5-9: "Gut Check" 2011.01.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

55 replies to this topic

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 9:02 AM

So, once again, Matt is mature and sensible. Love that kid. (I think I read Zach Gilford is going to be in four episodes, so I assume things aren't quite done with him and Julie.) When Julie said she didn't fit into his life anymore I was like "Well, you broke up." But I did enjoy seeing them together again (although it's confirmed that she made a 20-hour spur-of-the-moment drive).

Very interesting that Vince's mom noted that while Ornette loves Vince, he's maybe not doing the best things for him, given that she begged Vince to give his dad another chance in their lives. and then that's confirmed when Ornette is ready to knock Coach out.

Mindy clearly doesn't want another baby. I felt sorry for her.

Sad for Jess, not just because she lost Vince, but because she really lost Vince before she broke up with him. He wasn't the guy she liked, who'd wrangler her little brothers and be sweet to her. Good for her for recognizing that, but she's obviously upset. (LOVED Coach being like "Yeah, I've been here before" when he saw her crying.)

Epyck was an example of "no good deed goes unpunished," as an old boss used to say. I haven't been that interested in her, but seeing her led out in cuffs was sad.

pheonaphan

pheonaphan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 10:04 AM

I'll add that i thought this was a strong episode for Luke and Jess both. Why they weren't running that offense the whole game makes me wonder. I feel like Julie still isn't owning up to her responsibilities and it looks like she never will. I'm on the fence about who stole the money, but it's obvious that teacher and her did not get along. No excuse for lashing out, but once things escalate like that, the po-po have to get called in. Mindy sooooo doesn't want the kid. She really enjoys working at the Landing Strip! Unfortunately, so does Becky. Vince is going to have to eat some crow AND convince his dad to chill. Not going to be pretty...

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 10:48 AM

I am happy that Julie told Matt about the TA. It was so easy for her to withhold that but she didn't and I like it. For all of Julie's shortcomings, I must give her credit for doing some not-so-comfortable things when she could have just as easily walked away.

I was worried when Matt have almost no reaction to the news and even more worried when he brushed it off but then went to the bathroom and had that look on his face. I was extremely relieved when Matt called Julie out... what are you doing, what are you doing here in Chicago, don't you have to go home at some point... it doesn't get anymore straight forward than that. And I can't say how glad I was that Matt saw exactly what Julie was doing and told her so... as much as I loved that Julie went to see Matt, I am glad called her on her hiding out... her parents "kicked her out" and now Matt has "kicked her out"... maybe now Julie will wake up fully and face her real life.

As a Matt and Julie lover, the ending could not have been better. I was a bit scared when Julie pulled off but I was more than elated when Matt chased after Julie, told her they would figure it out and that he loved her.

It surprised me to see Vince's mom sees that what Ornette is doing might not be in the best interest of Vince... it seems as if she is recognizing behavior she has seen before and she knows it will not end well... I really wish she had been a bit more forceful in telling Vince to stop listening to his dad but I am glad she at least hold him to use his own head instead of being lead around by Ornette.

Becky has won me over... I felt for her when Luke walked up to his parents with her... Becky looked so scared and seemed as if she was waiting for them to tell her to get her harlet behind away from their son... Luke's dad seemed so sweet when he asked how she was doing and mom... I LOL!! at her he kissed her!! did you see that?!LOL!!!

I knew Mindy was pregnant when she was at the strip club complaining about feeling sick... I did love how she wasn't going to let Becky work there and was a little let down that she gave in... but I love her being so protective of Becky... goodness knows that girl needs it.

Gracie Bell was all kinds of awesome! Starfish Princess... she's not your friend... high 5ing Epick... draw Starfish Princess... awesome!

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 11:16 AM

The Epyck situation was terribly sad, and very real. Kids like that often have so much good in them, but have been broken by things they have had little control over. Most of us are uncomfortable with writing anyone off as a lost cause at such an age, and that story is playing out very nicely. Interestingly, Epyck doesn't seem to have been intended as a major character in her own right, but rather a Tami project and something meaty for her to do this season.

Enjoyed seeing Vince get some much deserved comeuppance. Jess is fast becoming my favourite character, I loved that she stayed back to coach Luke. I'm looking forward to the scene where Coach realises just how much she has contributed to the team.

Matt and Julie are complicated. Always have been and that goodbye was just more of the same. Good on him for calling her out on her s**t.

I'd totally forgotten about the situation between Becky and Luke's mother until the end of the episode. Definitely going to be some serious tension there! Wait until she finds out Becky is working in a strip club to boot.

Edited by Misty77, Jan 13, 2011 @ 12:37 PM.

LaVieDouce

LaVieDouce

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

Last night's episode was great, as has been this whole season.

Matt/Julie were love. I got butterflies when Matt kissed her and I cried when they both said ILY to each other before she left. I'm glad Matt made her go back to face her life.

Tammy/Epyck was so sad. Tammy wanted to help her so badly and you could tell how proud she was of the growth Epyck had shown. That storyline showed how seriously broken the system really is and how good kids are getting screwed over.

I adore Luke. He is up there with Matt for me. He was so damn sweet with Becky. I loved how he proudly showed her off in the end. Luke/Becky are adorable. I am so happy he won the game for his team, he really has been their unsung hero and leader.

Vince, oh Vince. I feel so bad for him, you can tell how this is killing him, but his arrogance has gotten the best of him. Daddy Ornette has been his downfall. Good for his mom telling him to not always follow his advice.

Jess rocks! You go girl! LOVED that scene with her and Luke and her and Coach.

Gracie Bell is adorable!

Needs more Hastings, Tinker, Buddy and Buddy Jr.

mathetria

mathetria

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 6:05 PM

Matt/Julie were love. I got butterflies when Matt kissed her and I cried when they both said ILY to each other before she left. I'm glad Matt made her go back to face her life.

Me too - the tears were just streaming. Just like old times.

Now that all the old characters are returning, I am as nostalgic as ever and really don't want this to be the end. Oh how I love me some FNL.

Red Soled Shoes

Red Soled Shoes

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 7:02 PM

So few replies?

I LOVED this episode, but I think my eternal devotion to Mulie has perhaps clouded my judgement. I love love love love love love love love them soooooo much ahhhhh its ridiculous. Why it never occured to them that Julie could easily go to Northwestern or the University of Chicago or the UofIllatChi, for example. They CAN be together. And if, God forbid, they dont work out (but they will) Julie will still be in a huge, vibrant city with plenty of people and opportunities for herself.

I'm so sad Vince and Jess broke up, they are the new Mulie to me, but it was time. I hope they get back together before the show's over, but good for Jess for telling Vince what's up. That girl doesn't take any shit from anybody and that's one of the reasons Vince fell for her. And its one of the reasons why I love her too. Its so rare to see a high school girl that confident and self assured. When she was crying about their break up in the locker room and Coach came over.... ahhhh my heart broke for her!!

Luke and Becky! YAY! I love them too. They are just so sweet and Luke is so pathetic for her its amazing haha.

Tami/Epyck bore me but it was sad to see her get led away, and while little Gracie Bell's fivehead still is unfortunate, she was SO precious and adorable, that little actress' voice alone made me swoon!

KSchach

KSchach

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 9:40 PM

Even though many stories progressed, this episode felt more like a set-up episode to me and not as satisfying in and off itself.

I also wish that they would be more consistent with the characters' ages, but they haven't been since Season 1 I suppose so that probably can't be expected. I would have assumed Luke to be a junior as Vince is, seeing as how they were playing up trying to build him up as a potential college recruit, and all of a sudden it's his last home game as a senior. Also, it seems inconsistent that Luke was built up as a huge star when he was forced to transfer from West to East and yet he isn't even on college's radar for scholarship offers. With that said, it's easier to nitpick when so much else about the show is flawless.

Anyone catch what Tinker said to Luke about how much time he needed back there as quarterback? Sounded funny but I didn't catch it.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

I would have assumed Luke to be a junior as Vince is, seeing as how they were playing up trying to build him up as a potential college recruit, and all of a sudden it's his last home game as a senior.

Luke has been noted as a senior from the start of this season. The reason TMU could openly "recruit" him was because he is a senior.

I don't remember if it was explicitly stated last year that Luke was a junior but what seems strange to me now is that last year Vince was a sophomore...

Edited by Meredith, Jan 13, 2011 @ 10:14 PM.

NeilMcCauley

NeilMcCauley

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 10:50 PM

Ah, that's FNL...can't sweat the ages too much.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

Great episode! Loved Matt and Julie, and, yeah, he totally saw what she was doing. But, really, she's hardly enmeshed in her 'life' anywhere else, and if they'd make a commitment to each other I could see her cleaning up what's left at the other school, then let her parents know what she's planning, and join Matt. It's similar to the Lila/Tim situation in that there really wasn't much reason for him to stay in Dillon and not leave with her (which would have been a far better outcome for him than where he is now). Julie's old enough to make some permanent plans, and Matt seems willing. I hope they work out.
Glad Luke turned it around at the end of the game. I was afraid they were going to parallel Tami's failure with Epic (yk?) and have Coach forced to play Vince. The win definitely bolstered Luke's confidence as evidenced by his later being willing to include Becky in the plans with his parents.
I'm not that certain that Mindy is that upset about being pregnant. There are legitimate concerns with finances and losing work and all, but she's been at that job for awhile. There are office and behind the scenes positions at a strip club that she might be able to take while pregnant, and Billy's shown this season that he might just be able to step in if Coach were to leave. I think they could and will manage. They're kind of awesome.
Speaking of awesome, Jess just keeps getting better and better. When and if Vince sorts all this out, I can see them getting back together. But Jess is no doormat. Loved the scene in the locker room with Coach. His reactions were perfect.
I've said it before, but I am SO glad that if the show has to end, at least it's going out well, with strong storylines and characters.

Pixles

Pixles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2011 @ 9:23 AM

Very interesting that Vince's mom noted that while Ornette loves Vince, he's maybe not doing the best things for him, given that she begged Vince to give his dad another chance in their lives. and then that's confirmed when Ornette is ready to knock Coach out.

I'm not even sure if he loves Vince, or he loves the money that Vince will be making in the future. His one-track mind is free stuff/money/deals and not really Vince or Vince's team. He wanted Luke to fail and the team to lose.

I'm surprised Vince's helmet fits his head with the ego he now has. He makes Smash's head look small. Vince's father has been his downfall and the teams downfall by Vince becoming his father's puppet. Loved Jess for pointing that out to him. Happy that Coach benched him and that Luke pulled off the win.

The whole Epyck plot bored me.

Loved the Matt and Julie scenes and that Matt read write through her. His chasing the car at the end was so perfect.

LadySadie

LadySadie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2011 @ 10:26 AM

Vince was clearly stunned that the team was actually able to win without him. It's a pretty deflating moment when you realize that you're not indispensible, and that people will figure out a way to get things done without you. I'm so glad it worked out that way...I was worried that Coach would have to put Vince in at the last minute to save the day, and after that he would have been insufferable.

I like that Vince's mom is smart enough to see what's going on with Vince and Ornette, and that she was the one to counsel him to not listen to everything his dad says. She's probably the only person that advice could have come from without putting Vince instantly on the defensive. When Jess brought it up, Vince jumped all over her, and we've seen him ignore Coach's input about the subject as well. That his mom, who pleaded with Vince to give Ornette another chance, is the one to say that Ornette is not always right about everything was probably pretty significant for Vince. Telling him, "You've got a good head on your shoulders. Use it," was her way of telling Vince that he knows perfectly well that the way Ornette is handling things is wrong (talking Vince into skipping practice, talking directly to colleges even though he's still a junior, treating his teammates like crap, etc) but that he's been ignoring his own moral compass. I can't blame Vince completely though. His father has been absent his whole life, and now all of a sudden, there he is, wanting to fill that void. Vince's mistake has been thinking that Ornette's motives are pure. Ornette is way more interested in the money Vince can make (and therefore, indirectly, the money he will make) than in what's best for Vince.

Poor Tami. She was so happy to see Epyck finally opening up to her, and then it was all shot to hell. It kind of makes the whole storyline sort of pointless though. I mean, all this time has been spent on Epyck this season, and now all of a sudden she's gone.

Jess is awesome. I wish I could have been that confident and self-assured at that age. She really doesn't take any crap from anyone. I was so glad to see her call Vince out on his BS. The scene with her and Coach when she was crying was great.

I just love Luke and Becky. I was happy that she told Luke that yes, she was pissed that he wouldn't bring her to dinner with his parents instead of just pretending that everything was fine. Luke's line about his mother, "She's judgemental and crazy," cracked me up. Good for him for standing up to her by insisting that Becky come along to dinner too. That couldn't have been easy for him, as disapproving as she is. And he wore the tie Becky got for him. Awwww. Becky really annoyed the hell out of me at first, but now I like her alot. I hope she doesn't dump Luke for Tim whenever he gets out of prison.

Outlaw43

Outlaw43

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2011 @ 10:38 AM

I think that people are being a little too hard on Ornette--sure, he's no saint, but I think that his interest in Vince's future is genuine and not just an attempt to cash in on his son's success. Going back to the scene where he beat down the guy who Vince owed money to, I've gotten the sense that Ornette carries a lot of guilt over not being there for his family.

Also, I know that you can't take the football scenes too literally, but why on Earth would Luke have dropped back to pass at any point in that game? Coach said they were using him for wildcat packages in practice, and he's a freaking runningback!

HyacinthBucket

HyacinthBucket

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

I think that people are being a little too hard on Ornette--sure, he's no saint, but I think that his interest in Vince's future is genuine and not just an attempt to cash in on his son's success. Going back to the scene where he beat down the guy who Vince owed money to, I've gotten the sense that Ornette carries a lot of guilt over not being there for his family.

I hope you are right, Outlaw43, for Vince and his mother's sake. I'm feeling a sinister vibe from him now, beginning with the beat down a few weeks ago, and especially with the glaring stare aimed at Coach. I do believe he cares about Vince and wants to make things up to him, but I think we'll see him lose control soon. It looks like Vince is starting to see the light, and Ornette will not like it if Vince chooses Eric's guidance over his own. Ornette's treatment of Eric - a highly respected, trusted, and well-liked coach - seems to be graduating from disrespectful to mocking, and now to outright menacing, IMO.

I don't know what the plans are for Matt Saracen's character over the next four episodes, but I don't think it is humanly possible to adore Matt Saracen more than I do right now. He is exactly what Julie needed to begin to realize what she had done wrong. Her attitude during the last two or three episodes has been, "I didn't do anything wrong. I'm not the one with a problem." In the last scene when Julie is in the car, you can see it is finally weighing her down, as if she finally understood why her parents were so disappointed in her. Her realization, combined with Matt's reassurance that they will work things out, gives me hope that this wretched storyline is behind us. Julie has a long drive back to college, and I can picture her spending a lot of it thinking and crying.

As much as I have disliked the TA arc, I also have to admit that some great scenes have come from it that will stay with me for a long time. I will never forget seeing Eric drag a screaming Julie down the hall, Tami's first run-in with the TA at college, Eric backing the TA down the sidewalk and into his car, Eric's palpable disappointment in Julie, and finally seeing Julie in Matt Saracen's arms as he gives her the forgiveness she needs. (I compare this to the Tritter arc during Season 3 of House. The whole thing was tedious and absurd at times, but there were some fantastic scenes that came out of it.)

I'm going to miss this show.

Edited by HyacinthBucket, Jan 16, 2011 @ 12:42 PM.

LibyoftheEast

LibyoftheEast

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 3:08 PM

As much as I have disliked the TA arc, I also have to admit that some great scenes have come from it that will stay with me for a long time. I will never forget seeing Eric drag a screaming Julie down the hall, Tami's first run-in with the TA at college, Eric backing the TA down the sidewalk and into his car, Eric's palpable disappointment in Julie, and finally seeing Julie in Matt Saracen's arms as he gives her the forgiveness she needs

The whole point of that storyline seems to be to give the Taylor's one last chance at some great parenting scenes (always a strong point of the show) and to provide a return for Matt that wouldn't seem too contrived. Very little of it actually seems to be for the Julie character's sake. I'm not complaining about the end result because personally I'm glad Matt and Julie are getting back together and I'm really glad to get to see Matt one last time before we say goodbye forever. The reunion actually happened exactly the way I was hoping it would, but I can't shake the feeling that Matt has moved beyond where Julie is now. I wonder if after the initial happiness of reconciling, would they really work out? I'm not so sure if this was real life.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 6:44 PM

Julie and Matt would be more credible to me if Julie had in fact stuck with Habitat for Humanity, done good work and matured, then the two got together both having found purpose and followed their separate dreams. Now it just comes across like he's an adult and she's, like he said, using him for cover. She's not an adult at all, and for him to be with her feels like they're holding each other back. I don't know what they can do in the remaining episodes to make her grow enough to deserve him.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 8:18 PM

Julie and Matt would be more credible to me if Julie had in fact stuck with Habitat for Humanity, done good work and matured, then the two got together both having found purpose and followed their separate dreams. Now it just comes across like he's an adult and she's, like he said, using him for cover. She's not an adult at all, and for him to be with her feels like they're holding each other back. I don't know what they can do in the remaining episodes to make her grow enough to deserve him.

As much as I love Matt and Julie I can agree with this... but it wont bother me in the least if they end up together because I think this is one of the places these great writers failed miserably and it was something they did not have to do... and they could have done so much better... this entire TA thing was done, in my opinion, for drama, cheap drama and little else beyond giving Eric and Tami the stage... given that I do think the writers intent all along was for Matt and Julie end up together, you would think they would have had Julie go off and pursue her dreams, whatever that may be, and in that realize that she still wants Matt and then takes steps to make that happen... instead they have her sleeping with a married man and then running away in shame... Julie has digressed and I think they did her character a big disservice here because Julie is left to look like an idiot who doesn't deserve a great guy like Matt... and that is not the Julie we saw in season 3 and 4.

Julie and the TA is sort of like Matt last season just up and leaving and not calling Julie... all that was done for dramatics and little else.

Shame on the writers for going the cheap way here... this is up there with the Landry is a murderer plot.

Edited by Meredith, Jan 16, 2011 @ 8:45 PM.

Hooper

Hooper

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:03 PM

I don't know what they can do in the remaining episodes to make her [Julie] grow enough to deserve him [Matt].

This sums up my opinion perfectly. It seems like there could have been so many great ways they could have had Julie actually grow over the past two seasons, and instead she and Gracie Belle are rapidly converging on the same level of maturity. I would have loved a fairy tale ending in which Julie and Matt rode happily into the sunset together, if only I felt like they were riding off together as partners, and not as if Matt were adopting a child.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 8:54 PM

I'm okay with Matt and Julie. We have seen several times throughout the series that Julie has the idea that she can't be with Matt and be her own successful happy person. She seems to equate staying with your high school sweetheart means you have to quit college, get married, make minimum wage, and popping out kids.

Matt's growing up was about him finally doing something for himself - he left Grandma, he left Julie, he left a life he was far too young for and choose to not be a martyr. He learned you have to put yourself first sometimes in order to be happy. My opinion is that Julie will go through the opposite - I think that her growing up might be to realize that sometimes you compromise or change your plans for people that you love because your life is ultimately that much better with them in it.

I liked the Epyck storyline resolution because it was messy and realistic. Unfortunately, not even the awesome Tami Taylor can save every kid.

LibyoftheEast

LibyoftheEast

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

Humm, that's a well thought out position CookieChica. I just hope we get to see maturation/realization like that in Julie with the few episode we have left. I want to see Matt and Julie end up together but I want them both to end up together for the right reasons. The show hasn't shown that yet so I really hope we get a few scene of Julie back at college figuring things out as an adult.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 8:11 AM

Matt's growing up was about him finally doing something for himself - he left Grandma, he left Julie, he left a life he was far too young for and choose to not be a martyr. He learned you have to put yourself first sometimes in order to be happy. My opinion is that Julie will go through the opposite - I think that her growing up might be to realize that sometimes you compromise or change your plans for people that you love because your life is ultimately that much better with them in it.

I agree about Julie's mindset and I even think she may now realized that sometimes you compromise or change your plans for people that you love because your life is ultimately that much better with them in it.

klarsonovsky

klarsonovsky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

I liked the Epyck storyline resolution because it was messy and realistic. Unfortunately, not even the awesome Tami Taylor can save every kid.

I hope you're right. But am I the only one who smells a potential Taylors-as-foster-parents development?

LibyoftheEast

LibyoftheEast

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 11:54 PM

But am I the only one who smells a potential Taylors-as-foster-parents development?

A potentially interesting storyline, but with only three episodes left and a lot of storylines to tie up in nice little bows, I doubt they would introduce something like that. I do wonder if the writer will let Epyck be left as a failure. It's sadly realistic, but as much as some of the characters on FNL have been dragged down there is always some sort of salvation. I haven't seen the next episode yet, but "knowing" Tami, the issue hasn't been dropped.

TookiClothespin

TookiClothespin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

I'll add that i thought this was a strong episode for Luke and Jess both.

Jess' storyline is starting to frustrate me a bit because I feel like her talent goes unrecognized by the other characters and she's okay with that.

I was really wishing Coach would walk in when she was teaching Luke those plays. From her work with Vince and the scene where she pointed out Tinker reacting to the snap count, it seems like she's smart enough to at least do Billy Riggins' job. I just hope she gets a moment before the show ends when someone realizes she can do more than just wash towels.

(Also, speaking of Billy, his reaction to Mindy's pregnancy was AWESOME. I feel awful for Mindy; she doesn't want a baby and she can't afford it. But Billy's such a loveable character in his goofy way.)

NoWillToResist

NoWillToResist

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 11:46 PM

good for Jess for telling Vince what's up. That girl doesn't take any shit from anybody

Yeah, Jess killed it in her confrontation with him. She was awesome. I was cheering her on.

Vince was clearly stunned that the team was actually able to win without him. It's a pretty deflating moment when you realize that you're not indispensible, and that people will figure out a way to get things done without you. I'm so glad it worked out that way...I was worried that Coach would have to put Vince in at the last minute to save the day, and after that he would have been insufferable.

Actually, I figured that Coach Taylor would have taken a loss with Luke over un-benching Vince. It would show that Eric isn't only concerned with winning (which is what Ornette was saying to Vince). I am also really glad that they won because it made Luke happy and at the same time took the wind right out of Vince's sails. Maybe he can get back to being the awesome kid he was earlier this season.

Is there a better person than Matt Saracen? No, seriously. My God. He takes Julie in, is completely adorable with her and yet, despite his own personal wishes (that she stay), he sends her on her way because it's what's best for her. Sigh. Love him. Gilford and Teegarden have such lovely chemistry. A hearty 'thank you' to TPTB for leaving things hopeful between them.

crogos

crogos

Video Archivist

• Interests:Besides reading anything I can get my hands on, I enjoy watching House, Supernatural, The Office, My Boys, Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol and The Amazing Race.<br /><br />I also play tennis and follow the EPL, the San Antonio Spurs and the Toronto Raptors.

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 1:35 AM

Football seems to be the only thing going right for anyone this episode.

... Can't believe there's only 2 more episodes. :(

I don't know how they're going to close up this show in 2 episodes!! There's so much that could still happen!

I wish we could develop Jess' story more. I want to see what happens to Vince next season, his senior year. I want to find out what happens to the shared team....Lions may get State this year, but Panthers have a longer legacy, which is still relevant, and Panthers have the money. I want to know what happens to Tim and how he deals with having been in prison. I want more Billy and Mindy Riggins!. AH!!! :( :( :(

I do have a question, what age is it to serve/drink in Texas? Is it different from the rest of the states? Like 19 instead of 21?

Cuz....Yeah. Tim is only what? 19? 20? 21 is a stretch. Becky is 17(?!) and serving alcohol...Maybe Canada has different laws....but yeah. You still have to be 18 to serve liquor--19 to drink, most places. I recall Landry and Saracen getting picked up by an undercover cop there....You'd think they'd be pretty strict about hiring.

Also, I'm glad they remembered that Mama Vince was a former addict. I mean, yeah, she's done great with recovery, but it was only last season that she met Coach for the first time, strung out and asking him for money to get more drugs. I was shocked when she first let Ornette back into her life considering the long and winding road she and Vince have been on because he exposed her to drugs and the like.

Annnnyways. I'm glad for the break from Julie. I'll take that for as long as possible, thanks! I liked the boys getting pumped and taking the initiative to work out and run and get the team spirit up together. I'm interested to see how things work out for Tami and Coach, especially with the offer on the table plus the drama surrounding the programs merging.....Oh MAN! WHY 2 EPISODES?!

Also, loved the Smash Williams on tv! Awww, I'm so happy things worked out for him! :) I know he's a fictional character, but I can't help but get excited at (fake) news saying that he's a draft prospect :D

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 2:28 AM

problem corrected.

Edited by TryingHarder, Jan 27, 2011 @ 12:47 PM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2011 @ 9:24 PM

First off, I have to start out with a complaint. Eric wants to use the wildcat with Luke yet has him take the ball under center and throw the ball like he's a real QB. WTF?!! Generally in a wildcat, the running back (or whomever is running it) runs with the ball. It's a way to utilize that players atheleticism and produce some big plays. What Luke did on the final drive is what he should have been doing the entire game, with an occassional pass thrown in to keep the defense honest. I'm sorry but I found the way it was portrayed to be completely stupid and a very poorly written aspect of the episode. Add to that another last-second victory.

That being said, this was yet another good episode. Loved the scene where Billy found out Mindy was pregnant. It was hysterical, particularly when he found out that Mindy had peed on it. Matt and Julie produced their usual good chemistry and I'm glad that he called her out on what she was doing. I have no idea why the writers have decided to make Julie so unlikeable and pathetic in the final season. It's really too late for them to fix it. I have a feeling things could get ugly between Coach and Ornette. I wonder if this is the last we'll see of Epyck. It would be sad but an effective way to show that not everything turns out great. Liked Jess/Luke, Vince and his mom and Epcyk/Grace scenes.

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

So much love for all of the writers and actors across the board on FNL. Why this show is not watched by more people is so surprising to me. Loved so many scenes this epi- Epyck and Gracie, Matt and Julie, CT and Jess, Mindy and Becky, Becky and Luke- I will miss FNL. Billy using the pregnancy stick as a cigar- classic- and Mindy reminding him she has peed on it. Saw Super 8 yesterday. Kyle Chandler rocked it.