The Secret Circle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1746 replies to this topic

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

I think Papa Blackwell is SUPER sexy. I could barely concentrate when he and Ethan were in the same room. Hot Dad standoff.

For the first time I thought Jake was utterly charming after Cassie zapped him with the umbrella. He seemed much more loose than before.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

I have a question because I don't remember all the details from previous episodes. Was it ever specifically mentioned that the other Blackwell child is a member of the circle? Or could it be someone else like coma girlfriend (was her name ever mentioned)?

Her name is Eva. Also, I think it was specified by the withchunter dude who's name escapes me that Cassie wasn't the only Blackwell child in the circle.

Vega01

Vega01

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

unfortunately the Lee/Faye chemistry isn't carrying it for me. I actually think he had way more chemistry with Diana.

Lee has more chemistry with Diana than Faye, but he is supposed to be with/dupe(?) Faye.

Jake has more chemistry with Faye than Cassie, although I hate them because he is just using her.

Adam has more chemistry with Diana or even Faye than Cassie. But his relationship with Diana was never given a chance and he barely has scenes with Faye.

Faye has more chemistry with Melissa than with any of the guys. But they are straight.

I can't find decent chemistry between Cassie and anyone else (maybe Faye, Pheobe Tonkin has chemistry with all the females) and she is at the center of everything.

Along with the excessive amounts of Cassie and the sometimes sloppy writing, these are some of the show's big problems.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

I don't know, at first I thought Phoebe was playing Faye pretty gay because I could only imagine her with the girls and hated her initial scenes with Jake but I gotta say, I think her and Diana have the most chemistry with all the guys and Faye has the most chemistry with everyone on the show period.

I also don't get the "Fayana" buzz I keep hearing so much about? I'm not even sure if I'm that interested in a deep routed friendship between both girls. I like them as snarky pals with Melissa as their common interest.

I agree Cassie is the biggest problem and had the show explored some of it's obvious potential instead of trying to make her be everything and anything then the show wouldn't be in such a slump now.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

I don't get this Fayana business either. There's nothing particularly interesting about that friendship for me. I enjoy them snarking at each other, but I much prefer them with Melissa between them. Those three have a nice connection that plays out well on screen. I don't really see Faye/Melissa romantic chemistry either, but those two manage to make me believe they're truly best friends. Even when they're bitching at one another, or maybe especially then. Those three actresses have really found an ease in their scenes together, and while I don't always find their scenes the most thrilling, I do feel like they fit.

Vega01 - I totally agree with your chemistry analysis. Seeing it written out like that it kind of amazes me that the show is so determined to play against what they actually have. And again I think the problem lays with Cassie. They're so determined to drum up romance with her that they're sacrificing these guys to it. Jake and Adam shine with nearly everyone but Cassie. And I have seen Britt on LUX, and she had good chemistry with all three of her love interests. This is why I don't understand what isn't clicking here...

Also, once again I have to say I think Faye/Cassie is the only combination with Cassie that actually intrigues me on this show. I actually liked Cassie in the episodes she interacted with Faye. I don't mind her passive aggressive bitchiness because Faye can take it and isn't fooled by the "nice" girl exterior. PLEASE SHOW, give me more of them. Make me like Cassie since she has swallowed this show whole.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

I don't get this Fayana business either. There's nothing particularly interesting about that friendship for me. I enjoy them snarking at each other, but I much prefer them with Melissa between them. Those three have a nice connection that plays out well on screen. I don't really see Faye/Melissa romantic chemistry either, but those two manage to make me believe they're truly best friends. Even when they're bitching at one another, or maybe especially then. Those three actresses have really found an ease in their scenes together, and while I don't always find their scenes the most thrilling, I do feel like they fit.

I think it was the porch scene that started it from the pilot but then they rarely forgot about it. It seems to be mainly explored now as a fanservice which scares me since I would hate another Brittany/Santana thing (yes, the most UO opinion ever, I hate them). I prefer Melissa with either girl. It seems to be one strength of the Melissa character.

Also, once again I have to say I think Faye/Cassie is the only combination with Cassie that actually intrigues me on this show. I actually liked Cassie in the episodes she interacted with Faye. I don't mind her passive aggressive bitchiness because Faye can take it and isn't fooled by the "nice" girl exterior. PLEASE SHOW, give me more of them. Make me like Cassie since she has swallowed this show whole.

I'll also agree with that. I liked the earlier episodes when Faye found out that she had a book. The only thing I hate about them now is how jealous and pathetic Faye comes across while Cassie is just there all smug and angelic. Every relationship that Cassie has on this show serves to prop Cassie. That's why lately I have little interest in seeing her interact with any of the girls.

This is why I don't understand what isn't clicking here...

I think it's not clicking because none of it is earned. The destiny thing? WTF? Maybe had they explored the mythology of it or the origin but no. Of course not, Adam and Cassie are meant to be because Adam's drunk dad said so (let's not even get into the fact that said drunk pops is obsessed with Cassie's dead mother).

As for Jake, I do get why he's not that into Faye because she does come across as clingy but the she's a compelling girl stuff with Cassie? What? I'll admit I bought it a little more then I bought the Adam/Cassie stuff though.

As for Lee, I buy him with Faye. I like the banter. Having said that, the kiss came too soon. I'd like to have seen them banter a bit more or be wicked partners. I didn't want them to be romantically involved when his girlfriend woke up.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

I really liked the first two episodes of Lee/Faye. I thought they had smoking chemistry, but then Lee lost something for me. It truly is the writing, because I think Grey Damon just pops. Lee is being woobified right now though. I think that's why I really like Jake/Faye. Honestly, I can't really see a situation where they're an honest to God in love couple. I think that would ruin them. I like that she knows him better than anyone, especially Cassie. She has called Jake's motives from episode one, and as much as he protests it is quite clear that she's right. And I guess I like them right now because she truly isn't chasing after him anymore. She can take or leave Jake right now. She cares about him, but she's not obsessively going after him. I think she really just likes getting one over on Cassie, and she's attracted to Jake. That side of the Jake/Faye relationship I enjoy. If they have her start mooning over him again I will puke. I don't want to see it. My ultimate fantasy would be Jake being jealous over Lee/Faye because she's not paying attention anymore. That's entertainment, and Faye actually deserves to have two guys wanting her. She's fun and interesting if not a little crazy. Teenage boys love that. I don't get what they're seeing in Cassie. She's too bitchy to be the nice girl, and too passive aggressively sweet to be the bitchy girl. The writers need to work on characterization ASAP, and Britt needs to put a little more fire into her character. She's excelled at the evil stuff so I do have hope.

And unfortunately I do see what you're saying about Cassie/Faye. It didn't start out like that, but now all their interactions boil down to it. I really think they're setting up sisterly rivalry but I wish they would set a better dynamic.

Also, this is a general question to everyone here. I see a lot of Melissa love, and while I don't dislike her she kind of feels like background to me. I think the actress is alright but she hasn't jumped out to me either. What is it about Melissa that has captivated everyone? I see this elsewhere as well, and I really wish I felt the same. Melissa is probably the character I care least about.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Also, this is a general question to everyone here. I see a lot of Melissa love, and while I don't dislike her she kind of feels like background to me. I think the actress is alright but she hasn't jumped out to me either. What is it about Melissa that has captivated everyone? I see this elsewhere as well, and I really wish I felt the same. Melissa is probably the character I care least about.

For me, I like her dynamic with both Diana and Faye. She's a nice medium for them. Also, I pity the character. She gets no storylines outside of whinging for Nick but I think the actress has talent and I think if they gave her a shot with something real, she could shock us all. I would also love another Jake/Melissa scene about Nick.

Lee is being woobified right now though.

That's true, it's the same thing that happened to Jake. I still like Lee better though for the fact that he couldn't give a shit about Cassie. I can handle Faye/Jake if they are casual but I don't think Faye could do it. She was already getting her hopes up after the slept together in Valentine, she only seemed to get over him when he called looking for Cassie. You could still sense her disappointment though. I just can't buy him with her when I see how much better he's treated Cassie in comparison.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

I'd love another Jake/Melissa scene. I loved her basically mocking him when he came over on Valentine's Day. She has such an awesome disdain for him. HighMelissa! is infinitely more interesting to me. I don't want her to stay drugged up, but I would love if they would keep that sassy-ness around. I do agree that if the actress if given something I think she would be capable.

And yep, they totally woobified Jake too. Probably another reason I like him in scenes with Faye. He actually has an edge. I didn't really see getting her hopes up for him, or at least her being with him. I truly think she felt good about the fact that she could walk away, but it would have been icing on the cake to her if Jake stopped panting after Cassie. I think whether she's with him or not that will always bother her because it's not in his nature. As for his treatment of Cassie... don't even get me started. I honestly don't get it. I feel like I could have liked Cassie/Jake if they had done it right. The storyline elements are there, but they rushed him into "loving" her, and I've been rolling my eyes ever since.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

The storyline elements are there, but they rushed him into "loving" her, and I've been rolling my eyes ever since.

I hear it's because she's a compelling girl.

He actually has an edge.

I don't know, there's edgy like the way they were in the scenes before the last hookup and then there's a douche like the way he talked about her when he first came back to town. They used Faye as a prop for Cassie to look better with Jake. It was a cheap and lazy way but then again this is also the same show that tells us Cassie can have Diana's man because it's written in the stars, no explanation or mythology needed.

My main problem with Faye/Jake is that they've ruined Faye to prop Cassie before and if she were to stay involved with Jake, I've no doubt that they would ruin her again once Cassie and Adam took a break.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Oh, I totally forgot just how compelling she is. Maybe a few more characters should tell us...

I totally get where you're coming from. I think I always liked Jake/Faye's chemistry but their early scenes left a bad taste in my mouth because of what a douche he was. I did love that she was ALWAYS right about him though. That's one thing the writers were consistent with. Cassie's been a complete moron about him from the start, and has to continually be told that he's not a good guy. Faye told her. Jake told her. Adam told her. And she still tra la la ed along until she finally had to face the truth. It's just another aspect of Cassie/Jake that doesn't appeal to me at all.

As for the Cassie prop issue, I can't argue with that. I think I'm enjoying them for now because it's not so serious, and I really haven't invested in a "romantic" relationship. I like the casual hook ups, and occasional scenes where we see their bond. I'm not really searching for more at this point, because as you pointed out everything and everyone must revolve around Cassie. If that ever changes I reserve the right to go back and start shipping these two, but for now I just like their interaction, and am open to other good combos. As much as Lee's current storyline bugs me I would totally be up for some LF if they could change that. I only hope we can avoid Adam/Faye at all costs. PT has chemistry with everyone, but Adam is such a lost cause. Anyone destined for Cassie needs to stay far, far away.

Speaking of Destiny... I am still baffled over the fact that Cassie/Adam is happening right now and Diana is a non factor. How is that even possible? How am I supposed to root for Cassie when she's shown basically no care for Diana's feelings in this. And if I'm supposed to buy this ~destiny thing, then they do need a better build. Drunken Ethan's ramblings aren't cutting it. Show me that Adam and Cassie just can't resist and then maybe I will feel less annoyed. Probably not though, because I think Diana is damn awesome. She deserves way better than the both of them.

ardentshine

ardentshine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Make me like Cassie since she has swallowed this show whole.

I was comparing TSC to TVD (again) and thinking about how often Elena is compared to the sun with every other character in her orbit. And to my way of thinking, sometimes she's more like a black hole because once you get caught up in her troubles, good luck getting out. She and Cassie could be celestial sisters! Written in the stars, there ya go!

Vega01

Vega01

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Also, once again I have to say I think Faye/Cassie is the only combination with Cassie that actually intrigues me on this show. I actually liked Cassie in the episodes she interacted with Faye

I think Faye makes Cassie bearable because she is the only one who is not fawning over Cassie, so their dynamic is not as marred by the favoritism of the writers. Plus, the chemistry that Tonkin brings to all her on screen relationships works.

I agree that JPK can bring it with anything the writers want to do with Melissa. It's a shame that she is the character they send the least time with.

I can't get over my Jake hate, I just don't want him near the girls. He is bearable with Faye because of their chemistry but then he goes on and says something so offensive that I want to punch him. I can't stand to see Faye involved with someone who treats her like crap and being jealous of Cassie for his interest in her. He is no prize Faye, you deserve better, ugh.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

You raise an excellent point, especially since we’ve never been given a well-defined reason why they don’t want to talk to their parents about witchcraft.

Well the original premise was that they didn't want their parents to know they were practicing magic because they figured their parents would put a stop to it, pronto. Which made sense. However, that all fell apart once Jane became aware of them and intervened in the episode where Melissa was possessed by the demon. The premise was further deconstructed when Diana's grandmother revealed that a.) she knew Cassie was a witch and b.) had dark magic and c.) tried to kill her. At this point, there can be no mistake that the kids know their parents are aware they are practicing magic. Yet - neither side acknowledges this information. It's weird.

I just read the latest recap, and this show just goes around in circles (no pun intended). First John Blackwell tells Cassie to give him the medallion because it's too dangerous for her to have. Then at the end she reveals she destroyed it, and he says he has to stick around now because she has no way to protect herself. Make up your mind! How did he expect her to protect herself if he was planning to take the medallion away from her?

This show needs to be about more than "witch hunters are trying to kill Cassie." We've got a bunch of little side plots running all over the map, but essentially, every week it's "Cassie is in danger." It's gotten monotonous.

You have to give Faye credit, because when Diana said "We have to go, Cassie is in trouble" (when they were leaving Callum's party), Faye did not roll her eyes and go "Of course she is, it's a day that ends with a Y."

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

First John Blackwell tells Cassie to give him the medallion because it's too dangerous for her to have. Then at the end she reveals she destroyed it, and he says he has to stick around now because she has no way to protect herself. Make up your mind! How did he expect her to protect herself if he was planning to take the medallion away from her?

I think point was supposed to be that having the medallion in her possession was what was putting Cassie in danger -- except that she was being targeted by witch hunters before she even had it so it really makes no sense either way.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

I did love that she was ALWAYS right about him though.

I did love that as well. But I hated that nobody ever called her on being in the right or called Cassie on trusting him so blindly in the first place.

but Adam is such a lost cause. Anyone destined for Cassie needs to stay far, far away.

I think the only time I ever bought Adam being a romantic lead was when he was trying to win Diana back and confronted her at Faye's grandads lakehouse leading to sexytimes in the shed. That was his best scene ever.... but then the writers did a 180 because god help the male leads have actual relationships outside of Cassie the special Snowflake. I still don't buy how he shifted from being completely devastated over Diana to being even more obsessed with Cassie in the space of an episode.

I was comparing TSC to TVD (again) and thinking about how often Elena is compared to the sun with every other character in her orbit. And to my way of thinking, sometimes she's more like a black hole because once you get caught up in her troubles, good luck getting out. She and Cassie could be celestial sisters! Written in the stars, there ya go!

I think I'd still give the upper hand to Elena. While everyone bends over backwards to protect her, at least she has some weaknesses aka she's not a witch, a vampire, she doesn't even have a magic ring of life thing. She needs to be protected half the time because she's actually the weakest. With Cassie she's just everything and anything. The episode focuses on her being kidnapped or whatever, the others all running to save her then her rediscovering the she's the most awesomest witch in the world and solving whatever the problem is while the others just stare on thus making the entire plot of each episode useless. Nobody is allowed to one up her, she's the strongest, the favouritest, she's never wrong.. even when she is blatantly wrong is she called on it. She is just Mary Sue to the max.

I think Faye makes Cassie bearable because she is the only one who is not fawning over Cassie,

I love Faye with Cassie because I feel everything that she says to Cassie is exactly what I'm always thinking. She's basically the viewers voice.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

Jake was actually amusing when Cassie shot him with the umbrella! It should happen more often.

That scene was adorable. Jake's "What the hell?" was perfectly said. And John Blackwell has pretty much given Jake his stamp of approval, so there's another point in his favor. Anyone else think Adam looked pretty smug holding Cassie there are the end?

I loved the Circle coming together to save Jake and then Cassie. It felt good to seem them work together.

I really hope Lee actually likes Faye because I like them together. But Melissa's been acting like an idiot with this whole Callum thing. He's nothing like Nick; just move on.

I actually like Blackwell and I love that he's sticking around. But when the hell is Jane returning? People are gonna figure out she's not back, and then Diana's gonna know she's a liar. Just saying.

But speaking of that beginning scene, I liked Charles' interaction with Cassie; it was sweet (considering he killed her mother and all). And I loved Diana's "joke" about the men in her life. Cassie's reaction was just too funny.

Excited for it to come back!

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

I think I'd still give the upper hand to Elena. While everyone bends over backwards to protect her, at least she has some weaknesses aka she's not a witch, a vampire, she doesn't even have a magic ring of life thing. She needs to be protected half the time because she's actually the weakest.

I'm not a fan of Elena, but I agree. It's sort of like Sookie in True Blood needing to be protected: if you're a defenceless human running around witch vampires and werewolves you are going to be the weakest one and thus may need someone stronger to protect you.
What makes Elena rise in my esteem is that, for all that she's a weak human, she still doeas her best to fight, stall and try to make up for her weakness by exploiting those of her enemies. Plus, she was brave enough to gutstab herself for the sake of a plan: girl may be annoying but she sure has a spine!

Also, I can forgive many faults for good acting, and Nina Dobrev acts better than half the SC cast put together.

ardentshine

ardentshine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

I think I'd still give the upper hand to Elena. While everyone bends over backwards to protect her, at least she has some weaknesses aka she's not a witch, a vampire, she doesn't even have a magic ring of life thing. She needs to be protected half the time because she's actually the weakest. With Cassie she's just everything and anything.

I was being very much tongue-in-cheek, but I don't disagree with your reponse at all. No matter its faults, TVD at least shows us why Elena's problems create such turmoil for everyone around her. TSC simply tells us that Cassie is uber important and uber special and therefore requires the attention of the other characters. If I could have one thing given viewers from both shows, it would be better developed storylines for other characters in the ensemble; just as I'd like Bonnie to be more than the witch people call when they need magic done, I'd like Faye to be more than the bitchy, insecure girl who acts as a foil to Cassie's blinding, innate goodness.

Nina Dobrev acts better than half the SC cast put together.

So true. There's just this ridiculous amount of chemistry from the actors on TVD; even those EW covers of Nina, Paul, and Ian have more spark than most scenes in TSC. If we could get that level of chemistry on TSC, I'd probably start thinking, "Hmm, this plot was utter shit, but that eye-sex between Adam and Cassie was all kinds of good. More, please!"

Rosaria

Rosaria

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

The one thing that really bothers me is Jake's transition from Bad to Good, the writers of this show had a chance for some serious character development instead we get the "Jake loves Cassie" story line . Instead of a slow and steady process Jake's personality seemed to have an overnight change. Jake was a witch hunter someone who killed without pity( Calvin) but as soon as he looked into Mary-Sue's i mean Cassie's eyes that all changed for god-sake the guy didn't even give a rats ass about his own brother. I can't help but compare TSC with TVD at this point but imagine if Damon had pulled this shit it would have completely ruined his character, you have to give props to the TVD writers they know how to develop their characters.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Nina Dobrev acts better than half the SC cast put together.

Sadly. I agree. and I think Nina's acting has really deteriorated this season.

I'm just really baffled by this show. There's no focus, no direction, no real suspense. As someone said before, even the witch hunters don't feel like a serious threat as they're just moseying on down every few episodes. The focus on Compelling Cassie is part of the problem, IMO, but this show doesn't seem to want to commit to anything, be it character development, or plot, or even you know, that magic thing that witches do. I wonder how this show would be doing if it didn't have The Vampire Diaries as its lead-in.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I certainly would not have started watching The Secret Circle if not for The Vampire Diaries lead in. I think the CW was smart in pairing these two shows together because otherwise, I would have ignored all the ads for TSC.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I wonder how this show would be doing if it didn't have The Vampire Diaries as its lead-in.

Not just that but the promotion was also based on the fact that it was produced by the same team of TVD. For me that was a huge pull, in matters of expectations of quality: I hated TVD books, but I think the show is totally amazing, possibly one of the best on tv. So, I trusted the miracle team to deliver another excellent product and was baffled by the steaming pile of shit I got served.

Only recently did I find out that the people in charge are actually the crackmonkeys we have to thank for that affront to Superman mythos that was Smallville: had I known that, I would never, ever even thought about watching this show, I would have known what I was in for (see Our Lady of Supreme Perfection 2.0)

Alas, Diana got to me, and then Faye and the parental plot and now I can't seem to stop watching, if only for the well of mocking material. Let's hope after this season it gets better or I find the strenght not to return.

svn

svn

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

I'm just really baffled by this show. There's no focus, no direction, no real suspense. As someone said before, even the witch hunters don't feel like a serious threat as they're just moseying on down every few episodes. The focus on Compelling Cassie is part of the problem, IMO, but this show doesn't seem to want to commit to anything, be it character development, or plot, or even you know, that magic thing that witches do.

This is exactly my problem. I find my self watching because it's on not because i'm interested in the storyline, mainly because i haven't got a clue what the story is. Everything just seems to happen so randomly and there is no hook to keep you coming back for the next episode.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Hell, I just want to know who the other Blackwell child is.

Edited by gotta love it, Feb 27, 2012 @ 1:43 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

To be fair though, I would like the show to get another season. I reckon the other two newbie shows will be cancelled so I would like to see that come back since I do think it has potential (once someone is willing to kick the Cassie favourtism right out of the writers).

I remember after season one of 90210 (another show where the potential was greater then the actual show) the writers followed advice from somewhere and moved Annie Wilson from front and centre to the back. While it was obvious she was still a Mary Sue, at least she wasn't on screen with everything about her all the time. They shifted focus towards Naomi and Silver who were by far more popular characters. Of course the show sucks beyond reason now anyway but we still had a couple of good months.

I would love to see that happen with Diana and Faye. Not that I don't like Melissa but my patience with her is wearing a bit and I find her really depressing at times. Plus I don't buy her epic love for Nick. Perhaps had they given them a history of somesort but all we got was them being sex buddies and officially hooking up like one episode before he died. I'm not against her grieving I'm just sick of it by now since I barely cared about them as a couple to begin with.

If they were to give her scenes with Jake and dealing with it then yes, I'd be into it and it would be character development but as of right now? No, just know.

Also I would love Lee to come aboard full time. Because this show needs men. Both current men lost any sort of appeal to me when they randomly fell for Compelling Cassie Sue without any sort of reason.

Edited by Chas411, Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:29 PM.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Only recently did I find out that the people in charge are actually the crackmonkeys we have to thank for that affront to Superman mythos that was Smallville:

I don't know where this is coming from because the Smallville people are just consultants, not primary EPs, not to mention that they didn't start running Smallville until the end of its run, when Al Gough and Miles Millar handed it over to them (for the better, because after that, The Lana Show came to an end).

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

Another forecast on possible renewals/cancellations:

The Secret Circle: This one truly is a bubble show with the hefty lead-in it gets. But remember, bubbles are b-o-r-i-n-g. So…canceled!

http://tvbythenumber...-fringe/121949/

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

sintin

or even you know, that magic thing that witches do.

Witches do magic!? OMG I'd love to watch a show like that, what channel is it on? Seriously this is the major issue with the show, not enough magic. They sort of did it half way before the killed Nick since the circle while to dumb to work together practising spells did splinter into two sub groups and there wasn't too much stress on them so they felt free to have a little bit of fun and experiment. But now we have witch hunters an (allegedly) organised threat so fun times as short as they were are apparently over and plus the group splintered even further to the point where Melissa and Faye don't even practice magic together recreationally often any more ! It's the dumb individual magic binding that's ruining it all and i wonder if the writers regret that plot point now. And if they don't why the god damn hell did they splinter the circle down into 6 individuals who barely agree on anything besides the one dumb cassie plan of the week that will put them in danger? I would have preferred the binding spell to maybe subdue and stabilised individual powers so each witch could do stuff on their own but nothing extreme, but would be infinity stronger as a group, imagine the fun we could be having if that happened.

Also it shackles the characters too much, imagine if on The Vampire Diaries the vamps had to be in groups to use their powers, how diminished would Damon be if he was like "oh no I need to find Stefan so I can run fast and be strong. And be able to feed!" ? And the binding spell had no real upsides to it besides stability which they may have learnt with some time practising. Lets see the cons of the spell that I remember are: no individual magic, circle magic must have members involved all on the same page and oh the most important, if you kill a circle member and there are no replacements in their immediate family for this generation of witches they all loose their powers!

Chas411

Another forecast on possible renewals/cancellations:

The Secret Circle: This one truly is a bubble show with the hefty lead-in it gets. But remember, bubbles are b-o-r-i-n-g. So…canceled!

http://tvbythenumber...-fringe/121949/

I don't know how I feel about that cos on one hand I could love the show if they fucking fixed the problems between seasons (make it an actual ensamble and don't segregate the generations of families!) but on the other hand Thomas Dekker and Asheley Crowe would be free to to do better work (Tho Crowe is already living at least the free part of the dream if grandma Jane never returns from her random xmas hiatus present of being put on a bus!)

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

It's the dumb individual magic binding that's ruining it all and i wonder if the writers regret that plot point now. And if they don't why the god damn hell did they splinter the circle down into 6 individuals who barely agree on anything besides the one dumb cassie plan of the week that will put them in danger?

Silly you! If they had people all doing magic willy nilly how could they drive home the fact that Sweet Compelling Cassie Sue is the Most Specialest Snowflake since Bella Swan?

You know, all this talk about TVD made me think about why I don't find the love triangle stuff so vile in its case. Generally, I have very little patience with that kind of thing and yet I'm ok with it on TVD.
I think it's a combination of a) stars and fate are busy with more important stuff than romantic entanglements; b) they acknowledged the fact that both guys aren't really good prospects; c) most importantly, for me, is the fact tha it is a true triangle, meaning all parties care about the other two to a very great degree: it not just about Elena caring about both Salvatores, in fact, a lot of the time and without going to the BroYay place, it's more about the brothers' relationship than Elena and they would risk getting killed for each other just as much as for their ladylove. Ok, it's also because of d) amazing chemistry and good acting, but still, on TVD the triangle dilemma is being handled in a much more nuanced and emotionally real way.

Compare and contrast with Diana/Cassie/Adam or Jake/Cassie/Adam: the first requiring Ethan invoking the sacred Written In The Stars connection that apparently passes from generation to generation (which is not creepy and demeaning at all, no), the second so utterly devoid of chemistry from any side I almost wonder if they're doing it on purpose.

I don't know where this is coming from because the Smallville people are just consultants, not primary EPs, not to mention that they didn't start running Smallville until the end of its run, when Al Gough and Miles Millar handed it over to them (for the better, because after that, The Lana Show came to an end).

I read on this thread that the majority of the work is being done by the Smallvile team, I don't know where they got their info. And even after the departure of Gough and Millar, Smallville could only being called a decent show in comparison to the Lanaville of previous years, by my standards it was still way subpar.