Jennifer Lopez: Been around the block

• Please log in to reply

115 replies to this topic

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 1:57 AM

I know I'm supposed to hate her. But surprisingly so far... I don't. At least one episode in. I'm guessing her acting talent is covering up all the horrible diva-ism we're supposed to expect. I guess that's all happening off-camera.

Also, she's not simply channeling Paula, even though she's filling the "nice one" niche. I was impressed she actually remembers people from the show, although it might get old if she brings that up for all of the returnees.

clementine81

clementine81

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 3:13 AM

I think that she's sincerely nice, i actually never saw her come out any other way, but then if your read tabloids it's an other story.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 6:12 AM

she's not simply channeling Paula, even though she's filling the "nice one" niche.

I think she can be a good judge, but to make this gig work, Jlo will have to develops a thicker skin. Otherwise she will turn into a Paula redux and no one will respect her opinion. They are paying her a saviour's salary (more than Randy I hear) and the show is kinda on the ropes anyway. She had better start producing more substantive evaluations or be prepared to become the next AI punchline.

mshepnj

mshepnj

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 8:19 AM

I think JLo is both a Diva and nice - exactly like Paula. Paula was "difficult" to work with in certain respects, made a lot of demands (which finally lead to her contract not being renewed) but she was genuinely nice to the contestants and trying to help them. I think Jennifer is probably the same.

So far, I think she needs a little backbone but I expect that will come in time. After weeks of the same bullshit. For now, she can be the nice judge and I'm okay with that. I would like to hear some substance to her comments which I know she's capable of - having seen her mentor in season 6.

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 2:19 PM

I know I'm supposed to hate her. But surprisingly so far... I don't. At least one episode in. I'm guessing her acting talent is covering up all the horrible diva-ism we're supposed to expect. I guess that's all happening off-camera. -WileyCoyote

I don’t understand this – Does Jennifer Lopez have a reputation for being extremely nasty and difficult to work with? I remember her mentoring stint a few years back and I thought she was one of the best mentors Idol ever had. She gave good, solid, constructive feedback that the contestants could use during their performances.

From what I’ve seen of Lopez over the years (which admittedly isn’t much since I do not read gossip magazines or watch entertainment type shows) is that she’s mellowed quite a bit; I think being married and having children have put some things in perspective. I think her a genuinely nice person who wants to help the contestants.

I’m sure that once the heard is dwindled to workable numbers (top 10/12) Lopez will get over her difficulty of saying “no” or being “mean” to the contestants (though not so much mean as forthright).

As an aside, I thought she looked stunning – hasn’t looked that good in a few years. Good for her.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

I don’t understand this – Does Jennifer Lopez have a reputation for being extremely nasty and difficult to work with?

The tabloids last year had ALL kinds of horror stories about her alleged behind the scenes "demands" and diva-behavior on the Idol set.

As an aside, I thought she looked stunning – hasn’t looked that good in a few years. Good for her.

Yes, she looked gorgeous. She certainly doesn't look 41--she could pass for 33.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 7:15 PM

Yes, she looked gorgeous. She certainly doesn't look 41--she could pass for 33.

Seriously? She's 41? I'm a big fan, but I had no idea. I thought she was in her mid 20s in the late 90s, and by seeing her on the show I would guess 35 at most. She looked absolutely amazing.

I really like her as a judge. Maybe she played the "saying no is so hard!" thing just a bit too much, but they dropped it mid-episode which I think was good. I think she'll get better with time - compared to Steven, whose antics (which are funny at the moment) will start to grate soon.

I also love watching her react to the singing or Randy's inane comments. Her "WTF"-faces weren't over the top or cartoonish like previous judges', and they were so much funnier.

I don't know, I didn't have very high expectations, so I'm very pleasantly surprised. I just wish we had Katy Perry sitting next to her. Jennifer's sweetness needs to be balanced out by "This is not a Lifetime movie, sweetheart."

MrsSwim

MrsSwim

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

I think she is a great addition. The woman knows the business. Some of her comments tonight showed why they brought her in. So far, I like her.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 9:58 AM

I would like to hear some substance to her comments which I know she's capable of - having seen her mentor in season 6.

That's why I thought she would be a great judge, but so far - not so much. Jenny seems to be more interested in remaining popular than being a good judge. She will have to choose what kind of judge she wants to be soon or risk losing credibility. She doesn't want to be Simon, but she doesn't want to be Paula either. And the elusive middle ground of judging (saying no nicely) is hard to get to.

Edited by Double Down, Jan 22, 2011 @ 5:06 AM.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 11:08 AM

She seems to be doing fine right now. I am hoping that she provides more feedback to folks during the Hollywood round.

clementine81

clementine81

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 3:32 AM

I found this backstage story from someone who worked with her,really interesting she really seem to be a sweetheart to work with but her manager is an ass, i wonder if all the tabloids story aren't thing he does but then they blame her. Well she got him back after firing him so she must be ok to work with someone like that.

http://inesligron.co...tage-story.html

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 3:24 AM

She looks great and she seems to be behaving herself, much to her credit. The problem is she's *too* nice and it appears she's more interested in trying to make/keep fans than she is in being an effective judge. She needs more backbone.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 6:59 PM

I don’t understand this – Does Jennifer Lopez have a reputation for being extremely nasty and difficult to work with?

YEARS ago my sister worked with her for a couple of months. She (JL) was a world class bitch. BUT - so was my sister and come to think of it so was I. Since then I have matured and would hate to be judged by my behavior as a twenty year old living in Los Angeles. Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

In any case, I'm inclined to believe she (JL) too has softened and the lovely woman I see on screen is genuine.

On a shallow note, I think 'flowing hair, sweet, smiling' Jennifer Lopez is much more beautiful than 'hair pulled back tight, smizing at an industry event' JLo.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 2:46 AM

Jenny is apparently no longer welcome on "the block".

"American Idol" served up a gritty portrayal of the borough as a litter-strewn urban badland during its Wednesday show.

"There wasn't even a peep from her defending the Boogie Down," groused Diaz. "Here, we have a young lady sitting at the panel, someone brought up in Castle Hill, someone to whom the Bronx offered plenty of opportunities, and she did not say a word.

"Not a peep. Not even a peep!"

This Diaz guy comes off like a fool in that though, talking about how Lopez should have spoken up during her judging to "defend" The Bronx, after Idol showed some run down parts of it on the broadcast. Because... you know. On Diaz' imaginary version of the Idol show, Jennifer apparently actually had to have seen that "B roll" footage at the time they filmed her. Obviously it must have been playing on a big screen behind that contestant when he walked out for the audition, right Mr. Diaz?

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

This Diaz guy comes off like a fool in that though, talking about how Lopez should have spoken up during her judging to "defend" The Bronx, after Idol showed some run down parts of it on the broadcast.

I don't blame Diaz for feeling dissed and exploited, but that's what IDOL does best - diss and exploit people.

Jennifer probably has no editing rights, so whatever is shown on-air is out of her control.

They are paying Jenny to be a judge - not a community activist. They are paying her a king's ransom to do this job so obviously she has bought into this bullshit. What makes Diaz think she is suddenly going to stop drinking the kool-aid? There is no way she can rock the boat without risking her top dollar job. The second she tries to bite the hand that feeds her she will be out on her well-rounded ass.

Jenny is paid and livin' large. Diaz can protest all he wants but I hope he doesn't expect any help from her.

Edited by Double Down, Jan 25, 2011 @ 5:42 AM.

RoisinD

RoisinD

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 4:42 AM

The thing is, a lot of the Bronx DOES look like that. The kid was living in a shelter - why would they show images of one of the nicer parts of the borough like Riverdale? The area Jennifer comes from isn't the nicest, either, so I don't see why she would feel the need to 'defend' anything. And anyway, there's virtually no chance that she saw the footage during the audition. This Diaz guy is making a mountain out of a molehill.

YEARS ago my sister worked with her for a couple of months. She (JL) was a world class bitch.

I've heard plenty of stories like that and as they say, there's no smoke without fire. However, I think there's also no way she could come across as that sweet and empathetic if she were an awful person. I'm sure she has her good and bad days like everyone else but having kids has probably softened her a lot. I'm enjoying seeing another side to her on Idol, her expressions are priceless and she has great chemisty with the other judges. And she looks so incredibly beautiful. I'm pleasantly surprised - I thought she would be awful.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 6:27 AM

The thing is, a lot of the Bronx DOES look like that. The kid was living in a shelter - why would they show images of one of the nicer parts of the borough like Riverdale?

That may have been Diaz' point. Most of the television images we see from the Bronx tend to be negative. Diaz wanted people to know there are decent areas in the Bronx and the IDOL national platform would have been a rare opportunity to display the borough in a more positive light. Instead TPTB (predictably) took the low road and exploited the story to suit their purposes.

And with his homegirl Jenny on the judges panel Diaz fully expected her to 'represent' and defend the community that has probably supported and defended her all this time. While it is possible that all this could have happened outside her sphere of influence, she almost certainly knows about the situation by now. Either way, she will probably just keep her mouth shut and cash the paychecks. If Diaz continues to escalate the situation she may go so far as to issue some perfunctory press statement to placate Diaz and the Bronx community, but that's as far as I see it going.

Edited by Double Down, Jan 25, 2011 @ 6:30 AM.

RoisinD

RoisinD

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 8:34 AM

That may have been Diaz' point. Most of the television images we see from the Bronx tend to be negative. Diaz wanted people to know there are decent areas in the Bronx and the IDOL national platform would have been a rare opportunity to display the borough in a more positive light. Instead TPTB (predictably) took the low road and exploited the story to suit their purposes.

But...why? This kid is from a disadvantaged area. That's the entire point. The fact there are some nice areas in the Bronx is irrelevant because the kid doesn't live in any of them. If he had been from a bad part of Chicago, LA, Miami, wherever, I'm sure they would have shown that. I don't think Idol exploited anyone or anything in this case. I think they showed the area where the kid lived. Including shots of manicured lawns in Riverdale just to placate people like Diaz would have been ridiculous, IMO. That's not this kid's reality. If he were actually from a very nice neighborhood and they showed crumbling projects, then yes, that would have been sketchy.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

IDOL is supposed to be a singing competition, yet they shamelessly use backstories about poverty, dysfunctional familes, sick kids, and in general focus on the misery of others to keep veiwers tuned in. They do it all the time. IDOL will probably just use this poor Homeless Bronx Singer for a while and then dump him right back in that same shelter. And TPTB will quickly move on to exploit someone else's miserable life for a few extra rating points. And the band plays on.

Diaz probably knows how the IDOL machine works and decided to call them on their bullshit. Show the poverty if you must, but how about a little more balance? Show a few images of people who are trying to improve the community so the whole country doesn't think the Bronx is a total urban wasteland.

IMO this situation may blow over, but there are more challenges ahead for Jenny. She is going to be faced with more ethical dilemnas as the Bronx and Latino communities will probably expect her to have their back.

Edited by Double Down, Jan 25, 2011 @ 3:16 PM.

RoisinD

RoisinD

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 5:59 PM

I just don't really think it's Jennifer's job to defend the Bronx all the time, but I can see why it would be an issue.

I'm really liking Jennifer on Idol. She really does have a lot of personality, a lot more than comes across in her interviews. There's also something slightly awkward or shy about her that I never noticed before, like she seems self conscious making jokes in case nobody laughs or something. There's a lot more to her than I thought. Although, sometimes a little bit of obnoxious comes through (like when she interrupts and/or talks over the other judges) and reminds me why I didn't like her before. Overall, though, it's a pleasant surprise.

JillCat

JillCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 11:44 PM

I think she's a great judge so far. She seemed to get over her fear of saying 'no' rather quickly, and she gives honest reasons when someone's okay but not all that great. She interacts well with both Randy and Steven (though I get the feeling she likes Steven better) and she's way more coherent than Paula on her best days. I think she's a great addition to the panel.

blackfield

blackfield

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

i agree with jillcat.
loved it when both of her and tyler had a front unision against randy when both criticized him for insulting the auditioners. when she told randy it is enough to just say no and dont rub in the people faces and when tyler told him not to say the auditioners they are not good.
enough of the abuse!

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2011 @ 8:34 AM

loved it when both of her and tyler had a front unision against randy when both criticized him for insulting the auditioners. when she told randy it is enough to just say no and dont rub in the people faces and when tyler told him not to say the auditioners they are not good.

Yes, she has her generous moments, but she knows how to be blunt too. I noticed her blunt side when she strongly advised Tyler against giving the contestants false hope when he told them to "keep practicing". She said something like; "Don't have them waste their time - or mine either". Wow! Sounds like Jenny's sweet facade is slowly melting, along with her patience. Little by little, the claws are starting to come out.

Edited by Double Down, Jan 30, 2011 @ 8:35 AM.

RoisinD

RoisinD

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2011 @ 9:15 AM

Yes, she has her generous moments, but she knows how to be blunt too. I noticed her blunt side when she strongly advised Tyler against giving the contestants false hope when he told them to "keep practicing". She said something like; "Don't have them waste their time - or mine either". Wow! Sounds like Jenny's sweet facade is slowly melting, along with her patience. Little by little, the claws are starting to come out.

I don't think she said that. I think she said no, and then said something like, 'We don't wanna waste their time - or ours!" Which is pretty truthful. I don't remember her ever being big on tact but I think her bluntness is a good thing when Steven is always too nice and Randy is being an ass for the sake of it. I don't think she has much patience for the obvious joke auditions or rude people like Vernika. I don't doubt that she laid the sweetness on thick in the first few shows, but I also think she genuinely doesn't like being mean or hurting feelings. It will be interesting to see how she is on the live shows.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2011 @ 1:56 PM

I don't think she said that. I think she said no, and then said something like, 'We don't wanna waste their time - or ours!"

There is nothing wrong with telling a contestant to keep practicing. Queen Jennifer may be in a position to reject people from AI, but it is not her place to imply that someone has no future in the entertainment business. There are lots of people working in the music industry who don't have great singing voices - in fact she is one of them. She is nothing special as a performer herself, and wouldn't even be in the game save for a few lucky breaks.

RoisinD

RoisinD

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

There is nothing wrong with telling a contestant to keep practicing. Queen Jennifer may be in a position to reject people from AI, but it is not her place to imply that someone has no future in the entertainment business. There are lots of people working in the music industry who don't have great singing voices - in fact she is one of them. She is nothing special as a performer herself, and wouldn't even be in the game save for a few lucky breaks.

Unless I misunderstood, that comment was a justification of their 'no' vote - they said no because she didn't want to waste the contestants or the judges' time. I didn't think she was addressing Steven's 'keep practicing' comment. You could be right, though. If so, then yeah, it's pretty bitchy.

bluroses

bluroses

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 5:26 PM

Unless I misunderstood, that comment was a justification of their 'no' vote - they said no because she didn't want to waste the contestants or the judges' time. I didn't think she was addressing Steven's 'keep practicing' comment.

That's how I interpreted it, RoisinD.

clementine81

clementine81

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 4:04 AM

Unless I misunderstood, that comment was a justification of their 'no' vote - they said no because she didn't want to waste the contestants or the judges' time. I didn't think she was addressing Steven's 'keep practicing' comment. You could be right, though. If so, then yeah, it's pretty bitchy.

yeah she wasn't responding to Tyler's comment like you said it was a justification of their 'no' vote.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 6:10 AM

My understanding is that JLO initially made her "don't waste our time" comment in response to Steven's "keep practicing" comment. Of course, her comment could have also served as a justification of their "NO" vote too.

With that said, it's no secret the producers routinely put bad contestants in front of the big three just for laughs. So if JLO doesn't want her precious time to be wasted she should ask the producers to stop putting bad singers through to the TV auditions. Of course, the producers will probably tell her to cash her huge checks and keep her trap shut.

The bad contestants are clearly just being used for comic relief. IMO Tyler was just trying to help them leave with some measure of their dignity still intact.

mshepnj

mshepnj

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2011 @ 8:15 AM

Eh, I think Jennifer seems genuinely pretty sweet (to the contestants) but how many awful and obviously fake auditioners can one listen to without feeling like it's a waste of time for all concerned? I'd get cranky too.

Is it kinder to feed delusion or not? I don't know. I appreciate that Steven cares about the dignity of the auditioners, but maybe the truly delusional should not be told to keep practicing because no amount of practice will get them what they want. Seriously, if Jennifer and the other judges have to listen to the stream of auditioners who (a) were intentionally put through to be laughed at, and (b) will never sing well enough to do more than sing in the shower, why encourage them to think that if they keep practicing they're going to make it?

Edited by mshepnj, Feb 4, 2011 @ 8:16 AM.