Countdown with Keith Olbermann: 2.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

620 replies to this topic

Listen Lady

Listen Lady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:10 AM

Well I guess he's back in the saddle, somewhat. My mouth dropped open when I saw him listed as a roundtable participant on This Week. Before I hit play I came here hoping someone else had commented so I could know ahead of time how bad or good it was. I thought his contributions were rather tepid and tentative, which I chalked up to nerves at the new environment and temporary hypersenstivity about public perceptions of him. The one time he seemed to have his footing was baseball history of course.

I became increasingly uncomfortable listening to Peggy Noonan and George Will give their right wing perspectives, knowing Keith is not accustomated to a) being face-to-face with conservatives, and/or b) being polite to conservatives. Those two more than likely at one time or another were a worse, worser or worst person on Countdown. And here he is attempting to engage in polite conversation with them. I chuckled when Peggy said in her mincing way it's time for someone who's "fully adult". I assumed Keith's blood was starting to boil and then the camera landed on him and sure enough his head was tilted and his eyes were squinted in confusion. The look that conveys head scratching without the actual fingers on scalp. Hee.

If he plans to make this a regular thing I hope he realizes This Week invites the dregs of the dregs to participate in that roundtable on a regular basis. Just wait til he has to share the table and have polite conversation with Liz Cheney, Ann Coulter or Laura Ingraham.

I still wish he had just taken a long vacation and regrouped rather than throwing in the towel at MSNBC. I bet he wishes that too right about now.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Heh, KO vs. Coulter or Ingraham could be fun, maybe especially on the online "after party" that This Week (and I suppose all the Sabbath Gasbag programs) has available now? Will go check out yesterday's show online, if only for the baseball history portion of the round table.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Only for Keith would I have put up with watching Peggy Noonan and George Will. It was great seeing him back on tv.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

Keith lashes out at Jimmy Kimmel for WHCD Jokes.

This isn't predictable at all!

I watch the WHCD every year and I thought Kimmel was about the least funny keynoter in recent memory, but he did leave practically everyone in politics, media and even show business unscathed. Keith Olbermann would be the thinnest skinned person in the public eye.

Pajiba

Pajiba

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

Those two more than likely at one time or another were a worse, worser or worst person on Countdown.

I don't recall either of them being in the WPITW book or on that segment on Countdown. Plus I think Keith and George are closer than we might think given their respective mania/lust/love about baseball.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Keith is sporting the Colonel Sanders look these days.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

He looks good like that. Dammit, I wish he were around someplace.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Someone on twitter told him not to wear a white suit until he changed his facial hair configuration. He was at Josh Gad's final appearance in Book of Mormon yesterday & I think I gleaned from twitter that he's had surgery/lost weight due to surgery, I'm guessing for his back.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

He seems to be having lots of fun having twitter fights with people.

english

english

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Apparently Keith will be on This Week with George Stephanopoulos (Snuffleupagus?) tomorrow morning on ABC. I'll be Tivo'ing since I don't believe in Sunday mornings.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Keith Olbermann would be the thinnest skinned person in the public eye.

While I agree w/ many of his opinions, I've always found KO to be an arrogant, self-absorbed gasbag who yes, is possibly the thinnest-skinned person in media.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

I think Mr. O'Reilly could give him a run for his money in that category. One of the things I hated about Keith's MSNBC show (I never saw the new one) was his obsession with O'Reilly. I lost count of the number of times O'Reilly was the "Worst Person In The World," or how much of KO's show was devoted to dissing O'Reilly. While i don't watch Fox, whenever I've seen O'Reilly on anything, he too struck me as a pompous ass. Those two really deserve each other.

Vienna Woods

Vienna Woods

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

Could Keith be coming back?

The article relies on unnamed sources, but, for whatever it's worth, Forbes magazine reported today that, in recent weeks, Keith "has reached out to executives at a slew of different networks to communicate his desire for a new on-air role," and he is not confining his proposals to ones for news shows.

Edited by Vienna Woods, Oct 25, 2012 @ 5:53 PM.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

Keith is returning to tv!  Its sports but its still tv  http://www.usatoday....enter-/2524945/

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

I cannot fathom why ESPN imagines this time will be better. A  two-year contract, for heaven's sake! It is to laugh.

I mean, I love Keith, I do. But my love does not blind me to the evidence that he's a poor employee. A terrific broadcaster, but a poor employee.

Ah well, it's their money.

I suppose it's worth finding out where ESPN2 is on my cable dial...

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

It should be interesting - going by his twitter feed, he is spending lots of time going to baseball games so maybe he will be happier returning to sports.  Heh, he hates the Yankees so that should make it more fun.  And, I miss him on tv so I'm glad he'll be back. 

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 12:11 PM

I'm not giving up Colbert or Letterman, but maybe I'll check out the first half hour. Then again, if it repeats in the wee hours on ESPN2, I'll give it a chance via DVR.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 12:35 AM

I cannot fathom why ESPN imagines this time will be better. A  two-year contract, for heaven's sake! It is to laugh.

I mean, I love Keith, I do. But my love does not blind me to the evidence that he's a poor employee. A terrific broadcaster, but a poor employee.

Ah well, it's their money.

I suppose it's worth finding out where ESPN2 is on my cable dial...

Agreed. Anyone want to take a guess at the over/under?

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 3:00 AM

Maybe Nate Silver will tame him.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 9:03 AM

As nowandlater hints, the NYT is reporting (unconfirmed) that Nate is taking his 538 blog/brand over to Keith's new show (to be called Olbermann). Silver's contract with NYT is up in August, Keith's show debuts the end of that month.  I imagine it will be a SABRiffic meeting of the minds.

Landsnarkk

Landsnarkk

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

This is going to be awesome.  I hope he follows a scorched earth policy and lays waste to all his targets, and I hope ESPN is a frequent target.