Series: Batman Films

• Please log in to reply

229 replies to this topic

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

Burton, Schumacher, Nolan...let's make this thread all-purpose.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 11:39 PM

Does this include any of the animated movies of Batman such as Under The Red Hood, or Mask Of Phantasm[/b]?

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

Sure, why not. It's Batman right? Besides, I'd probably put MotP as the #2 best Batman film behind Begins.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

I'm more partial to Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. That's gotta be one of my favorite Batman movies of all time.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 5:50 PM

I'm more partial to Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. That's gotta be one of my favorite Batman movies of all time.

Cosign! I love everything about that movie: plot, visuals, characters, voice actors, etc. There is nothing bad about it for me. LOVE!

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

I don't know. RotJ was ok. The flashback to what happened with Robin and Joker was great, and I admit the mystery of how Joker came back was nice, but it didn't feel like a real Batman movie to me.

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 10:17 AM

I think Mask of the Phantasm is THE best Batman film. Begins is close though.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

ROJ was very very disturbing, even for a cartoon. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but yeah, creeped me out. Mark Hamill was a fantastic Joker, btw.

Now, onto the live action. I still like the Tim Burton movies, but every time I compare them to the Christopher Nolan ones, I think: "Wow, this guy went to places even Burton didn't go!"

The one weak link in those movies was Rachel Dawes. I hated that character, and I blame that on Katie Holmes. As a good friend of mine put it, she can't act, she can't sing, and every time I see, I'm reminded of Dawson's Creek. I didn't hate her as much as I hated Kirsten Dunst's MJ in Spider-Man, but I hated her enough. At the end of Batman Begins, when she told Bruce that they couldn't be together as long as he was Batman, I just went, "Whatever, Joey Potter. Go back to pining over Dawson and Pacey and let a real woman have a go at Batman." And while we're on that part, going over to the Dark Knight, she shouldn't have made the tentative promise about them getting back together when Batman wasn't needed anymore if she didn't really intend move on, date other people. Just sayin'

Maggie Gyllenhaall was way better in The Dark Knight; I liked it a lot better that she genuinely did love Harvey Dent, and wasn't using him to get back at Bruce -- unlike SOME superhero girlfriends we know. I actually did get kind of sad that she got blown up, although props go to Nolan for having the nads to kill off the love interest. And a small, sadistic part of me regrets that it was Maggie's Rachel that died, and not Katie's.

Heath Ledger's Joker. What's to say that hasn't been already said? Sheer brilliance. I wish he lived to see how much everybody appreciated his performance.

Super excited for the next movie, especially when it's just been announced that Anne Hathaway will be Selina/Catwoman. It's a surprise, sure, but she's a good actress and I'm looking forward to see a stronger female character. Nobody will out-crazy Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman, of course. But if Heath could do it...

Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 3:45 PM

The animated films really are in a category of their own. Trying to compare them to the live action flicks is like measuring apples and oranges, IMO.

The two Burton films have their moments, but Burton really isn't an "action" director, and the first film, especially, seems woefully artificial. The sets just look like a sound stage, and not even a very big one at that. The Nolan films feel far more like a real world.

Schumacher's 2 efforts are obviously awful, the 2nd one hilariously so. Herr Gropenfurher simply is not an actor. Bane gets the best line in the film: (in loud, retarded voice): "BOMB!!!! BOMB!!! BOMB!!!!" etc....as he plants bombs! Heh, heh. Eeessshh.

Nolan's works are very definitely the best of the bunch, and I'm curious to see how the next one turns out. I like Anne Hathaway, and hope she can pull off playing a character like Selina Kyle. (I never saw this "Havoc" movie mentioned in the other thread, so I can't judge a potential performance based on that.) Nolan's casting for the baddies has been pitch perfect thus far, but the women in his series has also been his one weak spot, so his version of Catwoman could go either way. I'll admit that has me concerned; His Bane, on the other hand, should be excellent. I'm sure Tom Hardy can pull it off. I expect we'll see him portrayed as someone with enhanced strength and an imperviousness to pain due to the Venom drug, just without the cartoon-y, Hulk-like, overmuscled form. (And maybe without the Mexican wrestler mask.) That might actually make the character a lot more menacing.

The only real surprises about the choice of villains for the upcoming film is that I was certain I heard Nolan say in some interview that Catwoman/Selina Kyle would definitely not be one of them...but this sort of little white lie is acceptable when it comes to misleading the public in the lead-up to filming, one supposes. I don't mind being surprised. I was also sure I heard something to the effect that he wanted to use a villain who'd never previously made it to the silver screen, and Bane's been in both the animated series (including one of the films) and the aforementioned shitfest, Batman and Robin. I was very curious to see how Nolan intended to handle an entirely untouched character...but maybe bane comes close enough.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

I was also sure I heard something to the effect that he wanted to use a villain who'd never previously made it to the silver screen, and Bane's been in both the animated series (including one of the films) and the aforementioned shitfest, Batman and Robin

Maybe he's blocked Batman and Robin from his memory? I know I try to.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

Nolan's casting for the baddies has been pitch perfect thus far, but the women in his series has also been his one weak spot

I haven't seen a whole lot of Nolan's other work to know whether or not all of his female characters are this bad or if the problem is that the part was just miscast in the first place.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

I haven't seen a whole lot of Nolan's other work to know whether or not all of his female characters are this bad or if the problem is that the part was just miscast in the first place.

The Prestige's two female characters were much better than any of the main females in the Batman series. I much preferred Rebecca Hall to Scarlett Johansson, though.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

The animated films really are in a category of their own. Trying to compare them to the live action flicks is like measuring apples and oranges, IMO.

I don't see why. Both types of films have directors, writers, actors and editors. The animated films in general have a better Batman record IMO than the live action ones. Under the Red Hood, Return of the Joker, and Mask of the Phantasm could easily given The Dark Knight a run for their money in my book on how well they portray Batman and his world.

Kuranda

Kuranda

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 9:20 PM

The only real surprises about the choice of villains for the upcoming film is that I was certain I heard Nolan say in some interview that Catwoman/Selina Kyle would definitely not be one of them...but this sort of little white lie is acceptable when it comes to misleading the public in the lead-up to filming, one supposes.

Heh. Good point. I guess to be technical she's more anti-hero than outright villain. Burton had a Catwoman who was a villain I suppose (but also supernatural, driven crazy, and really just looking for revenge); I could be wrong, it's a long time since I have seen that one. Considering what Bane has the potential to be, Batman will have enough to deal with on the "evil" side of things.

Bale and Hathaway, huh? We know they screen tested together so I confess I am intrigued. Hopefully Selina will at least be more fun than Rachael...not that it will be hard.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 9:43 AM

The only real surprises about the choice of villains for the upcoming film is that I was certain I heard Nolan say in some interview that Catwoman/Selina Kyle would definitely not be one of them

Anyone know if Hathaway has signed on for just one movie, or is she in for a multiple movie deal? I mean is it possible that she only shows up as Selina Kyle in this one and then becomes Catwoman in a potential Batman 4?

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 8:42 PM

I don't see why. Both types of films have directors, writers, actors and editors. The animated films in general have a better Batman record IMO than the live action ones. Under the Red Hood, Return of the Joker, and Mask of the Phantasm could easily given The Dark Knight a run for their money in my book on how well they portray Batman and his world.

To be fair, it's easier to make an epic story in animation because stunts and visuals don't cost as much.

I'm not too crazy about yet another Catwoman story but I get why they are doing it. It seems like Nolan is taking the two villains from Schumacher's movies that got the biggest shaft and are trying to do them justice.

As for Burton's movies, BR grows on you after awhile. I remember not liking it much at first because it felt like it was less Batman and more everyone else. But this Batman is actually in a pretty dark place. He's alone and isolated. He sits in the dark with nothing but time on his hands, waiting for the signal. That is pretty much what Batman has become in the comics.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 8:59 PM

I'm not wild about Burton's presentation of Catwoman because she really doesn't resemble Selina or Catwoman at all. Selina is usually the classy philanthropist with a focus on feline causes. As Catwoman she is a thief who steals from the super rich while they sleep to further fund the causes that she cares about. She can kick ass and take names without breaking a nail (often against Batman), but ultimately she avoids the hassle of violence. What Burton presented was a catshit crazy, back from the dead, secretary whose only goal was revenge. Now, Pheiffer had a ball with the role and made her fun to watch, but that was not Catwoman.

If Nolan stays faithful to who the character is supposed to be, then Anne should have nothing to worry about and enjoy herself.

Edited by scarynikki12, Jan 24, 2011 @ 9:00 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

It makes sense to do another Catwoman story because like the Joker she is a very popular character from the comics. Also, the last time we saw the character in a film was Halle Berry's awful movie in which the only thing that made her Catwoman was the outfit. A horrible one at that. She wasn't even named Selina Kyle nor was her backstory similar to any of Catwoman's orgin stories in the comics.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

Warner has announced they're releasing a Blu-Ray version of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Now the question remains if it is going to be the edited PG version, the unedited PG-13 version, or both. I grew up on the PG one not realizing there had been some big changes made at the last second. When I first saw the movie on toonami, I thought it was a bit anti-climatic but then years later I saw the unedited version and it was far more gratifying.

ETA: Nevermind. Turns out it is the PG-13 version they're rereleasing. Looks exactly the same as the DVD just as Blu-Ray.

Edited by Tableau, Jan 26, 2011 @ 11:01 PM.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Turns out Youtube has MotP. The opening score is by far the best opening of any Batman movie.

Geeni

Geeni

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

So I read a rumor that Robin Williams is playing Dr. Strange? Not sure if it's true. I could see it, though.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

That one's been around for a while but it isn't true. I recently read it again in an article where Bale states that he'd be down for a fourth movie if Nolan was also up for it and then Williams as Strange got brought up again. I think RW just really wants to be in a Batman movie and he and his people are probably hoping that if they perpetuate the rumor it'll come true. He should wait for the next reboot, cause I doubt Nolan will want to go past three and even if he does I can't see him picking Dr. Strange for the universe he created.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

He should wait for the next reboot, cause I doubt Nolan will want to go past three and even if he does I can't see him picking Dr. Strange for the universe he created.

I don't know, this is just pure speculation but I can see a scenario where Nolan does Batman 4. I mean like it was mentioned above Bale would be into it. Plus I read that Nolan signed on for 3 batman movies, which means that what he gets paid for Dark Knight Rises would have been determined before Batman Begins came out. If he decided to make Batman 4 he could negotiate a new deal, and while he is probably already really rich, it could potentailly be an order of magnitnute more money.

Plus on top of money there is all kinds of other things Warner could offer, the kind of things that could set him up as a new Speilberg (they could give him his own production company on the Warner lot, and they could basically agree to greenlight anything he presents to them and have complete creative control). I mean Inception had a huge budget for the type of movie it was. Now imagine if WB told Nolan that if he made Batman 4 (and maybe 5) for them , he could have that kind of budget for any movie he wanted for the rest of his career. Offers like that would be hard to turn down.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

That rumor was credited to Batman On Film but from what I've seen they haven't reported any such thing. I'm more inclined to believe that the Strange rumors came from the Arkham City video game and it some how bleeded over into the Batman movie rumors. That Robin Williams rumor sounds like complete fiction to me.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 2:22 AM

Let the wild speculation begin.

Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 11:01 AM

Both Dark Horizons and Ain't It Cool News are speculating that Gordon-Levitt is being brought aboard TDKR to play Hugo Strange. The latter character appearing in the film seems to be a rumor that just won't die. I'm of two minds about this: I don't think we need to see Nolan's take on the evil psychiatrist trope since he's already done that with the Scarecrow. And too many villains could be overkill.

Then again - and maybe I'm reading too much into this - there may be a reason that Strange has such a prominent role in the upcoming Arkham City game. Warner's making sure to hype a character soon to be given positioning in a major movie? (Are Bane and Catwoman going to have big parts to play in Arkham City?) And Gordon-Levitt is an excellent actor, so I'm sure he'll be good whoever he ends up playing. I have to say, I'm very curious to see how this plays out; the cast is shaping up quite well.

As for Nolan continuing after Part 3, I could see him willing to go on with the franchise as long as Warner Brothers is willing to continue financing his more personal films as a Quid Pro Quo. Always assuming he can come up with decent storylines for Batman, of course, but I can't see that being a problem, somehow.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 11:31 AM

As for Nolan continuing after Part 3, I could see him willing to go on with the franchise as long as Warner Brothers is willing to continue financing his more personal films as a Quid Pro Quo. Always assuming he can come up with decent storylines for Batman, of course, but I can't see that being a problem, somehow.

That's sort of the thing. I mean it is beneficial for him since if you use Inception as an example, since I doubt pretty much anyone but the director of the Dark Knight (and maybe a handful of other people) would get that kind of budget for that type of movie. I mean if you look at it's budget compared to other movies in the genre, like at Boxoffice Mojo where it is the #1 Heist movie and Crime Time movie of all time, its budget is significantly more than even the number 2 movies in those catergories. At the same time it is beneficial for WB since it made a crapload of money for them.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

I think the Strange rumors are total crap. The video game has confirmed Strange as the villain and I see no reasons to use him there and in the last movie.

Edited by Tableau, Feb 2, 2011 @ 10:17 PM.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2011 @ 8:54 PM

I agree. I can see Strange maybe being a passing cameo but not a full on villain. Fanboys have been wanting JGL for years so I doubt this is anything more than a rumor.

Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

Well, the part about Strange being a character is (probably) just a rumor, but the part about JGL being asked to appear in the film appears to be true. We just don't know who he's being groomed to play yet. It could be a cop, a lawyer, a civilian...anybody, really. Always assuming, natch, that he agrees to be in the fucking thing...but why wouldn't he?