1-4: "On the Mean Streets of San Miguel" 2011.02.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

39 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

"On the Mean Streets of San Miguel" - Mina struggles with her own moral code after learning the true identity of her patient, while Lily learns more about Ben's past and is tested on her first trip into the city, on "Off the Map," WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 2 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Off the Map" stars Jonathan Castellanos as Charlie, Valerie Cruz as Zitajalehrena Alvarez (Zee), Caroline Dhavernas as Lily Brenner, Jason George as Otis Cole, Zach Gilford as Tommy Fuller, Mamie Gummer as Mina Minard, Martin Henderson as Ben Keeton and Rachelle Lefevre as Ryan Clark.

Guest starring Ralph White as Abuelito, Nicholas Gonzales as Mateo, Aimee Garcia as Alma, Jaime Zevallos as Elan and Ed Begley Jr. as Hank.

"On the Mean Streets of San Miguel" is written by Christine Boylan and directed by Eric Stoltz.

"Off the Map" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format with a 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-14,D,L parental guideline.

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 12:12 AM

Well that didn't totally suck or at least it didn't suck as much as last week.

lillipad

lillipad

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 12:44 AM

I'm glad that some of the sanctimony is dying down as the older doctors get to know the new doctors. Though Ryan is starting to bug me. Is she supposed to be pissy and abrasive? Are we supposed to feel bad for her? Because all the good will I had toward her after last week is gone and into the negative right now.

So what else was Lily supposed to do to get the mail? And now Keaton is annoyed that he has to fix it even though he knew it would be a problem and did nothing to stop it or tell her how to avoid it?

I enjoyed the episode but as I sit here and think about it, I'm starting to get annoyed. The new doctors are still the most interesting for me. Mina is becoming my favorite, though Zach is always a pleasure, and Lily and Charlie were great. And Lily's new guy is hot!

Are there supposed to be sort-of sparks between Cole and Mina? I thought I saw some in the tooth pulling scene, but it could have just been meant as Mina-learns-empathy moment.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 2:29 AM

Wow, that was actually pretty good. Nothing really major bugged me and I was a pretty entertained for the full hour.

Lily was a thousand times less annoying this episode and I think it was because they weren't hitting us over the head with her perfection. I am also glad they seem to be slowing the Ben/Lily romantic pairing. Maybe it will happen eventually, but for once, it didn't seem like an inevitability.

Mina's patient storyline was a little over the top. Her rabidness to treat him and make him pay for his wrong doings was a touch on the shrill side. I didn't mind Ryan pushing back on her.

I actually liked the way the comatose wife was handled. I wasn't exactly expecting him to admit they are keeping her alive so he can collect her trust money. I still wonder and pretty much expect that she will wake up at some point (if the show isn't cancelled).

Charlie is a cute kid and a good addition to the show.

Cole kind of bugs me. We get it. HE HAS AN ADDICTION. I love how they had Mina explain to us stupid viewers that the reason Cole didn't want the dental drugs is not because he is afraid of the surgery, but is afraid of the drugs. I also HATE the way he constantly calls Zee "woman."

I didn't mind Ryan's pissyness. I guess I am hoping they show more of the Ben/Ryan pairing and why it is so off and on. I really hope this show doesn't go down the typical Shonda Rhimes road of constant love triangles. That gets old fast. I am not the least bit interested in a Ben/Lily/Ryan showdown. For one, it makes Keaton seem like an abusive ass because he has all the power. People will sour on his character really quick if they do that.

Gee, now I am kind of hoping they don't cancel this.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 6:00 AM

Lily was a thousand times less annoying this episode and I think it was because they weren't hitting us over the head with her perfection. I am also glad they seem to be slowing the Ben/Lily romantic pairing. Maybe it will happen eventually, but for once, it didn't seem like an inevitability.Mina's patient storyline was a little over the top. Her rabidness to treat him and make him pay for his wrong doings was a touch on the shrill side. I didn't mind Ryan pushing back on her.

Actually I was annoyed by it early on. Why did she pull that whole, "so how long have you and Ryan been dating" thing out before the trip. Very juvenile imho, but I enjoyed Ben's shocked response and overall annoyance at Mary Sue trying to make him into some hero and trying to make him feel guilty.

I did not get Mina's storyline and thought it was weak... I mean when you have to go to Nazi's to get your story - you are out of ideas - and I was annoyed at Mina... talk about Judge and Jury.. you have no idea what he was babbling about under drugs and no idea if he was some culpable Nazi or some smuck kid. So she is going to use her doctor status to torture possible Nazi's because she killed someone? Geeze maybe she shouldn't be a doctor.

Plastics was the problem this week though. I don't know why he is obsessed with bar lady all the sudden but he really seemed shallow and I enjoyed Zee yelling at him that he knew nothing and maybe that is why he liked her so much. So is he putting a good lay ahead of his patient? That all disturbed me. I felt like yelling at Plastics' if you were suffering from a spider bite and were in that predicament lets see how cheerful you are? Oh so that guy is a baddy because he is suffering and in great pain and embarrassed .... yeh lock him up right now.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 11:37 AM

Actually I was annoyed by it early on. Why did she pull that whole, "so how long have you and Ryan been dating" thing out before the trip. Very juvenile imho, but I enjoyed Ben's shocked response and overall annoyance at Mary Sue trying to make him into some hero and trying to make him feel guilty.

I did not get Mina's storyline and thought it was weak... I mean when you have to go to Nazi's to get your story - you are out of ideas - and I was annoyed at Mina... talk about Judge and Jury.. you have no idea what he was babbling about under drugs and no idea if he was some culpable Nazi or some smuck kid. So she is going to use her doctor status to torture possible Nazi's because she killed someone? Geeze maybe she shouldn't be a doctor.

Plastics was the problem this week though. I don't know why he is obsessed with bar lady all the sudden but he really seemed shallow and I enjoyed Zee yelling at him that he knew nothing and maybe that is why he liked her so much. So is he putting a good lay ahead of his patient? That all disturbed me. I felt like yelling at Plastics' if you were suffering from a spider bite and were in that predicament lets see how cheerful you are? Oh so that guy is a baddy because he is suffering and in great pain and embarrassed .... yeh lock him up right now.

Yeah, I found problems with the episode because of all these same reasons.

Generally, I can go with the flow with most shows, but a lot of questions pop up when I watch this one.

I do really like Tommy/Matt/Zach's smile though.

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 2:55 PM

The young doctors bothered me so much last night. Lily getting upset when she saw Ben with Ryan and then asking him about it like she was pretending not to be bitter was just super annoying. I did like the 'Goodbye, Dr. Keeton' at the end because quite frankly I feel like the chemistry is better with Ben/Ryan than this forced thing with Lily they've been working on.

That having been said, I'm surprised they revealed that Ben's comatose wife's money is bankrolling the clinic. It seems super douchealicious on Ben's part, but then again, if it's something both of them believed in I could give him a pass. I am actually more interested in learning more about that background than I am anything else right now.

Plastics got on my nerves, he started calling his patient a douche from the getgo--he didn't even KNOW the guy or how he was feeling. He left a bad taste in my mouth with that and begging the bar girl to give him a chance. And we get it, he doesn't speak Spanish, the more they show it the more lame he gets. At least he's learned about five words.

Mina and the nazi plot, well that was just over the top for me. I actually think Mina was my favorite of the newbies but her comparing a mistake she made (a child she treated dying) to a Nazi officer fleeing to South America just made me roll my eyes so hard. She said "I could've run, but I didn't", but gee, Mina, the consequences for what you did and what he did aren't quite the same, are they? Get serious.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 4:29 PM

I agree with all of you - everyone except Zee, Charlie and Ryan annoyed me this episode.

Doctor Ben just stands there. He's very pretty, but just seems emotionless and empty. Okay, he's depressed, but there should be something going on and there just isn't.

Tommy annoyed me, not just with how he was treating his patient, but also with his 'if she was my girlfriend, she wouldn't have to work in a bar' lines. It's not like she's a striper, and it looks like a nice bar. Come on Tommy, what would she be doing instead - cooking for you and ironing your shirts? You're only in the jungle, not 1955. So it was nice to see him get yelled at.

Lily continues to annoy. One of these episodes, she's not going to go on an expedition with Ben, and the audience will die of shock.

Mina's storyline was kind of ripped from the Weekly World News - sure, you only have to spend five minutes 'somewhere in South America' before you're falling over Nazis. Everyone knows that the continent is crawling with them. And she didn't really know anything about the guy. He could have been quoting lines from a book he'd been reading.

Okay, maybe he did do something dreadful - and I think most people would want him to pay. But he's not even going to live to stand trial (like they'd try someone that sick anyway - waste of money and time).

Her watching him, making him suffer and talking breezily while he gurgled and gasped just seemed kind of reminiscent of the sort of nasty medical experiments that Nazi doctors liked to do. First do no harm, my ass. You're supposed to be better than the Nazi.
It was just such a stupid story on every level.

Otis seems to be an asshat, too - you'd think that he might have noticed, after it was so difficult to get Zee to go out with him, that it wasn't just sex she was after.

And lastly - Tommy's Spanish-speaking patient yelling at his non-English-speaking girlfriend in English was laugh out loud funny. I'm sure that when we get really angry, we all yell orders at family and friends in languages that they don't understand. Because that makes sense!

About as much sense as anything else in this show.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 4:57 PM

Mina wanting to turn in the Nazi actually would have made more sense if she were Jewish, or gay, or something else the Nazis persecuted. Having it turn out to be all about her made the story that much worse IMO.

One thing I wasn't clear on - when Lily asked whether Ryan knew Ben's wife was still alive he said "I'm not that stupid" or something. Does that mean Ryan does know or that she doesn't?

They did the "erection guy" storyline on Greys already, several years ago.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 6:39 PM

Are there supposed to be sort-of sparks between Cole and Mina?

I've been seeing it for the past couple eps. I'm curious if TIIC will adjust to the natural chemistry they seem to have or will continue with the pre-planned Cole/Zee ship. I'd be down with a Cole/Mina coupling.

Mina wanting to turn in the Nazi actually would have made more sense if she were Jewish, or gay, or something else the Nazis persecuted. Having it turn out to be all about her made the story that much worse IMO.

I actually liked that she wasn't Jewish or gay or in any way persecuted because I'm a waspy type and I am disgusted by the Nazi's. I was so glad that for once someone was disgusted by it who wouldn't have been a victim of them. But then they had to have it be about her killing that kid? Seriously? Really? That was god-awful. Way to ruin was was potentially almost an interesting storyline show.

the Tommy storyline was non-existant for me. Don't really care about his crush on bar chick.

Lily Sue was less annoying only in that I have stopped watching her scenes. I know that the actress is beloved, but I'm not feeling it. I've seen her guest in other stuff and thought she was good, but she's not good enough to make this crap work.

I quite like that Ben is using his not quite dead wife for her trust fund. It gives him an edge. And I love that he gave Lily Sue the smack down about thinking he was some kind of saint sitting vigil at his wife's bedside.

when Lily asked whether Ryan knew Ben's wife was still alive he said "I'm not that stupid" or something. Does that mean Ryan does know or that she doesn't?

I'm going to take it as a little smack down to Lily Sue because Lily Sue supposedly read all about Dr. Hot Humanitarian and didn't realize he had a comatose wife.

The ep wasn't horrible which is good for this show.

atruezoo

atruezoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 6:53 PM

As stupid as this show is, I'm enjoying it way more then Grey's. At least the scenery's better.

That having been said, I'm surprised they revealed that Ben's comatose wife's money is bankrolling the clinic. It seems super douchealicious on Ben's part, but then again, if it's something both of them believed in I could give him a pass.

I loved this part. I feared he'd be a McDreamy 2.0 "walks on water and you all must worship him" type, and he's not. ITA he's got great chemistry with the red head, too. If they keep insipid Lily Sue away from them, they could be interesting. I'd like to know more about both of them and their on-again-off -again and the wife situation.

The Nazi story was all kinds of stupid, and Mina's a judgmental, self-absorbed loon - not an easy combination, LOL - but her and Cole are funny together. The inevitable Zee/Cole/Mina triangle probably looms.

I didn't watch all that closely, but it's pretty people in a pretty place and the acting is good even if the writing's silly. I'm not even annoyed by most of the characters (except Lily, who is a horrific April/Lexi fusion). Maybe it's just because there are a manageable number of them, but I'm still finding this show much more entertaining then Grey's at the moment.

I also like that they're showing everybody - not just focusing on Lily Sue or Cole or whoever - and that the new docs are still adjusting to the clinic. I actually find alot of their struggles believable given what they've shown of the characters so far - e.g. how rigid Mina has been all along, and then her OTT Nazi reaction this week. That was actually in character for her, so, as annoying as it was, I bought it. So, yeah, pretty people, pretty place, reasonably entertaining. That's the most I'd ever expect in Shondaland.

Edited by atruezoo, Feb 3, 2011 @ 6:57 PM.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 7:27 PM

Her watching him, making him suffer and talking breezily while he gurgled and gasped just seemed kind of reminiscent of the sort of nasty medical experiments that Nazi doctors liked to do.

That's actually a pretty sharp observation, Lebanna... too bad there's not a chance in hell that it was actually an intentional image.

I hate that this show continues to chip away at my Caroline Dhavernas love... the only time I liked her in this episode was when she was yelling at the customs guy and a little Jaye came through for a minute.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 7:44 PM

Would the Nazi guy have necessarily been a Nazi officer by choice?

Granted my knowledge is limited in this area, but I was under the impression that some people were forced into the Nazi army and not necessarily there because they wanted to be. I'll concede I could be wrong though since, again, my knowledge is very limited here.

But IF it was the case that some people were forced into the Nazi army, then I wasn't sure how the blonde doctor could be so certain about whether and how to try him.

And, yeah, I didn't understand the analogy between his situation and hers.

Edited by DS1, Feb 3, 2011 @ 9:23 PM.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 8:57 PM

And lastly - Tommy's Spanish-speaking patient yelling at his non-English-speaking girlfriend in English was laugh out loud funny. I'm sure that when we get really angry, we all yell orders at family and friends in languages that they don't understand. Because that makes sense!

I noticed this in the last episode too but I think that perhaps it is a plot device, if the Spanish speakers just talk in Spanish we won't understand what they are saying so I think they have the Spanish for like the first line and then English for the rest, but only so the audience can understand, I am not sure the characters are actually speaking English.

But IF it was the case that some people were forced into the Nazi army, then I wasn't sure how the blonde doctor could be so certain about whether and how to try him.

That was what bothered me the most. It was wayyy too snap judgment, perhaps for the plot, but not a moment of thought that maybe someone who immigrated from Hungry in the 1940's could be anything less than a Hitler wanna be. And no concern for the 60 + years of apparent good works. Mina, someone who could take that kind of jump and then meter out her own punishment... concerning. I don't know if I can like her character knowing *that* is in her. Plus I also didn't like that she took time and supplies from a clearly in need clinic to enforce her punishment.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

Tommy's Spanish-speaking patient yelling at his non-English-speaking girlfriend in English was laugh out loud funny. I'm sure that when we get really angry, we all yell orders at family and friends in languages that they don't understand. Because that makes sense!

Ah, yes I was trying to figure out how to explain my confusion with this. The show needs to get its shit together around the whole English/Spanish back and forth. It doesn't work. I would also assume that the newbies would have a learned a few phrases by now after being somewhat immersed in a new environment.

While I thought this episode was much, much better, the writing is still weak.

I liked the Lily goes to San Miguel stuff and actually enjoyed her interactions with Ben because they didn't seem to be laced with knowing looks. I agree it is surprising and refreshing that he isn't McDreamy 2.0. I like that he is flawed and maybe even a touch douchey.

The more I think about it the more I hated the Mina storyline. She does seem a little loony to me. I'm also bugged by her resentment of doing potentially supporting/menial things because SHE'S A DOCTOR!!!!. Again, I wonder why she would be attracted to a third world clinic where she would inevitably be doing a little bit of everything, including grunt work.

I'm still willing to stick with this show but rating don't look good.

LibyoftheEast

LibyoftheEast

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

I noticed this in the last episode too but I think that perhaps it is a plot device, if the Spanish speakers just talk in Spanish we won't understand what they are saying so I think they have the Spanish for like the first line and then English for the rest, but only so the audience can understand, I am not sure the characters are actually speaking English.

Yeah, I noticed that last week too and I was thinking the same thing. I know in all reality that most of the communication with the patients would be done in Spanish, but as a viewer who knows practically no Spanish, I appreciate this device. It really doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 11:08 AM

The Nazi story was all kinds of stupid, and Mina's a judgmental, self-absorbed loon - not an easy combination, LOL -

Ah, but the Grey's writing staff have experience creating the Platonic ideal of such characters in Izzie Stevens.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

Again, I wonder why she would be attracted to a third world clinic where she would inevitably be doing a little bit of everything, including grunt work.

I get the impression she didn't exactly want to work there but it was the only place that would take her after she killed that boy. Both her and Lily Sue didn't finish their residencies IIRC. I think Tommy did, right? So I'm pretty sure it was slim pickings for Mina and Lily Sue. Not sure why Tommy is there. I'm guessing it's his way of showing his family that he is a doctor who saves lives as pto just a plastic surgeon.

but not a moment of thought that maybe someone who immigrated from Hungry in the 1940's could be anything less than a Hitler wanna be.

That really bothered me. At least when a Nazi hit Seattle Grace he had a big ass swastica on his stomach to easily identify his affiliation. But because this guy was in South America and came from Hungry in the 40s, yep, Nazi!

The thing that bugs me most isn't that she jumped to the conclusion that he was a Nazi. A lot of people jump to conclusions based on little info. It's the fact that she acted on it without really getting more information and used her position as a doctor to punish him. I'm not a fan of people (or characters) who appoint themselves judge and jury over others.

LoveTheRed

LoveTheRed

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

but not a moment of thought that maybe someone who immigrated from Hungry in the 1940's could be anything less than a Hitler wanna be.

The German armed forces during WWII were constituted by the traditional branches (Army, Navy and Air Force) and a 4th branch, the Waffen-SS.

In the traditional branches the lower ranks where drafted from German Nationals and the officers came from military academies that were in place before the Nazis came to power. Those people weren't necessarily Nazi fanatics.

With the Waffen-SS the story is different. It was the Nazi party's private army. It was started even before they reached power and you had to be a member of the Nazi party to belong to it. It had it's own officer training program. It also accepted foreign volunteers. A foreign volunteer would have been someone that identified with the Nazi ideology first, and would like to contribute to implement it.

Someone from Hungary, and a Nazi would have been Waffen-SS, a volunteer before 1943. People drafted in to the Waffen-SS, after 1943, where not automatically considered members of a criminal organization, unlike the other members. So if the guy had to run, he was a volunteer.

Most of the atrocities, and war crimes committed by the German armed forces where committed by the Waffen-SS. For instance they were in charge of the manning of the concentration camps.

Edited by LoveTheRed, Feb 4, 2011 @ 7:04 PM.

mathetria

mathetria

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

The thing that bugs me most isn't that she jumped to the conclusion that he was a Nazi. A lot of people jump to conclusions based on little info. It's the fact that she acted on it without really getting more information and used her position as a doctor to punish him. I'm not a fan of people (or characters) who appoint themselves judge and jury over others.

ITA. If the man has been in SA for that long and has surrounded himself with children who clearly are not blonde haired and blue eyed tells me that the man most likely wasn't a Nazi to his core. Because if he was a Nazi to his core, or didn't became a human over the years of being in SA, he wouldn't be spending him time building relationships with the kids. The fact that he truly loved those children speaks to his character, imho. So who is she to judge? That is not her place. Just like on Grey's Anatomy, they gave just as much attention to operating on the shooter at the school as the students shot. That's how a doctor thinks and behaves.

I have all kinds of love for Zach and to me he will always be Matt Saracen. Best story line would be to move Julie to the jungle so they could live happily ever after. Heck, bring Coach Taylor, Tammi, and Tim Riggins down to the jungle too and I bet the ratings would skyrocket.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Would the Nazi guy have necessarily been a Nazi officer by choice?

They said he was 84. It's 2011. So he would have been 18 in 1945 when the war ended.

Would they really have had 16 and 17 year old officers? I'm thinking no. Foot soldiers sent out to die, sure. Officer in training, maybe. But I doubt he was making decisions and giving orders.

LoveTheRed

LoveTheRed

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

They said he was 84. It's 2011. So he would have been 18 in 1945 when the war ended.

Would they really have had 16 and 17 year old officers? I'm thinking no. Foot soldiers sent out to die, sure. Officer in training, maybe. But I doubt he was making decisions and giving orders.

The guards in the concentration camps weren't all officers and many were convicted of war crimes. Like Irma Grese was not an officer. She joined the Nazi party youth groups as a teen. Was hanged at 22 for war crimes.

He could still have been a full fledged Nazi. They would be accepting very eager 16 year old volunteers in 1943. They were drafting 15 year old boys in 1945.

The real point is, would she know all of this?

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

The real point is, would she know all of this?

Nope. And she didn't care. The fact that the man had been helping kids for 60+ years didn't matter as soon as she guessed he was a Nazi. And that is what bugged me about her. This was, I hope, Mina at her worst. And the worst part was, it wasn't really even about him being a Nazi. It was about her killing some kid by neglect and feeling that gives her the right to fight for justice. Huh?

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 12:36 PM

It was about her killing some kid by neglect and feeling that gives her the right to fight for justice. Huh?

The problem for me is that there was wayyy too little information (as someone pointed out he could have been quoting from a book) and Mina didn't care. Based on only the suggestion of a potential Nazi, by someone drugged up on morphine, she decided she hated him, and decided to torture him with the supplies from the clinic. The story was wayyy over the top and imho made no sense. You would imagine that the clinic would have a ton of people that needed treatment so I can't see addict dr. allowing other patients to wait or supplies to be used to torture nazi guy so he could just die anyway within days to weeks.

There is of course the matter that it did appear, with actual real evidence, that he had been a positive force in South America and perhaps had made amends in the 60+ years he lived in South America.

The excuse that she can be judge and jury because she killed someone by accident... didn't work for me. Frankly I would love it if it turned out Mina was kind of a Dexter and didn't kill by accident back in the states but so far... the stories don't match. So it was jarring and especially jarring that other supposedly normal people were going along with it.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

Frankly I would love it if it turned out Mina was kind of a Dexter and didn't kill by accident back in the states

That would be kind of awesome. And she fled to Generic South American Country (which will suddenly, conveniently have no extradition laws or whatever) to avoid getting caught. Once enough time has passed, she will restart her murderous ways. She's slightly unhinged and her motive is this sense that, because she's a doctor, she's practically god and it is her job to rid the world of such scum as potential former Nazi's.

While I'm at it...

Lily Sue heard about Dr. Ben the Humanitarian, saw a picture of him, then looked at her fiance (not an attractive some time New Zealander) and decided it was time to make a change. She managed to arrange an "accident" and then fled to GSAC to join Ben's team. She was under the assumption that his wife had died (not that she was comotose) and they could bond over their shared loss. Of course, his using his comotose wife for the cash threw quite the wrench in her plan. Oops!

Tommy, who is clearly still supposed to be a bit of a frat boy, knocked up a couple women back home. Not wanting to be financially responsible for a bunch of kids he doesn't know or want, he fakes his own death and flees to GSAC. To protect himself further, he performed plastic surgery on himself and changed his name. Let's see them try to get child support now! Ha!

And of course, Ryan and Ben are responsible for putting his wife in a coma so they could be together without her getting in the way while still living off her trust fund. The clinic is their cover.

Zee and Cole are just the token minorities so they don't get super cool soapy backstories. Instead they are put together to stay out of the way of the far more important characters.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

Cole kind of bugs me. We get it. HE HAS AN ADDICTION. I love how they had Mina explain to us stupid viewers that the reason Cole didn't want the dental drugs is not because he is afraid of the surgery, but is afraid of the drugs.

Do recovering addicts really go so far as to refuse anesthetic or nitrous or whatever to make him unconscious for impacted wisdom tooth surgery? Or was that an over the top thing for the show?

How far would Cole take this? What if he broke his leg? Or needed heart surgery?

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 3:11 PM

Out of sheer boredom, I just finished watching all the episodes on Hulu and I have to say: it's really terrible, but I like it anyway. Sometimes I do this to myself, get addicted to terrible shows for completely inexplicable reasons. Oh well, I'll keep watching till it gets canceled.

Ryan, Tommy and Zee are my favorites, (with Charlie being just fine in my book too) - but I already sort of hate the rest of them. Especially Mina.

I thought Mina was a borderline sociopath previously, with how she seemed to actually ENJOY other's suffering because it gave her something to do. But with this jungle Nazi storyline, I'm convinced of it. She's batshit. Mina is far too self righteous for me to take much of, so if she's sticking around, I hope she gets yelled at and belittled by someone at least once per episode. Or, maybe she'll get one of her beloved infectious diseases and have to be put in permanent quarantine? *fingers crossed*

The excuse that she can be judge and jury because she killed someone by accident... didn't work for me. Frankly I would love it if it turned out Mina was kind of a Dexter and didn't kill by accident back in the states

I love this idea. Love it! Because at this point, she's not even as likable as Dexter to me. A serial killer. Not as likeable as a serial killer. That says a lot. They better do something to make me at least not wish her to rot in the jungle.

Cole had been my least favorite because it seemed like, if he wasn't romancing Zee, he was being irate about something, anything. And that's boring. But he was a little more reasonable with how he dealt with Mina this epi. I actually liked that he said he didn't hand her the scalpel because he was on her side, but because he believes in treating everyone to the best of his ability for as long as possible, regardless of who they are or what they've done.

I was embarrassed for Lily Sue and her not subtle at all jealousy of Ben and Ryan. But really, he's a dog and I think Lily is just too sweet to handle it. I actually prefer the Ryan/Ben dynamic because he's a mess, she knows it, and yet she still puts up with it. I think it's interesting since she seems to be a pretty smart woman otherwise. And I agree with others who've said they have loads of chemistry, while Lily Sue and Ben are definitely missing that.

I haven't watched Grey's since season 2, when everyone suddenly got on my last nerve all the time. And I've never seen a lick of Private Practice, so I didn't really have any feelings one way or another about this show, going in. I do hope, if this show manages to survive, they find a better balance for some of the other main characters. It's bad that roughly 50% of the leads on this show, I already dislike/hate - and we're 4 episodes in.

unfold45

unfold45

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 11:32 PM

I have all kinds of love for Zach and to me he will always be Matt Saracen. Best story line would be to move Julie to the jungle so they could live happily ever after. Heck, bring Coach Taylor, Tammi, and Tim Riggins down to the jungle too and I bet the ratings would skyrocket.

I would totally totally watch this show.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2011 @ 10:59 AM

I didn't quite understand why Lily was surprised that Ben-the-widower (before she found out the wife was on life support) would be in a relationship (of some kind anyway)? He's considered to be a handsome men, and judging from the posts in some of the episode threads is probably considered sexy. So guys like that who can very easily attract women most likely have someone in their lives. I guess he does show some interest in Lily, but not enough for me to think he'd be completely single. Yeah, one can't generalize, but 9 times out of 10 when I've seen someone who would be desired by the majority of the female population, he's with someone. Actually, I'd say 10 out of 10, but I'll try to give some lee-way.

Don't doctors take some kind of oath? I think I've seen this oath discussed on Private Practice a lot. So whether Mina would have liked it or not, I'm assuming she would have had to treat the alleged Nazi guy with the same care as she would have treated anyone else.

Tommy is all kinds of dumb with the bar girl, but I like him anyway.

Edited by DS1, Feb 6, 2011 @ 11:15 AM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Feb 6, 2011 @ 12:17 PM

They take an oath, but they can break it just like people can break any other oath or allegiance for their own reasons. Considering this is someone who was wishing injury or disease on the locals so she would have something to do a couple weeks ago, I think the "first, do no harm" part of that oath flew right by her.