Countdown with Keith Olbermann: 2.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

620 replies to this topic

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

Keith did an interview with Fresh Air on NPR

I love Keith's comment about how the best protection of our freedom is the stupidity of the people who would take away our freedom.

Can't wait to see Schustie on my TV again. I'm always happy when I happy to tune in to the Bill Press show and he's guest-hosting.

I'm not surprised Keith hasn't contacted Rachel since leaving MSNBC, it seems to indicate a good amount of self-control if he realizes he would say something he shouldn't and decides not to call.

ETA: That clip of Afflek on SNL brings me back to disliking that sketch. Sigh. There's OTT and there's repeatedly joking that KO throws around Nazi comparisons lightly.

Edited by Al Funcoot, Jun 7, 2011 @ 1:54 PM.

chalkdust

chalkdust

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 10:40 AM

The Fresh Air interview was good, and I was kind of shocked by the reason he gave about contributing to the three Democrats. I had figured that it was because they were all the targets of political dirty tricks, which he had covered, but that it was to defray the costs of security gave me a real chill. It was like I got it right on the abstract plane, but people really weren't threatening in the abstract. *shiver* Really puts his reaction to the Gabrielle Giffords shooting into perspective, although I thought it was appropriate at the time.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

Keith is going to be on Colbert Wednesday! And, he also did an interview with Rolling Stone.

I can't believe we only have a week left until Countdown is back on tv.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 2:59 PM

A week? Dang. I had it in my head that he started tomorrow. Oh well. Can't wait to see him with Stephen, though. That will be great!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 3:47 PM

He'll also be on Jimmy Fallon on Thursday, which should be really great, as there should be some nice digs at NBC/MSNBC.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:20 PM

'm not surprised Keith hasn't contacted Rachel since leaving MSNBC, it seems to indicate a good amount of self-control if he realizes he would say something he shouldn't and decides not to call.

Well, he didn't DO anything to MSNBC. For her to distance herself from him in their personal relationship just makes me think (1) they weren't friends to begin with, (2) she doesn't appreciate his role in her career enough, and (3) she doesn't have the backbone I thought she would.

Love, love, love that Shustie will be on "Countdown". (And, hopefully, if he wants to do an audition tape for CNN at some point to have some chance at a bigger career, hopefully, He. Can.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 12:43 AM

Keith told Jimmy Fallon tonight in no uncertain terms that he wants Rachel to come work with him when she is legally able to do so, and the way he said it implied he didn't pull it out of thin air. I think they are definitely friends. It's just a weird situation, but as he said tonight, they will have time to talk later. Excellent interview as I expected. Look for it online if you missed it. There were indeed jokes about being in the building and even a special comment on why you should watch the show. So happy he's back.

He is also in charge of getting someone for the 9 o'clock hour.

Edited by vb68, Jun 17, 2011 @ 12:47 AM.

chalkdust

chalkdust

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

New list of contributors, pretty strong stuff, not surprises most of them, but among his best contributors from before, plus one fairly spectacular surprise. In addition to Taibbi, Dean, Moore, Burns et al, Maysoon Zayid (yay! wuz hopin'), Jeremy Scahill, Heather McGhee, Derrick Pitts, Kate Sheppard, Jonathan Turley, and... Donald Sutherland.

Edited by chalkdust, Jun 17, 2011 @ 10:24 AM.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 11:09 AM

Maysoon Zayid

No way! That's fantastic! I can't wait for this show to start.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 12:21 PM

I really hope they make this available online. Oi, the Countdown page is a visual mess. I wonder if I will even be able to find the videos if they do.

I wonder if we will see Joel McHale or Dave Foley anymore.

Edited by ThatPoshGirl, Jun 18, 2011 @ 12:22 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 9:58 AM

So excited the show is on tonight!

Angelfirenze

Angelfirenze

Fanatic

• Location:Rockbell Automail; Resembool, Southeastern Amestris
  • Interests:Photoshop. OTPs. OT3s. Fanfiction. Crossovers. Writing. Reading. Fandom. Films/movies. Music. Thinking and other forms of pondering. Medicine. Forensic science. Early morning/late night television. Television shows that make brilliant movies. Movies that make awesome television shows. My favorite characters. Making crossovers plausible. How things work. Proper grammar and punctuation. Shows that shouldn't have been canceled oh-woe-is-me. Countering the culture. Can't have vampires without werewolves. Vice versa. Real vampires DON'T SPARKLE.

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 12:45 PM

It keeps popping into my mind and suddenly I squee all over again. I've had my calendar on my phone set for over a month. Considering my recent bout of political re-burnout, which included The Daily Show/Colbert Report (yeah, it's been bad), I almost find myself surprised at just how excited I am to see our dear Keithie back on the air.

Thank you, current_ (I've loved this channel for a long time, even through changes in format), for making my life Keithier again. Twitter just wasn't enough, I have to say.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 3:30 PM

I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

catkel

catkel

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 4:06 PM

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 4:42 PM

Yes, we're there. Now sit down and stop fussing.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading (especially mysteries & autobiographies), acting, swimming, listening to music, the Internet

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 7:42 PM

Well, he didn't DO anything to MSNBC. For her to distance herself from him in their personal relationship just makes me think (1) they weren't friends to begin with, (2) she doesn't appreciate his role in her career enough, and (3) she doesn't have the backbone I thought she would.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but how are KO's actions/reactions, RM's responsibility?

He is also in charge of getting someone for the 9 o'clock hour.

Cool! :) I was coming to say that Current TV desperately needs more programming options (I did watch Bar Karma) because while I like KO a lot, they are rerunning the show 9 times between each new episode, all week. I'm not sure if that is just because this is the premiere week?

Edited by Bigwheels1971, Jun 20, 2011 @ 7:50 PM.

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

OMG!!!!!!

Great show tonight - so glad Keith is back!

The best part by far? Markos M at the end calling out Joe Scarborough by name!!!!! 'Hey Keith, I'm glad you're somewhere that gives you a say in who your guests are...' HA!!!!!

kattybiz

kattybiz

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

Cool! :) I was coming to say that Current TV desperately needs more programming options (I did watch Bar Karma) because while I like KO a lot, they are rerunning the show 9 times between each new episode, all week. I'm not sure if that is just because this is the premiere week?

He said after this week, it would only be repeated 5 times a day.

And I heard the music tonight and was instantly happy. Welcome back SIR, indeed.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

I was surprised to hear that familiar music. I would have thought MSNBC owned it. Nevertheless, all's right with the world on a news reporting level.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 5:43 AM

I was surprised to hear that familiar music. I would have thought MSNBC owned it.

I believe it's actually a selection from Beethoven.

KittenPoker

KittenPoker

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 6:08 AM

Had to watch one of the live streams because my cable company sucks ass. That said, I can't even remember most of the show. I sat there with a goofy grin on my face, basking in the Purple Tie Glow of my laptop. So happy to have KO back!

I did miss the Tweety "HA!" for Oddball/Time. Marches. ON! and the TRMS toss. Very small price to pay.

Hopefully Current will get off their duffs and release full podcasts soon. I don't want to be chained to the computer ever night. I've sent tweets and left messages at the Current/Countdown site.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 6:36 AM

What was his opening line? As I was saying? I thought that was clever. I enjoyed the premiere very much & I wasn't a regular Countdown watcher on MSNBC. I didn't like that he went over and seemingly plans on going over into the 9:00 hour regularly. I had to record that Oxycontin show at 3am to get the end of the Markos interview, but it was worth it.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 8:16 AM

Heh, best part was Joe Scarborough being called out for a whiny baby he is. It was strange not having the number countdown.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 10:19 AM

Heh, best part was Joe Scarborough being called out for a whiny baby he is.

That was fantastic! I'm going to have to read the Morning Joe thread to see if he had any reaction.

Heh on Keith's sly "I forgot to tell people we are going over every night." At least tell the dvrs, Keith!

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 10:50 AM

Yes, the theme music is from Beethoven's 9th Symphony -- and was also used for the NBC news about three decades ago (David Brinkley), so Keith's choice is an homage to the golden age of network news.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

Many thanks to my fellow KOfans for enlightening me about the music.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 9:31 PM

Decent ratings for last night. He beat CNN in the demo.

torgoman

torgoman

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 9:40 PM

The best part by far? Markos M at the end calling out Joe Scarborough by name!!!!! 'Hey Keith, I'm glad you're somewhere that gives you a say in who your guests are...' HA!!!!!

Markos M does Keith a favor and calls out Scarborough and in return Keith puts a positive spin on DKos's associate editor's smug, immature interview of Dan Pfieffer at Netroots Nation. (Yep, saw it on FSTV. Really bad.)

Calling out Scarborough never gets old. But, sorry, Markos M, I didn't really miss you.

Good to have Keith back though.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

Is it just me or is Keith looking a bit thicker around the middle?

And what did he do to his foot?

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2011 @ 1:41 AM

The panel tonight, with exception of McKean in the final five minutes, unfortunately looked like the B team.

Edited by vb68, Jun 22, 2011 @ 1:41 AM.