The Secret Circle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1746 replies to this topic

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Wow, Joe Lando used to be the hottest thing on TV about 25 years ago. Now, not so much. I didn't even recognize him.

Really? I think he's still kind of sexy. It was good casting, I think Cassie looks like she could be his kid.

It wouldn't surprise me if they just completely drop the whole "another Blackwell" plot point. The continuity on this show is shit.

It wouldn't surprise me either, but I hope not! I wonder how many of the circle ladies Blackwell boned. We know he was with Cassie's mom (the who spiel that he loved her is shit, we know he "betrayed" her) and Faye's mom...but he could have also been with any of the other mothers too. It's an interesting plot point and I hope they don't just hope we'll forget about it!

I'd bet my ... something, on that he is controlling Eblon.

Highly possible! But what is his name exactly? I thought they were saying Evan, which is the silliest name for his character...but according the website it's Eben, but here people are calling him Eblon. Was that his name in the books or something?

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Really? I think he's still kind of sexy. It was good casting, I think Cassie looks like she could be his kid.

Heh. I know a lot of people think him sexy. I don't see it. But I don't mind the actor. We'll see what he can do in future episodes, hopefully.

Highly possible! But what is his name exactly? I thought they were saying Evan, which is the silliest name for his character...but according the website it's Eben, but here people are calling him Eblon. Was that his name in the books or something?

Oh dear, the website is probably right. I don't remember him being in the books, and I only adopted the name from another poster here. I even wondered for some time who "Eblon" was referring to, but I guess it truly is wrong. So Eben it is!

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

I wonder how many of the circle ladies Blackwell boned. We know he was with Cassie's mom (the who spiel that he loved her is shit, we know he "betrayed" her) and Faye's mom...but he could have also been with any of the other mothers too.

For the sheer insanity of it: they're ALL Blackwell's children. Multiple incest FTW!

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

For the sheer insanity of it: they're ALL Blackwell's children. Multiple incest FTW!

Now there's a shame this isn't airing on HBO.

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

The parents are so woefully underused on this show, and there is still this really strange disconnect between the parents and their kids. I mean, Diana knows her grandmother was a witch, and she tried to kill Cassie, but to this day, Charles and Diana have not had one single conversation to indicate each knows the other is a witch. It's really really weird. Nor have Faye and Dawn discussed magic in any way and yet, the kids all know their parents are/were witches. And they know at least some of the parents are aware they are practicing magic. This bugs the hell out of me. It's like everyone is in denial or something.

While I thoroughly agree, it is, in a weird way, one of the only consistent thing about the show, and consistent with the conventions of TV in general. The writers probably think they did accurately set up the mythological world in the pilot - Faye's "You're a witch, we're all witches, our parents were witches and they don't know that we know, deal with it" speech has been adhered to - but the problem is, it is a poor mythological setting, as opposed to something like "Once Upon a Time", which presented an excellent one in the pilot and managed to do so with only one knowledgeable character and a printed book of fairy tales as the mouthpiece. The mythology has then been added to - every single episode. Not buried for 6-7 weeks. Kid themselves though the network and writers try to, in this story the parents and their parents have the primary mythology.

But this show is so pathological about keeping the kids and parents separate, it's such a little thing, but they don't even have the brains to think that Faye should explain why Dawn is not around to clutter up their V-Day slumber party, or that Diana should have some explanation for us as to where Charles is so that we can at least assume they were together, acting on Lucy's very prior episode revelation of "the witch hunters are coming" offsides. Or, even, that if Charles is enthusing about his "second daughter", at least there should be a single scene which showed they have spent some time together, whether it's going to the movies or a 90-second breakfast scene taking off for another destination where Cassie pours the milk in his coffee or takes the rubber band off his newspaper, or does something solicitous to show that she's developed some bonds within the family. The only comprehensive explanation I can come up with for the kids not asking their parents something about magic, which they could do easily without revealing that they themselves are practicing, is that the kids are afraid to hurt their parents' feelings by reminding them of what they lost. If everyone was in denial (or under a spell) I could understand that for keeping the primary revelations secret, but it doesn't explain the slumber party or the 200% lack of showing that Cassie and Charles have developed any scrap of a bond. I don't know what would other than lousy writing!

ETA: Chas411, I don't really get gay vibes off of Adam except for the "whipped cream foreplay" scene... lordy, was that bad. It was better once Adam and Diana got to the bed and went horizontal, but the foreplay was unconvincing... to an embarrassing degree.

Edited by QueenAnne, Feb 18, 2012 @ 5:56 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

then they had to confuse us again by having Callum say that Faye has "off the charts" power (one presumes, when compared to Melissa, but really, who can say?). I'm mainly just confused by his "magic sensor", which seems to only activate when he concentrates on it - we can fanwank that he needed a literal push from Melissa to realize hers, but when did Faye push Callum with anything?

Didn't Callum say "Faye's magic must be off the charts" or something like that? I took it that he was assuming, not that he actually knew.

The episode was ok. I liked that the circle all came together to save Cassie and for once, it wasn't about Cassie being the big hero.

Does Diana know that Cassie and Adam are sort of seeing each other now? I thought they might address it.

Adam... does anybody else get some serious gay vibes off him at times? I mean I do buy him as a romantic lead for the most part but there's just these certain times where I can't help but think that he's so gay...

I prefer the Lee/voodoo/Faye plot. I really like Lee as a character actually and I think the plot will get more interesting now that the ex is awake. I'm confused though about if he's using or not...

John Blackwell was sort of a letdown though... Of course he wouldn't have magic. That would render him useful and make someone possibly as powerful as Cassie the teenage witch.

bdash

bdash

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 4:34 AM

Wow, Joe Lando used to be the hottest thing on TV about 25 years ago. Now, not so much. I didn't even recognize him.

Neither did I! I had to look him up! That was the only reason I realized he was in Dr. Quinn... I used to watch that show when I was a kid.

Anyway, I'm still not liking Cassie as a character. And what is taking so long to bring for her grandma to return? They really missed the boat on Jane. She could've been the Giles to their Buffy-circle.

The only storyline I'm interested in is finding out who the other Blackwell child is.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:39 AM

The parents are so woefully underused on this show, and there is still this really strange disconnect between the parents and their kids. I mean, Diana knows her grandmother was a witch, and she tried to kill Cassie, but to this day, Charles and Diana have not had one single conversation to indicate each knows the other is a witch. It's really really weird. Nor have Faye and Dawn discussed magic in any way and yet, the kids all know their parents are/were witches. And they know at least some of the parents are aware they are practicing magic. This bugs the hell out of me. It's like everyone is in denial or something.

You raise an excellent point, especially since we’ve never been given a well-defined reason why they don’t want to talk to their parents about witchcraft.
If we go beyond that trite “teenagers don’t talk to their parents” trope, what we see are a bunch of kids learning at the same time that they have magic and that magic can kill: I freely admit I am someone who, when in doubt, goes to seek the advice of authorities (i.e. anyone who might know more about it than I do), but it doesn’t seem unreasonable thinking “Well, I’m a witch, my parents are/were witches and they did something that caused the deaths of other people. Hey, mom/dad, mind if we have a chat about magic and what happened with your circle, just so my friends and I don’t accidentally do the same thing and reenact Witch Barbecue Night?

I’m not even talking about the specifics of that night, they’re just as apathetic about learning about how to use their powers. Even when Jane shows her amazing mojo, no one, even her own granddaughter, seems interested in a bit of magical tutoring. This has gotten to the point where, in a show with witch protagonists, the most impressive displays of magic and demonstration of magical knowledge have been by the witch hunters! And that’s just sad.

It will come as no surprise to anyone that I lay the blame on Cassie. If the writers stopped worshipping at the altar of Precious Princess Cassie, Most Awesome Witch That Ever Witched Ever and crafting each episode around her, maybe they could delve into exploring the mythology and the various interpersonal relationships among the other characters, thereby making a far more interesting show.

Seriously, even Supposed Big Bad John Blackwell was depowered, just so we didn’t risk having around a competent adult who could potentially steal the Powers Ex Machina trophy away from Cassie. How much of a letdown was it, seeing this guy we’ve been hearing so much about in terms of badassery about to be immolated by a kid who up until three months ago didn’t know magic was real? I cry foul.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

especially since we’ve never been given a well-defined reason why they don’t want to talk to their parents about witchcraft.

I thought that was the one point the show HAS been consistent about: that the kids specifically do not want the previous generation to be aware that they have accessed powers because that generation was de-powered by the one prior to it. Or am I misremembering? That's why Cassie was in the unique position of having access to Jane, whereas Faye's grandfather was killed before they could really interact. Melissa's the only one (aside from Nick/Jake) whose parents/grandparents haven't been addressed. I do agree we need more of the generational conflict, though, and less of the witch-hunters. Some exploration of the power obsession shared by Faye and Dawn would be cool, or Cassie discovering Charles' hand in her mother's death and grandmother's condition (if he acted of his own free will, as a previous poster mentioned). With Blackwell around we may get some of that.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

I thought that was the one point the show HAS been consistent about: that the kids specifically do not want the previous generation to be aware that they have accessed powers because that generation was de-powered by the one prior to it.

To me, this seems like a good reason to be leery of the grandparents more than the parents. We audience know that Charles and Dawn are not to be trusted, but from the kids' point of view it could very well look like the Elders are the trouble.
If anything, the parents having no witchcraft should reassure them: what could they do to the kids in their state? The kids would be the ones with the power in that relationship (which would make for e gripping storyline, IMHO: how do you deal with the idea that you are more powerful that your parents?)
So, no threat (in theory) but a cachet of useful knowledge: sounds like it would be worth exploring to me.

Also, my random thoughts on the episode:

- While I approve Cassie (finally) feeling a tad crass about sleeping in Diana’s bed while pursuing her ex, I have to say, staying in your house all by yourself when every day is another Assassination Attempt Day? Not very smart. On the other hand, it’s Cassie.

- I don’t know who I’m more pissed off with about that “second daughter” crap: Charles or the writing team. Charlie, I get that you momentarily panicked at the thought of a healed, pissed-off Jane coming back, but really? Shitty thing to say in front of your kid, especially about a girl you’ve known for a few months max. (Seriously, did Shelley Henning sleep with the SO of someone on the writing team? Why they keep doing awful things to poor Diana?)
Writers, fuck off. That was cheap and totally unearned. Stop with the Everybody Loves Cassie or at least give me some scenes that explain why they would.

- Fayanalisa (bless Phoebe Tonkin for her awesome portmanteau name for Faye/Diana/Melissa) keep being miles more interesting than Jake/Cassie/Adam (Jassiedam?), I'd say because of

a) Better actors: Shelley Henning managed to make me believe someone could really be in love with Adam simply by looking it so much and seeming devastated in a good number of post-breakup scenes; Phoebe Tonkin manages to raise her character from Faith-lite to an engaging personality even while playing the bitch, no mean feat; Jessica Parker Kennedy makes Melissa so damn real and sympathetic she made me feel sad about Nick’s death even if I really didn’t care about him and keeps on being one of the most believable characters around. In the other corner, Thomas Dekker has previously shown fair acting chops but is being given shitty material, Chris Zylka is made to be looked at and not much else, Britt Robertson may be able to emote but I’ve yet to see proof of it.
b) Better plot: just the fact it’s not a Love Triangle should suffice, but it has other good points. It ties into Faye’s eternal quest for power, Melissa’s still lingering grief and self-worth issues and Diana’s efforts to redefine herself post-Adam, while introducing new characters and other magical practices (omg, we see magic on a magical show!)
c) The Power of Friendship: ok, so it is a sort of love triangle, but this one is about female friendship. Not only are Diana and Melissa and Faye and Melissa friends, but Diana and Faye are learning to work together no matter their reciprocal differences and hopefully they’ll all grow to be the better for it in the future. Kinda like what a functional circle should be.
d) It’s not about Cassie, Cassie’s powers, Cassie’s daddy issues or getting into Cassie’s pants. Thank god for that.

- Cassie, can you make up your mind about your dad? The last couple episodes you were all about wanting him to be alive and coming to you, now you’re pissed he’s here. You’re not wrong about that, but if so, why getting worked up before?

- I like that john Blackwell doesn’t seem like much, instead of being the overtly evil guy we’ve all been expecting. I REALLY don’t like that he doesn’t seem to have any power: looking defanged is one thing, actually being defanged is another. We’ve been hearing all about how this guy is a badass witch and in his first appearance he’s the one that needs to be saved? Lame.

- You know, the witch hunters are a bunch of bigoted, hypocritical, genocidal maniacs but holy cow, they are very efficient and even smart. To this point, they’ve displayed more magical savviness than the witches themselves. If it wasn’t for the genocidal thing, I might start rooting for them.

- I was totally stoked about seeing some circle magic and I’m totally cool with them impaling the witch hunter, I’m just curious about how that worked: was someone in charge of the direction of the throw? Did they agree to it beforehand? Do they have a hive mind?

- I loved the whole “Lock unlock” thing. Faye must have felt really good saying it.

- Speaking of Faye, oh dear. Lee might be cute and I’m all for you getting Jake out of your system, but you know he’s shady as hell and you shouldn’t trust him.

All in all, another Cassie Is In Danger episode, this time with bonus Cassie’s Dad Is In Danger (maybe it’s genetic?) Not exactly thrilling material, but at least the witch hunters make for competent, ruthless (and apparently immortal or teleportating) villains and John Blackwell is sticking around. With luck, this could possibly bring the parents and kids storylines in contact and maybe we could learn more about the other Blackwell spawn in the circle (I’m hoping for Diana because I have a feeling that Dark!Diana could be awesome, but I’m ok with Melissa too. Just not Faye, it would be too obvious – which means it’s probably Faye.)

Edited by Alkja, Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:31 AM.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

To me, this seems like a good reason to be leery of the grandparents more than the parents. We audience know that Charles and Dawn are not to be trusted, but from the kids' point of view it could very well look like the Elders are the trouble.

I totally agree! According to the kids, though, IIRC, the parents wouldn't talk to them because the experience was too traumatic. The kids DO show an amazing lack of curiosity except where coupling is concerned. I mean, look at the Cassie/Adam/Diana triangle. Adam's father, who supposedly won't talk about the witchcraft thing, is more than forthcoming about his 'destiny' with Cassie's mother, and do the kids take the opportunity to delve further into the witch aspect of his memories? No, they angst over whether the 'destiny' gets repeated in their generation. Largely because the CW believes the triangle is the more intriguing aspect of the story, which explains why the show is so frustrating. The generational conflicts are much more interesting.

Rosaria

Rosaria

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Speaking of Faye, oh dear. Lee might be cute and I’m all for you getting Jake out of your system, but you know he’s shady as hell and you shouldn’t trust him.

I completely agree, when she walked in on him in her room she just let it slide. I mean this was the same guy that you just found out was draining your powers).

Another thing that bothers me about this show is the continuity, does Cassie remember she has a crystal because that could have come in handy(just saying), Grandma Jane your granddaughter has been getting massacred on a nearly weekly bases where the heck are you!

The whole love triangle thing between Adam/Cassie/Jake is getting ridiculous I feel more chemistry between Jake and Adam then either of them do with Cassie.

The things I loved about Return was the circle magic and Gale's new hair. I honestly still felt this episode was Cassie based but also let the other characters in.
The Secret Circle still has a long way to go though.

Edited by Rosaria, Feb 19, 2012 @ 3:27 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

. I mean this was the same guy that you just found out was draining your powers).

I like Lee and given he doesn't have a Cassie obsession would love for him to stcik around but given he has yet to come clean about coma ex, it's likely that he'll be gone by next week or the week after.

I think a better resolution would have been him taking Faye to see his ex, or explaining the situation to her. At least that way, Faye might understand where his intentions are at. I buy that he has feelings for her and I think him kissing her was genuine but I think it came way to early.

But then again, I don't know why I think it would have played out this way when the writers have missed every other obvious chance to make the show more interesting.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

Jake/Cassie/Adam (Jassiedam?)

I prefer Jakassie.

ardentshine

ardentshine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Adam... does anybody else get some serious gay vibes off him at times? I mean I do buy him as a romantic lead for the most part but there's just these certain times where I can't help but think that he's so gay...

I'm recalling a scene from TSCC in which Cameron/Glau is all "You need to put your hand up under my chassis," and Connor/Dekker is all, "Oh so wrong so right but okay!" Point being, if Dekker doesn't swing that way, I never picked up on it, and that's probably because the writing, direction, and chemistry were good enough to make such sexual tension believable from both actors.

I don't get any of that from this show. And from stuff I've seen from Twitter, it seems like the actors have developed friendships off-set, so it doesn't appear as though they don't get along. I think Dekker's problem is that he needs to feel absolutely immersed in a character, and Adam Conant isn't nearly articulated enough yet to push Dekker into committing to the role. I think the writers are tweaking things to make the show more coherent, but it seems like it's this intense haul up a snowy mountain forcing them to take one step at a time in fixing all of the problems. But the longer we wait, the more often we get scenes like Adam holding Cassie in this most awkward "I'm doing this because the script says to" kind of way.

Edited by ardentshine, Feb 19, 2012 @ 5:29 PM.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

The kid's also seem to be under the impression that their parents are responsible adults who would tell the Elders (God after years of CANCELLED I want to put Ever Useless before that word) and have their powers ripped from them. Alas they don't know the reality that Dawn and Charles are worse than kids. The only problem with this theory is the circle know that Diana's granny knows Cassie has power (and by extension most likely the rest of them) but not once have they panicked about it.

The main problem is (besides the one I've lamented repeatedly so ill spare everyone) that is the show had plenty of plot conflict to go on before the introduced witch hunters, you had the kids discovering things, the parents plots and the back-story. By adding witch hunters they had to drop so many promising conflicts as you cant focus on family intrigue when you have a militant organised group trying to kill you. It was really a bad idea to bring in an external antagonist group this early especially one with unknown numbers. Imagine if The Vampire Diaries had dropped the Damon as villain plot by season 1 ep 7 and brought in the Originals, it would have been a mess.

Someone upthread mentioned about Cassie having a crystal, but why does she care now she has dark magic to make her a special snow flake. So many things start on this show and then get forgotten because the writers change their minds

As it is the show hasn't even finished its first season and has had two soft reboots already: the Post Nick reboot and The Mid-Season Break reboot where Charles and Dawns Partnership collapsed, Jane got carted off (off screen!) and faye got entangled with the voodoo dudes. I recently rewatched the midseason premier again when it aired locally in HD and laughed when Cassie said that Jane had gone to a clinic for a couple of days because now after so many episodes gone its hilarious. It reminds me of an Australian soap called Neighbours where a grandmother character went off on a month long cruise with her new love and was never heard of again on the show (or on sunset beach where the character Leo who was being set up as being ill and his father scheming to do something to his half brother due to genetics compatibility. Then one ep the writers changed their minds and Leo went off to the other side of the web cafe to talk to some guys from his class. NEVER. SEEN. AGAIN. in spite of the Father and Half brother remaining on show...)

EDITED TO ADD

ardentshine

I think the writers are tweaking things to make the show more coherent, but it seems like it's this intense haul up a snowy mountain forcing them to take one step at a time in fixing all of the problems.

As mentioned above, the writers keep tweaking and then they re-tweak as they now are second guessing their new story decision. See Jane finding out about the circle and becoming more involved, then having the mind wipe then being carted off during hiatus. same with Cassie and her crystal. I do however totally agree with you on the Dekker as John Connor selling that sexual tension with Cameron, now if only Adam could have the character writing John had (that Jessie confrontation in the hotel "if you pretend not to know me I might shoot you in the head"!) or heck even Dekker's character Zach on heroes had stronger development and he was a tertiery character (though dekker was pissed off for similar reasons to the ones you gave about Adam, because the writers were planing to change Zach to gay when Dekker hadn't played him that way. I though both being gay or having a crush on Claire could have worked with what ended up on screen but it messed with how he saw the character). And yet again I am comparing Heroes favourably to this show! At least this time it was the almost perfect first season, though i still think the messy and random final season still has better writing and characters (mostly the Patrelis. God Imagine if Angel Patrelli was one of the elders how hard would that rock!)

Edited by Sonicsean34, Feb 19, 2012 @ 5:51 PM.

Rosaria

Rosaria

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

But then again, I don't know why I think it would have played out this way when the writers have missed every other obvious chance to make the show more interesting.

I agree i feel like all the writers have accomplished so far this season is make Cassie seem like the bestest most special witch in the world. While the other circle member are extras lying around only for when Cassie does something stupid (which is every week) and they have to save her. I wish the writers didn't have the circle bound so fast. I would have loved to see some individual magic and well magic in general (this show really skips the magical part of them being witches) but then again this is the "Cassie and Friends" show so god-forbid someone else from the circle do anything remotely interesting.

Another problem i keep having with the whole bound circle is that we never get that many scenes where all of the members are together and being witchy (this has improved over the latest episodes). I mean shouldn't they be practicing their gifts/powers instead of winging it every time something happens.

I like Lee and given he doesn't have a Cassie obsession would love for him to stcik around but given he has yet to come clean about coma ex, it's likely that he'll be gone by next week or the week after.

That is the only reason that i love Lee as well he hasn't boarded the Cassie Blake train and started humping her leg like Jake and Adam.
Lee has potential to either aid or destroy the circle. If he somehow gets Faye on his side with lies of power, it could make shift in the dynamics of the circle.( but then again Cassie not a main part of that plot so...)
Callum is an interesting character as well. I was hoping the writers would give a twist and make Callum more good then bad. ( here's hoping he doesn't meet the same fate as Nick)

now if only Adam could have the character writing John had

Sometime i wish Adam had stayed possessed that's the most personality I've seen out of him all season, the only thing Adam does for majority of episodes is have intense eye-sex with Cassie.

Edited by Rosaria, Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:05 PM.

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

I totally agree! According to the kids, though, IIRC, the parents wouldn't talk to them because the experience was too traumatic. The kids DO show an amazing lack of curiosity except where coupling is concerned.

Good point, and since the taboo was broken with Jane when the stakes got high enough and if the writers would but write the stakes high enough where one of their kids thought they *had to* run to Charles or Dawn for help in getting out of a situation, the floodgates would open there also. Or, a scene where Diana or Faye winds up incapacitated and someone else remembers the "one witch family member is as good as another because it's all blood based" that they were so eager to stick us with as a justification for Jake - even if Charles and Dawn have no powers maybe it's all that's necessary is a conduit, or a mystery ensues forwarding the parents' plotline because the "stand-in" one of them does get their magic temporarily "recharged" by doing magic with the kids. But instead, they take all the older witches off the table as viable options - Henry dead, Calvin dead, Kate shuffled out of town because she, oh by the way, tried to kill Cassie - leaving the kids alone. It's quite another thing to have an adult help them and then be whipped out of the urgent situation leaving them in distress, and they could've done that with Jane, except it was paced wrongly and they were in no urgent situation when they dragged Jane off.

Edited by QueenAnne, Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:17 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

That is the only reason that i love Lee as well he hasn't boarded the Cassie Blake train and started humping her leg like Jake and Adam.

And he's gorgeous, I'll just come out and say that I'm really wishing that he would stick around once the coma ex storyline is done. I think the character could do a lot for the show and Grey Damon showed he's more then capable as a romantic possibility in his small scenes with Diana and his scenes with Faye. Plus, the show is seriously lacking in hot mysterious guys. The Vampire Diaries is crawling with them, at least try and successfully compete with that show on a shallow note :)

But of course none of this will happen since his sole reason for existence has nothing to do with Cassie.

Rosaria

Rosaria

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

And he's gorgeous

Your absolutely right :) He is gorgeous. Plus he and Faye have some serious chemistry going on and honestly that's more then i can say for the whole Jake/Cassie/Adam love triangle....

But of course none of this will happen since his sole reason for existence has nothing to do with Cassie.

We'll just have to enjoy him while he lasts which i'm guessing won't be long ...God forbid something actually interesting happen that doesn't involve Cassie

Edited by Rosaria, Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:20 PM.

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:47 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with the Cassie show. I actually tuned in because of Britt. I really enjoyed her on Life Unexpected, and expected her to bring the same kind of spark to this show. Imagine my surprise when she is honestly my least liked character, and the actor I struggle with most while watching. If Nick was still on that award would go to Louis Hunter, but I'm probably one of the few who was glad to see him go. I actually find Jake a marked improvement, at least storyline wise. Zylka is no acting master himself, but he manages to sell me with nearly everyone but Cassie/Britt.

I often find myself watching this show thinking about the great possibilities in it. I'm intrigued by the Blackwell mystery child. I selfishly want it to be Faye because she's my favorite character, and I honestly think the most storyline potential could be met by Cassie/Faye being sisters. They might actually be a Cassie relationship I could invest in. I'm upset that they already hinted so heavily at Faye though. I really wish they hadn't done that. I still think there is a large chance she is the child, but the mystery would be better served with well... mystery. If it's not Faye my money is on Diana. The writers don't care enough about Melissa, and if I'm honest I could care less about her as well. I don't really see the potential between her and Cassie. The actresses as far as I can tell don't really spark in scenes, and more than anything I need Cassie to spark, or I'll fall asleep.

Another issue I have with this show is the supposed love interests. I WANT to buy into Cassie/Adam. I just don't. I think they had genuine spark in the pilot, but since then I have felt nada. To be fair, I can't feel sexual tension between Adam and any of the girls. I actually think Adam/Diana has had the most heartwarming moments, but they're a lost cause so why bother investing. Adam is earmarked for Cassie no matter how sexless they appear.

...Which brings me to Cassie/Jake. I find them even more offensive than Cassie/Adam. I think Jake had potential to be a really great bad boy who eventually developed a conscience. Unfortunately Miss Magical Cassie had him whipped two episodes in. I don't see chemistry between the actors, but even if I did I wouldn't buy into the story. I actually really enjoy Jake in scenes with Faye and Adam, and I am hoping the show will keep him in those spheres while developing him for a while. Hell, I'd really love to see Jake interact with Diana and Melissa as well. Anything to actually move his character beyond simply another Cassie worshipper. I think Jake/Faye have the most romantic chemistry on the show, and I find I enjoy all of their scenes. I don't exactly want a romantic relationship, because I think that would stretch the bounds of believability for both characters at this point, but I like their connection, and well... they're hot. Hoping the show continues to use that connection/friendship as a staple for both characters. I think they have the potential to be the "bad" guys with a really great friendship that occasionally have sex.

As for Lee, I thought he had potential but the writing has dragged him down. Grey Damon really has a presence, but I feel that fading. Lee is becoming too soft, and unfortunately the Lee/Faye chemistry isn't carrying it for me. I actually think he had way more chemistry with Diana. If they would explore that, and fix characterization a bit I would be all for having him stay around. As mentioned before, this show NEEDS hot guys.

Edited by badhabit, Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:50 AM.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

The kid's also seem to be under the impression that their parents are responsible adults who would tell the Elders (God after years of CANCELLED I want to put Ever Useless before that word) and have their powers ripped from them. Alas they don't know the reality that Dawn and Charles are worse than kids. The only problem with this theory is the circle know that Diana's granny knows Cassie has power (and by extension most likely the rest of them) but not once have they panicked about it.

Why would the kids think their parents would rat them out to the same people who depowered them? If anything else, they would be justified in thinking that coming clean would result in a Us+Parents VS Grandparents type of conflict.
Also, I don't understand how they can think the parents don't know about them: magic is in their bloodlines, their grandparents had it, their parents di, of course they would have it too! Unless they think that along with the powers the parents somehow lost the memory of magic too.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

Eh, don't worry about the Elders thing, I go "This show sucks and I want to die" in my head soooooo much when watching an episode it's not funny. CANCELLED leaves its mark on you.

ITA about Dekker: he is capable of acting, just watch him in scenes with Ethan and Diana. Put him in a scene with Cassie and watch any spark ignominiously fizzle. It may be because Ethan and Diana are also played by competent actors that respond to him with something more than pouts or glassy-eyed stares, but I'm willing to bet the material isn't really helping (fair's fair, in his place I'd be bored out of my mind in most of his scenes.)

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

Eh, don't worry about the Elders thing, I go "This show sucks and I want to die" in my head soooooo much when watching an episode it's not funny. CANCELLED leaves its mark on you.

But CANCELLED had a better first season than this show does. They actually, for the most part, knew what they wanted to happen on the show. For secret circle they just seem to be doing whatever they think might be interesting.

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Do you mean Charmed? It seems kind of logical, but why?

Also, I like Secret Circle despite its flaws. With Charmed I never saw anything but flaws (except for the episode where Prue died. That was actually kinda decent.)

Edited by Hamnoo, Feb 20, 2012 @ 5:15 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

As for Lee, I thought he had potential but the writing has dragged him down. Grey Damon really has a presence, but I feel that fading. Lee is becoming too soft, and unfortunately the Lee/Faye chemistry isn't carrying it for me. I actually think he had way more chemistry with Diana. If they would explore that, and fix characterization a bit I would be all for having him stay around. As mentioned before, this show NEEDS hot guys.

But that's why they should keep him I think. He has potential with Faye and Diana and he's interesting. Adam and Jake are lame as the male leads because they're basically obsessed with Cassie. I wouldn't route with any of the other girls with them because they're all far better then Cassie and shouldn't have to play second fiddle to her.

That being said, for some reason I would have loved a few Jake/Melissa scenes regarding Nick.

Rosaria

Rosaria

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

That being said, for some reason I would have loved a few Jake/Melissa scenes regarding Nick.

I completely agree i thought i was the only one that wanted that. Seriously I would have just wanted Jake mourning Nick in anyway..for guy whose brother just died he springs back quickly.

Melissa/Jake interactions would have been great idea for members of the circle to talk to each other rather then stay in the cliques of (Jake/Cassie/Adam) and ( Melissa/Faye/Diana) (Diana/Adam/Cassie)

Edited by Rosaria, Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:55 PM.

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Why would the kids think their parents would rat them out to the same people who depowered them? If anything else, they would be justified in thinking that coming clean would result in a Us+Parents VS Grandparents type of conflict.
Also, I don't understand how they can think the parents don't know about them: magic is in their bloodlines, their grandparents had it, their parents di, of course they would have it too! Unless they think that along with the powers the parents somehow lost the memory of magic too.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make sense because it's writer's fiat, and if they wrote any sort of intergenerational interaction or a coherent, ever-present threat (seriously, those witch hunters should be all but persecuting the kids to up the stakes, not taking long, leisurely breaks), all of this stuff would happen logically. And/or if the parents showed anything to the kids to show that they were not against taking confidences, the kids probably would ask their parents questions. But no one can ask any questions of Charles and Dawn, at least, because they have to keep their (evil) secret a secret, and Ethan is always getting drunk or drugged so they can't ask him any questions either. At the very least Cassie could have gone to Charles and/or Dawn to ask questions about her father, that's not necessarily "magic questions".

badhabit

badhabit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Chas411 - I'm good with Lee staying around, but not as he is right now. I liked who he was when they first brought him on, but once again I feel like they've made him soft too fast. I like to see things earned, and TSC never does that. Everyone just magically changes. I'm hoping this girlfriend storyline isn't lame, because I really do think Grey Damon would be a good addition. I'm not really a fan of he and Faye at this point, but he really did pop with Diana. Hell, I'd keep him around simply for the potential of that.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

I don't just think Cassie is boring, I think all the characters are boring. Every character seems to do stupid things and where's all the magic the "circle" was supposed to do now they are together.

The show doesn't really seem to have a focus of where it's going. Or maybe it does. Cancellation pile.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

I have a question because I don't remember all the details from previous episodes. Was it ever specifically mentioned that the other Blackwell child is a member of the circle? Or could it be someone else like coma girlfriend (was her name ever mentioned)?