Steven Tyler: Crazy...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

101 replies to this topic

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 1:52 AM

Was I the only one having trouble deciphering Tyler's expressions? You know. Because his face can't move anymore...

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 6:39 AM

Just a thought....are they paying him in booze and pills?

mshepnj

mshepnj

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 8:22 AM

Steven has already amped up the entertainment value - a year after the snooze-fest, phoned in stylings of Simon, the unfunny bitchery of Kara, the fish out of water Ellen and the roboRandy so he's okay in my book. He makes me laugh - with him, and that's a good start as far as I'm concerned. He's a goofball, a little inappropriate and I love his ridiculous fashion sense. It sure beats a gray t-shirt every week.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

Having Steven Tyler judge young hot 20-something girls in a singing competition may have been both the best and worst idea Fox has ever had. He was being such a creeper in the first episode, but there was still something so lovable and sweet about him.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 10:26 AM

I don't watch AI, but can I suggest "Dude Looks Like a Lady" as the thread title?

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:21 AM

Steven is going to need to have several PA's around him at all times just to remind him that he is not allowed to hiton, flirt, or try anything with the female contestants. And it is going to be really creepy if he starts focusing on the 16 year olds.

Other then that, I liked him. I thought that he had some good comments, wasn't dicking around, and wasn't afraid of saying no but didn't do so in a totally cruel way. I do think he will be more then willing to break out some not so nice comments to contestants that are not willing to take no.

He should be really interesting when we get to Hollywood week.

lelu

lelu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 12:22 PM

I adore him. He's got a great voice, a big personality, knows his stuff and seems to want to be there, which is more than I could say for Cowell last year. And I like that every one of these people is a performer - Simon had a good ear for sales, but he had no idea what that experience is like to be on the other side of that table. Even Kara, who does, couldn't help but admit that she was listening for dollar signs.

Tyler, though...if they can keep him from leching on the kinder, like you said, ProfCrash, he's gonna be gold.

dejablue

dejablue

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

I thought Tyler was the best part of it last night. When he YoDawged the Dawg, I thought I'd fall right out of my chair.

mshepnj

mshepnj

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

Having Steven Tyler judge young hot 20-something girls in a singing competition may have been both the best and worst idea Fox has ever had. He was being such a creeper in the first episode, but there was still something so lovable and sweet about him.

He reminds me of an old neighbor of ours, who was about 60 (and totally looked 70), occasionally drank to much at the yard parties and started flirting with and making inappropriately personal... observations about the ladies (all ages) of the neighborhood. The typical response was an eyeroll and head shake or an embarrased smile rather than indignance, because he was a truly nice and gererous soul who everyone liked and whom everyone knew was completely harmless except for his inappropriate beer-fueled comments. So, Steven is officially the dirty ol' man of Idol - except apparently he gets high on life and doesn't need the beer-fuel. I think he's probably harmless, but he needs to remember that most of these girls are young enough to be his granddaughters.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 1:26 PM

I do think he will be more then willing to break out some not so nice comments to contestants that are not willing to take no.

My jury is still out on Tyler, but someone will have to play the big bad wolf on occasion. If he's the one - cool ... as long as he can let people down gently. Otherwise this cast of judges will be a joke. Jlo doesn't seem too soft-hearted to play the heavy and Randy is more of a mid-level part-time bad guy.

cubbieblue

cubbieblue

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 1:35 PM

Steven is going to need to have several PA's around him at all times just to remind him that he is not allowed to hiton, flirt, or try anything with the female contestants. And it is going to be really creepy if he starts focusing on the 16 year olds.

Agree. Creepy is exactly how I described him. And he made Simon look like a real softy. Not sure I am going to be able to look at/listen to him all season.....

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

So, Steven is officially the dirty ol' man of Idol - except apparently he gets high on life and doesn't need the beer-fuel. I think he's probably harmless, but he needs to remember that most of these girls are young enough to be his granddaughters.

The way I see it he's been a rock star for so long and has had so many young groupies flirting with him that he doesn't know what's inappropriate or not. I mean back in the early 90's he had his own teenage daugher dancing on a stripper pole, among other sex-kittenish type of things, in one of his videos. He may at times say something that's kind of creepy but ultimately I think he has the best of intentions and seems to be concerned about actually finding someone who can sing rather than someone who just will sell records.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 5:13 PM

I don't watch AI, but can I suggest "Dude Looks Like a Lady" as the thread title?

I considered it. But "Crazy" encompasses SO much both good and bad about him.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 5:36 PM

A Lady what?..... Llama? lol

MrsSwim

MrsSwim

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

I loved him. He knows his business. When he was drumming on the table and adding some vocals to the one guy's audition, I really saw what a musician brings to the table. He knows when someone has something going.

I think he actually brings more to the table than Simon.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

You are right, MrsSwim. He intently watches and listens to each contestant rather than turning away looking bored. He is taking this seriously in his own crazy way.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

He intently watches and listens to each contestant rather than turning away looking bored. He is taking this seriously in his own crazy way.

I'll agree that he takes the gig seriously. What's missing are the right words to break down and evaluate the contestants. Why do you like or not like a particular contestant? Enlighten us - please. Not just picking on Tyler, none of the current crop of judges seem to offer opinions that mean very much.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 11:15 AM

The way I see it he's been a rock star for so long and has had so many young groupies flirting with him that he doesn't know what's inappropriate or not. I mean back in the early 90's he had his own teenage daugher dancing on a stripper pole, among other sex-kittenish type of things, in one of his videos. He may at times say something that's kind of creepy but ultimately I think he has the best of intentions and seems to be concerned about actually finding someone who can sing rather than someone who just will sell records.

100% agree. Which is why he needs a couple of PAs with him at all times to remind him what he is and is not allowed to do. He is used to being able to do what he wants, when he wants, and how he wants with minimal consequences. If he behaves in stereotypical Rock Star fashion to the wrong contestant he is in for a world of hurt.

I am liking him. I know some have found the drumming and singing along to be annoying but I think it is just his enjoying being a musician. He hears a beat and he wants to play with it and sing. Eventually he will have to stop doing that, by the live shows I would think, but for now it shows me that he is involved and listening to the singer.

I thought his behavior was more subdued last night. That could be editing. It could be that the PAs were assigned to him and were reminding him that he could not comment on the hemline of a 16 year old skirt. It could be that he got the first day on the job jitters out and figured out what he was doing.

Is it scary that I kind of find him sexy when he has his glasses on? I mean, I know it is scary because nothing about him is sexy, but the glasses are just kind of cute.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 11:52 AM

It could be that the PAs were assigned to him and were reminding him that he could not comment on the hemline of a 16 year old skirt.

Again, though, it goes to editing. We get 41 minutes out of hours and hours and hours of footage. The editors CHOSE to show us that hemline remark. At one time this show prided itself on being "family friendly" but it's gotten less so each year and this year they've abandoned that altogether I think. Not just by hiring Tyler, but showing his "little hat" joke, his hemline comment, his fuck a duck comment - this is what they obviously WANT from him. I would think their only concern will be with the FCC when they go live. Tyler has said they won't tape-delay him, but that's not going to happen. Somebody's going to need to be very quick on the bleeper button because as a reformed potty-mouth I can attest that it's a very, very hard habit to break.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 12:51 PM

Why couldn't he have been judging when Gokey screamed on?

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

Fully agree that it is editting.

I actually think that the hemline comment was meant to point out that this young teenage girl was so perfectly prepared that she had a skirt on that showed enough leg to be interesting but no so much as to be naughty. It fit with the rest of projected personality. Smiley, bubbly, well groomed, pagent perfect. Right down to the hemline.

I can also see where other people would take it differently and tie it into the clips of his flirting with female contestants. I don't think that what thye have shown is dangerous but I do think that they know that they are going to have to make sure Steven knows that it cannot go past what we have seen.

Every year on Gordon Ramsey's shows there are female contestants who try and flirt with him. On MasterChef there was a female soccer player who challenged Gordon to a match. He played along and then booted her butt because the food was not good. God knows that Steven's flirting is more tame then what we have seen from Paula and Kara with some male contestants. It is far more tame then some of the comments that Randy and Simon have made about female contestants.

The problem for Steven is that he has that rock and roll image and an interesting enough history that a contestant could potentially exploit his past with current flirting and make a huge issue out of nothing just to get money. Idol has to know that. So I think we will see less of the flirting from Steven because of the editors cutting it but also because someone is going to be reminding him that he cannot get away with it on this show.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

I'm old enough to remember Aerosmith when they were first popular. And I've loathed them the entire time. I just can't stand that screechy, big hair, inflated emotion rock. But I just saw ST on some documentary on how the body works (he was in the voice box segment) and I could see he's a serious musician and what I've seen in the first two episodes confirms that. Color me shocked!

Besides, Simon leered at pretty girls too. Somehow it felt grosser with him.

It just seems a shame there isn't a rocker performer yet for him to give some helpful input on. So far, it's all been this vacuous running up and down the scales pop crap. Sort of ironic that the coffee shop set, so unsuited for Simon, was last season and his comfort zone, pop music, seems to be back this season, and isn't a great fit for Tyler.

VincentV

VincentV

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 2:47 PM

I love Tyler since the time I heard my first Aerosmith record and he brings something new and interesting to the judge's table. I just don't think he's in any way Simon's replacement and the show needs someone who can dismiss delusional contestants.

Edited by VincentV, Jan 24, 2011 @ 2:48 PM.

PurpleHayze

PurpleHayze

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 3:14 PM

I liked Steven very much. I thought that he'd tell it like it is and he did. I think he will emerge as the most respected judge. JMO.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 6:47 AM

Tyler has said they won't tape-delay him, but that's not going to happen.

Whether they tape delay him or not, if he says something outrageous during the live performances, the word will get out. I'm not hoping for it, but don't be surprised if we end up with some Tyler-gate scandals this season.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 2:40 AM

Whether they tape delay him or not, if he says something outrageous during the live performances, the word will get out. I'm not hoping for it, but don't be surprised if we end up with some Tyler-gate scandals this season.

Which is probably exactly what the show runners want. The raunchier the better. If they have to bleep him they'll want you to understand what he said - the thing is, though, if, let's say, he blurts the *f* word and there's not tape delay, the show will get fined. If they bleep it they get to controversy but don't have to pay a fine.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 10:02 AM

the thing is, though, if, let's say, he blurts the *f* word and there's not tape delay, the show will get fined. If they bleep it they get to controversy but don't have to pay a fine.

I doubt it would get on air even with the live shows. Isn't there a 7 second delay for the live Idol shows?

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

I doubt it would get on air even with the live shows. Isn't there a 7 second delay for the live Idol shows?

that's what we were talking about. I read an article with ST where he said there would *not* be a delay and my comment was that there was no way that was going to happen.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

Which is probably exactly what the show runners want. The raunchier the better. If they have to bleep him they'll want you to understand what he said - the thing is, though, if, let's say, he blurts the *f* word and there's not tape delay, the show will get fined. If they bleep it they get to controversy but don't have to pay a fine.

Yeah, IDOL seems to thrive on controversy anyway. Maybe a few well placed f-bombs from Tyler will earn them some free publicity.

Edited by Double Down, Jan 26, 2011 @ 4:33 PM.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 6:56 AM

Aerosmith, with Steven's snake-like performance, always made my skin crawl. I shuddered with loathing over the videos.

Now, I laugh every minute he's on screen and just want to squeeze his adorable little self?

Have I gone over to the dark side?