Dan and Blair: Do You Dair?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1852 replies to this topic

Desafinado

Desafinado

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 8:42 PM

Sorry if the title's lame. I'll change it if anything comes up with something else.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

Yes! Finally. Thanks for starting the thread. The title is simple, but fits perfectly. I like it!

I don't have anything relevant to say at the moment other than I love Dair so freaking much! Please, don't disappoint me yet again, show!

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

I definitely 'Dair'! Thanks for the thread, and no, don't change the title - it's perfect!

I adore them as a potential couple. More so than any other relationship that has been done on the show so far. Perhaps part of the reason is that I enjoy them so much as characters individually, and when they do interact it's just golden. I was sold on them as a pairing since that hallway scene in Bad News Blair. I think Penn and Leighton have such good chemistry and I think it's a real shame that it wasn't utilized earlier on.

Apart from that, there's something so different about the two of them - I think that despite all their bickering and quarrels there's something really mature and grown-up that's developing between them. Serena and Dan used to be sweet together, but their romance became too much of a fairytale that went sour. Chuck and Blair - well, what can I say? A relationship that became toxic and unhealthy because it brought out the worst in both characters.

But Dan and Blair - there is something that's very real and sweet about them. Underneath all the disdain and pettiness there is a real respect and affection growing. I think in a way both of them have felt used and abused by people they loved - Serena and Chuck - they've never really been put first by their partners. Also, they have so much in common, both are well read and excel at verbal warfare - they're totally equals in their own different ways.

I really, really hope that the show doesn't screw this up. I know that there's 80% chance that this is all just a pitstop before Chair and Dan/Serena are resurrected all over again, but I hope that if the ratings are good enough, the writers will have good sense to change their minds and really do something adventurous to this show again.

CamB

CamB

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 11:14 AM

I was really about to lay off last season but when ep 311 happened, show did me in AGAIN. Much thanks to Dan and Blair. If this turns out to be just a pitstop, then please let it be the best one! Blair and Dan have some of the most honest interactions in this show, that's great to see.

sionprincess

sionprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

I Dair, but I still don't know how I'll feel if they sleep together. They're adorable and I like this change for both of them and Leighton and Penn work well together, but I would love if they kept it platonic. I'm not holding my breath for it though.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 1:00 AM

At this point, I'd prefer them to be bf/gf or secret lovers because I've been waiting forever for them to interact more and it's already the fourth season. A platonic friendship would have been great two seasons ago when I cared about other ships (read. Chair. Ugh.), but I don't really give a damn about the other characters anymore. Dair make my heart flutter and I rarely feel this way about pairings on TV. So bring it on!

I found this amazing Youtube Channel a couple of days ago. It has most of Dair scenes from season 1-4. I like rewatching those and see how far they've come.

Kirsty

Kirsty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

I'm really curious about the episode that's supposed to air on March 7th, given that this relationship has been getting more screen time lately. Episode 18 is the one in which the Dan/Blair pairing gets some attention every season, so I'm excited at the prospect of what that might mean this year!

You know how in 3x18, at Dorota's wedding, Eleanor tells Dan to make himself useful and bring the bartender more ice? And it was kind of odd. Like, it's a shitty way to treat a wedding guest obviously, but the actress, Margaret Colin, played it with a warm smile. So I wonder if we were supposed to see that this was Eleanor's way of sending him to talk to Blair, who was sad and alone in the kitchen? We did see Dan, Blair, Eleanor and Cyrus celebrating together later.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2011 @ 8:18 PM

I found this amazing Youtube Channel a couple of days ago. It has most of Dair scenes from season 1-4. I like rewatching those and see how far they've come.

Man... as if I needed something more on YouTube to watch. They're great. I've always loved those sprinkles of Dair throughout the seasons. I'm kind of glad that we had to wait for it.

I find it sweet that after wading through her insults, Blair always finds a way to confide in Dan and he finds a way to listen and actually give good advice. These two can actually communicate with each other, unlike everyone else with everyone else on this show. Whether it's romantic or friendship, that's really saying something.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2011 @ 4:14 PM

I thought they had an interesting journey in Damien Darko. I love how they were seeing each other to chat and plan their movie dates. And how cute was Dan bringing her food because he knew that she wouldn't want to eat the food at W? So sweet, which made the backstabbing more hurtful. I hope that they will still interact in the following episodes. You could tell that Blair was missing her friend in the end by trying to not call/text him.

I'm trying to not get invested too much, but it's really difficult. I'm falling hard for them, you guys.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2011 @ 6:33 PM

Ugh, so am I. It's so hard not to! I keep telling myself that there's no way in hell that Dair stand a chance against Chuck/Blair... but I'm determined to enjoy what we're getting for now.

Damien Darko was full of awesomeness. Dan bringing Blair food was so adorable. I think what I like best about them is that they do all these normal things - seeing movies,meeting for coffee, discussing stuff they have in common - they don't need a dramatic storyline to make them interesting, their chemistry and dynamic are enough in themselves.

She was definitely missing him, she was just being in denial! Dan giving Blair the internship basically sums up why I love his character and why I think he's so good for her. Really do hope we get much more of their friendship and hope they manage to patch things up quickly. Leighton and Penn just shine together on screen.

nanillac

nanillac

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 2:48 AM

Oh yeah, on the bandwagon... I've always liked their chemistry but was too obsessed with Chuck/Blair to even consider 'Dair', but now... I'm interested in the show for the first time in FOREVER (some credit has to go to Easy A for making me see Penn Badgley as likeable)

Ok, too much detail alert, but I loved how in their opening scene she was like "you know today is a big day for me" and he says "are you finally gonna tell me which internship you got..." it all just underscores their growing friendship that this is clearly something they've talked about.

I think it's good for Dan to have it reiterated that not all UESers are like Nate and Serena; given endless second chances. The first ever meaningful 'Dair' interaction was in Bad News Blair and it said the same thing "Upper East Side queens aren't born at the top, they climb their way up in heels"...

I also think that there's is possibly the only relationship on the show (romantic or otherwise) that might show us something new about the characters.

Excited.

Kirsty

Kirsty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 6:17 PM

My favourite D/B scene in "Damien Darko" is the one where they're sitting on the floor like puppies among the gift bags. Look how smiley Dan is there! When has that wretch ever looked so happy? Blair is legit annoyed, and he's amused and playful. Even his opening question has a teasing tone. (What's clearly missing from this scene: KISSES.)

They're going to run into each other on Sunday at the Degas exhibit, right? Where Blair will pretend that she didn't care if he showed.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

If Dan and Blair do get romantically involved, we'll have something like the early 1st season, but with Blair and Serena swapping roles. That triangle ended wth Nate losing both Serena and Blair (at least temporarily). Will something similar happen to Dan?

sedeyus

sedeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 12:04 AM

I don't know. Don't get wrong, like the actors, their chemistry, and Blair/Dan are only the two characters left that I reasonably care about. But I have no faith in the writers or at least their attempts to make things "interesting". Why, if the two have a secret friendship, couldn't they coexist at W? Why not give us a few episodes with that dynamic if they're exploring the Blair/Dan relationship? Why does it have to end with a fight in public that makes them both look like idiots?
It may not even have to be a romance, but I think the relationship could encourage some character development for both of them, make them consider how they conduct themselves. It could even become a good thing for Chair, if you're so inclined, because it could force Chuck to realize he has to be a better man for Blair.
I just don't really trust the writers to do something that surprises or interests me. I think it'll just be some variation of: Chuck finds out about Dair, gets pissed, spends a few episodes next season breaking them up, and that's it.

narrativeaddict

narrativeaddict

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 12:09 AM

I think it would be cute if they weren't hooking up, but Serena and Chuck thought they were or were worried that they would. And if Dan had to explain to Serena that hanging out with Blair was fun and easy, not fraught with complications. (the same with Blair to Chuck.). I used to think I wanted to see Dair as a couple, but they're so much fun together that I'd prefer a more permanent relationship (a romantic one would not be in the GG universe). Watching them collaborate on a project together would be so awesome!

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 12:44 AM

You know I completely get why some would rather want a friendship for these two than a romantic relationship, but I've been waiting for soooooooo long (since 1x04 I saw a spark, but then Chair started and I was too invested in that pairing until mid season 2 where I was getting annoyed with their shenanigans). I don't think I can settle for just a friendship. Obviously, I am ecstatic with the amazing scenes that they've been sharing lately, but I want more! I know I'm asking for disappointment, but I can't help myself. I don't want Blair to go back to Chuck after everything he's done to her. As for Dan and Serena, not only am I tired of their on-and-off again relationship, but they are step-siblings. Ugh. If Dair can't be together, I hope they find better people than Chuck and Serena, which of course won't happen.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 4:19 AM

I'm with you Lunathick! We might be setting ourselves up for disappointment in getting our hopes up, but I think there is way too much potential for them not to go there with Dan and Blair. Their scenes are so hilarious and have introduced a much needed breath of fresh air to the show. Why waste it by going back to same old, tired couples?

However, if they do decide to go back to Chuck/Blair and Dan/Serena, then I want it to happen right at the end of the show. I don't think I could suffer another round of the same old drama and angst with those couples, and I would particularly hate it if Blair went back to Chuck after all he did to her. A few minutes around Dan and I've seen Blair happier and more animated than she's ever appeared around Chuck for these past 2 seasons.

cmgames

cmgames

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 5:03 PM

Count me in on the 'Dair Train'. If ever I wanted there to be a series spin off to the movie My Sassy Girl (Korean Version ofc) then these two characters would certainly fit the bill. Even there goofy fighting scene in 4:13 was reminiscent of the girl slapping Kyun-woo at the police station. Though Dan Humphrey may not be as comedic, their witty banter and back and forth verbal sparring brings out his funnier side. As for Blair, she can now shine as Queen Bee in a more favourable light and doesn't have to resort to going to the 'Chuck side' where it only dragged both characters down to an unlikeable demise.

It should add an extra dimension to the only other interesting pairing of the show, Blair and Serena. I just hope that Blair will be the one to win out over best buddy.

Edited by cmgames, Feb 3, 2011 @ 5:05 PM.

swampophelia

swampophelia

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Veronica Mars, Terminator:Sarah Connor Chronicles, Battlestar Galactica:2003, Gossip Girl, Fringe, Nikita, Inception, Harry Potter, Push

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 11:23 PM

hi cmgames! i'm so with you on a spinoff! Combine Sassy Girl (yes to Korean version) with a bit of The Thin Man (yes to Jacob's Nick and Nora reference), and we have a show where the two of them are enforcing Frontier Justice in Style (ATM). It would be fun, it would be angsty, it would be riveting and charming. God I love this pair. I only started really watching GG again when I heard that they were finally going there. It made watching through the last half of season 3 bearable for me.

TheBigFalafel

TheBigFalafel

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 6:52 PM

As a huge Chair shipper I never thought I would get on on board the Dair express, but dammit, here I am! I really hope the relationship turns romantic without the writers screwing it up.

If anything this storyline has showed me that Leighton is really the best part of the show. I know that Blake has the pretty hair and the infectious laugh but Serena's storylines are always decent to blah IMO. I think Chuck is an absolute bore in any storyline that doesn't involve Blair and I never cared very strongly about Dan until the Dair storyline.

I would love it if this turned the two standard couples (B&C and D&S) completely inside out. It might be too soon to tell but it reminds me of Dawson's Creek when P&J got together and were all of the sudden they were THE couple of the show when the coupling of D&J had been propped up since the first minute of the first episode. At first I thought the Dair pairing was just a way to kill time until they inevitably got Blair back with Chuck, but Penn and Leighton do so well in scenes together I think there is potential for them to be an awesome couple in their own right or at least make for some great love triangle (quadrangle?) episodes.

Dair love 4eva!

swampophelia

swampophelia

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Veronica Mars, Terminator:Sarah Connor Chronicles, Battlestar Galactica:2003, Gossip Girl, Fringe, Nikita, Inception, Harry Potter, Push

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 10:32 AM

i'm all for the love triangle/quadrangle! i'm just wary that they might turn this into some weird Dawson/Pacey BFF emotional sabotage/smackdown. I seriously hated Dawson during those moments, at how entitled the character was. I think the only character that may express entitlement would be Chuck, but he doesn't have a relationship with Dan to pull that off so it would probably be Blair and Serena pushing each other into fountains again. Or pulling hair. But Dan and Chuck... the potential for serious damage is THERE. The show has been subtly playing them off as rival brothers (Dan as the Good Son, Chuck as the wayward Son) this season. I really don't understand why so many fans don't see that Dan is no longer judgey-judgey. He's been an active schemer since end of season 3, and as he said early this season he had to "adapt or die". He's still supposed to be the "good kid", but I think we're already at the "Beware the Nice Ones" point. My take away from 4x13 was that in a clean fight, if he didn't doubt himself and Blair (he doubted his initial gut feel that Blair would not back stab him only after Epperly told him to doubt Blair), he would actually have won. All the reasons he pointed out why his author was the better choice, Blair had no counters for them. If he just trusted his own read of the Blair situation, then he could have gotten what he wanted. I think that a lot of where the D/B arc is for this season will be played out this way. I think it's actually crucial that they've been keeping their friendship under the radar, exactly because of this. Because, people tell them what to feel and who to be with. The two of them, under the radar, finding out they are actually real people and not just trope caricatures - no wonder they can't tell the other people in their lives.

I love how the writers are slow building this ship this season. I was afraid that they were going to end up the Lucas/Haley of GG, but I'm so glad that as of now that is actually Nate and Blair. There's too much spark in Dan and Blair for the writers not to romantically explore them. I personally think that Penn and Leighton are doing a brilliant job. Penn in particular, because Dan has been played as a semi-stoic character this season. Penn hasn't been playing him emo at all, even when it counts (like when he lost Milo). Back in season 1, when Blair called Dan a "born liar", Dan is truly coming into that this season. And she took his liar virginity, or was it scheming virginity? I'm just glad they're rocking this.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 6:18 PM

If Dan and Blair got together romantically, I think that Serena's reaction could go either way. I could see her being upset, sure. But at the same time, I don't think it would be out of character for her to not be that upset, or to get over it quickly. I may have many issues with Serena right now, but since Serena returned to New York at the beginning of the first season, she has been shown to be, more or less, a good friend to Blair. They've had their ups and downs, sure. But when it counts, Serena is usually there for her. One of the defining (and often frustrating) qualities of Serena's character is that when she hurts people, it's usually accidentally, or from lack of foresight, not often through malicious intent. So I don't think it would be out of character for Serena to step aside and give her blessing, even if it pains her to do so at first. But this being Serena, I don't think that pain would last that long. She and Dan did agree that they weren't ready to be together. On the other hand, I think that it would realistic for her to be angry with Blair at first and accuse her of betrayal or something, but even then, I don't see her being mad for too long. It would definitely be unrealistic if she didn't care at all, but I also think it would be out of character for her to be a Dawson about it and effectively end their friendship for years.

If Chuck says anything, I think that it would be to Blair. He doesn't like talking to Dan, and he's not a fighter. I think that anything he says would along the lines of how Dan is beneath her or something. I'm not sure that he would actively try to win her back after they agreed to be apart.

As I've said before, I don't feel like I need Dan and Blair to be a couple. I just enjoy watching their scenes together. Them being friends is entertaining enough. Plus, when people enter romantic relationships on this show, weird things happen. They discover that they share a secret half sibling, barter each other for property, find themselves raising other people's illegitimate children, etc. I used to be a pretty big Chuck/Blair supporter, but after the stuff toward the end of last season (hotel, Jenny), I've lost interest. Not necessarily because I'm outraged by Chuck's behavior, but more because their storylines got to be so ridiculous and over-the-top that I can't suspend my disbelief long enough to actively root for them (though I do think they still have chemistry). So whatever happens with Dan and Blair, all I ask is that it stay relatively normal. If they have to keep things platonic to stay out of crazy territory, then fine. I just want to see them enjoy each other's company without the daytime soap style antics.

rue721

rue721

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2011 @ 2:00 AM

As I've said before, I don't feel like I need Dan and Blair to be a couple. I just enjoy watching their scenes together. Them being friends is entertaining enough. Plus, when people enter romantic relationships on this show, weird things happen. They discover that they share a secret half sibling, barter each other for property, find themselves raising other people's illegitimate children, etc.

ITA. And absolutely love your run-down of all the bizarre things being a couple brings. I think it's just the writers not knowing how to write relationships, but it's funny to think that the show has been so consistent and extreme in its "DON'T COUPLE UP!" message :P. Anyway, I'm enjoying the friendship fairly well just in terms of how quippy and fresh it is, though I don't think it's especially complex or interesting. I just think it's more interesting when love masks a not-so-sweet emotion (like jealousy or anger or fear) rather than a not-so-sweet emotion masking love/like (as it is with Dair). I just have no interest in delving really deep into how much Dan and Blair actually love each other underneath the bitter-angry coating of their friendship, because....

I guess because all happy friendships are alike and all unhappy friendships are unhappy in their own special way? :P

I don't think it would be out of character for Serena to step aside and give her blessing, even if it pains her to do so at first.

I actually think Serena would DEFINITELY step aside and give her blessing, just out of pride. Blair is her #2, so I doubt she'd stoop to kicking and screaming to Blair about how Dan should love Serena best--I think she'd be more likely to give lip-service to the idea that Blair is free to take her own sloppy seconds and then secretly/subtlely/unconsciously convince herself that she could get Dan back any time she wanted and that he still loves her. It's a point of pride to Serena that no man can escape her charms--thus the Ben grossness--so I doubt she would confront the fact that Dan is over her, which freaking out would require. The thing is, Serena secretly seducing Dan away from Blair would send Blair right over the edge and the only person she could turn to for help/emotional support would be Serena, which would equal AWESOMENESS in my eyes--so bring it on :P.

If Chuck says anything, I think that it would be to Blair. He doesn't like talking to Dan, and he's not a fighter. I think that anything he says would along the lines of how Dan is beneath her or something. I'm not sure that he would actively try to win her back after they agreed to be apart.

Depends how they want to write Chuck this week, imo. How he's been written in the past few episodes, it actually does seem as though he's not feeling all that connected to Blair--at least not to the point where he'd feel possessive of her or jealous about her getting close to Dan. He also has gotten less and less confrontational with Dan over the seasons. S1, he was openly hostile to Dan. S2, he basically begged Dan to be nice to him (said he was hurt about the story betrayal but didn't do anything about it, etc). S3, Dan punched the dude in the face and Chuck didn't even say *anything.* It's been a point that he's avoided the Van Der Humphreys this season, too. So in that vein, I doubt he'd actually do anything about Dan doing *anything,* including getting with Blair. Seems like Dan's won the dominance game. BUT I just find it hard to believe that after all the bullshit between those two, that Chuck would just roll over and let Dan take his family, his girlfriend, EVERYTHING. Doesn't he have an angry or confident bone in his body?

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 12:36 PM

Lovely posts from everybody above. Thanks, that was a good read!

Dair could have redeemed this episode, but since they didn't interact at all, it was total shit.

I know we're not supposed to discuss promos in here, so I won't but....next week looks EXTRA juicy. Made me forget about the bullcrap that was "Panic Roommate" already.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 7:02 PM

This magazine thing. I'm seeing Dan as Stanley Tucci to Blair's Meryl Streep. Dream work team; couple from hell.

swampophelia

swampophelia

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2011 @ 4:57 AM

In my head it's more like His Girl Friday (because I love Blair as the boss of Dan). But to make things more equal, I'd go with Woman of the Year. Blair as Kate Hepburn is just yummy to me.

print_whore

print_whore

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

Just wanted to add to the Dair love train. I haven't posted in years (I dropped this show like a hot potato once they started selling Chuck as the Romantic Lead rather than the Anarchist) but I started watching again once I saw what they were doing with Dan and Blair.

The writers would be crazy to pass up the amount of character growth that each character would achieve from a hookup; Dan would learn that there is humanity in the UES and Blair would grow up and learn that yes, even people from Brooklyn have a lot to offer. Dan and Blair becoming a pair (that rhymes!) means that the two characters who are most uncomfortable with ambiguity and are most set in their intellectual/moral/social elitism FINALLY become tolerant adults. Dan ending up with Vanessa and Blair with Chuck means that these characters fall back into that pre-planned life they had always envisioned for themselves, without venturing out of their comfort zones; it's a future way too sad to contemplate.

I want to see Blair learn how to ride the bus or take the subway, just to prove a point to Humphrey. At the same time, I want to see Dan come to terms with the fact that he is no longer the outsider he always prides himself on being and embrace the fact that he likes having a limo and a black card, perhaps even more than Blair does. So many entertaining possibilities with this friendship.

sasha fierce

sasha fierce

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 4:59 AM

Can't stand Vanessa but her reaction to the Dair friendship will be very interesting.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 1:35 AM

Oh man, there's a scene on YouTube that dairshipper posted where Dan was talking to Blair on the phone and had to toss Vanessa aside in order to attend to business and Vanessa was like, "You're talking to BLAIR???" with that snarly thing that she does that's so annoying. (Sorry, tried to find the scene but can't remember which it was.) I imagine V's reaction to a Dair relationship would be that scene magnified 100000000x times.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 11:31 AM

Oh man, there's a scene on YouTube that dairshipper posted where Dan was talking to Blair on the phone and had to toss Vanessa aside in order to attend to business

I found it.

And because I have nothing better to do at the moment, I found other scenes where Vanessa is appalled with Dan and Blair's quasi-friendship if I can even call it that.

At the beginning of season 3, Blair and Dan were plotting against Carter to help Serena. Vanessa was pissed.

Dan admitting that Blair isn't so bad and Vanessa is baffled.

This scene is quite funny and very telling. Vanessa would rather want Dan to hook up with Georgina than with Blair.

So yeah, it's safe to assume that she will be losing her mind over Dair even if they don't hook-up and simply remain friends. I only want Vanessa back to see her reaction alone. It's going to be priceless.

Edited by Lunathick, Feb 12, 2011 @ 11:41 AM.