1-5: "I'm Here" 2011.02.09

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

34 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2011 @ 11:01 AM

THE DOCTORS ARE FORCED TO TREAT A PATIENT
UNDERWATER, ON ABC'S "OFF THE MAP"

"I'm Here" - When a scuba diving trip goes wrong, Ryan, Ben, Tommy and Mina race to save their patient underwater, while a flame from Zee's past returns to the clinic for an unconventional treatment, on "Off the Map," WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Off the Map" stars Jonathan Castellanos as Charlie, Valerie Cruz as Zitajalehrena Alvarez (Zee), Caroline Dhavernas as Lily Brenner, Jason George as Otis Cole, Zach Gilford as Tommy Fuller, Mamie Gummer as Mina Minard, Martin Henderson as Ben Keeton and Rachelle Lefevre as Ryan Clark.

Guest starring Jonathan Cake as Angus Sinclair, Nicolas Gonzalez as Mateo, Aimee Garcia as Alma, Tim Guinee as Nick and Bailey Nobles as Francesca.

"I'm Here" is written by Mark Fish and directed by Randy Zisk.

"Off the Map" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format with a 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-14,D,L,V parental guideline.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2011 @ 11:55 PM

So Ryan is basically Satine from Moulin Rouge? She is dying of consumption, but won't tell anyone. This is an odd choice for a doctor.

I would have been all over that Scottish guy. She must be crazy.

surfer

surfer

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 12:36 AM

The show brought the pretty this week with Jonathan Cake and Nicholas Gonzalez.

Good episode. I was pleasantly surprised, given all of the blood, that they avoided bringing a shark into the mix during the ocean rescue since that's what I would've expected from this show. But what exactly did Ben use to perform the amputation? A sharp wire or something?

I'm kind of intrigued by Otis/Mina. I know they hinted at it last week, but I would not have predicted those two possibly getting together.

On the other hand Ben is still making googly eyes at Lily, who remains my least favorite character. I guess if Lily isn't pining for Ben one week, it's going to be the other way around the next week. Too bad it got annoying week one.

Edited by surfer, Feb 10, 2011 @ 12:37 AM.

lillipad

lillipad

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 1:43 AM

How is "I'm here" all that comforting a message? She had to know he hadn't gone back to hotel for a drink. "I love you" or "Be strong" or "You'll be out of this soon" would all be better messages. Though, of course, they wouldn't tie into the doctor's personal stories.

Aw! Keaton was jealous! How cute?

Comsumption would be good. It's tv so my mind went straight to Ryan being knocked up. Though I really, really don't want that storyline.

It looked like a garrote that he used to cut off the leg. I'm not sure how that would work. I'm guessing they took it off at the knee so they didn't have to cut through bone? Gruesome! I've never felt the urge to scuba dive, but I definitely wouldn't go into an underground cave.

Mina and Cole are fast becoming my favorites, both as seperate characters and as a potential romance.

When exactly did Tommy go from cruise ship girls in the shower to a vow of celibacy? I know Alma has cast her spell on him, but that was quite the turn around. Though it took about the same about of time for Zee and Cole to flame out.

I was surprised that all medical emergencies had been introduced and basically taken care of in the first half hour. I noticed the clock and assumed we were in for another dire situation, but I guess this is a show that is about the social lives of the characters not the medical cases. I must be too used to crime shows where all the big reveals happen close to the end of the episode.

Edited by lillipad, Feb 10, 2011 @ 12:55 PM.

BoobTubeJunkie

BoobTubeJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 2:17 AM

I was pleasantly surprised, given all of the blood, that they avoided bringing a shark into the mix during the ocean rescue since that's what I would've expected from this show.

I was sure that was where they were going with it when the camera focused on the ribbons of blood floating away. I kept waiting for one to pop up even after they surfaced. And then when Ryan was so slow climbing out of the water, I kept waiting for the "shock" of the shark grabbing her (but only an injury, not a death grab). So it was definitely more shocking to me that they managed to restrain themselves and not go that route.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 10:11 AM

I think the show would be better if they just left the medical stories out. Just make it beautiful people frolicking on a beach and flirting with each other.

I don't really get the guy doctor's issue. I thought most men over age 20 don't talk to their parents for a year at a time.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 12:55 PM

Not a bad episode - for this show. What exactly is supposed to be wrong with Ryan though? Are they going to kill her off so she won't be in the way of Lily and Ben? I actually found the underwater scenes rather compelling. The dialogue-free reaction of the girl realizing they were going to cut off her leg was gruesome and kind of heartbreaking. How awful.

The doctors should be spending all their free time brushing up on their Spanish, not playing beach soccer. Especially Tommy. The part with Lily's broken sunglasses was kind of funny but you know what? The "funny" parts are at such odds with the dramatic parts they really don't fit. It's hard to go from someone having to have an emergency amputation to cute banter between the young doctors or vice versa.

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, vacations, all things Irish, ice cream, music, knitting, laughing with friends, baseball (Go Sox!), food, sleep, shopping, movies and TV

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 1:37 PM

I thought most men over age 20 don't talk to their parents for a year at a time.

None of the men I know. That's just sad.

I totally thought they were going to go the route of a shark attack too, and given the ridiculous nature of some of the past medical emergencies on this show, I was pleasantly surprised it didn't happen.

Edited by Ireland77, Feb 10, 2011 @ 1:39 PM.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 2:24 PM

I don't really get the guy doctor's issue. I thought most men over age 20 don't talk to their parents for a year at a time.

I don't think they know where he is though. I remember he said some time back that his family has no idea he's in South America.

He's also given off the impression that his parents are embarrassed by him (okay, their being embarrassed by his being a plastic surgeon struck me as incredibly odd especially since he's the only one of the 3 who makes good sound decisions as a medical practitioner -- anyone who gets treated by him under his actual direction seems to actually live or is able to avoid impotence -- and finished residency but maybe the parents are anti-material, anti-commercial leftists who believes one's job should possess utopian potential? That's the story I'm going with.) Maybe it's because of the way he's playing his storyline or maybe I think he's a sincere actor, but his issue strikes me as the most real out of the three doctors. I could actually see some dude whose parents are embarrassed by him going down to South America to somehow make them proud.

I think I like the actress playing Mina simply because she's Meryl Streep's daughter. Really, I think she reminds me so much of Meryl (similar face, same mannerisms, same voice, same way of delivering a line) that I like her simply just for that. But I can't get a grip on that character's issues since she seems to be annoyed with South America and she makes the weirdest analogies between her and Nazis. And the one with the dead fiance who has googly eyes for Ben....I'm not even sure why she's there except to stalk the guy who might have looked hot on the cover of his book. (I realize that you can go to South America without any emotional damage as your issue, but these people talk about their issues a lot.)

Edited by DS1, Feb 10, 2011 @ 3:54 PM.

frk

frk

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 3:42 PM

I like this show! It's silly and obvious and yet I find myself looking forward to the next episode...

I don't know if it's because I relate to the young gilr but the fact that she had to be the one consoling her father (who was about to leave her there and go back to the hotel because she was upset over loosing a leg!) and reach out to him really bugged me. Take some responsibilities for how you chose to live your life.

The fact that we didn't get a shark attack surprised me too. no matter how sad and gruesome the underwater scene was supposed to be I couldn't keep from giggling at their squished up faces behind the goggles... totally ruined the moment.
Clarke is the most anonymous of the docs so for her to actually get a storyline of her own could be quite good. as long as she's not pregnant. that will just ruin too much.

Matteo was hot! Never liked him as the creepy pool dude, but as a potentially bad guy? oh, yeah. Hope he'll be back soon. :)

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

In some ways, I think that this episode was better. The amputation scene was so gory I had to look away, but I don't believe that the girl would have been healthy enough to be wheeling herself around and unwrapping her stump only a couple of hours after having her leg cut off. It takes more time than that for most people to feel okay after a broken leg, let alone a leg-ectomy.

Matteo continues to be yummier than Doctor Ben. Toledo is classy. Mini-Meryl improves when she's not around Nazis.

Tommy needs to stop telling everyone about his parents not liking him. Yes, it's very sad. Perhaps if you want them to like you, talking to them once in a while might help. People don't like people who don't communicate.

Having said that it was better this week, I don't think anyone much is still watching this show, so it probably won't have made any difference.

Ryan can't be dying of consumption, since that was usually just TB, and we saw in the first episode that they have meds for that (the sad guy with the sick kids & dead wife).
Plus, she's still kissing Doctor Ben on the mouth, so it's not contagious.

So it probably has to be something much worse. Didn't she say she moved around a bunch of poor countries a lot as a kid? It's either some exotic and deadly lung plague that only affects people with really great hair, or she used to live next to an asbestos plant.

How long before she shares her tragic secret with Lily and makes her promise not to tell Doctor Ben, so that when she dies, it will be Lily's fault that he never treated her right before the big goodbye? 3... 2... 1...

OLynn

OLynn

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 7:37 PM

he's the only one of the 3 who makes good sound decisions as a medical practitioner -

I was thinking the exact same thing last night. For a plastic surgeon, and no disrespect intended, this guy seems like the real deal doctor wise. I like him, and I so rolled my eyes when we first met him because I thought this would be character that's going to annoy the hell out of me.

I liked the scene with Mina talking to "the hat." I can relate to what she was saying and I too like the actress. I also like Zee and thought the last scene with larvae guy was pretty hot.

So I guess what I'm saying is I actually enjoyed this episode quite a bit. This show seems to be winning me over. I had been flipping to Blue Bloods but I think I'm in now, for as long as it lasts....

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

I just got a chance to watch this episode and I have to say, during the amputee girl's rant to her dad - I don't think uncontrollable laughter was the reaction the show was going for from their audience when the girl yelled, "THERE, I looked at my stupid stump! Just don't make me look at him!"

Because oh, I laaaughed. [/mean]

What's wrong with Ryan?! She's one of the few characters I actually like on this show, so they better not kill her off.

Ryan can't be dying of consumption, since that was usually just TB, and we saw in the first episode that they have meds for that (the sad guy with the sick kids & dead wife).
Plus, she's still kissing Doctor Ben on the mouth, so it's not contagious.

Hmm, very good point. When Ben left her in the hospital, she looked - resigned. I got the sense she knows what's going on with her, but doesn't want to share because she knows he wouldn't stick around for whatever it is anyway.

Mini-Meryl improves when she's not around Nazis.

HA! True. I didn't hate her quite as much, and I did like that she tried to help the dad not be so cold.

I'm already tired of Ben and Lilly's mopey back and forths though.

kbilly

kbilly

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

It's either some exotic and deadly lung plague that only affects people with really great hair, or she used to live next to an asbestos plant.

I concur. heehee.

I thought it was suuuper cheesy when Matteo turned back to dramatically kiss Lily, "That's goodbye" Oh geez. Parasites like bacon....ewwwwww!

I will continue watching because Ben looks like a brunette Sawyer and I need a fix.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 2:00 AM

The dialogue on this show continues to be so incredibly painfully bad. And the worst part is you can see it coming. You know what is going to come out of everyone's mouth because it is so predictable.

I thought the girl actress was particularly bad. At least Grey's has always done a stellar job of casting guest stars. This chick could not act.

But, I still love me some Martin Henderson so I stay with it. I do wish they'd stop dancing around the Ben, Lily, Ryan triangle and just do something. I am not on board with a Ben/Lily romance, but you know something is going to happen so I wish they'd just pull the bandaid off already.

Myriade37

Myriade37

Just Tuned In

• Interests:Way too much TV, science, books, litterature, cooking, traveling and watching some more TV

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

Ok, to make some stuff clear:

Consumption = TB or tuberculosis. I am pretty sure Ryan has TB: she had the symptoms, took care of people with TB and it can happen.

Second: Yes, TB is contagious, but not everyone in contact with TB will contract it. And it's totally possible that you are having sex with someone, kissing him and not giving him TB.

Finally: you can cure TB, depending on the strain and the medications available. It only takes a long time to get better.

By the way Ryan looked at the end of the episode, I am pretty sure she knows she has TB. She just does not want to tell other people yet. My guess: she does not want to make Ben worry or anything.

LottaMoxie

LottaMoxie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 1:50 PM

I will continue watching because Ben looks like a brunette Sawyer and I need a fix.

hi five!

My reason exactly. In fact, if they put some golden highlights in his hair, he'd look like Sawyer's brother. (note to ABC makeup dept: do that STAT).

jopatura

jopatura

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

He's also given off the impression that his parents are embarrassed by him (okay, their being embarrassed by his being a plastic surgeon struck me as incredibly odd especially since he's the only one of the 3 who makes good sound decisions as a medical practitioner -- anyone who gets treated by him under his actual direction seems to actually live or is able to avoid impotence -- and finished residency but maybe the parents are anti-material, anti-commercial leftists who believes one's job should possess utopian potential? That's the story I'm going with.) Maybe it's because of the way he's playing his storyline or maybe I think he's a sincere actor, but his issue strikes me as the most real out of the three doctors. I could actually see some dude whose parents are embarrassed by him going down to South America to somehow make them proud.

I thought it was alluded to in the premiere that he lived his life as a blow-off party boy and only passed his classes by the skin of his teeth. That his parents were embarrassed that he wasn't more with what he had.

Isn't TB an illness where it's not ethical to practice medicine once you've had it since you can't totally get rid of it for several years and there's always a chance of passing it along? Or am I thinking of something else similar? Could be why Ryan is dodging the issue.

Edited by jopatura, Feb 11, 2011 @ 2:53 PM.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

I thought it was alluded to in the premiere that he lived his life as a blow-off party boy and only passed his classes by the skin of his teeth. That his parents were embarrassed that he wasn't more with what he had.

Oh, maybe that was what it was.

Still, I always think of that quote whenever I see any doctor: "Who do you call the person who graduates at the bottom of his class in medical school? Doctor."

If he completed his residency, which would ultimately, more than anything else, determine whether he can actually practice as a doctor, then in the end, I'm not sure his marks would matter now. If he got through his residency, then on some level, he's met the necessary expectations to actually be whatever it is his parents wanted him to be.

Mina looks like she may have graduated at the top of the class, but what's the point, if she didn't complete her residency? She now has no way of working in the United States. As such, it seems she now feels the only way she can apply her non-existent skills is to hunt down Nazis she isn't sure are really Nazis.

Edited by DS1, Feb 12, 2011 @ 2:12 PM.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

I'm already tired of Ben and Lilly's mopey back and forths though.

You lasted longer than me. I was bored with it by the end of the second episode.

THIS.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 3:45 PM

Portland Girl- You thought amputee girl couldn't act? There may not be many pretty young amputees out there at the casting calls.

Myriade37

Myriade37

Just Tuned In

• Interests:Way too much TV, science, books, litterature, cooking, traveling and watching some more TV

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

Isn't TB an illness where it's not ethical to practice medicine once you've had it since you can't totally get rid of it for several years and there's always a chance of passing it along? Or am I thinking of something else similar? Could be why Ryan is dodging the issue

Well, if you have active TB, it's true there is a problem practicing medicine. However, if you are cured from it (X-ray are clear), then, from what I know, you are allowed to practice medicine.

1/3 of the world is infected with TB, so it's kind of common...

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 4:54 PM

There may not be many pretty young amputees out there at the casting calls.

I'm not saying that the actress not an amputee - a lot of people are - but I think it's unlikely.
And there's no reason why they had to hire an amputee. It's a pretty simple CGI job to take off the legs or arms of an actor - they've been doing it since Forest Gump.

I love it when they actually hire an actor with a disability for a role where they can play a person with the same issues (or just any role really - there's still not much call for actors who don't look 'average'), but it's still terribly unusual.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 10:36 PM

Just for shits and giggles I looked up the girl that played the amputee. Not much on her, but she is a certified scuba diver. She may be an amputee in real life, but there is nothing to suggest it in her profile. She hasn't had many acting jobs. I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think she was particularly convincing. On the other hand, the writing for her was pretty terrible. But, it doesn't help to have weak actors working with this crappy dialogue.

I actually sort of enjoy the Fab 3 dynamic with plastics, lily and Mina. It seems to be trying for Greys Interns feel, but it sort of works for me.

I am totally on board with a Cole/Mina hookup. I find that way more intriguing that Cole/Zee.

As for Ben, I wanted him to show more actual caring for Ryan and I certainly DIDN'T want to see him looking all pained by the sight of Lily/Mateo.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

I think the guy playing Ben isn't that good of an actor. I understand why he appeals to people, but acting-wise he doesn't do enough with the material given to him. I also thought he was a weak Darcy substitute in Bride and Prejudice.

atruezoo

atruezoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 12:23 AM

This. Plus they film in Hawaii. Mute the insispid dialogue, and you can almost pretend they're pretty people from the second plane. Bonus points if a stray polar bear snags Lily.

I am totally on board with a Cole/Mina hookup. I find that way more intriguing that Cole/Zee.

ITA. Totally on board, until the inevitable triangle.

I like the chemistry among the younger doctors. They're different enough and at least I find them all believable as doctors. Even the Nazi hunter seems competent, once the murderous rages blow over - big step up, from, say, Grey's Izzie.

I actually really enjoyed this episode. No shark jumping onto the boat. No declaration of epic love from Lily's felon. Plastics hasn't proposed to 'Hola, yet. The stories were reasonably believable and wrapped up and the scenery's still gorgeous. I'm still interested in most of the characters, and enjoying their interactions (minus Lily/Ben).

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

So the amputation was CGI? Good for them. I figured any CGI they did would stand out like a sore thumb, given how heavy handed the rest of the show is.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 12:37 PM

I like the chemistry among the younger doctors. They're different enough and at least I find them all believable as doctors. Even the Nazi hunter seems competent, once the murderous rages blow over - big step up, from, say, Grey's Izzie.

Yeah, as dumb as the writing is, I think the actors radiate a certain intelligence. I could believe they might have gone to medical school.

The Lily character is slightly annoying to me, but I think the actress is fine. In her case, I think it's just the writing failing her. But I don't find the actual actress to be incompetent.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

Question: what does Scotsman McHottie say to Zee right before their non-kiss? I just can't make it out... but whatever it is, it's HOT.

ETA: Couldn't agree more about the dynamic of the new docs (+ Charlie) being the best thing about the show so far. My favorite moment of this episode was at the end, in the cantina, when they're all reacting to Plastics turning down Alma. Charlie's "You've got to hit that!" and Lily's appalled reaction, Mina scoffing... they all play really well off each other.

Edited by lemurgrl, Feb 12, 2011 @ 1:29 PM.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 1:35 PM

If he completed his residency, which would ultimately, more than anything else, determine whether he can actually practice as a doctor, then in the end, I'm not sure his marks would matter now. If he got through his residency, then on some level, he's met the necessary expectations to actually be whatever it is his parents wanted him to be.

Plus, plastics is a specialty. So he couldn't have just "skated by" in his residency and specialty.

His back-story doesn't make a lot of sense. Yeah, maybe his parents weren't so "proud" if he was just doing boob jobs, but a plastic surgeon in the family isn't anything to be embarrassed about.

Edited by izabella, Feb 12, 2011 @ 1:35 PM.