Top Chef Canada

• Please log in to reply

707 replies to this topic

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 8:30 PM

Derek's first video blog for TC has a couple of interesting points: (1) he regrets leaving the skin on, and (2) he spent a third of his time making a herb salad that he didn't get on the plate because he also ran out of time.

And Francois' video blog reveals that some cool QF tidbits. He did do salmon for his QF. Didn't get enough pinbones out on his first or second checks, so they were allowed to call for multiple checks. And for the artichokes, the cheftestants had a sample (by McEwan?) before they started, so they should have all known to leave the stems on. As for his EC blog, his accent makes "Loblaws" sound like "Low Blows", which I think is hilarious.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

Francois accent in English is sort of Quebecois but also sort of French French. Strange mix! He might be my favourite, but that's b/c I'm a sucker for the Quebecois when they speak English. It's adorable. Also, he's really talented!

lilya

lilya

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

I was pleasantly surprised by TCC. I was worried that without the judges and so forth that we're used to seeing, it would seem too weird, but it didn't! Yay!

There can't be too many of this type of show for me, I even watch reruns of Chopped.

They have included all of the elements that I love about TC, but I agree, watching them passing down the plates was a bit of a shock. Even if that's the way they do it, I'm sure they don't double dip with their utensils, but... for instance, when you have three scallops on a plate, you'd take your fork, take a bite; use that fork for the next bite of food... so no, there's just no way to NOT double dip unless someone's standing behind you with an endless supply of utensils, and I didn't see that.

Perhaps they only did it this way because of the sheer number of competitors and the amount of food involved. Plus, it would save $$ if they only had to prepare a single plate per contestant for that many. Maybe it will change when they get fewer people in there.

I loved how the pierogie dish had basically the same elements as it usually would have, but everyone loved the combo just as though it were a new way. Heh.

Sammie5

Sammie5

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2011 @ 6:51 PM

I am perplexed by Michael's bio and id on the show, he is not really a personal chef, he has worked in a few restaurants (Langdon Hall, for one, which is fairly competitive), and owns a catering company and is the chef at a local restaurant. Not really high end, it's a "gourmet" take out place with some seating, but has a good reputation. I hope that congealed goat cheese in tomato consomme is not on the menu there.

village

village

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 4:15 AM

Looks like the show is off to a pretty good start. From here:

The premiere episode of Top Chef Canada devoured the competition Monday night, drawing in unprecedented audience numbers for a single play with 317,000 (2+) and 212,000 (A25-54). This makes it the highest-rated Canadian original premiere in Food Network Canada’s history as well as the highest-rated premiere this broadcast year in both the 2+ and A25-54 demographic on Food Network Canada.

Sandstar

Sandstar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

What's 2+? I assume a25-54 is an age range, but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone on the food network or anywhere else would covet the 2 year old demographic.

Edited by Sandstar, Apr 17, 2011 @ 2:04 PM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

Oh, babies are all about congealed goat cheese!

Stupid question but how do they actually calculate how many people are watching? I don't have any special boxes or gadgets so how do they know that I was watching? I'm always confused by how they actually figure out ratings.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 4:41 AM

Statistics: they have Neilsen families and extrapolate total viewership from their sample set.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 4:50 AM

(sorry, double post)

Edited by arc, Apr 18, 2011 @ 4:52 AM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2011 @ 9:02 AM

That still makes no sense to me. What if none of the Nielsen families watch a show but everyone else in the world does? Ehhhh, I guess that's why I'm not a rich tv exec.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:39 AM

Wacky episode tonight!

For the high stakes QF, it sort of seemed like Clayton got the boot because of experience instead of his dish. Not sure I cared for that judgement. I realize Dale has more experience but he's not coming through when it counts.

Who the heck does risotto for a cocktail party?? I cannot believe two of them did it! Utterly bizarre. I'm beginning to wonder about a lot of these contestants. That seems like such a stupid, inexperienced idea. Risotto does not hold. Not for a second. So strange. Jaime's beef roulade looked awful and ungainly. So poorly thought out. In fact, most of the offerings seemed either poorly executed or poorly conceived. Or worse, both!

I cringed when Darryl brought up his "smelly" partner. Yeesh. TMI, buddy. Check yourself. What a dope.

When Andrea mentioned she was doing a cheese cracker and some apple butter, I thought it was terrible boring. But she did so much more and it looked great. Kudos to her.

I felt bad for Rebekah (I think I'd have booted Jaime) but I did think her dish looked awful. Very unappetizing mass of red on red.

Really liking Rob. He might be my favourite so far.

So much innuendo this episode, mostly inadvertent. So much talk about swallowing, getting down, pulling etc.

Thea Andrews needs to take it down a few notches. She's too formal and stiff. Plus, she talks like she's in a pageant. Relax.

Edited by oakgal, Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:40 AM.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

So then, since Jamie deserved to go instead of Rebekah, I'm guessing he's going to be the cook who stays around waaaayyyyy past his expiry date for no real reason other than he's a douche and might cause some drama?

Edited by T Scrumptious, Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:42 AM.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 2:15 AM

For the high stakes QF, it sort of seemed like Clayton got the boot because of experience instead of his dish. Not sure I cared for that judgement.

Yeah. And with deliberations at JT, McEwan called out some of the cheftestants for their previous dishes too. I suppose we've always suspected that happens on US TC, but it's weird all the same to see it occur here.

That said, I think making an amuse bouche from a melon was a much better idea than wagyu beef or foie gras.

Word to everything else oakgal just said too. Darryl's concept for a portrait of Jaime was idiotic and twice over for deciding to do a risotto for a catering challenge. And as for Rebekah, who I wanted to like - how does braised veal come out that colour? Was it braised entirely in in red wine? Also, flashing back to a disastrous TC catering challenge that involved blini and how they don't hold well, I was wincing in anticipation... sorry to see I was right.

Jamie's dish was terrible in concept from top to bottom, but his worst step IMO came at JT when he said Darryl's tending to his risotto meant he couldn't do a cheese sauce. WTF. If he had a cheese sauce because his stuffing wasn't cheesy enough - and didn't he say earlier he used most of a big ol' wheel of cheese - he should have done that at prep time and then reheated it the next day. Actually, on rewatch, he was pouring some sauce over his dish at the event in three separate shots.

Risotto and blini at a catering challenge; I feel like the TCC cheftestants should have taken a spin through the "these things always fail on TC, don't do them" list before the competition.

A bit odd to see Chris and Francois both do weird ideas that didn't resonate well with the judges: asian-ish meatball with cheese chip, mussel with a cheese sauce.

I like Connie, but she's almost as affect-less as Koren Grieveson's quickfire judge appearance on Top Chef.

I wish TCC did those 75 minute episodes early in the season. It felt like they straight up skipped a few of the middle of the road QF entries.

Really liking Rob. He might be my favourite so far.

He's only a year older than "oh-so-young" Clayton.

I wonder how or if they reordered the sequence of which tables the judges went to. McEwan said Andrea's was the best taste so far; in the ep that was the second pair of cheftestants but it could have come much later and been a bigger tip off about who won.

Man, TCC cheftestants love truffle flavours. Hope that's all real truffles, not truffle oil. Truffle mentions definitely should be a "take a sip" for the TCC drinking game.

valueofaloonie

valueofaloonie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 9:05 AM

Not really surprised that Rebekah was eliminated last night...that blini looked terrible.

Personally, I thought the most interesting tidbit was about her bankruptcy. Her most recent restaurant here in Calgary, Nectar, closed VERY suddenly, as in one day it was open, the next there was an announcement they would be closing within a week. Some friends and I had been there several times (including the day before the closing was announced), and while the desserts were fantastic, we never saw more than half a dozen people in there.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 9:20 AM

A lot of those dishes looked terrible! Usually TC has me drooling but there were quite a few dishes last night that you couldn't have paid me to eat.

McEwan seemed so incensed by Hockey Boi's description of his partner, I feel like it could be 10 years down the road and he'd still be all: "I can't believe he mentioned farting in the same sentence as food!"

Loving Connie and Andrea! You go, girls!

Edited by Rachel RSL, Apr 19, 2011 @ 9:22 AM.

frege

frege

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:47 AM

@valueofaloonie- I wasn't a regular at Nectar by any means but it seemed to be doing well whenever I was there. AFAIK Rebekah is now consulting (not sure what that entails) at Anju, which is a Korean fusion place on 10 St near 6th Ave SW, the house surrounded by condo towers in the DT west end. I love what I've had there but have not been since she's been on board. I'm sure she'll land on her feet. But as to last night's ep- I suspected she'd get the boot because she got so much face time. And her dish looked terrible.

Hating the "no cheese with seafood" nonsense. It's arbitrary, stupid bullshit. Mark is such a pretentious dick.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

While I agree that Rebekah's dish looked pretty unappetizing, I thought Jamie and Darryl's looked just as bad (especially Darryl's). Darryl should have been booted because his dish was not only a bad idea, but it was poorly made and he was completely unprofessionally when explaining his dish. Jamie sucked two weeks in a row (and makes really uninspired dishes) AND he made bullshit complaints and tossed his partner under a bus to make himself look better when he knew he was in hot water. I know that they're being kept around in order to stir up some drama (especially Jamie who seems like a total douche) but it still sucks. Rebekah was definitely out of her league, but she is more talented than Jamie, at least. Her QF dish seemed ok, so I think she should have been given a pass this time. If it wasn't a reality television show, of course. Gotta have the drama!! I hope there's a huge fight between Darryl and Jamie next week, otherwise what was the point of keeping them?

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 6:02 PM

Darryl might deserve the LVP for this ep. By distracting Jamie, he might have kept Jamie from adding the cheese sauce to his roulade (?) for the judges, and that omission might have kept Jamie's dish from sinking below Rebekah's.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

Darryl might deserve the LVP for this ep. By distracting Jamie, he might have kept Jamie from adding the cheese sauce to his roulade (?) for the judges, and that omission might have kept Jamie's dish from sinking below Rebekah's.

I don't follow...was that sarcastic? I don't think Darryl really distracted Jamie from anything. Jamie was making excuses for his weak, weak dish. He wouldn't have been eliminated even if he had made some gross sauce to go with his boring, gross, badly conceived canape. He's an asshole who talks a big game but can't deliver anything better than someone in culinary school. He brings potential drama though (see throwing partner under bus) and that always wins. Rebekah was one of the weaker competitors (in savoury, I'm sure she kicks ass in dessert) but she seems to be an honest, sweet woman who is easy to get along with. That doesn't make a great reality tv contestant.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 9:52 PM

He wouldn't have been eliminated even if he had made some gross sauce to go with his boring, gross, badly conceived canape.

I like to think TCC is mostly about the food... (I know there are conspiracy theorists with regular TC as well, but I've always thought TC plays it pretty straight.)

And Jamie really did make a sauce. There are multiple clips of him spooning it over his dish. But the plates for the judges didn't have any, so maybe he thought better of it, maybe he really was distracted, maybe he just ran out of sauce.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

I like to think TCC is mostly about the food... (I know there are conspiracy theorists with regular TC as well, but I've always thought TC plays it pretty straight.)

Mostly, yes, but it's still reality television. Jamie sucked two weeks in a row and made ridiculous excuses. Those don't go down well in real kitchens. If it was only about food/technique, he would have been gone. His skill/creativity level is so low my co-workers and I laugh at him. He's the weakest link by far (and there are some weak link out there!) Why is he still there? Drama potential. He'll be around for some time. Will he win? No way! Will he come close? No! But he will beat out people with more talent and creativity. Yes, Top Chef is ultimately about food, but they have to give us (and the other cooks) someone to hate. Right? What's reality tv without the drama?

And Jamie really did make a sauce. There are multiple clips of him spooning it over his dish. But the plates for the judges didn't have any, so maybe he thought better of it, maybe he really was distracted, maybe he just ran out of sauce.

So if he made the sauce, why make up excuses and lies as to why he didn't use it? Because he's a talentless dickhead! And hey, it's what's keeping him around, so good on him?!? I'm fairly certain that the results would have been the same with sauce, and that Darryl had nothing to do with him leaving it off his boring-ass canape.

Edited by T Scrumptious, Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:14 PM.

CanCricket

CanCricket

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 4:55 AM

Wow, Jaime really is a massive douche. Incredibly unprofessional. His partner wasn't much better. Some of these guys really need some lessons in professionalism!

I love Team Sparkle! lol

shrunken violet

shrunken violet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

I've only seen the first episode so far, and I wasn't terribly impressed. The comparatively small size of our talent pool was very evident -- even based on the presentation alone -- after watching a few seasons of TC Original. (The talent pool thing doesn't seem to hold when it comes to our musicians and songwriters, but that's another story.) I'll give it another episode or two, but I'm sure there are better things I could do with my time.

alexis57

alexis57

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 10:29 AM

It's not case of a shallow pool of talent. There's plenty of world-class chefs in Canada, especially in Vancouver, and I was really surprised to see only one chef from Vancouver. I think it's more a case of the chefs that have the time & inclination to apply for a reality show, and the choices of the producers. It's a very Toronto-heavy set of chefs.

At this point, I'm more disappointed at the actual competition - in episode one, only one plate of food for 4 judges; in episode 2, the same ingredient for both the quickfire and the elimination challenges. And it's Cheese, not lobster, venison, shrimp - not surprised when Dale said, I like cheese, but I don't cook much with it.

And what's with Loblaws? Don't they have the budget for a Whole Foods?

redfin4

redfin4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 3:02 PM

Finally watched episode 2. Francois, you're killing me! Please get your time management issues under control. Also, it seems like truffles are this season's scallops - they're everywhere!

The show has only just started, so I'm willing to cut them some slack. It took a while for the US version to build up, so I don't expect the first season of a new version to be chock full of Hungs, Carlas and Voltaggios. Though, I do wish TCCa hadn't cast so many of That Guy in this season.

Lastly, one of the things I like about the US version is when a challenge is relevant to the city of that season. I'm hoping TCCa creates a few challenges that would be unique to only Toronto, though I don't know what those would be.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 3:29 PM

From what I know of Toronto, dim sum! Hopefully they'd do better than the All Stars did.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 8:19 PM

I'm hoping TCCa creates a few challenges that would be unique to only Toronto, though I don't know what those would be.

The thing about Toronto is, that there isn't anything unique to Toronto. Dim sum? Totally delicious, and Toronto does have a great China town, but is it unique to the city? No! As for Loblaws vs Whole Foods, I imagine (and appreciate) that they wanted to keep it Canadian.

I agree about the talent though, but I think it's because it's the first season. There are a few really talented chefs, but if we're talking proportions, the Canadian cooking talent is definitely not represented. I'm not surprised that it's heavy TO, just because it's a bigger city than the rest so there are more cooks around. It's too bad though, because I know Montreal has many, many superb cooks (and Vancouver too, from what I hear!) I'm sure other cities have talent as well. Hopefully subsequent seasons will be more representative of our country's talent, nation wide, instead of just Toronto (no offense, Toronto!)

Borpoh

Borpoh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

There's a actually a place called Loblaw? Is it owned by Bob Loblaw? How do people shop there without constantly cracking up?

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

There's a actually a place called Loblaw? Is it owned by Bob Loblaw? How do people shop there without constantly cracking up?

It's called Loblaws and it's a grocery store chain that has been around for as long as I can remember. It doesn't sound funny to me at all, but maybe that's because I grew up knowing the name. Some history Is it funny because if you but Bob in front of Loblaws it sounds like Blahblahblah? Since it's really only called Loblaws, I don't see the humour. Again, maybe that's because I'm used to it?

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

ince it's really only called Loblaws, I don't see the humour. Again, maybe that's because I'm used to it?

I believe this is an "Arrested Development" shout-out. Heh.

Liking Patrick the Sugar Bear. And Andrea is my dark horse to take it. I was in Montreal recently and was pleasantly astounded by the amount of fantastic cuisine and variations thereof. I'm surprised there are not more Montreal representatives.