Face Off

• Please log in to reply

3342 replies to this topic

Fiddler1

Fiddler1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 7:16 AM

I loved this season. Minimal bullshit and unpleasantness with the contestants, I like the host, I enjoy the judges and their relationships with each other. And the talent/creativity is there even with challenges that to me seem pretty tough.

Well said --- same here! No manufactured dramas, talented contestants who seemed to (mostly) get along and respect each other, knowledgeable judges and a final 3 that I was totally in agreement with. Hope good things come to all three of them in the future.

linderhill

linderhill

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

one of the things I enjoy about this show is the fact that the judges actually "judge" and offer helpful criticism and advice as opposed to, say, Project Runway, where the judges sometimes seem to be in a competition over who can offer the best witticism (I'm looking at you Michael Kors) instead of actually judging on a designs merit.

Most of these contestants were likable in their own way and it didn't seem like anyone's personality quirks were too artificially inflated too much for manufactured drama.

I do have to say that I found myself yelling at Jerry to shut the hell up already. The man was so quick to criticize everyone else but couldn't seem to take it himself or edit himself very well even in the end.

kestrelle

kestrelle

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Great end to a great season. Poor RJ. I think the pressure got to him at the end.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

My first season watching this show -sorry to see it end, and happy to learn that it's coming back in the summer!

I would have been happy with any of the top 3 winning, but I ranked them as Rayce, Ian, and RJ.

I don't know what RJ's plans are, but I think Ian at least will be fine. Ve's right - he's a natural, and after his exposure on the show, he'll have plenty of offers.

Here's the question I've had all season: what kinds of job opportunities are there for these contestants, anyway? Is the field big enough to absorb a bunch of them? About how many from this season could realistically expect to be picked up by the industry? I really have no sense of this, whether the contestants are foolishly dreaming about making an expensive hobby into a job in a very narrow field, or whether there are jobs aplenty and the exposure will boost them all into wonderful careers.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

I thought the Lucifer character looked like a Klan member too, especially in the long shots.

My 14-year old immediately pointed that out in the first long shot. Hilarious!

Season 3 this summer? Can we hope for as much talent and little drama as this season? I hope so!

I even liked the fact that all of previous contestants used as assistants seemed to really want to be there and do a great job!

What am I going to do on Wednesdays at 10 until the summertime?!

I'm going to admit to my crush on Glen. It's wrong in all kinds of ways, but I have one. Scowling, bad hair, overcompensating bad boy attitude probably for being picked on as a nerd in high school, all that.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I thought the Lucifer character looked like a Klan member too, especially in the long shots.

My 14-year old immediately pointed that out in the first long shot. Hilarious!

Glad we at the OSM house weren't the only ones who thought that. This was a really nice season. I would have been happy with any of the 3 winning. And that's a first.

Stryker

Stryker

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Very happy that Rayce won! Even though he had issues with neck tearing during the dance numbers; overall, his pieces were imaginative, cohesive and artfully done. His characters told a story and were totally original. Ian and RJ just put their spin on already-been-done characters and I think that is what gave Rayce the win. Being the audience favorite just sealed it.

I thought it was pretty telling that Jerry, Miranda and Beki were chosen over Sue as assistants. We didn't hear much from her or Bre at all during the talking heads.

I absolutely adore this show - as does my entire family. Can't wait until it starts again!

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

What am I going to do on Wednesdays at 10 until the summertime?!

Watch Monster Man?

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Watch Monster Man?

Based on the premier last night, i'd say no. Typical trashy reality show about a disfunctional family, just substitute special effects in place of tattooing/taxidermy/gun-making, etc., for the family business.

oyveyoyveyy

oyveyoyveyy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Dear TV Executives at SyFy and all other channels,
We, the viewers, are not monkeys who require lots of drama and fighting to make a TV show interesting. Face Off is a wonderful example of artistry, talent, and genuinely nice people who are working on beautiful pieces with enough time to complete them and challenges that allow them to express themselves creatively and not jump through impossible hoops.

...and the viewers LOVE it! Never change, Face Off.

Imagine those huge Lord of the Rings esque films where you have hoards of actors and extras all needing to be put into elaborate make-ups every day for the entire filming period, I imagine there's work to be had for everyone. I'd be quite sad to hear that any of the artists (okay, except S1's Conner groupie) were having trouble getting work.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Interesting how SyFy sent out a press release talking about how Face Off was getting its best ratings ever while going head to head first broadcasts with Top Chef:Texas, which was in the process of falling apart over the interpersonal drama. I know more than one person who flipped their viewing habits to watching Face Off in the first broadcast because of the lower level of nastiness.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Watch Monster Man?

LOL! I accidentally omitted part of my post. It should have read, "What am I going to watch on Wednesdays at 10? Not watch Monster Man that's for sure."

I'm not sold on it at all and I echo this comment wholeheartedly:

Typical trashy reality show about a disfunctional family, just substitute special effects in place of tattooing/taxidermy/gun-making, etc., for the family busines

And ditto to this:

We, the viewers, are not monkeys who require lots of drama and fighting to make a TV show interesting. Face Off is a wonderful example of artistry, talent, and genuinely nice people who are working on beautiful pieces with enough time to complete them and challenges that allow them to express themselves creatively and not jump through impossible hoops.

Word, so much word!

I know more than one person who flipped their viewing habits to watching Face Off in the first broadcast because of the lower level of nastiness.

Not only did I change my first broadcast viewing to Face Off, I was all into Top Chef: Texas at first then started watching Face Off and never came back. I stopped recording it and lately while staring at the On Demand menu it's never even crossed my mind that I could catch up with TC episodes then.

I love these kinds of artistic competitions for the creative process, there will be enough drama in trying to get through the challenges with the time limitations while trying to come up with an awesome piece. I know with the various personalities drama will ensue, but TPtB can edit anyway they please, focus on what the audience wants and it's not the craziness.

Edited by iggystar, Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:49 PM.

SuzN

SuzN

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

...and the viewers LOVE it! Never change, Face Off.

Times 1,000. I was amazed that the finale had three very talented people that I liked and would have been OK with any of them winning. I'm so leery of any competitive reality show because I hate manufactured drama and nasty people who are "not there to make friends".

I do think Rayce winning was the right outcome, but I hope this creates job opportunities for Ian and RJ.

ETA: I watched Monster Man - once was enough. It was unpleasant, very scripted and the work created could have been topped by the people on Face Off.

Edited by SuzN, Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:28 PM.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

I hate manufactured drama and nasty people who are "not there to make friends".

Ugh, I'm done with that phrase. We get it, you're not there to make friends, but do you actively have to create enemies?

ETA: I watched Monster Man - once was enough. It was unpleasant, very scripted and the work created could have been topped by the people on Face Off.

I thought that's how it would be. I guess I'll see SyFy again in the summer!

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

I hate manufactured drama and nasty people who are "not there to make friends".

Ugh, I'm done with that phrase. We get it, you're not there to make friends, but do you actively have to create enemies?

Seriously! People act as though there's no middle ground in a competition. There kind of is, especially when you're not voting anyone out.

That letter to SyFy- awesome. I'm more nervous about the challenges changing than I am about them bringing on asshole contestants. At some point they're going to try and outdo themselves. Hopefully they'll come to understand that that approach isn't necessary. I don't want to tune in and see people working in the dark with one hand behind their backs to build 3 make ups in 12 hours.

That's where Top Chef really fell down for me, causing me to be one of those who turned it off in favor of this show. I like seeing creative people make cool stuff, I don't need the challenges to be insane. And there seems to be a point where a series of difficult challenges causes contestants to opt for mediocrity, because they know it's better to finish safely than risk not completing the task (I think that's part of what happened to Project Runway). I don't want this show to wind up there. I think I'm a little paranoid because I'm almost out of reality competition shows that I genuinely enjoy, and they're kind of my tv crack.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Great final episode, and with results I, once again, can totally get behind.

Despite the wear-and-tear of the dancing, I had Rayce >> Ian > RJ.

As much as I like RJ, I did not care a bit for his team's work. Why ? It seemed too... cartoonish, for lack of a better word. I mean... the sculpt job on the faces was broad, and the paint job, especially on Mother Earth, was very bodypainting 101 : pretty, but not believable as a creature's/entity's skin. In short, it looked like make-up. Also, I LMAO when Beki started taking charge of the team under the cover of motivating RJ. Of course she would do so.

Ian's design was interesting, but the paint job did him in. Also, I gotta say his ideas didn't really work for me when introduced on stage... but as soon as they started dancing, and did the "hellhounds on a leash/breaking their chains" routine, it suddenly clicked, visually.

As for Rayce's, as usual, strong visual identity/concept, and more than solid sculpt/make-up.

Glad to see some past contestants in the crowd during presentation, even though I would have prefered the crowd to be present for the big finish.

Season 3 in the summer, you say ? Bring back some past contestants/winners here and there, for a challenge, special help in the shop or a guest judge spot.

Edited by Kaoteek, Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:58 PM.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Thing is, RJ chose fantasy. In fact, I think he chose first. Why did he have such a time figuring out what he wanted to do? I know as soon as I say the words "fantasy characters" a thousand images come to mind. He just choked. Maybe he was stuck on dreamable versus doable. He should've picked horror.

katbart

katbart

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

I'd love to see a sister show with the people who help with the costume designs. Very good work (sometimes - still getting over that rope belt)

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

I'd love to see a sister show with the people who help with the costume designs. Very good work (sometimes - still getting over that rope belt)

Good idea in one sense, but a bit of a reach for Sy-Fi. It would have to air on another channel.

hypertwink

hypertwink

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

I was rooting for Ian but I felt Ok that Rayce won. I just hope that Patrick or Ve would ask Ian to apprentice/work for them.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

I agree Lucifer needed a little more colour to avoid the KKK look, it didn't help that the hunch over hid the one part of the design was not white.

That being said I think the concept of him being mostly white was really cool.

I did not like the face of the phoenix. I know it was really red but the beak should not have been black. I think it should have been yellow and i thought sharper not curved.

Richness

Richness

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

I'm very happy with the outcome. I simply can not choose a favorite among the adorable dynamic duo. Ian remains the epitome of class by congratulating Rayce, even before the winner is announced. RJ is awesome as well. However, Rayce stood out for most of the season, doing fantastic work.

With that said, I'm not sure I would have crowned Rayce the winner of this challenge. We've seen the judges not count off before when appliances failed, but it seemed like this was suppose to be a crucial part of the challenge. I wasn't overly impressed by the make-up until they stood together with him at the end of the judging. That's when I saw the gradient change from dark to light going across all 3 characters.

While I liked Ian's Lucifer, I didn't like the hell hounds. The wing nubs were cool since they were fallen angels. But as someone else mentioned, they looked too much like hookers by way of Athena's hot mess bondage enthusiast. The one in the head cage was pretty good though. The breaking of their chains during the dance went well.

RJ is just a nice guy that everyone can relate to. I'm glad he made it on the show due to the fans. He just wasn't as consistently good as the dynamic duo.

Now, I was a bit disappointed by the inclusion of a dance number on the final challenge. I realize that real world make-ups and appliances will have to stand up to filming, but I don't think it puts the contestants in a fair situation. I guess that's why the judges awarded Rayce the winner, cause they were aware of the hazards of the challenge. I hope next season's final challenge judges them simply on the work itself. As someone else mentioned, I hope they don't ruin the show by trying to continually push the edge too far, or bring in the drama.

Then they have to go an ruin the whole episode with that horrid product placed finish. Thanks Toyota, or whoever it was, for sponsoring the show, but could you use wiffle ball bat the next time instead of an aluminum one to beat over the head with? I'll tolerate it though if it gets us even more seasons.

Here's a bonus article where they discuss their inspirations: http://blastr.com/20...ight-finali.php

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

Like most people, I would have been happy with any of the 3 finalists winning. But thinking back to last season (easy since many of that cast was in the audience for the final performance), the final winner had to be based on not just this final challenge, but overall performance.

Rayce and Ian had 2 wins each and RJ just the one. But Rayce was barely ever in the bottom of the stack, while Ian and RJ were on the elimination bubble at least once each. By that measure, plus the final challenge including the audience vote, Rayce was the clear winner.

Plus, once Jerry said that RJ had it in the bag, I knew RJ wouldn't win. Jerry can't pick a horse to save his life.

I just hope that Patrick or Ve would ask Ian to apprentice/work for them.

If this were to happen, I'd bet on Patrick hiring Ian. He was overall the most complementary of Ian's ability and innovative thinking.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 3:08 AM

I give SyFy credit for trying to get Face Off viewers to watch Monster Man, but I had the same reaction as the other posters here: it was horrible. I watch Face Off because I enjoy watching what the artists create (not because I want to see the juvenile drama). With Monster Man, there's too much drama and not enough creating.

I don't want Face Off to go the Project Runway route and make the time constraints so unreasonable that the competitors can't finish properly. I want to see them succeed and create real make up. I don't want to see them showing half assed unfinished make up because the producers like putting too much pressure on them.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 6:03 AM

That's where Top Chef really fell down for me, causing me to be one of those who turned it off in favor of this show. I like seeing creative people make cool stuff, I don't need the challenges to be insane.

I totally agree. There was a Top Chef challenge where there was a "twist" - the electricity went off in the kitchen, if I'm remembering correctly. I just stopped watching because it was a ridiculous challenge and not even safe! My thought if it's not broke don't fix it. There's no reason to keep upping the ante on the challenges with silly stuff like extremely reduced time or trickery.

Good idea in one sense, but a bit of a reach for Sy-Fi. It would have to air on another channel.

Sy-Fy is the channel of incredible reaching....wrestling anyone?

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

With that said, I'm not sure I would have crowned Rayce the winner of this challenge. We've seen the judges not count off before when appliances failed, but it seemed like this was suppose to be a crucial part of the challenge.

From what i've read, they shot the dance routine at least three times (which would explain why some of the familiar faces in the audience kept changing places between reaction shots), and the appliances only started to fail towards the third time.

But since all contestants were only supposed to apply make-up for one dance representation, and didn't have any touch-up time between the numbers, the judges probably ended up discounting the wear-and-tear altogether for all three finalists.

Edited by Kaoteek, Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:12 AM.

Kimmu

Kimmu

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Finally saw the finale. I would have been happy with any of them winning, but I did like Rayce's the best over all. Really nice concept and really well done. I was thinking planning makeup effects for a dance number without knowing the dance beforehand must be difficult as you don't know where to avoid or where to place reinforcement.

I thought RJ had a much better idea with the dark and light fairies that he scrapped because he couldn't use ribbon. Get rid of the ribbon, not the entire concept. That phoenix looked like a really bad bird character from a movie I cannot place...though I want to say the Neverending Story 2 maybe. He also had trouble delegating to the team. Too much freedom and not enough direction, like he really didn't want to tell them what to do. Still, he's clearly creative and good at this work. I hope he manages to get back into it. Ian's Lucifer character just seemed sort of...dopey and downtrodden, not so much the commanding Angel of Light who believes it better to reign in Hell... I did really like the demon girl with the goat's skull bursting out of her skull.

I actually liked Monster Man. I thought the whole family was pretty funny and likable, they clearly love what they are doing, and I did like that you saw them addressing things like "what does this effect have to do" during the actual work. I always wonder about the logistics of these things and how the planning works that goes into them.

Sy-Fy is the channel of incredible reaching....wrestling anyone?

Professional wrestling is a scripted, dramatic series that for all intents and purposes is a live action fantasy sports anime. It also usually has better acting and writing than most SyFy Original Pictures. It totally fits.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Professional wrestling is a scripted, dramatic series that for all intents and purposes is a live action fantasy sports anime. It also usually has better acting and writing than most SyFy Original Pictures. It totally fits.

Um, there are no robots, aliens or wizards therefore I do not consider wrestling in line with the sci-fi genre but overall Sy-Fy has been deviating from traditional science fiction for years (which is an entirely different soap box for me to stand on), so I say a competitive reality costuming show could air on Sy-Fy as well as wrestling. And I'm a fan of wrestling and Marcel's Quantum Kitchen, which also was an odd match.

As far as the acting, you're totally right about that!

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Watch Monster Man?

LOL! I accidentally omitted part of my post. It should have read, "What am I going to watch on Wednesdays at 10? Not watch Monster Man that's for sure."

I had to bail on that show 30 minutes in ........sooooooooooooooooo bad.

libraryone

libraryone

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Re this comment:

much better idea with the dark and light fairies that he scrapped because he couldn't use ribbon. Get rid of the ribbon, not the entire concept.

I agree. I thought RJ's final concept was really weak. It just didn't visually make a lot of sense to the audience, I don't think, which may be why they didn't react to it like RJ thought they would. The story wasn't very easy to understand, in contrast to the other two looks. Even if you didn't know the entire backstory for them, they were visually cohesive in a way that RJ's wasn't.

He should have stuck with the fairies and done a "faery revels" theme. That would have even fit in with the dance concept.

I'm imagining all the types of fairy looks he could have incorporated--that could have been really cool!