The Secret Circle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1746 replies to this topic

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2011 @ 4:13 PM

Anyway, has everyone else here read the SC books? I haven't read them yet, but might take them up this summer as we're going on a road trip. I think they'll make for some good cheesy summer reading.

I grew up reading these LJ Smith series and can testify that "good cheesy summer reading" is exactly what it is. I didn't like BookCassie but I imagine the show will reshape her to make her more appealing to the modern audience. And as for the "no strong love story" business, in the books there's a triangle between Cassie, Diana and Adam. (Nick makes it a big of a quadrangle but LJ Smith loves her love triangles and that's what it really was essentially.) They'd probably want to distinguish this series as something different and separate from The Vampire Diaries and move away from the triangle... but who knows. Oh, and count me in as someone who doesn't like the cutting out of Deborah and Suzanne and the downsizing of the coven. If not them, who's going to be giving Faye the time of day?

I'll be keeping an eye on it out of curiosity and maintain the same arm's length distance I maintained with TVD at the beginning of its run.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2011 @ 2:24 PM

Oh, and count me in as someone who doesn't like the cutting out of Deborah and Suzanne and the downsizing of the coven. If not them, who's going to be giving Faye the time of day?

Melissa, the specially created character will be Faye's ally from what I can tell. I do agree that I'm saddened by the downsizing although I get it, I hope that they bring in a few of the characters over the course of the series.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 2:41 PM

They'd probably want to distinguish this series as something different and separate from The Vampire Diaries and move away from the triangle... but who knows.

Oh please, let this be so.

This is me not holding my breath though.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

Melissa, the specially created character will be Faye's ally from what I can tell.

Oh right, sorry I forgot. I wonder if she'll be a fusion of Deborah and Suzanne then? (And has anyone else thought that Deborah would be lesbian in 2011? I kind of think that maybe LJ Smith wanted to take her there but had to play safe. That also reminds me of the Greek god/goddess parallels she drew between the characters, which is hilarious now.)

This is me not holding my breath though.

Hey, rove3. Me neither. But if they don't go with the triangle, I can see them running with it in a soapier direction of crazier polyangles. I suppose it's too much to hope for complex, nuanced relationships instead of the typical cookie cutter types?

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

Oh no, not polygons! AuntieLizard say it isn't so! LOST forever scarred me on that point. *involuntary tic*

Anyone know when networks generally announce what pilots they've picked up? Does it happen at upfronts?

Edited by rove3, Apr 21, 2011 @ 1:49 PM.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 4:19 AM

Yes, it usually happens at upfronts although the news often leaks a day or two earlier. But sometimes such announcements are made earlier.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2011 @ 5:23 PM

The CW Upfronts are scheduled for May 19th. I'd say they'll get a season.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 8:01 AM

In today's screening, Kevin Williamson's pilot THE SECRET CIRCLE lived up to the hype and now firmly holds the frontrunner position with medical drama HART OF DIXIE. HEAVENLY and procedural COOPER & STONE are still behind, followed by zombie drama AWAKENING and DANNI LOWINSKI, with the latter not as bad as many think but probably not good enough to make the cut to series.

http://www.deadline....st/#more-129435

Definetly good news for those excited about the show :)

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 3:34 PM

It's been picked up by the CW :)

http://blog.zap2it.c...-by-the-cw.html

Amanda Rachel

Amanda Rachel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 4:06 PM

has anyone else thought that Deborah would be lesbian in 2011?

Heh. Totally.

It's taken me until about now get over the fact that TV Elena is not a blonde, so I don't know how I'm going to deal with the casting of this Diana since L.J. Smith always went to great pains to describe her hair as "sunlight and moonlight woven together" on basically every third page of the trilogy.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 5:17 PM

Well the Upfronts were today and here is the first official trailer. Let me know what you think :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JxWAIbq3ARA

Plus a sneak peek :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GiLRYy9k8Ts

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 4:37 AM

I can't tell too much about the series based on the trailers but based on descriptions I've read and trailers I will at least check it out. Unlike many people I have never read the books for this series or other book-based series that I watch(ed) such as Gossip Girl, Vampire Diaries, Legend of the Seeker and Game of Thrones. That means that at least I won't be disappointed about things that change from the books (like TVD's Elena's hair color). I'll judge the series based only on what I see on screen.

Of course it helps that it is on the CW. I usually like their series, at least in the beginning. I have given up on One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, 90210 and Smallville after one or more seasons because I no longer liked the story lines and/or characters in those series and I never got into Supernatural. But based on the WB/CW track record I'll at least check out all their new series and give them at least a few episodes to see if I like them.

brighthope

brighthope

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Books!

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

I'm really looking forward to the show, I loved the books when I was a kid and I don't really remember too much about them, apart from Adam and Cassie being soulmates. It will be interesting to see how the work that in, I do like the case mostly, I guess.

I don't remember not liking Cassie, and I'm tempted to go back and reread the books, though when I did that with The Vampire Diaries I never got past the first one!

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

Official Series Description from the CW

9:00-10:00 P.M. “THE SECRET CIRCLE”

Cassie Blake was a happy, normal teenage girl – until her mother Amelia dies in what appears to be a tragic accidental fire. Orphaned and deeply saddened, Cassie moves in with her warm and loving grandmother Jane in the beautiful small town of Chance Harbor, Washington – the town her mother left so many years before – where the residents seem to know more about Cassie than she does about herself. As Cassie gets to know her high school classmates, including sweet-natured Diana and her handsome boyfriend Adam, brooding loner Nick, mean-girl Faye and her sidekick Melissa, strange and frightening things begin to happen. When her new friends explain that they are all descended from powerful witches, and they’ve been waiting for Cassie to join them and complete a new generation of the Secret Circle, Cassie refuses to believe them – until Adam shows her how to unlock her incredible magical powers. But it’s not until Cassie discovers a message from her mother in an old leather-bound book of spells hidden in her mother’s childhood bedroom, that she understands her true and dangerous destiny. What Cassie and the others don’t yet know is that darker powers are at play, powers that might be linked to the adults in the town, including Diana’s father and Faye’s mother – and that Cassie’s mother’s death might not have been an accident. The series stars Britt Robertson as Cassie Blake, Thomas Dekker as Adam Conant, Gale Harold as Charles Meade, Phoebe Tonkin as Fay Chamberlain, Jessica Parker Kennedy as Melissa, Shelley Hennig as Diana Meade, Louis Hunter as Nick, Ashley Crow as Jane Blake and Natasha Henstridge as Dawn Chamberlain. Based upon the book series by L.J. Smith (author of “The Vampire Diaries” book series), THE SECRET CIRCLE is from Outerbanks Entertainment and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Kevin Williamson (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Scream,” “Dawson’s Creek”), Andrew Miller (“Imaginary Bitches”), Leslie Morgenstein (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Gossip Girl”) and Gina Girolamo. Elizabeth Craft (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Lie to Me”) & Sarah Fain (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Lie to Me”) were executive producers on the pilot which was directed by Liz Friedlander (“The Vampire Diaries,” “90210”).

http://thesecretcircle.net/

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

I've read some not-so-flattering reviews of the pilot, plus I remember the first few episodes of TVD sucked a lot, so I'll probably wait half a season before watching this.
Also, the main love interest of the heroine already has a girlfriend? Ew. I mean, major Ew. I can stomach boy-girl-boy triangle, but the other way round, it makes me nauseous. Yeah, I know, double standard. Whatever.
Not to mention I never liked Thomas Dekker in TSCC and I certainly don't find him "handsome" or hot.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 2:59 PM

Yeah I must agree that I don't find either main guy attractive.

Also, Adam dating Diana will be a huge problem if it plays like in the books:

With Cassie acting like a giant asshole and Adam being a spineless wimp.

brighthope

brighthope

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Books!

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 5:00 PM

The six minute trailer is now up. Pretty much gives away the full plot of the pilot, but looks good to me!

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 6:19 PM

The six minute trailer is now up. Pretty much gives away the full plot of the pilot, but looks good to me!

After how The Vampire Diaries treats Bonnie, I just don't trust the CW with witches, I don't care much what it is I just don't trust them with it.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 5:48 AM

Actually, are there shows which treat them better? I mean, have a strict set of rules for magic and don't use it as a deus ex machina? It's pretty much always very vaguely defined, and hence, the magic-users suffer.
I really love magic and witches and wizards, etc. (I'm a fantasy geek, and not of urban fantasy/paranormal romance genre that's become increasingly prevalent lately, but rather the secondary world medievalistic type), but I don't think I've ever seen it well developed on the TV. Although you're partly right, Bonnie is even worse than, say, Willow and her magic addiction storyline.

Edited by FurryFury, May 26, 2011 @ 5:48 AM.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 2:14 PM

After how The Vampire Diaries treats Bonnie, I just don't trust the CW with witches, I don't care much what it is I just don't trust them with it.

Actually, are there shows which treat them better? I mean, have a strict set of rules for magic and don't use it as a deus ex machina? ...

Merlin, True Blood, Supernatural, Hex, Game of Thrones, Being Human and Carnivale just at the top of my head.

*ETA: Although I've got to admit those are male witches mostly so maybe the likes of Charmed and Willow aren't treated better than Bonnie on the The Vampire Diaries (I mean, what kind of witches would name their children "Charmed" or "Willow" to begin with?)

Edited by Badrobot92, May 26, 2011 @ 2:21 PM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

Game of Thrones doesn't really have any major spellcasting characters, its magic is very much in the background, and are there witches in Being Human? where? Maybe the US version... Certainly not in the UK one.
Merlin isn't very consistent with magic, there aren't any real rules. But the magic-using characters are at least sympatheric, I give you that. But then, so was, say, Willow.
We haven't seen much of witches on True Blood yet, so I would be hesistant in adding them.
No idea about Supernatural and Carnivale, dropped them pretty quickly (but isn't Supernatural all about the Winchesters and angels/demons? I guess if there were magic users, they had to be guest starts or, at most recurring...)

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2011 @ 2:24 PM

Merlin, True Blood, Supernatural, Hex, Game of Thrones, Being Human and Carnivale just at the top of my head.

*ETA: Although I've got to admit those are male witches mostly so maybe the likes of Charmed and Willow aren't treated better than Bonnie on the The Vampire Diaries (I mean, what kind of witches would name their children "Charmed" or "Willow" to begin with?)

Game of Thrones doesn't really have any major spellcasting characters, its magic is very much in the background, and are there witches in Being Human?...

Several of them, but they are mostly from the white wizards variety in my opinion.

dctangerine

dctangerine

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

Glad I found a forum for The Secret Circle! I've been anxiously excited about the show since I heard it was being developed (I started reading LJ Smith's books about 15 years ago and this trilogy was always one of my favorites).

I'm very interested in how the show develops the Faye and Diana dynamic. In the books, I loved how even though the two of them seemed like polar opposites (Diana: steadfastly pure, conscientious but frustratingly passive in contrast to Faye: silky, ambitious, but morally ambiguous) it was clear that they were connected together by respect, love, and ultimately needed each other. Watching the 6-minute trailer makes me nervous. The way Faye is portrayed is a little too Fairuza-Balk-in-The-Craft for my liking. I never got the sense from the books that Faye is supposed to be slightly unhinged--rather, she always seemed very smart and calculating, if just a little too power-hungry for her own good. Hope they don't make her into a caricature teen villainess.

And Nick. Dear ol' Nick. They've got him looking dated and goofy rather than brooding and mysterious. Bummed.

I love that it looks like they're developing the adults a lot more than what's in the books. In the books, the parents of the coven are really nothing more than uninteresting afterthoughts. With Gale Harold as the big bad, I can't imagine that would be the case at all with the show.

Can't wait for the show to start!

Edited by dctangerine, May 27, 2011 @ 3:37 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

And Nick. Dear ol' Nick. They've got him looking dated and goofy rather than brooding and mysterious. Bummed.

Yeah I must admit, the Nick casting is my biggest disappointment. That hair is just.. awful. They should have had a third guy as well. Not just two who will most likely end up competing for Cassie.

sienna gold

sienna gold

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

YAY! Secret Circle (I Read the first two books years ago, never had a chance to read the last one until last year - kinda ugh LOL), but so glad this is being made into a television show.

Just saw the promo and I can say I can dig it.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 1:36 AM

Looks like the internet ate my first post. Anyway, I just got back from Comic Con and I sat through this show's panel as it immediately preceded Nikita. They showed the entire pilot, followed by a quick Q&A. My (spoiler alert) thoughts are as follows:

The pilot was terrible. Absolutely terrible. There were a couple of genuinely humorous moments, but the audience was laughing throughout at what I promise were scenes that were not meant to be remotely funny. It's such a shame as I like Thomas Dekkar and Britt Robertson, but the characters they play are badly written. We had way too many longing looks (several minutes worth), absurd "you two are fated to be together" dialogue by his father, a love triangle (with another girl in the circle), and a cringe-worthy scene where they do magic together as a very poor metaphor for sex. If the rest of the series retains the pilot's lack of quality, then I expect this to be yet another cancelled series for Thomas and Britt.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 3:08 AM

So, was it worse than The Vampire Diaries' pilot? I recall it was cringeworthy at its best, and the show only became watchable on episode 5 or 6.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

• Interests:TV series (both live action and anime), movies (ditto), gaming, music, clinical psychology, religion.

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 7:10 AM

and a cringe-worthy scene where they do magic together as a very poor metaphor for sex.

Heh, it worked for BtVS, did it not? :D Not that I hoped, even in my wildest dreams, that this show could be half as well written as BtVS.

I liked the TVD pilot well enough because the acting was solid. Crap writing aside, how was the acting in this pilot? I'm especially interested in everyone that isn't the leads as I reasonably confident that those 2 can pull it off. But if everyone else was cast for looks? Ouch.

Edited by Crim, Jul 26, 2011 @ 7:13 AM.

Angela627

Angela627

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 11:52 AM

scarynikki12 I was also at the panel and share many of your same sentiments. I like Britt and I do hope the show gets better

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 12:47 PM

I got the feeling that the actors involved knew exactly how bad the script they were given was, and as a result I think they weren't giving it their all. In all honesty, I don't blame them, considering how many "Thomas and Britt are directed to stare longingly into each others eyes" scenes there were.

The only characters that I felt were sort of decently written and acted were Charles and Faye, as villains on the CW almost always have more meat than anyone else. Even so, I was still rolling my eyes at Faye getting branded as EVIL! because she wanted to go a little crazy with her boosted powers. The girl backed right down once she saw how dangerous they could be and even seemed to be afraid of what she was now capable of (one of the few good acting decisions of the pilot). Charles, on the other hand, I assume will turn out to be Britt's character's bio dad, given the heavy handed "your father was a bad man" line that immediately cuts to the murderer. Subtle, much?

I will say that, at this point, I don't believe anyone was cast for looks, but that's really only due to, IMO, the clear lack of effort by any of the actors. I think they know perfectly well how bad the writing was, but are rolling the dice and hoping that Kevin Williamson's track record with this network pays off. I'm not optimistic, as I quickly came to hate nearly everything about Dawson's Creek, was completely disillusioned by season 2 of The Vampire Diaries (save for three supporting characters), and hated the Scream sequels so much that I refuse to see any more. KW might helm successful shows, but I've found that success is in the form of ratings and not so much quality. YMMV, of course, but I think all of the actors involved can do way better and I hope they can get good projects once this show is cancelled.