Hungry Girl

• Please log in to reply

641 replies to this topic

AllisonJenny

AllisonJenny

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I don't know why she recommended jerky as an office snack in the Pick Me Ups episode. That stuff has too much sodium, especially for someone already watching fat and calories. She skipped over saying "check the sodium" while talking about nuts and energy bars in the grocery store. Missed opportunity to be helpful there, I think.

The poppin' party mix looked gross. Kix cereal, popcorn, dehydrated fruit, Fiber one and chocolate soy nuts do not go together. I would stop inviting someone to my parties if they brought that.

Edited by AllisonJenny, Mar 14, 2012 @ 6:51 PM.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Missed opportunity to be helpful there, I think.

I'm afraid that if you are looking for helpful dieting tips, Hungry Girl is the wrong place to go looking for them.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I have an elderly neighbor who loves SF Jello mixed with FF Cool Whip...

I was curious as to how many calories a regular cup of Jello and some real whipped cream would have, so I looked it up. 80 for the Jello and 60 for the whipped cream. 140 total, and the sugarfree/fatfree options add up to 18 calories. 122 calories avoided by eating chemicals is not that much, in the grand scheme of things.

It's not the worst way people can eat - probably better than what they might be eating otherwise.

That depends on what they would be eating otherwise. Eating real food instead of fake substitutes would be healthier. Calories are not the only thing that count.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

I have an elderly neighbor who loves SF Jello mixed with FF Cool Whip...I was curious as to how many calories a regular cup of Jello and some real whipped cream would have, so I looked it up. 80 for the Jello and 60 for the whipped cream. 140 total, and the sugarfree/fatfree options add up to 18 calories. 122 calories avoided by eating chemicals is not that much, in the grand scheme of things.

It's not the worst way people can eat - probably better than what they might be eating otherwise.That depends on what they would be eating otherwise. Eating real food instead of fake substitutes would be healthier. Calories are not the only thing that count.

As my entire post stated, I'm not saying some of her food isn't weird - just pointing out that there is an audience who actually likes that kind of food. I wouldn't eat jello with whipped cream under any circumstances let alone mixed together.

Of course, eating habits are relative but I doubt very much that anyone who is nutritionally sophisticated and eating a diet of home cooked meals consisting of complex carbs, lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies and is watching this program and emulating the foods. Her audience has relatively unsophisticated tastes and cooking skills.

Her audience is making substitutes of less healthy highly caloric foods - fast foods, junk foods - the typical American diet for many people. I don't think many people are going from brown rice/tofu casseroles to diet hot dogs in fake BBQ sauce.

To me, this represents baby steps as it is giving them food within their comfort zone as less caloric substitutions. Maybe they will eventually evolve as their tastes change and they learn more about nutrition.

Nutrition is complex and weight loss is difficult but in the end it really is all about calories to a great extent if you want to lose weight which is what this show is about - for women (to a great extent) who are younger (to a great extent). They may graduate to someone like Ellie Krieger but that's not her show or her audience.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Actually, Lisa does spend a fair amount of time at the stove on her show. It also seemed like for a brief time, she used more real ingredients as opposed to fake stuff -- which is good. I think that Lisa has better cooking skills than what she's demonstrating on TV and yes, is dumbing them down to meet her demographic. For example, she doesn't laboriously hack up produce like Aunt Sandy does. She has halfway decent knife skills and she's able to nicely prepare ingredients like boneless/skinless chicken breast, which is easy to quickly dry out and ruin.

There are some dishes that Lisa has prepared that take far more time and trouble than a similar dish prepared by Ellie Krieger. It's been a while since I've watched the show, but one example that comes to mind was when Lisa purchased cole slaw at the deli, then spent 10 minutes rinsing all of the dressing off of it. In that amount of time, you could shred half a head of cabbage and whip up healthy homemade dressing that doesn't include fatty mayo or a lot of sugar.

There have been many shows along the lines of Ellie's and none of them lasted very long. I think that the secret to Lisa's success is that she came to TCC and FN with a built-in audience who follow her website and have bought her cookbooks. That's a gold mine for advertisers. It seems like the new trend now, at least for FN. They've done the same thing with "Pioneer Woman."

Lisa's approach just seems outdated. I am not sure who her target audience is. I work with women in their late 20's-early 30's and while they are thin, they don't "diet." They are very health-conscious and particular about what they eat. It's salads from Trader Joe's and fresh fruit and if they have frozen entree's, they always are Kashi or Healthy Choice. They also have quite an array of sophisticated condiments in the fridge and cupboards. One of them went on a juice fast for a week and I was impressed that she made all of her juice from scratch at home. Here I thought I was the "smartest thing on the block" (TM Aunt Sandy) because I fake "cream" soup by using potatoes and chicken broth. LOL!

LovesFelix

LovesFelix

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Just go to her Facebook page for a good laugh. She makes the dumbest posts, stupidest questions, then when posters disagree, she bans them or cries poor me and whines. Very childish. When she did the hot dog skewers, I kept thinking why not just use chicken???? Just too many chemicals in her recipes.

jbethea

jbethea

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

I finally got a chance to watch the iCarly links. That is so bizarre. Is the implication supposed to be that iCarly or her fans are looking at Hungry Girl online? A little cross promotion or an attempt to pull these girls' mothers into the Hungry Girl website? Since it's such a quick glimpse, I'd bet it's more planting a seed of recognition in the viewer's mind so, if and when they see the actual Hungry Girl logo, there's a feeling of recognition, even if it's just subconscious. Subliminial advertising may or may not be a complete waste of time, but if it had been definitively proven not to work, advertisers wouldn't still be doing it.

I don't know. I was still disturbed after I posted the links and looked around a little. Wikipedia's entry on Hungry Girl says "Hungry Girl has been product placed in several Nickelodeon shows, such as Drake and Josh and iCarly. (Lillien is married to TV producer Dan Schneider[4], creator and head writer of both those shows.) iCarly actor Jerry Trainor has also appeared in the webseries."

So...product placement? If I'm in a generous mood I like to think it was just an innocent thing, like Dan Schneider winking at his wife or something. But it's all just weird.

the more you hear about Dan Schneider, the creepier it gets.

http://ohnotheydidnt...m/67283281.html

hippobean

hippobean

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I tuned in hoping to see real food ... I think she has a pretty spunky personality and a good idea of substituting, but gosh, I'd rather have the extra calories and fat as opposed to the artificial sweeteners and chemicals galore. I'll take my chances with higher faat/calorie *real* foods than the chemistry experiment that many of those 'substitutes" are chock full of.

wideright

wideright

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

oh my, I just linked to that Nate Berkus show website - the fettucini alfredo is made from laughing cow wedges and tofu noodles? For the love of all that is holy.....

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

the fettucini alfredo is made from laughing cow wedges and tofu noodles? For the love of all that is holy.....

Yes, this now constitutes a recipe on the Food Network. Don't miss her Lean-O Cioppino...

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

What? You don't think opening a bunch of cans and pouring them together constitutes cooking? Hungry Girl is like a diet version of Sandra Lee, with more chemicals and artificial sweetener.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I caught the "lazy food makeover" ep by accident today. I was surprirsed she's still on the air, actually. I got a good laugh when she claimed "Floozy"(?)'s stuffed cabbage recipe called for seven(!) cans of cranberry sauce, because, seriously, that sounds nasty!

wideright

wideright

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

What is with all the fat free? One would think these were reruns from the 1990's. She had a recipe the other day that was fat free pudding, fat free cool whip, and nilla wafers. How is this a recipe? And why does it need to be fat free?

LovesFelix

LovesFelix

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

No new shows for awhile. Maybe they aren't renewing her contract??? One can only hope.Saw the show with the spaghetti tacos again, it was SO awkward. I saw Calorie Count's website is posting her recipes. Not going too well for her over there.

Edited by LovesFelix, Jul 7, 2012 @ 10:32 AM.

druish princess

druish princess

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

What is with all the fat free? One would think these were reruns from the 1990's. She had a recipe the other day that was fat free pudding, fat free cool whip, and nilla wafers. How is this a recipe? And why does it need to be fat free?

This. It is like she never got over Snackwells going away. The show should have been a two minute commercial telling us to buy fat free versions of everything when we cook. I don't need someone to tell me that fat free hotdogs (OMG...) has less fat than regular. I cannot imagine a doctor getting behind a diet that is 90% chemicals. The lettuce leaf in her GMO soy patty does not count as produce.

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

Does anyone know if this show has been canceled or if it's coming back?

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

I believe that the majority of people who post here would hope for the former.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

Here's hoping this mess fades away into oblivion. The world does not need any more HG episodes.

LovesFelix

LovesFelix

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Here's hoping some of those stupid words fade away into oblivion too. Ginormous. @@ And please quit telling your food you love it. That is so stupid.

LovesFelix

LovesFelix

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

End of October and no new shows. hmmmmmmmmm what is going on? I guess I have to rag on The Pioneer Woman some more.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

End of October and no new shows. hmmmmmmmmm what is going on?

Proof positive that there is in fact a god?

Edited by Leshyn63, Oct 27, 2012 @ 10:01 PM.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

I strongly suspect she has killed all of her fans. They have died of malnutrition. At least they died skinny, though.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Two seasons and she fades into oblivion. Good choice, FN and CC. There are only so many fat-free and sugar-free products out there and HG has already used them all.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Cooking Channel is still showing reruns on Thursday mornings at 5:30 (PDT). I stumbled into it by accident last week while not yet fully awake & quickly switched to news of fresh disasters on CNN, which was more soothing.

LovesFelix

LovesFelix

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Hmmm, still no new shows. Maybe she'll stick to book signing and getting more books out. Due in 2013, Hungry Girl, 5,323,987 new recipes with even newer chemicals.

druish princess

druish princess

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

Her husband's twitter account is viewed by thousands of pre-teen and teen girls as he is the creator of Icarly, Victorious, and other Nick shows, 99 percent of his tweets are to these young people who watch these shows, it is definitely a promotional account versus one that would go to friends and family. I am disgusted that he outright tweeted to his followers to check out the  Hungry Girl website, which is about eating as little as possible. Calling it a diet blog is being generous, as the main focus is to eat as much for as little calories as possible. This makes me sick because he has been accused of promoting her on his shows (which I never really saw) and they both denied this, but I guess they want to make even more money. I am completely done with her.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

he has been accused of promoting her on his shows (which I never really saw)

I watched his show Victorious (which I'm too old for, but it was actually a pretty funny show) anyway, In one scene, a big ass poster for her show can be seen on the side of a building in the background, then in another scene, the main character is watching t.v and changes the channel to...Hungry Girl.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

he outright tweeted to his followers to check out the  Hungry Girl website, which is about eating as little as possible. Calling it a diet blog is being generous, as the main focus is to eat as much for as little calories as possible.

Wow, I hadn't thought about this show in a long time. The website makes it look like the show is still a going concern on TV but it's just the reruns, right? There was one season on FN and one season on CC and now they run them ad nauseam? 

I agree, the diet tips on the website are pretty scary. 

tahitigirl

tahitigirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 6:51 PM

She's on FN on Wednesday mornings at 10:30 (at least in my time zone)...all reruns. She has a huge Facebook presence and a daily email newsletter.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Oh, please no more Hungry Girl. I imagine she was taken down by a sugar substitute packet avalanche never to be seen again.