Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

315 replies to this topic

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

This show may be closer to sitcom than candid reality, but I still think it belongs here. There's a Curb Your Enthusiasm vibe to it that makes it seem more staged than Gene Simmons' so-called reality show.

The Swedish nanny is straight out of central casting. Melissa's puffy sweaty boyfriend hasn't done much to endear himself yet. I like their assistant and Cooper seems to have maneuvered through his gene pool a lot better than Melissa did.

Melissa is so against unnecessary plastic surgery because she's seen her mother's addiction up close. But are we supposed to believe Melissa's never had any work done? She's too much a doppelganger of her mom for that to be Melissa's original nose.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

I agree. Melissa looks like she had plastic surgery.

Is this show going to be an hour every week? I think it's too long. I can understand the first episode to set up the premise, but I don't want to watch for a whole hour every week.

I also agree that it is kind sit-com like. It didn't make any sense for Melissa not to tell Joan that her puffy, sweaty boyfriend moved in. How old is she? 40... ish? Divorced and has a kid.

nola99

nola99

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 1:55 PM

I am surprised that i enjoyed the show as much as I did. I really didn't expect to...

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 2:08 PM

Puffy sweaty boyfriend (PSB) looks like a lesser Baldwin brother.

It was ridiculous of Melissa not to tell her mother about him moving in considering how often they speak. And it was ridiculous of Joan to bring her non housetrained dog to her daughter's home when Melissa specifically told her not to.

The ashes bit was morbid.

weaverhi

weaverhi

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

I looked at it more like a sit com. I'm sure Joan knew Melissa had a live in boyfriend. As someone said, the nanny was right out of central casting. It was all fake, including Joan's moving to the West Coast. She is still in her New York apartment as far as I know.

But I liked it...........

Another Hermes bag going to the beach!

lmwilker

lmwilker

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 4:01 PM

Sometimes there was a sad look in Cooper's eyes that didn't look staged at all. It was horrible of Joan to instruct him to lie to his mother.

I adore Joan Rivers and really like Melissa too but it must have been difficult growing up with an "icon" for a mother. I remember Melissa on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here! where her flirting with J-Lo's ex was kind of desperate and pathetic. I wonder if she's the kind of person who attracts losers and freeloaders like a magnet. I also had to snicker when Melissa went on about how people don't realize that she's a producer and all the stuff she's produced but the two things she mentioned was the Red Carpet shows and Fashion Police which are both her mother's vehicles.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 4:07 PM

How in the world did I miss the premiere?

Hopefully WE will show it 34 more times this week. I'm so there next week!

poguemom

poguemom

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 5:01 PM

First of all, I have to say that Cooper is one beautiful kid! He is such a cutie and seems like a sweet boy. Melissa seems like a good mom to him and much more low key than her mother. I cannot imagine having a mother like Joan Rivers. She is so over the top that it would probably drive me crazy! I tend to agree with those that think that a lot of this is staged, such as the nanny. I still found it quite entertaining, though, and will watch it if I think about it. I won't set my DVR or anything, though.

sosweety1011

sosweety1011

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 5:12 PM

I also had to snicker when Melissa went on about how people don't realize that she's a producer and all the stuff she's produced but the two things she mentioned was the Red Carpet shows and Fashion Police which are both her mother's vehicles.

First of all, I love Joan Rivers, faults, foibles and all. I also believe her when she says "nothing is more important than family." Even when she and Melissa were having issues and were temporarily estranged, I never doubted that she loved her daughter more than anything. As I watched the show, I had to wonder if Joan wasn't doing this for Melissa, as it's clear she doesn't need the money and is probably as busy as she wants to be.

Melissa's son is cute. Melissa seems fairly normal, considering her background. Her live-in boyfriend, the guy who does hedge funds, and coaches tennis? Well, he seems fairly easy-going, gets along with her son, soooooo --- maybe he's the best available man out there for her.

Totally agree the nanny was cast just for this show. The long-time assistant seems like she knows what's what and gets the job done.

Depending on the angle of the camera (and probably many lighting tricks I know nothing about), Joan sometimes looks amazing and stunning. Then you get a side shot and it looks supremely unnatural. She needs to throw the jeans she was wearing at her Connecticut home away - they are too tight and too young.

And what was she doing pushing around that huge luggage cart piled high??? She's crazy. She's also good to her fans. Love her.

Edited by sosweety1011, Jan 26, 2011 @ 5:24 PM.

kathe593

kathe593

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 5:15 PM

Regarding Melissa and plastic surgery. She definately had her nose done, and her teeth. (her real teeth came off greyish on camera). I suspect a boob job too, as I remember Joan pre-plastic surgery and she was "flat as a board!"

HopeWings16

HopeWings16

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 6:41 AM

I was willing to give Swedish Nanny the benefit of the doubt...until her bathing suit came off and her tits came out.

edmonds

edmonds

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 8:28 AM

I liked this show more than I thought I would. I tuned in just to see what is was about and wound up watching the whole thing. I know a lot of it was fake and staged, but it was still interesting.

The biggest thing I wonder about is how does Melissa support herself (and quite a few friends and hanger ons). She mentioned that she was the producer of a couple of older shows her mother did. But those are over now. Melissa has a son, an assistant, a nanny, a boyfriend, and several other people who live with her. She was also shown having her personal yoga teacher come to her house. It must cost a mint to take care of all of those folks.

In the movie Joan Rivers A Piece of Work, Joan mentions that she must keep working as she has a lot of others to support. I wonder if she also is a contributor to Melissa's income. I hope Joan's move to California is just to be able to shoot this series. Joan does not fit into the west coast life style. She is so very New York.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 8:59 AM

I hope Joan's move to California is just to be able to shoot this series.

After watching the first ten minutes of this (all I could take), I'm certain of this. Everything about this show is even more transparently engineered and manipulated than the average "reality" show. Including the entire premise.

And I say this as someone who loves Joan Rivers. For years I've thought she has received a bum rap and am glad she's making a bit of a comeback. I think she's a genuine wit, and she practically always brings me pleasure. But from square one, I felt this show was lying to me, and I don't like being lied to.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

Melissa's ex-husband was a polo player. I don't know much else about him but I think this was a hobby for him, not a profession. At any rate, I think that means $ and she must get alimony/child support from him.

cimbriano

cimbriano

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 11:19 AM

According to Joan, on the Howard Stern Show, Melissa is very well off as a result of her father leaving her a fortune. Joan actually said that Melissa is far more wealthy than she is.

This show was very slow moving and quite contrived. Hopefully it will improve over time.

sosweety1011

sosweety1011

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

Thanks for the info Cimbriano - I had figured that Melissa's dad had probably either set up a trust fund or outright left her most, if not all, of his estate, considering that Joan was at that time, earning and more than self-supporting herself. Even so, it's been a long time, so either it was a huge amount and/or Melissa is smart enough to invest wisely so that she continues to live on that money.

I can't see this show lasting more than one short season, but I'll watch because Joan makes me laugh.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

Bravo three doctors refused to do surgery on her arms. She's 77 her arms look great.

weaverhi

weaverhi

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 4:00 PM

Thanks for the info Cimbriano - I had figured that Melissa's dad had probably either set up a trust fund or outright left her most, if not all, of his estate, considering that Joan was at that time, earning and more than self-supporting herself. Even so, it's been a long time, so either it was a huge amount and/or Melissa is smart enough to invest wisely so that she continues to live on that money.

I was always curious about this. Joan moved to NY around 1990, and claimed to be broke. Husband had died in 1987. Of course Joan's definition of broke was that she bought a $1million dollar apartment, which was a HUGE amount of money at the time. I think she spent another million or so doing it over top to bottom. It got a lot of press. She supposedly did not get a lot of work because the Johnny Carson thing accompanied by the Fox firing made her somewhat unhireable in many places. She started up her QVC jewelry line which put her back on the road to big $$$$$$. She also supposedly lost all her money in that because of a bad partner and started up again a few years later.

She is supposedly selling her New York apartment now for $25million. It's been on the market for about two years.. I don't buy that she is really selling it, but who knows? The monthly nut must be unbelievably high.

Joan selling NY apartment

Joan selling apartment and house

Joan and Edgar were living in California when he died, so could he have left Joan out of his will legally?

Edited by weaverhi, Jan 27, 2011 @ 4:03 PM.

affirmed

affirmed

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 5:32 PM

Regarding Melissa's wealth - it was a big deal bag when Joan's hubby passed. He has left everything 50/50 to Joan and Melissa and actually made them joint owners of everything, so Joan had to ask Melissa's permission to sell anything. Plus I always got the feeling that Melissa was a major Daddy's girl and there was friction before the passing of Edgar so this whole financial arrangement did not help.

It was kinda poo-poo'd at the time when Joan took the "center square" on the New Hollywood Squares but she was quoted as saying, "Hey...I gotta work! I have bills!"

I like Joan but Melissa bugs. Her son is cute though.

lgrant2001

lgrant2001

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 12:29 PM

I watched because I love Joan but yeah, every part of it felt so, so staged. It was so obvious when poor Cooper was spouting his lines, first with the swear jar and then the surfboard secret -- somebody was feeding that kid lines and he is no kind of natural actor. Cute kid, though.

Man I really hope that nanny is staged because if not, Joan is 100% right. Melissa's trying to prove something.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 2:35 PM

Nobody in their right mind would be trying to create a new family and have that nanny walking around the house.

I agree that she was probably cast for the show, but they could, at least, try and make it look realistic by scripting her to watch the kid for a second. She didn't even watch the kid when they were at the beach.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 2:38 PM

I hope Joan's move to California is just to be able to shoot this series.

After watching the first ten minutes of this (all I could take), I'm certain of this. Everything about this show is even more transparently engineered and manipulated than the average "reality" show. Including the entire premise.

And I say this as someone who loves Joan Rivers.

I couldn't agree more. I also felt after the first ten minutes that everything we were seeing was staged. I did watch the whole thing, though - I love Joan and I want to love this series. So far, though, it looks like it's going to be tough sledding. And that promo for next week - where Joan decides to completely redecorate without consulting Melissa? Gee, that looks, um, totally spontaneous and unscripted, doesn't it (snort!)?

Edited by ratgirlagogo, Jan 28, 2011 @ 4:45 PM.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 2:58 PM

I think this show may go down easier if it's thought of as a mocku-script-com.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 3:01 PM

Did anyone catch the name of Melissa's friend who wishes Joan was her mother? I swear I've seen her before, but I'm not placing her.

PumpkinSpice

PumpkinSpice

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 3:43 PM

One hour is waaaay too long for this show. I got bored about halfway through and thought the fake drama about Melissa's "secret" live-in boyfriend went on far too long.

I love Joan, but think it would be maddening to interact with her. Even if the "plot" was faked, she blatantly disregarded any boundaries Melissa tried to establish. I have a feeling that that will be a main part on the show- Joan steamrolling over everyone else. Funny for a while, but I think it will get old quickly.

I was surprised by how opulent Joan's New York apartment looked. It looked like a European palace. For someone so outrageous and ball-busting, it's interesting to see how old-fashioned and classical some of her tastes and attitudes are.

poguemom

poguemom

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 4:14 PM

Did anyone catch the name of Melissa's friend who wishes Joan was her mother? I swear I've seen her before, but I'm not placing her.

I think it was Lynn. And I know I've seen her somewhere, too, and it's driving me crazy that I cannot remember!

lgrant2001

lgrant2001

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 5:54 PM

Did anyone catch the name of Melissa's friend who wishes Joan was her mother?

Lynne Koplitz
You may remember her from one of these gems: a Midol commercial, ZRock(?), or (old school FN alert!) How To Boil Water

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 9:36 PM

Z Rock! That's it - she's worked with Joan before on that sitcom. She plays Joan's niece. Actually Joan does some cameos as her aunt-Lynne is the one really on the show. Thanks.

My excuse for not remembering is that it's been awhile since there's been new episodes.

sunrisepink

sunrisepink

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

From what I can gather of the situation, it appears that Melissa is simply better with money than Joan. There's a difference between making millions of dollars and pissing it away and making a few thousand, investing it, and ending up with millions.

StonesGirl

StonesGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2011 @ 11:32 AM

For years, Joan had been saying that she has to work because she needs money to pay her bills. Edgar was her manager, they lived in Beverly Hills and Melissa went to private schools all her life and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. She is also an accomplished equestrian ( I hope I spelled that right) which costs a lot of money. She was only 21 or so when her father died and she probably had no bills and used her money wisely and has been able to pick and choose when and if she wants to work and usually only works with her mother on any projects. Her wedding cost an unbelievable amount of money at the reception at the Plaza Hotel. Joan walked down the aisle to the Gay Men's Chorus (hope I got the name right) singing Hey Big Spender.

Joan films all the Red Carpet Shows and now the weekly series on E Fashion Awards in Los Angeles. So she must have had a place to stay for all these years while she was filming these shows. While I understand her base is in New York, she is acting like staying at Melissa's is like staying in Alaska with the Palins.

But I have to say, I liked this show much better than I thought I would and I laughed out loud a few times. I will definitely tune in next week.