them, regardless of the quality of their past work. That may change, in that future episodes will be credited to them but so far, the people to blame (or praise, as opinion warrants) are the ones who have their names stamped on the episodes.

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, vacations, all things Irish, ice cream, music, knitting, laughing with friends, baseball (Go Sox!), food, sleep, shopping, movies and TV

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Nina Dobrev acts better than half the SC cast put together.

I actually thought Nina was terrible for a large part of Season 1 but got better as the series progressed. Perhaps we will see the same thing here.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

Perhaps like Cassie the Smallville guys are really Compelling Consultants!?
I read something yesterday that mentioned the early eps, I cant remember what it was I read but I felt wistful thinking back to the good old days... That should not be happening when you are only 15 eps into a show! I mean Glee, fucking Glee, got to 13 episodes before going off the rails.

Though instead of lamenting during this mini break between eps I think listing hopes of what we want when it comes back would be interesting. I'd love more interaction between the generations but most of all Adam confronting his Dad about being on the boat 15 years ago and lying about it. Grandma Jane also needs to return. I also hope they wrap up the witch hunter story to a point where it can be back burnered for a long while so we can have more variety. We went from Demons to being stuck with serial killing bigots, that is a downgrade producers!

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

This show pisses me off because there was so much potential and I feel like it's basically been a disjointed pile of crap. Sure the Cassie of the books was Mary Sueish but never to this extent. They really shot themselves in the foot by cutting out more than 1/2 the circle. In the books Deb/Suzan/The Henderson twins, hell even Sean looked at Cassie with dislike/suspicion - the transformation in them coming to accept her didn't happen overnight - it was *earned* which made it actually interesting.

Edited to add - And what happened with Sally? I was happy to see her but she seems to have been basically forgotten about. Not to mention that Portia and her brothers were a hell of a lot more interesting then the loser witch hunters we've been presented with here. Plus the fact that the "magic" seems more like some anime shit than the magic of the books.

Edited by Ladyraske, Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:35 PM.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Ladyraske

They really shot themselves in the foot by cutting out more than 1/2 the circle.

They can't handle 6 characters as it is, I shudder to think what a mess they would do with 12! Though I've not read the books so I don't know if the missing peoples personality would make it easier to integrate them.

hell even Sean looked at Cassie with dislike/suspicion

Okay I take that back, I could deal with them trying to Juggle 12 characters and dropping the balls if there is one with my name on screen who also hated Cassie Blake!

And yes to poor Sally disappearing, more evidence that they had a plan early on that they abandoned for the Cassie dark magic/witch hunter plot.

I did think of a plot hole(ish) A bound circle has the fatal weakness of everyone losing power if you kill even one right? So why haven't the witch hunters attacked one of the other members to de-power the non dark magic ones so that Cassie is on her own with out any back up? That would make far more sense (My God I am applying logic to this show!) As it stands the witch hunters are like Power Ranger Villains never doing the smart thing (like maybe not always attacking the town where the power rangers live for their schemes...). Actually Rita and Lord Z were far more intimidating than witch hunters so far. Even the mighty tree-proof Eben!

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

I definitely see what you are saying about 12 characters being to much for these idiots to manage, but it would have been nice if they had kept some of the ones who didn't fall head over ass in love with Cassie the second she batted her eyelashes at them /bitter.

Oh and there was none of the "bound circle" nonsense in the book either - every member could and did do magic (to varying degrees) on their own.

Edited by Ladyraske, Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:04 PM.

ardentshine

ardentshine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

In the books Deb/Suzan/The Henderson twins, hell even Sean looked at Cassie with dislike/suspicion - the transformation in them coming to accept her didn't happen overnight - it was *earned* which made it actually interesting.

I miss that too. And I also miss how even though all of the kids had to discover the truth about what killed some of their parents, you still had this sort of social divide between those who were raised in a quasi-functional, loving home and those who were raised by parents or guardians who felt so guilty about being the ones left alive that they neglected their own kids. L.J. Smith never went into all that as deeply as she could have, and so it was this glimmer that I hoped they'd bring into the series. I think it's slowly coming to the surface with Ethan, but they garbled it up at first with his never-ending grief over losing Amelia.

I still think this show has potential, and sometimes I really do find something enjoyable about an episode. Yet I always find myself feeling like I got this awesome pastry dish and realized that there wasn't any filling beneath the flaky crust. I want something more substantial; if this show is going to be my guilty pleasure show, then I want to feel sated.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Ladyraske

Oh and there was none of the "bound circle" nonsense in the book either - every member could and did do magic (to varying degrees) on their own.

What the hell!? [imagine a long string of swearing at the writers because I'm too polite to put quite [i]that much[/i] foulness on the net] What the fuck were they thinking then? The only reason why I resigned myself to bitter resentment and restrained anger of the "bound circle" nonsense was because I thought it was something they were tied to from the books.

Christ almighty, to find out they added what is one of the single most unnecessarily constraining story decisions of the show, besides the retooling after ep6, is so bloody infuriating that I could scream. How could anyone think stopping your witch characters from using magic was a good idea? The amount of times they could have had the characters go off and do their own thing if they had their magic would have been far more interesting.

Instead its "I think we should do this! But i can't do it unless you agree" when they should be able to stomp off stubborn and try themselves. Heck it could make the Adam/Jake rivalary interesting if both could do things on their own instead of being made impotent magic wise (Adam really. But has Jake used individual magic since he got back?) either running off in opposite directions to do what they think is best for Cassie or actually smacking each other with magic, would make their pissing contests viable for either one to win.

In fact the opposite is true also, with individual powers you don't need to taint a character to make them help Cassie do magic like releasing a demon from Heather

Wow the writers make me so angry, i am now even more tired than i should be at 2am just from anger and stress!

On a positive note I watched the film "Tomorrow When the War Began" yesterday and was surprised to see a blonde Phoebe Tonkin in it. Was nice to see her not be all mean girls about everything (though she did do that Faye "duh" face where she tenses all the muscles in the middle of her face till her brow crunches up to the top of her nose which made me think of faye every time) plus nice to hear her not have to fake a foreign accent, just instead fake a posh Aussie one!

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

How could anyone think stopping your witch characters from using magic was a good idea?

But this way, Sweet Compelling Cassie can be a Super Duper Special Dark Snowflake!

It's more or less the same thing they did with the costumes for a number of early eps: all the other girls wore dark dresses, while Cassie Sue was in red or yellow or other bright colors, therefore standing out.
Making the rest of the characters unable to use magic leads to Cassie being the special one who gets to do things. Look at her, look at her, she's the main character!

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

Aww, I'm really sorry Sonicsean34 I didn't mean to break you ;-) Seriously though I couldn't agree more and it's fucking infuriating. Like I said there was actually decent character development in the books and it's totally been trashed by the writers of the show for no discernible reason! I'd suggest reading the books but you'd probably be even more pissed off if you did.

Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I actually dropped this show a few episodes ago. I just popped into this thread because it was at the top of the forum and have to say I'm glad that it's not just me who sees the big flaws in this show.

I think the main things the writers would have to fix are:

1. Give the witches back their individual powers. You could say losing them was only a temporary effect of binding the circle. Ofcourse that doesn't quite fit with what we have been told so far, but I'm sure we can somehow redcon this.
Or let them find some super secret forbidden spell in [plot device]. Ofcourse how the characters are set up at the moment, we would have to endure a whole episode of them discussing if they should really do it, but at the end they would do it because of the constant witch hunter attacks and the show would be better for it.

2. Kill Cassie Blake! The sotrylines centered on her are crap, the love triangle is vomit inducing and the actress is by far the worst in the whole cast.
Just let her get toasted by some witch hunters and dig up a distant cousin to fix the circle.

Actually I think that's about it. If the writers follow these two points the show could become decent.

Edited by Miles Prower, Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:54 AM.

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I'm usually against main characters getting killed off but in this case I don't see how it can be avoided if they plan to make the show actually watch worthy. Can you imagine how good this show will be in Cassie's absence and if the circle has individual powers? Heck the distant cousin could be male and that'd even the teen love drama out a bit. As it is the two male regulars are completely tainted with Cassie around and everyone is pretty useless.

Another pressing matter is that the show needs direction, a big-bad, some sort of steady progression. Also more integration of the parents storyline could help.

As it stands this show doesn't have a story or a compelling lead, just a handful of interesting background underdeveloped characters and a untapped potential for doing awesome things with magic. The latter are what's kept me watching and the only reason I'll be sorry if the show gets canceled.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Now this is interested... or at least the idea of it will be until it becomes all about Cassie Sue and how much more powerful she is then everyone.

http://www.seattlepi...-de-3375068.php

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

John de Lancie has been cast as Jake's grandfather.

Really hard to care more about the kids when I find all the parents/grandparents so much more interesting (though, I am still fine with the circle, for the most part). This will continue with this casting!

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

Ladyraske

Aww, I'm really sorry Sonicsean34 I didn't mean to break you ;-)

No problem it was only a temporary madness and has now passed into Zen acceptance that the writers are idiots. Its just annoying because fluffier shows have more depth to mine and more layerd stories and characters, while this show aims to be more serious and "important". For example Teen Wolf last year was a nice mostly fluffy summer show but yet people in that thread were able have great discussions dissecting the characters because there was something to dissect (I, myself did a nice write up on why replacing Scott with someone else wouldn't work for instance). All the characters on this show are pretty surface level only, very little depth most episodes (you have random occurrences for almost every character but when it only happens one ep out of fifteen it really has to be filed under "out of character" since it clashes with the majority of the shows portrayal of everyone being shallow), what this show needs is a Stiles since he made Teen Wolf awesome (or a Jeremy, since even secondary and tertiary characters on The Vampire Diaries are more multi faceted than our leads! plus McQueen had plenty of time for a guest stint since they sent him off from TVD. Only a guest stint as I cling to his hopefull return before the end of the season!)

Will hopefully get around to the books as well since you and others have been recommending them more lately, and explaining what you guys loved that is missing from this show. At the beginning of the season most people described them as a bit weak but fun so I had no interest before, but the individual magic not being bound has made me change my mind. Hopefully they are on the Amazon UK kindle store so that i can buy one when i get my kindle in a few months (currently saving up to get my main PC fixed, and hopefully the problem will be cheap to fix, and then i can use my left over cash on a kindle and some books! I think A Game of Thrones and the first secret circle would be a fun odd couple pair to buy together)

megsara

John de Lancie has been cast as Jake's grandfather

Several thoughts spring to mind on this.
  • John De Lancie is awesome
  • How the fuck can someone so awesome be related to Jake?
  • I feel so bad for him that Torchwood will forever follow him in articles mention "notable shows" he has been in. I bailed on that season four episodes in so I was spared watching his indignity being in that crap (why couldn't he have been on that show in a good season!)
  • And strangely I am already shipping him with Jane as the new power couple and I don't even know if she will ever be back! And I don't usually ship!

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

Oh, thank Hecate, an Elder!! He'll know what to do! (Though I do wish Melissa had gotten a grownup, any one would do, before we got Jake's, it is probably better to have a Jane contemporary.) Now I'm actually excited for the show's renewal chances - the CW wouldn't offer up this money to pay a guest star for a show they'd already washed their hands of.

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Its funny for all the changes that I *hate* that they made for the show I really like Melissa (even though we've seen her for all of about 20 minutes)

Izeinwinter

Izeinwinter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

Actually, the bound circle is an interesting concept, the problem is that they never actually do anything with it. Ambitious witches trying to talk more of the circle into cooperating for bigger flashier spells, bits of the circle becoming nigh-inseperable so that they can do lesser/moderate magics constantly.. As a concept, it is a wonderful plot driver. But it needs to actually get fracking used, not merely be an exuse for supposedly magical characters to be defenseless.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

As a concept, it is a wonderful plot driver. But it needs to actually get fracking used, not merely be an exuse for supposedly magical characters to be defenseless.

Yeah, on a more competent show the binding could be an interesting plot device, but as of now, it just makes every character feel more stagnant. Like Nick's death, the binding happened way too soon. If it had happened say in the beginning of season two, when the characters were more developed, and they had really grown into their powers, then that plot device might have had more of an effect.

I'm curious in the books, is magic specialized amongst the Circle? The magic we've seen so far has mostly been of the generic, chant a spell and "presto!" kind, but I was wondering if certain members were good at certain types of spells?

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

I'm curious in the books, is magic specialized amongst the Circle? The magic we've seen so far has mostly been of the generic, chant a spell and "presto!" kind, but I was wondering if certain members were good at certain types of spells?

Not that I recall, no. But it's been a while since I've read the books.

I feel like the writers really wanted to replicate the whole breakneck pacing that TVD has, which is why they seem so lacking in focus. They're just throwing anything and everything at the show to see what sticks. So we have the binding. Nick's death. The elders. Witch hunters. Jake. Dead witch coven. The medallion. The crystal. Joe Lando. Voodoo. Drugs. The effect is the curious problem of having lots of shit happening on screen, and yet feeling as though nothing is happening at all because there's no direction.

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Not that I recall, no. But it's been a while since I've read the books.

It kinda was. Faye was really good with fire and fire spells, Laurel was really good with herbs, Melanie was better working with crystals.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Hahaha, shows you how much I remember! Really, the only thing I definitely recall from the books is how Diana and Cassie were so obviously in love with each other. Adam who?

Ladyraske

Ladyraske

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

lol, my sister and I were seriously obsessed with TSC for years, I'm pretty sure we can still quote parts of it (um and when I say pretty sure I mean we definitely can)

And now that I've thought about it each member of the circle *did* have their own special powers, it was actually a pretty important plot point in the third book.

Edited by Ladyraske, Mar 13, 2012 @ 4:01 PM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Why do the promotional ads show Diana and (especially) Cassie look so very slutty? Cassie doesn't even look like the same person she does in the show! It's kind of disturbing becuase they're supposed to be 16.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

Why do the promotional ads show Diana and (especially) Cassie look so very slutty? Cassie doesn't even look like the same person she does in the show! It's kind of disturbing becuase they're supposed to be 16.

Are you talking about those little blips where they are standing on the edge of the woods or something? I've been wondering the same thing. The characters NEVER look or dress like that so WTF?

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Are you talking about those little blips where they are standing on the edge of the woods or something? I've been wondering the same thing. The characters NEVER look or dress like that so WTF?

I think that's a CW thing. They're supposed to be sexy. The Vampire Diaries one is much worse. It has the main three sweating and Nina Dobrev practically licking Ian Somerhalder's face.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

I have to disagree that this show tries to be fast paced. I like that its got a slow pace so that they can let things grow. I hate that they never actually let things grow. So instead its a slow as molasses show where very little actually happens (There have been what 3 maybe 4 important events so far, the first being Nick's death) But the rest of the show is in a kind of holding pattern, they wait for witch hunters to come back in a few eps or whenever (witch hunters have such bad work ethic!) but never think about "hey we should look in the bloody books of shadows we have and find a way to actually protect ourselves" and wait have the rest of the circle even had access to Jake's book? I think maybe the time travel memory spell came from it but not sure, that would have been a great way of building trust between him and the others.

The show really needs a focus, I mean if i were to try to sell a person on this show (which I wouldn't. I'm not a sadist, its bad enough i got on the ride when it was good and had potential so became attached to it) there is no way to describe what its about. I mean even with witch hunters you can't summarise it as witches vs hunters, The Vampire Diaries gets away with having no series purpose (though you could say its about the lives of Elena Gilbert and her friends dealing with the world that there town keeps secret) but this show doesn't have the writing to back up a "show about living" style. At least not yet. They need to look at the characters actually have them interact for more than moving plot points around.

I'm still, strangely excited about the return of both shows this week (ironically when i see the shows the day after i tend to watch secret circle first in the hope that its gotten better and it will reward me! Also so that TVDs superior quality won't be in my mind when i watch circle and make me judge even more harshly.)

And is it just me or does Zylka display more human emotion in his 2 seconds of time in the spider-man trailers than he has in his cumulated time on this show? Its like when he has that shocked face when thrown against the lockers by Peter Parker I actually connect with him emotionally but he fails that as Jake ( and looks botoxed and slightly wax work)

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

It's been confirmed that there will be a death tonight of a major character. Not that I think he's major but I call it being Lee. Mainly because he's the only guy I find in anyway attractive or plausible. Also because he isn't obsessed with Cassie. I'll call it now that his ex kills him, hides it and then starts stalking Faye in the episode after

Also, interview with exec producer Andrew Miller. Not really too spoilerish.

http://www.hollywood...w-miller-300292

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

Speculation based on Chas411's spoiler: That would be a bit underwhelming but more likely for this show, that or one of the useless parants that havent really done much since they scrambled Jane's brain, I can see the writters feeling Dawn is expendable since they have been pimping the parent/child relationship with Charles hard recently but not much with Dawn, who didn't get a post stabbing mention let alone appearance the week after it happend (Okay it was more Charles with Cassie his "feels like a second daughter!" than his actual one but still) Oh wait thought of a "better" "shock" death! John Blackwell! I can see execs rubbing hands with glee thinking it was so badass and unexpected