Lexie/Mark/Callie/Arizona: Four Doctors and A Baby

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

831 replies to this topic

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 11:17 PM

For discussion of upcoming parenthood or stepparent hood regarding the pregnancy storyline.

LizH

LizH

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:04 AM

Great name and great thread Gibraltariana!!!

As I've said elsewhere I think that we probably won't see much of Lexie's side of things in this whole mess as it seems like it is going to be a Mark/Callie/Arizona story- which is a shame. I would even go so far as it being written (just interpreting spoilers etc) as more of a CA story than anything else... I suppose how they recover and work their way back to each other.

That being said (and whether you dislike the storyline or not) this is a big arc for all four characters for the second half of the season (and beyond if Callie goes to full term). I'm expecting a lot of twists and turns along the way for all four characters.

DropTheSoap

DropTheSoap

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:45 AM

I'm going for CALM as the ironic acronym for this situation.

I've been watching S2 on Netflix. It was interesting seeing Addison/Mark and Callie talk about the fatherhood that never happened in light of the apparent parenthood that could. Introduced early was Callie's desire to have kids (and a nanny).

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:59 AM

Gib, you rock!

I think Lexie, though freaked out at first, will come around and be more comfortable/accepting of this situation than Arizona. And if that's the case, I could see Lexie and Arizona having a bit of a heart-to-heart about the situation they are in and somewhere in there find some clarity. {I think that would be nice to see.}

It's crazy how only 1 min 30 seconds of this story line (plus some 7.13 stills) has generated so many opinions and theories about what's ahead. We really have no idea where this is going to go. Even though Arizona is by Callie's side at her ob appointment, is she really on board? Is Shonda "I don't do babies" Rhimes going to bring this baby to fruition? (I hope! For I would just hate for all of this to be going down for the sake of added drama when the couples - Calzona especially - already have more than enough to build a story on ...) Who knows! I do think that it is going to be an interesting/sad/joyful (please?!) journey and I'd love to see the 4 of them caring for a little one.

There's enough love and tension in the bunch to deliver some great scenes ... for however long this lasts.

Edited by NYluv, Jan 17, 2011 @ 2:00 AM.

VayaZ

VayaZ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 6:18 AM

It's good to have this thread, it was getting a little messy out there. Thanks Gib!

I think Lexie, though freaked out at first, will come around and be more comfortable/accepting of this situation than Arizona. And if that's the case, I could see Lexie and Arizona having a bit of a heart-to-heart about the situation they are in and somewhere in there find some clarity. {I think that would be nice to see.}

I really hope we get to see this too. I actually like Lexie, and she's proven to be far more adept at handling Mark and Callie's friendship than Arizona has, so maybe they can support each other. I think a few scenes between Lexie and Arizona could offer some great insights into both characters and how they are dealing with this whole thing. They are basically in the same boat, so I could see them getting closer because they understand each other's perspective. Both of them could need a good friend, too.

I don't think Lexie is going to be as involved as Arizona. Lexie will probably come around to being a stepmother after a while. The kid will have Callie and Mark + (possibly) Arizona, so Lexie won't have to get so hands on, she can focus on her job. This situation is a lot different than Mark adopting Sloan III, since that would have recuired her to take some kind of part in it. Now she can take a step back and still be with Mark but let others handle the responsibility. I think Arizona will have a much more difficult time to adjust to these new family dynamics, mostly because she feels that Mark is imposing on her relationship with Callie and I also think she will have trouble handling her jealousy. Mark has been a far more prominent part of the C/A relationship but Callie was never all up in M/L, and I think it's going to stay that way. Which is another reason why I think M/L will have it easier than C/A.

Sparkles07

Sparkles07

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 7:13 AM

The kid will have Callie and Mark + (possibly) Arizona, so Lexie won't have to get so hands on, she can focus on her job. This situation is a lot different than Mark adopting Sloan III, since that would have recuired her to take some kind of part in it. Now she can take a step back and still be with Mark but let others handle the responsibility.

Exactly. The situation is completely different than the Sloane/baby one in that nobody is asking her to be a 24/7 hands-on mother/stepmother to the baby. She can be as involved as she chooses to be without feeling like she is being pressured into it.

The other thing, and I stated this before, is that this baby will really not affect her and Mark as a couple as long as Mark learns to balance both. They can still be together, spend quality time alone together, and when Lexie is ready, they can still get married and have kids of their own if that is what she wants.

Mark has been a far more prominent part of the C/A relationship but Callie was never all up in M/L, and I think it's going to stay that way.

That was because Lexie spoke to her about it and Callie respected their relationship enough to back off and she never again crossed any kind of boundary with Mark while M/L were together. Why can't the same work for C/A with Mark? I don't think Mark is an unreasonable person in that he would completely ignore them if they were to ask him to just back off a little (obviously not back off the baby, but just to give them a little room to sort through their issues). I think if Callie were to ask him, he would do it, but since she has never said anything to him, he probably doesn't think he is doing anything wrong.

I think a few scenes between Lexie and Arizona could offer some great insights into both characters and how they are dealing with this whole thing. They are basically in the same boat, so I could see them getting closer because they understand each other's perspective. Both of them could need a good friend, too.

These two are in desperate need of someone to talk to. We never get to hear their thought process on anything because they have no one to voice them to. It also wouldn't be out of left field for them to find some support in each other because they obviously interacted a lot on a social basis when they were living across the hall from each other back in season 6. They showed us Lexie and Mark over at Callie's apartment for breakfast which seemed like a normal thing that they did...so there has been some sort of friendly interaction between them before. I think in order for Arizona (more so than Lexie) to get through this, she needs to have someone to talk to and to let it all out. This isn't something she can keep bottled up...at least not for long.

This story has some potential if the writers give focus to each character and their POV instead of just one or two. If they insist on telling this story, tell it right and really flesh out these characters. The question is...are the writers able to pull it off?

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 8:41 AM

Az was gone no more than two months before Mark moved in on Callie's vulnerability for his selfish means. Callie did want to have kids, but she wanted to have them with Arizona in a specific context. Mark went for the low hanging fruit to fulfill his own dream while sugarcoating it by telling Callie it's been her dream too, all while ignoring the fact that there was a key stipulation. Bias against that couple tempered the outage.

From what was seen on screen, Callie propositioned Mark. In fact, Mark was pretty clueless about the whole thing until Callie gave him a look and then he understood, but until that look when Callie asked for sorbet Mark offered her a cookie. Also, when did Mark and Callie have a conversation about having children together, where Mark manipulated Callie? Is there a deleted scene that I don't know about, because it never happened onscreen.

Michelle1977

Michelle1977

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 8:44 AM

This story has some potential if the writers give focus to each character and their POV instead of just one or two. If they insist on telling this story, tell it right and really flesh out these characters. The question is...are the writers able to pull it off?

No.

There isn't enough time for them to show all POVs, even if this were a show just about M/C/L/A. With how many regulars and how many storylines going? There's no way they can pull it off, even if the writers were awesome (which they aren't.)

And to be honest, I don't really give a rat's ass about Lexie's or Arizona's POV. They are characters I don't care about, and they really diminish my enjoyment of this show. Honestly, I am pissed that they have to be involved in this storyline at all-this should be about Mark and Callie, not about their girlfriends.

VayaZ

VayaZ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 8:57 AM

I think if Callie were to ask him, he would do it, but since she has never said anything to him, he probably doesn't think he is doing anything wrong.

He probably would. Callie won’t say anything because Arizona hasn’t said anything to her, and I doubt she will in the near future since I think she’ll be running around with her tail between her legs for a while longer. She’ll probably feel that she can’t make any kinds of demands on Callie regarding anything at the moment. And if she couldn’t bring it up when they were together, how could she do it now when they’re in a very fragile place of possibly reconciling. I doubt AZ will be completely out of the doghouse by the next episode. I think she’ll try to keep Callie as happy as possible.

These two are in desperate need of someone to talk to. We never get to hear their thought process on anything because they have no one to voice them to. It also wouldn't be out of left field for them to find some support in each other because they obviously interacted a lot on a social basis when they were living across the hall from each other back in season 6.

Yeah. Lexie hasn’t got anyone to talk to and Arizona has Teddy, but their scenes are usually just about Teddy and whatever problem she’s having at the moment. It would make perfect sense if Arizona and Lexie could reach out to each other. In that way we would find out how they really feel about the situation. Especially Arizona, because this situation is probably hurting her quite a lot, much more than she would tell Callie.

And to be honest, I don't really give a rat's ass about Lexie's or Arizona's POV. They are characters I don't care about, and they really diminish my enjoyment of this show. Honestly, I am pissed that they have to be involved in this storyline at all-this should be about Mark and Callie, not about their girlfriends.

I think the story will focus on the C/A/M dynamic with a bit of Lexie on the fly. If Mark and Callie want to keep their girlfriends, Arizona and Lexie’s stories needs to be told at least partially for the whole thing to make sense IMO. Why should it be just about two of them, when there are four people involved? If the writers want to tell the story solely from Callie and Mark’s perspectives, they should let Lexie and Arizona go and let them have their own storylines. I actually find Arizona and Lexie's POV's to be more interesting at the moment, because nobody is forcing them to stick around (unlike Mark and Callie, who doesn't have much choice in the matter) and if they do, I want to know why and how they're thinking about it.

Sparkles07

Sparkles07

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

That's fine. That is your opinion.

But since, to me, the writers are not telling a Mark/Callie story and there are, in fact, other characters involved here whose lives are also going to be affected by this child, I would like to see their POV as well. The whole show doesn't have to revolve around C/A/L/M for them to tell a halfway decent story here and give each character a voice.

Callie won’t say anything because Arizona hasn’t said anything to her, and I doubt she will in the near future since I think she’ll be running around with her tail between her legs for a while longer. She’ll probably feel that she can’t make any kinds of demands on Callie regarding anything at the moment. And if she couldn’t bring it up when they were together, how could she do it now when they’re in a very fragile place of possibly reconciling. I doubt AZ will be completely out of the doghouse by the next episode. I think she’ll try to keep Callie as happy as possible.

I think initially Arizona will pretty much be walking on eggshells just trying to stay in Callie's good graces, but since things are supposed to get "ugly" at some point, the Mark issue has to be brought up sooner or later. I think if Callie decides that she wants to give their relationship another chance, then she will need to acknowledge Arizona's feelings about Mark and his place in their relationship or this is never going to work. I don't think it would diminish Mark's place in Callie's life as either her BFF or her baby's father if she asked him to give her and Arizona some space to work things out...but again, Callie would need to acknowledge that Mark's presence in her relationship with Arizona has been a problem. It can't just be "Alright, I'll give you another chance, but you have to accept things exactly as they are." I really don't think Mark will take offense if Callie asks him to back off a little so that she and Arizona can work through their issues. It all comes down to Callie here and how much she wants Arizona to be a part of her life.

And as I said before, I really don't think Mark is going to be as overbearing as some are expecting since he also has Lexie to consider. If she decides to give their relationship a chance, Mark is not going to be with Callie 24/7 the way he might have been if Lexie left him again. I really think he will try to balance both his relationship with Lexie and being there for his baby. This isn't going to be the Sloane debacle all over again.

I actually find Arizona and Lexie's POV's to be more interesting at the moment, because nobody is forcing them to stick around (unlike Mark and Callie, who doesn't have much choice in the matter) and if they do, I want to know why and how they're thinking about it.

Exactly. This story has no drama if they're not involved. It will just be Callie and Mark having a baby. All of the drama comes from Callie and Mark's relationship with these two and how this baby is going to affect them all.

Seneca

Seneca

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 9:49 AM

I am hoping that this C/A/L/M storyline turns out to be like Season 8 of Dallas.... one big bad dream that Callie is having and she finally wakes up from it in the 7.18 musical episode.

Michelle1977

Michelle1977

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 11:05 AM

The whole show doesn't have to revolve around C/A/L/M for them to tell a halfway decent story here and give each character a voice.

The writers-even if they were good writers-simply don't have the time. The show only has x number of minutes a week, and they have a number of stories to tell. There's no way they can write all four POVs and make it decent, IMO.

Sparkles07

Sparkles07

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

The writers-even if they were good writers-simply don't have the time. The show only has x number of minutes a week, and they have a number of stories to tell. There's no way they can write all four POVs and make it decent, IMO.

I think we all agree that the writers are just not up to task here...and they haven't been for years. But putting that aside, this story isn't going to play out within the span of a single episode or even two or three episodes. They have months to tell this story...especially if they plan on carrying the baby to term. Alternating the focus every so often during the next few months between all four of them so that the viewers can get a glimpse of where these characters are coming from isn't going to be that difficult IMO. They just spent the last episode focusing mostly on Arizona. They have an episode coming up that is going to focus on Lexie's issues when her father shows up. The next episode focuses on Callie at her first OB appointment and probably all of her anxieties as an expectant mother. So yeah, it can be done, IMO...maybe not to the degree that a story like this warrants, but to some degree.

Edited by Sparkles07, Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:04 PM.

cappy84

cappy84

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

I am hoping that this C/A/L/M storyline turns out to be like Season 8 of Dallas.... one big bad dream that Callie is having and she finally wakes up from it in the 7.18 musical episode.

Oh how I want that to be true! I still think there is a 50/50 chance of this child being born. These characters are going to be tortured and them trying to deal with one another, Arizona already knowing she is not gonna bail, it is to neat, even if she and Callie discuss Mark, that to is just to small. There will be a complication with this baby, every one on this show who has been pregnant lost it in some way, by choice or complication, minus Bailey (but Shonda doesn't do this shit to Bailey so I don't count her, though she had to give birth while there was a bomb in the hospital and her husband was having brain surgery, so.) THe thing is the baby just creates a way for Arizona and Callie to address things, the baby doesn't need to be born for Arizona to prove she won't bail, she will really need to be there if something were to happen. And if something did I would bet everything Callie will blame Arziona, then she will really need to prove she won't bail, it's the kind of story Shonda will tell. And for the future if Arizona really got on board it is something they could actually explore with the two of them. Plus losing Mark is the best thing for the story because C/A fans will be forever hateful of him forever being right in the middle of their relationship. It's like Meredith she had to get pregnant to know she wanted a child, then lost it, Callie getting pregnant proves Arizona doesn't bail, no baby needed after that. Shonda uses drama for drama and never pulls the trigger, Teddy and Owen never kissed but the possibility was always there, etc.

And I will say it again, none of these characters get to have it all. The four of them getting to be with their significant others, they get the baby, and they all decide to raise the baby together and get their crap out there...no, it doesn't happen. If that's the case I would prefer they all leave before season 8 because that will be the most boring story ever. That's why I liked Bailey's kid we never had to see him, see her doing mundane tasks, we saw him when she had drama at times, or just a short moment, but it didn't overtake her. These characters become very limited in what happens with them outside the hospital and as couples. And I don't want to see Mark and Callie making choices without Arizona and that kind of drama, boring. And Mark and Lexie may be together at some point, but it's not for good and same with Callie and Arizona, they may be made for each other, but Shonda has never given them that line that she gave M/D.

I think whatever happens will be in the musical. It's a Callie centered story, and per someone a catalyst for the episode, and the story per Shonda would be told singing or not. And this is the type of story that I could understand where multiple people are singing to/for/about Callie.

Edited by cappy84, Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:52 PM.

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

There's no way they can write all four POVs and make it decent, IMO.

I think it depends on how long the story lasts. I don't put it past Shonda to end this pregnancy with a dramatic "Must See" television event culminating with Callie going to the "otherworld" to see Denny and George taking care of the baby. However, if (and I hope it does) go to term there's also the matter of Shonda's timeline fairy going on drinking binges in Joe's Bar. Callie may give birth in the finale, or wind up gestating as long as an elephant. If the storyline is longer and not shorter, there would be time to explore all points of view.

lynxish

lynxish

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Sure they could, if they really wanted to (and were willing to devote the time and energy required). Just think back to when Addison first showed up. The writers actually did an excellent job depicting that whole situation from all of those character's POV's. We saw how it affected Meredith to have the surprise wife suddenly show up, we saw how it affected Derek to have his cheating wife wreck his new relationship (and not being sure whether he really wanted to reconcile with her), and we even saw how Addison felt about having cheated on Derek and then finding out he'd been cheating on her. The whole thing was pretty well handled, in terms of showing the impact of the situation on the characters and their psyches. So obviously it is possible. It would just require a careful touch and an extensive examination. Which I doubt the writers are currently prepared to devote to this "CALM" situation (great acronym, btw!). So I'm not actually expecting them to pull it off, but it certainly could be done well, if they really wanted to.

I don't think Mark is an unreasonable person in that he would completely ignore them if they were to ask him to just back off a little (obviously not back off the baby, but just to give them a little room to sort through their issues). I think if Callie were to ask him, he would do it, but since she has never said anything to him, he probably doesn't think he is doing anything wrong.

I'm conflicted on this issue. On the one hand, I do think if Callie sat him down and seriously talked to him about the need for boundaries and space, he'd listen and respond. But would he actually be capable of following through? If there wasn't going to be a baby, then I totally think he could and would. However, now that there is going to be a baby, I'm less sure. Especially if the pregnancy doesn't go smoothly (which it probably won't, because that would just be too easy). It is one thing for Mark to give Callie space to work through her relationship with Arizona, but it is another thing for Mark to give Callie space while she is carrying his child and might possibly have a problematic pregnancy. Particularly if he thinks that Callie's rocky relationship with Arizona is causing her undo stress, or something like that. I could totally see Mark deciding that Arizona is causing Callie too much stress, and trying to step in to mitigate it (and bungling the job, making things worse).

But all of this is contingent on if Callie would ask him to back off. I'm not sure she will, initially. Sometimes, she can be quite obtuse, and it might not occur to her that she'll need to. It will probably take Arizona forcing the issue for it to really sink in for Callie that there's a real problem there. JMO.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

However, if (and I hope it does) go to term there's also the matter of Shonda's timeline fairy going on drinking binges in Joe's Bar. Callie may give birth in the finale, or wind up gestating as long as an elephant. If the storyline is longer and not shorter, there would be time to explore all points of view.

Shonda does love her time jumps. I honestly don't even know what year it is because the timeline has been consistantly all over the place from the beginning. I don't think she is going to have Callie pregnant all next season. She will either give birth or lose the baby in this season's finale or next season's opener.

BTW, I love how Shonda is so predictable that I called Callie being pregnant with Mark's baby the minute she slept with him but the promo of M/D looking at the pregnancy test last week really sealed the deal. I knew it was going to be Callie and not Meredith and I bet the MerDer fans are livid. And Shonda has been surprisingly quiet on Twitter ever since the episode aired so I bet she got lots of hate from all sides for this.

On the one hand, I do think if Callie sat him down and seriously talked to him about the need for boundaries and space, he'd listen and respond. But would he actually be capable of following through? If there wasn't going to be a baby, then I totally think he could and would. However, now that there is going to be a baby, I'm less sure. Especially if the pregnancy doesn't go smoothly (which it probably won't, because that would just be too easy). It is one thing for Mark to give Callie space to work through her relationship with Arizona, but it is another thing for Mark to give Callie space while she is carrying his child and might possibly have a problematic pregnancy.

Am I the only who thinks the "ugliness" that Shonda is talking about has to do with Callie and Mark? Meaning, what if Callie doesn't want Mark to be big part of this baby's life and Mark naturally is livid about this which causes major drama for all parties. Callie hasn't even told him yet and I would have thought for sure he would have been the first person she spoke to about it.

Edited by Turkish, Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:19 PM.

cappy84

cappy84

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:22 PM

I think it depends on how long the story lasts. I don't put it past Shonda to end this pregnancy with a dramatic "Must See" television event culminating with Callie going to the "otherworld" to see Denny and George taking care of the baby. However, if (and I hope it does) go to term there's also the matter of Shonda's timeline fairy going on drinking binges in Joe's Bar. Callie may give birth in the finale, or wind up gestating as long as an elephant. If the storyline is longer and not shorter, there would be time to explore all points of view.

The timeline has been driving me crazy. I remember Bailey when we found out she was already far along, but she was still pregnant for 10. Crisitna had her baby in her for 7 episodes, Sloan Sloan 11, and we didn't watch that one really. The thing is fast forwarding to much ruins other stories. It worked with the shooting, healed everyone physically first, then was needed for the documentary, and Cristina's story, which worked because no other story was compromised by moving that fast. Now though, there is Teddy and Henry, which can't lose time because if its slow build, then Bailey and Eli can't be fast forwarded, if he isn't even there every episode, the Alzheimer's trial can work, but not at light speed, and though they seem to not really care about Meredith and her fertility flashing through 7/8 more months with nothing, or not much also doesn't work. Plus this story will not always be center stage, the 15th episode is the real time hour from Meredith's POV.

And given that Shonda has constantly been talking about this C/A story, losing Mark and the baby after a little while does that much better, otherwise I fail to see how it's their story, journey.

Am I the only who thinks the "ugliness" that Shonda is talking about has to do with Callie and Mark?

Every time she talked ugliness it was in regard to Callie and Arizona, so probably about them.

Edited by cappy84, Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:27 PM.

Sparkles07

Sparkles07

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

It is one thing for Mark to give Callie space to work through her relationship with Arizona, but it is another thing for Mark to give Callie space while she is carrying his child and might possibly have a problematic pregnancy. Particularly if he thinks that Callie's rocky relationship with Arizona is causing her undo stress, or something like that. I could totally see Mark deciding that Arizona is causing Callie too much stress, and trying to step in to mitigate it (and bungling the job, making things worse).

Well in a situation like that I don't think anyone will blame him.

But I also don't think that if this pregnancy is a problematic one that Arizona is going to be forcing any issues on Callie when she knows she will not be able to handle it or Callie even allowing her to because she will know that all of this stress isn't good for the baby. I can see one big argument happening and then both of them deciding to take a step back or something happening to Callie and the baby as a result of it...but as far as continuous turmoil in their relationship while Callie is going through a difficult pregnancy to the point where Mark has to intervene, I don't think any of them will let it get to that point.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

They have months to tell this story...especially if they plan on carrying the baby to term. Alternating the focus every so often during the next few months between all four of them so that the viewers can get a glimpse of where these characters are coming from isn't going to be that difficult IMO.

I agree. Actually I think telling the story easily extends beyond the birth of the baby. Perhaps its just that I don't hold the belief that only one couple on the show deserves storyline but IMO, there's far more story (that hasn't been told on GA with Bailey) than a "normal" pregnancy story.

For example, Lexie may work through the issue now and be completely fine with the baby. Down the road when Lexie wants a child issues can arise - given the age difference (pounded home constantly) would Mark have the same desire for a child with Lexie after he has one with Callie? Would Lexie feel slighted that the "firsts" of pregnancy and baby were experienced with Callie? If either couple breaks up (if C/A & M/L remain as couples) there's the whole issue of the stepparent potentially also losing a relationship with a child they love like their own but is not their child. And of course there will be who helps who through the inevitable postpartum depression and/or baby in peril storyline(s). As things progress it will bring out different views from each of the four. I don't think all POVs all at the same time (pre-birth) needs to be told in entirety pre-birth for the story to be told.

And Mark and Lexie may be together at some point, but it's not for good and same with Callie and Arizona, they may be made for each other, but Shonda has never given them that line that she gave M/D.

Personally I am thankful Shonda has never proclaimed "TOGETHER FOREVER!". Telling the ending of every pairing on the show just makes things dull, IMO. In the context of this storyline I don't really care if any one couple is together forever. Blended family drama combined with baby drama combined with couple drama opens up story IMO, it doesn't need to limit it. These 4 now have lots of storyline without the need for more triangles and bed hopping (with 10 other characters there's still plenty of characters for those GA staples).

I don't put it past Shonda to end this pregnancy with a dramatic "Must See" television event culminating with Callie going to the "otherworld" to see Denny and George taking care of the baby.

Shhhhh don't go giving out any ideas please.

Edited by WindSprints, Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:00 PM.

andtototoo

andtototoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:08 PM

I don't put it past Shonda to end this pregnancy with a dramatic "Must See" television event culminating with Callie going to the "otherworld" to see Denny and George taking care of the baby.

LMAO! So true, once we got dead Denny sex, I knew that she would easily go to the bizarre on this show. Oh how I miss the sensible storytelling of the early seasons.

VayaZ

VayaZ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

It is one thing for Mark to give Callie space to work through her relationship with Arizona, but it is another thing for Mark to give Callie space while she is carrying his child and might possibly have a problematic pregnancy. Particularly if he thinks that Callie's rocky relationship with Arizona is causing her undo stress, or something like that. I could totally see Mark deciding that Arizona is causing Callie too much stress, and trying to step in to mitigate it (and bungling the job, making things worse).

This kind of scenario would be too OTT for me (maybe not for the writers?), but when reading this I came to think about something. Mark and Callie have never had a real conflict. They're good friends and love each other as such, but there's never been any real friction there. They just haven't had that kind of relationship, it's always been very casual. I think it would be interesting to see how they navigate this. I think their friendship could be tested.

This pregnancy and possible baby could set up some conflicts for them. I could see Mark, with good intention, getting overbearing and starting to read pregnancy books, telling Callie what to eat and drink, that maybe she should cut back on work etc, which I think would drive Callie crazy and possibly anger her. If Callie somehow loses the child, there is also a risk of Mark blaming her for not being careful enough.

Also, what's going to happen when the kid is born? They may be completely on the same page about how to raise a child, but they also might not be. They've never talked about any of that. There are a lot of potential conflict there too. Callie and Mark has had such an easy road, they've given each other good and bad advice for a long time, but they've never actually had to deal with anything serious between the two of them. And let's face it, a close friendship is no guarantee for them to have the same family values or the same thoughts about what good parenting is etc. This pregnancy could bring them closer together, but it could also serve to drive them apart a little.

AnitaMC

AnitaMC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:24 PM

There's no way they can write all four POVs and make it decent, IMO.

ITA on this. There will always be at least one POV that will be left out and will leave the story sort of incomplete (which I assume will be Lexie's). There is no way that the four of them will make a full compelling story, unless TPTB turn this into the third version of Izzie's cancer and devote the entire second half of the season to that.

Sure they could, if they really wanted to (and were willing to devote the time and energy required). Just think back to when Addison first showed up. The writers actually did an excellent job depicting that whole situation from all of those character's POV's.

Hate to break the news here but this was S2. The show was brilliant on S2. We're on the edge here. The writers cannot seem to balance the story equally but have to devote the entire energy of the episode to one/two POVs and leave the rest on the air for you to assume. I'd like to think that the writers can pull this off but I lost hope somewhere in S5 that the x story of whoever character could be told all around.

Hahahahaha. WIN. I have a hard time picturing this baby be born. As I posted on the Promo thread, the whole blended family thing doesn't cut out as a great story for me. It was a great movie and I enjoyed it but for TV (especially writers who seem to not know their characters anymore), it doesn't seem like something that will be the greatest story ever told. I rather much watch the loss of the baby and the aftermath to it for Calzona and Mark (what M/D fans were cut out of the miscarriage) than the whole "Let's be the new Brady Bunch!" stuff that's about to happen.

cappy84

cappy84

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:48 PM

Hahahahaha. WIN. I have a hard time picturing this baby be born. As I posted on the Promo thread, the whole blended family thing doesn't cut out as a great story for me. It was a great movie and I enjoyed it but for TV (especially writers who seem to not know their characters anymore), it doesn't seem like something that will be the greatest story ever told. I rather much watch the loss of the baby and the aftermath to it for Calzona and Mark (what M/D fans were cut out of the miscarriage) than the whole "Let's be the new Brady Bunch!" stuff that's about to happen.

I agree, there is much more drama and story in the loss of the baby.

Personally I am thankful Shonda has never proclaimed "TOGETHER FOREVER!". Telling the ending of every pairing on the show just makes things dull, IMO. In the context of this storyline I don't really care if any one couple is together forever. Blended family drama combined with baby drama combined with couple drama opens up story IMO, it doesn't need to limit it. These 4 now have lots of storyline without the need for more triangles and bed hopping (with 10 other characters there's still plenty of characters for those GA staples).

That's my point though if they break up, then the blended family story is gone, your left with Mark and Callie the parents, that whole dynamic is no longer something to play, Arizona and Lexie will have no reason to be in the childs life.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:56 PM

That's my point though if they break up, then the blended family story is gone, your left with Mark and Callie the parents, that whole dynamic is no longer something to play, Arizona and Lexie will have no reason to be in the childs life.

If both couple break up and those breakups are permanent then yes, the blended family is dissolved. Only my opinion but from what I've seen on GA I think the couple will have at least a couple of back and forths left, lol. Could be years worth of story.

it doesn't seem like something that will be the greatest story ever told

I don't think anything on Grey's will ever be the greatest story ever told or even anything remotely close to it. Personally my preference would have been no babies but if there needs to be one then at least the blended family has some potential for it to be a little more interesting. I'm not Merlin and I have no idea how it will play out. I'll reserve judging it fully when the storyline moves further along. YMMV.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 2:01 PM

Personally my preference would have been no babies but if there needs to be one then at least the blended family has some potential for it to be a little more interesting.

Didn't Shonda say that she doesn't do babies. What happened to that? If I actually believed a word that comes out of her mouth anymore then I would bet this kid was toast. With Bailey she didn't have a choice due to Chandra being pregnant when the show started but we rarely see that kid unless it's a crisis and/or involves her jerk of an ex. If they do decide to let Callie keep this baby then I don't think we will see him or her very often unless the kid is sick.

Edited by Turkish, Jan 17, 2011 @ 2:02 PM.

Michelle1977

Michelle1977

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 2:54 PM

Am I the only who thinks the "ugliness" that Shonda is talking about has to do with Callie and Mark? Meaning, what if Callie doesn't want Mark to be big part of this baby's life and Mark naturally is livid about this which causes major drama for all parties. Callie hasn't even told him yet and I would have thought for sure he would have been the first person she spoke to about it.

I think that's unlikely, given how close Mark and Callie are. I can't imagine Callie being cold enough (or manipulated by Az enough) to deny Mark access to his child.

LizH

LizH

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

I totally agree. I think that these four will be orbiting around each other for a long while to come. There is no storyline (well there is one but it is not as dramatic) if Lexie and Arizona step to one side for good.

And we can go back and forth on all of these issues a million times (and I'm sure we will - that is the beauty of this storyline I guess) but at the end of the day there are some truths.
Mark and Lexie love one another.
Callie and Arizona love one another.
Although they now are going to have a child together there has never been any suggestion from either Callie or Mark that they want to pursue a relationship with each other.

This means that (unfortunately for Mallie shippers) we are going to see this foursome play out the baby story together. I don't think we will see Callie, Mark and the baby drive off into the sunset together*

*I'll footnote this (before I get jumped on) by saying that with everything we have seen to date this is highly unlikely (a Mallie pairing) but who is to say that this won't change.

AnitaMC

AnitaMC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:40 PM

Didn't Shonda say that she doesn't do babies. What happened to that?

In Ausiello's post S6 finale interview, SR said she had written her way out her "no babies" policy but for Meredith. I guess she changed her mind...once again. It's hard to keep track with all of what SR says.

I thought that was for Calzona. I would say that applies more to them than Callie and Mark. I can't see Callie wanting to exclude Mark out of his child, as their relationship is not really on the line but the one with Callie and Arizona is but with what the promo pics that were released...IDK. I think this is a wait and see. The fact that nothing has been mentioned about Mark and Lexie is what makes me curious. I am no fan of these couple but something has to come up related to them, right?

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

The fact that nothing has been mentioned about Mark and Lexie is what makes me curious. I am no fan of these couple but something has to come up related to them, right?

Just last week Shonda said

there would be a wrench thrown in ,and they would get another run at being happy