Dan and Blair: Do You Dair?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1852 replies to this topic

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

DAIR fans, I'm interested to know your thoughts about this twist that will end the D/B/C triangle. I will be very disappointed if all this buildup for DAIR will somehow just ends. I know that the season finale Dan has a fellowship to Rome. In my mind, Dan loves Blair and will either invite her to join him or that he turns down a great opportunity for love. However, I'm very concern of this twist and how it will affect DAIR. Like most of you, I only tune into GG because of DAIR.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Isn't the triangle already over? Hasn't Blair chosen Dan for several episodes now?

And why can't he go away to Rome for awhile and still be with Blair? I'm sure a fellowship wouldn't be for anything more than the summer.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

catmax99, check out this article

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:27 AM

I am sure there is big drama ahead-coming up to the season finale- and it is quite possible they may split up

Yes- in one sense it wouldn't make sense because there has been such a long build up to them getting together and they are very happy right now- everything we have seen in the past few episodes suggest the relationship has strong foundations however

Chuck is going to fight to get Blair back; Serena has gone a bit crazy and I think if Dair do break up- she'll be the one behind it- then you've got Georgina in the mix- does Blair still owe her and what will she ask Blair to do

We have had a really good run of episodes from the end of the wedding; next week's episode also looks great- we should just be happy with that for the moment- there is still another season to go and this show is not big on normal happy drama free relationships

MzRandom

MzRandom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

While I had hoped for a little more than a 5 episode acknowledged relationship, as a DAIR fan I'm just happy we got that. I am hopeful that if there is a breakup; it maybe temporary but one never knows with this show.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

I wouldnít worry about that article, follow the narrative and premier/finale parallels or all the other interviews Safran gave.

Breakup will be Dan's insecurities, we saw it again this ep when he said to Nate Ďyou know what Iím up against hereí. Blair's choice is clear. Chuck make misinterpreted Blair? CB will work towards friendship I think, with Blair saying that they were never good as friends. It will be outside factors and misunderstandings. I hope the break up isnít some amicable agreement or cheating or something deliberately hurtful.

Iím in two minds as to want I would prefer, it would be nice if they got the summer together, but what is better for endgame?

Back to the Met scene, donít get me wrong, it was great but from the filming videos it seemed to have a lot more that what we got.

Next week looks great, watch the producers preview and give me one logical reason why they canít make it.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

Aftershock, I do like your optimism. We all should be as optimistic. I think the writers already have made up their mind about endgame and whatever makes more sense for them is what they will deliver to the end. After watching the series from S1 til now, I find DAIR to be more appealing and entertaining. I guess you see what you want to see. I see two different people from different worlds that you never thought would have a romantic relationship. They both have prejudice towards one another in the beginning. Then in S1X04, they let their guards down and had a chance to know each other. Friendship builds and the rest is history. To me, that makes more sense in terms of a healthy relationship. Next week would be fun for DAIR but not looking towards the remaining episodes of S5.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

I saw this on tumblr:

Dair Fandom: What if we lose everything?
Dair: We still have season 5.

We've had some really good episodes so far and this is still one of the best things the writers have ever done on the show IMHO. I don't mind if the couple breaks up in the finale probably due to misunderstanding and Dan's insecurities. The finales have a way of breaking up couples, but revisiting them next season. As long as Dair are in it for the long haul, I am fine.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

After reading some of the scripts, I have a gut feeling it's not going to be DAIR for the summer. I'm thinking that Dan turned down Rome because of Blair. His publicist told him to reconsider over the phone and Blair overheard the conversation. I'm thinking at this moment that she wasn't aware of Dan's great opportunity and she purposedly cause some tension between them. After the argument and since Dan have nothing left in NY, he decided to spend time in Rome for the summer. Which leaves CHAIR in NY for the summer. I guess we'll always have S4 and S5 to remember the great DAIR moments. I'm praying that my assumptions are totally wrong but it would be season finale if it was in fact true. Josh also said that D/B/C triangle will end by the season finale. After watching tonight's episode, it's hard to believe that DAIR will end abruptly.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

Dan and Blair were adorable tonight. I refuse to let any concerns about where this may be heading for the hiatus bring me down. I'm just going to enjoy this.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

I saw this on tumblr:

Dair Fandom: What if we lose everything?
Dair: We still have season 5.

IMO this needs to be changed to "We still have the second half of season 5". The first half of the season was terrible I thought. Not just from a Dan/Blair perspective but for the entire show. I really thought it hit worse than season 3 low in terms of quality.

Dan and Blair were adorable tonight. I refuse to let any concerns about where this may be heading for the hiatus bring me down. I'm just going to enjoy this.

Agreed. They've given us all I ever wanted to see from them and so much more. I'll be sad if/when they break up, but I'm absolutely loving what we're getting at the moment. They were goddamn adorable tonight. Even by their standard.

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Suddenly the best fanfics donít do DB justice. Itís a bit tiresome weíre getting 'will they' or 'wonít they' survive in every ep now, but they come out stronger than ever each time. So much to like about them in this ep, it comes so naturally to them. Blair is beaming, never seen her this enthused and happy. Dan is just doting on her as a result. Itís great to see what they actually have and how they function, I really scratch my head at what the other pairing have in that regard. The dumbing down line was so right, both would just be twiddling their thumbs with anyone else.

I felt the whole different worlds thing was played up a bit. Dan hasnít been like that for a long, long time and Blair has spend the year going to Brooklyn. Rufus and Lilyís situation forced it and it was nice to see how they handled it so maturely and successfully, where RL failed, they just honestly talked and compromised while still keeping their fun banter intact. Blair will never be as horrible as Lily so not a proper parallel tbh and Dan has a backbone where Rufus is only after rediscovering his. Perfect example of them creating a problem where there is none though.

Of course their party only tanked because of intruders and their melodrama, no doubt it would have been a success. It was so contrived how it all happened and how both DB didnít cop that it was no reflection on them as a couple.

Really hard to pick holes so far since they got together. Was hoping for one more view of them in bed though in a more compromising position, but I get the writers aim there and itís heartening to show they wonít need sex games to keep things interesting between them.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

If you guys haven't noticed, Leighton real life boyfriend looks somewhat like Dan in terms of the hair and clothes :-).

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

If you guys haven't noticed, Leighton real life boyfriend looks somewhat like Dan in terms of the hair and clothes :-).

From a great distance, I guess there is a likeness lol. Leighton looks happy and she deserves that, wish them well. Drooling over those beach pics all week tbh.

SnowFox

SnowFox

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

"If you could only see what I see." This is what I love about Dan and Blair. Dan doesn't have to put Blair down or try to control her. Dan loves Blair for who she is, and wants her to feel good about herself. I'm so glad Blair showed up at Dan's at the end.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Dan is really good to Blair. He understands her and doesn't care about the shallow things that goes on UES. I do hope that DAIR last til the end. I know that Dan should have been more upset with Blair tonight but he really loves her and want to support her. At the end, I think that Blair sees that.

quazimodo

quazimodo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Puking rainbows and puppies after the last episode. Blair got caught up in her crazy but that last Dair scene was perfect.

EBStarr

EBStarr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I'm so glad Blair showed up at Dan's at the end.

I love how when she decides to be really honest, she shows up at Dan's. (A contrast to Lily, who generally shows up in Brooklyn when she's trying to manipulate Rufus.) And what a cute scene, as always!

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Have posted some of this elsewhere but it was kind of sad to see Blair try to upstage Dan. Yes, it was very vintage, almost Season 1 Blair and while I donít ever want to see Blair stop scheming, we also need to see that she is growing up and maturing. After everything Dan had done for her he really didn't deserve this. She refused to sabotage him at W magazine because she recognised he was her friend so taking over his speech like that was not just pathetic but also a retrograde step for Blair.

It was a little sad to see Blair needing Dan to tell her things that she should already know about herself. That said I felt this scene played very well. Firstly it was good that Blair spoke about being traded for a hotel and selling out for a tiara (again) because Blair shouldn't simply forget about what's happened. She's not the same girl we met in Season 1, none of them are. She has made some poor decisions in terms of her relationships and she has lost her sense of self in the process.

Not having to incessantly worry about relationship drama for the first time since (probably) season 1 means Blair has to finally has time for a little introspection; time to ask herself some questions about where she's going in her own life in terms of her career and her ambitions. Who she wants to be and what she wants to do with her life. For too long Blair's sense of self worth has been unnecessarily tied up with her boyfriend. I really see Dan as the exception in this because Dan doesn't need Blair to validate him, or to change for him. Dan loves her for who she is; he wants to be with her because he loves her and she makes him happy.

It was great to see Dan refer to the W arc and that this is when he fell for her, because it was when she was showing personal ambition and doing something to advance herself professionally. What I liked about Blair during the W arc was that Blair showed initiative and determination in getting the internship and she was good at it. She clearly enjoyed working there. Yes, sadly the powerful woman arc was, in the end, slightly too linked to trying to impress Chuck because of his relationship with Raina but the W internship was good for Blair; and ironically, it was the man she wasn't trying to impress at all that fell for her.

This episode reminded me of s05e02- where Blair asks Dan what will happen if she loses everything and he reassures her that she'll still have him. Something Blair probably hasn't heard too much, if ever, from those who professed to love her. Here Dan tells her what she should already know, that when she is being true to herself SHE IS fiercely strong, independent, outspoken, beautiful and capable of anything; 'no man or magazine should be able to take that away from her'. Is there anything Blair had needed to hear as badly as this? Dan gets it because he seems to understand Blair better than anyone else I've seen on this show. I hope that after this Blair will start to get it too, preferably (though sadly probably not) before she loses him.

Dan has been fantastic to Blair but he doesnít need to be a martyr either. Blair is lucky to have him. If Blair doesnít learn from this, than Dan needs to consider taking a step back. As much as he loves her, and as much as he sees and treats her as an equal we need to see that Blair values him as an equal too. Maybe Blair needs to (temporarily) lose Dan to realise what she has?

Aftershock

Aftershock

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

[Blair’s] issues are bigger and more dramatic, paternity, miscarriage, wedding, dowry for example. But [I think] she has quietly been supportive [of Dan] and generally a good gf. But, I’m I sure we’ll get that break anyway and Blair will realise the huge void Dan leaves in her life when he’s gone. Not forgetting the everyday verbal tit tat and laughter they easily share, but it’s so normal now for Blair to show up at the loft and just bare her soul to Dan. At the moment, Dan is being incredibly selfless, but he isn’t a martyr imo, he is where he wants to be. Rufus verbalized that he was happy with Blair and we can see that too. He was bordering on pathetic at the start of the season, but now he is her boyfriend, so he is just doing his job. Dan isn’t one for getting into scenarios to need dramatic saving but it would be nice to see Blair prioritise him, the upcoming eps will show us more. We know how formulaic TV is, Dan spent a season or so, pining for Blair, time is running out but Blair will get that treatment too, perhaps the summer.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.
Boards on boards

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Does everyone feel that it's for DAIR? After tonight, I feel that Blair is leaning towards Chuck for reason I don't know. Maybe because Bart is alive but don't understand what this would mean. I feel for Dan because I feel that he's slowly loosing Blair and I knew he would say those three words and Blair would not say them back.

Noname42

Noname42

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Does everyone feel that it's for DAIR? After tonight, I feel that Blair is leaning towards Chuck for reason I don't know. Maybe because Bart is alive but don't understand what this would mean. I feel for Dan because I feel that he's slowly loosing Blair and I knew he would say those three words and Blair would not say them back.

I can't see Blair leaning towards Chuck at all personally. I didn't see anything remotely romantic there. The only thing coming in between Dan and Blair is Dan's insecurity. I have a feeling Serena's influence and Blair keeping this secret for Chuck is going to end up making Dan even more insecure and he'll either break up with her in the finale or leave for Rome without her. Chuck is only an imagined obstacle for Dan at this stage, but he's become a real one because it's making Dan panic over nothing.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Thanks Noname42. Your comments makes perfect sense. So do you think the writers creating this insecurity for Dan clearly destroys DAIR which would help make the final and official decision to end with Chuck. Josh Safran stated that the finale will be the end of D/B/C "triangle". Maybe the fact that Blair will be independent and will not end up with neither. What's also interesting is that the finale is more about Serena and the fact she will have a love life? With only two episodes left, how's that possible. Unless that's Dan which I think would be weird considering their distance the last few episodes. I was hoping the best for DAIR and now I'm not so sure.

Noname42

Noname42

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

So do you think the writers creating this insecurity for Dan clearly destroys DAIR which would help make the final and official decision to end with Chuck.

No I don't think so. They made it very obvious to me last episode with the admission that Chuck was at least partly responsible for Blair "losing herself" that a CB reunion in the short-term at least is out of the question. So if they really meant that the triangle will come to an end in the season finale then I'd say Chair are done. They can't go from admitting that Chuck was at least partly responsible for destroying Blair to ultimately crowning them as endgame in the space of 3 episodes. Not even GG is that bad.

I think Dan's insecurity is to create issues for Dair. Dan is a terribly insecure person as it is. Add to that the worry he already has regarding Chuck and Blair's history, the fact that Blair will be no doubt sneaking around with Chuck hiding secrets from him (re Bart), and Serena probably also working to worry Dan...I can see Dan's insecurity reaching breaking point by the finale.

I think the whole "I love you" will play a lot into this as well. Dan was convinced in tonight's episode that Blair doesn't love him, so I could see him assuming that Blair chose Chuck and leaves for Rome without her. Then I'm sort of expecting Blair to arrive at the loft ready to tell him to "take her there" and that she loves him but it will be too late (ala 5x01 parallel "3 words, 8 letters don't come out right when nobody wants to hear them").

I will be shocked if Blair isn't alone at the end of the finale. I think though they will make it very obvious who her choice was/is, and at this stage to me every possible sign is pointing to that choice being Dan. Whether they're together though is another matter entirely. I doubt it. I see this angst continuing into next season so we should probably get used to it.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Noname42, I think you are GG :-). Your perspective make lots of sense. Your comment about

5x01 parallel "3 words, 8 letters don't come out right when nobody wants to hear them").

is a great reminder. Josh did say that the obstacle DAIR faces is what you said about Dan't insecurity. All these obstacles that we've been seeing for DAIR tells me that it's just obstacles and the point to all of this is a great love story between these two. Everyone has obstacles but in the end is what matters the most which is that they love each other. I can clearly see that Dan wanted to take Blair to Rome but decided to go alone because of a misunderstanding and Blair admits her love for Dan but it was too late (Cliff hanger, somewhat.).

After watching last episode, Blair reiterate to us that her last couple of relationship (Chuck and Louis) brought her down and lost herself. She was in the "back of the relationship" and she doesn't want that for herself anymore. Dan reassures that's not going to happen in their relationship and the fact that Dan wants Blair to be the "vintage" Blair with a good heart. Blair is really in a good place now and Dan will be heading toward the other direction because of his unfortunate insecurities. It's normal and these type of obstacles will only make DAIR stronger (I hope) and a much more healthy and epic love story.

Also, what would seal the deal is to have acceptance of Blair from Jenny considering their history. If we don't have that, then I'm not too sure about the healthy aspect of the relationship. We know that Dan love and is very protective of Jenny and it would be icing on the cake to mentioned Jenny's approval (perhaps S6?). I think we have Rufus approval.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I did not find there was much romantic Chuck/Blair moments tonight. Blair has not wavered since her decision to choose Dan. Even in this episode, she chose to ignore Chuck's comments and advances. At the end of the night, she went back to Brooklyn and as Rufus predicted, told Dan about her night. There was no doubt who she would go home to in her mind and only Dan was thinking she would keep spending time with Chuck.

What is a bigger problem is Dan's insecurity and always has been. For a long time, he has not thought himself worth of Blair. Up until Chuck messed with him via Alessandra, he didn't think he even had a chance with her. He's had to come up against Chuck and Prince Louis to be with Blair after a year. Of course he is in love with her, but she has only realized her feelings after a ridiculous amount of angst (wedding, Chuck, pregnancy/miscarriage). So I understand why she wouldn't say it; she's not ready but this will gnaw away at Dan.

Also, Serena will feature against their relationship. She's become self-destructive and it's affected those around her. I can definitely see how she would manipulate Dan's insecurities. I don't hate Serena, but she is become very messed up and I wouldn't past her to ruin the Dair relationship even subconsciously.

Snapshots

Snapshots

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Thena I agree completely. The funny thing is that the only place the love triangle actually exists is in Dan's mind. Blair has made it very obvious that she wants to be with Dan and she hasn't done a thing to suggest otherwise. There was nothing even remotely romantic/sexual between CB in last night's episode.

Dan's insecurity was completely expected though. Like you said, he never even envisioned Blair ever choosing him, and he never made a move earlier for that very reason. In 5x10 when Rufus encouraged him to tell her how he felt, he said he wasn't going to because he expected to be her third choice after Chuck and Louis. At the end of 5x17 when she came to the loft he still couldn't believe that she had chose him and rattled off other reasons why she was there (gone back to Chuck, desert island heh). Even last episode he told Rufus straight out that he didn't think she loved him.

And what I find really sad is that I think Blair loves him a lot more than he knows. But I think he'll head off to Rome not realizing this and by the time she realizes she does love him it will be too late.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

But I think he'll head off to Rome not realizing this and by the time she realizes she does love him it will be too late

It would appear that's the consensus to have a cliff hanger.

Does anyone feel that Chuck will too realize that Blair is in love with Dan and accept that they are better to remain as friends? I know that Chuck will try to rekindle the relationship.

Glazeddonut

Glazeddonut

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Does anyone feel that Chuck will too realize that Blair is in love with Dan and accept that they are better to remain as friends? I know that Chuck will try to rekindle the relationship.

Ya but he will fail. Blair loves Dan I think the last episode made that obvios. Plus the casino scene just looks like Suck and Blair are friends and the ring gets sold for gambling money as the ultimate sign of clusure.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

[quote]ring gets sold for gambling money as the ultimate sign of clusure. [/quote]...I like that assumption. It would be interesting to see what that scene is about. I'm assuming that's a finale scene.

My scenario for the DAIR finale would be that Blair finds a note that Dan had left for her in the hallway table. Blair came home to get ready to see Dan in Brooklyn to tell him that she loves him too. The note would say something like this:

"Blair, I've always wanted you to be happy and love you for who you are which is an independent and strong woman. These past few days, I've witness the time you spend with Chuck. I'm not the type of person that will stand in the way of your happiness. I can see that you are alive with Chuck and I will have to respect that as a reality. There will always be a place for you in my heart and if Chuck makes you happy, I wish you and Chuck the best. Just remember, don't worry about what others see but be happy with yourself. Have a great summer.

After you read this letter, I will be at the airport. I've decided to take the fellowship opportunity in Rome."

Sorry for my lack of creativity in the letter :-).

I'm afraid that DAIR fans will be surprised in the finale. After checking out "not ggwriters" website, I get the feeling that they are setting up Derena ending. First, Josh had mentioned that the finale will be more about Serena. We all know that Serena's life has been "dark". She's been trying to avoid DAIR and pretending to be GG helps her take her mind off of them. It did say that Serena will find "new" love in the finale. I think she will do something to derail DAIR which would cause B and S relationship to be hanging by the thread. Dan will somehow spend the summer in Rome with Serena and of course CHAIR will rekindle. This is based on all the hints that's been spreading on the internet. Now that Bart is back and I think Rufus and Lily marriage will end (sad), it would be okay for Derena.

Then again, that's too obvious so it could be false (I hope).

Doesn't look good based on the below spoiler:

[quote]Aalso_o: Something about Chuck and Blair would be great. What about the return of the ring?
A highly placed show insider tells us fans should take the event Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester attended on April 27, the grand opening of Harry Winston's new store in Shanghai, as a major Gossip Girl finale clue. HmmmÖ
/quote]

Our assumption might not be too far off :-(.

Edited by dreamdair, May 3, 2012 @ 10:06 PM.