Top Chef Canada

• Please log in to reply

708 replies to this topic

shatanwe

shatanwe

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2014 @ 9:10 PM

The women they DID wind up casting seem terrible.   Is Canada especially female chef-unfriendly that when they felt they DID need to have an equal number that they had to resort to absolute garbage, who never tasted Chinese food and make horrible salads on a hot day?

I've always felt Top Chef Canada usually has had a less impressive overall cast than regular Top Chef. Not because Canada makes bad chefs, but because the US has ten times the population to pull from and several of the major food meccas chefs flock to, to pull from. So Top Chef tends to have a good choice of the general US population of chefs and all the non-US chefs who come there. The stuff from the women this episode was pretty lackluster.. but nothing exciting from the guys either. And the same goes for the last two episodes. Overall it's gotten into the groove I expect of TCC: not a lot of exciting talent, a lot of embarrassing failures.

Edited by shatanwe, Mar 28, 2014 @ 9:14 PM.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 7:18 PM

If Top Chef Canada is so much worse than US Top Chef, then how come we don't get the same for Chopped/Chopped Canada?  I think the results are fairly similar. 

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 9:46 AM

Could be a few reasons for that. Top Chef Canada requires a much bigger comittment than Chopped does; Chopped you only need a day for filming basically, maybe a day on either side for travel and setup. Top Chef, you need to spend weeks in Toronto. It's a lot harder to spare that time for just the chance of a prize. 

I think the bigger issue is that this is the third season of TCC, so we've churned through a lot of the possible contestants already so now we're picking up the up and comers and such. 

wingsabre

wingsabre

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

Also, if we are to believe most reality shows (and in this one case I kind of do), women don't collaborate well with each other on them.  It always seems to come down to them attacking each other rather than being professional, whereas the male teams put their differences aside.  Go watch any season of Hell's Kitchen, for example, or most seasons of Survivor or The Biggest Loser with Male/Female alliances.  Now this may not translate to women in an actual workplace, but at least the ones who wind up on reality shows don't tend to play well together at all.  Not that this is what killed them in this last episode.  Teamwork, no teamwork, little was going to save them when their individual choices were bad (each dish sucked all on its own) quite apart from any issue of how the meal flowed or how to dishes completed each other. 

My point of view is, had they collaborated on the menu, they'd realize that they all planned to do a salad dish, and some will change their course so it won't be so side heavy.  They would also say, "that potato salad sounds interesting, but the ingredients don't sound like they'll work together."  Of course, the first episode, where I expected someone to say "hey, lavender pasta doesn't sound good, unless you like soap."  I think what happened was the all went for a dish that they'd like to eat in a hot event.  The potato salad was thoughtless, and the wilted green goddess salad was dressed too soon.  It should be dressed al la minute.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 12:36 PM

Isn't this season four, not three?

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 5:21 PM

Is it? My bad if it is. I was just going off memory. Just proves my point more then. :)

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 1:13 AM

Once again, the women they (unfortunately) cast were totally incompetent. I mean just stupid idiotic crap again.  

It's almost like someone in the casting department resented the order to "get more female chefs" and got the worst ones possible.  I mean a JUNIOR SOUS CHEF?   Come on.  That's like barely trying to cast someone.

DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 11:24 PM

I guess we can safely say that 100% for sure a woman won't be winning this season. I think most of the women seem to be decent chefs, but they look to be completely outclassed by the men and also most if not all seem to defer to the guys way to easily.

Both Karine and Lauren had partners with immunity yet both STILL allowed their partners to take charge and call the shots as to what would be made. Lauren allowed Rich to marginalize her and she ended up contributing very little to the dish. Karine let Vittorio call the shots and she didn't execute her part well and she was kicked.

Seems like this season more than the previous three, the male chefs don't really respect the abilities of the females on the show and they're not shy about saying so and even though its kinda insulting, so far they're right for the most part. None of the women have shown they can compete with the guys thus far.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 4:07 AM

Sleazy Top Chef Canada thinks everyone gives a shit about the showmance of the two shitty cooks, as they're throwing them together in challenges and keeping them on as long as possible. 

Evelynn is such a gross woman: dishonest and happy to skate by, so long as she can be the gigging bimbo with the boyfriend (who just regards her as the easy lay she is).

Does Lauren remind anyone of Bethenny Frankel in the way she talks and looks? I totally related to her story of seeing her family's health suffer and wishing she could have helped them through what she knows now about nutrition. Sucks that she was affected by Rene's abusive machismo last episode and, as a result, was faulted for becoming submissive.

I really like Pierre, the illustrator-chef. He's got a great attitude and even got Shelley to stop scowling. 

Edited by anonymiss, Apr 9, 2014 @ 4:11 AM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 8:22 AM

Pierre became my new favourite after his comment about 110% being a mathematical impossibility because YES! That drives me crazy.

babydollbrat

babydollbrat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 5:16 PM

Team Jesse all the way.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 7:03 PM

I guess we can safely say that 100% for sure a woman won't be winning this season. I think most of the women seem to be decent chefs, but they look to be completely outclassed by the men and also most if not all seem to defer to the guys way to easily.

Maybe some call went out among the truly excellent female chefs of Canada to stay away when they were casting this season--that maybe the show didn't have their best interests in mind.  

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 9:13 PM

Both Karine and Lauren had partners with immunity yet both STILL allowed their partners to take charge and call the shots as to what would be made. Lauren allowed Rich to marginalize her and she ended up contributing very little to the dish. Karine let Vittorio call the shots and she didn't execute her part well and she was kicked.

Seems like this season more than the previous three, the male chefs don't really respect the abilities of the females on the show and they're not shy about saying so and even though its kinda insulting, so far they're right for the most part. 

Rene is the one who seems to be the biggest piece of shit among the male chefs in terms of being dismissive.  Not that the women cast haven't been pathetic, mind you, but that guy seems to like generalizing and being smarmy overall.

Although I'll admit that Mr. Hotdogs = Chicken was just as bad.  While it seems like Karine was the one who got actual chicken breast, I think it was because he so badly communicated why he wanted Chicken in the first place. Because you know... it made no sense in the first place.  And the way he talked back to the judges communicated sheer arrogance.

Edited by Kromm, Apr 9, 2014 @ 9:36 PM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 9:38 PM

And Vittorio not going for his nonsense?  Makes no sense.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

I really wish this show would not give immunity to anyone.  Just give the QF winner an advantage in the challenge.  But immunity for 2 chefs when 2 are being sent home is not fair.  Rich never seems to care when he has immunity.  He throws everyone under the bus and just does what he wants.  Rene is sexist and does not respect the women.  If they had to give 2 immunity then they should have been paired together.  Vittorio didn't deserve to stay either.  But I do believe they wanted to keep their showmance couple around a little longer for the drama. 

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 2:01 AM

I enjoyed seeing the normally macho Rene fanning himself over Morimoto and being so humbled by him. It was also amusing when Jesse explained how he couldn't bring himself to correct how Morimoto was whisking for him.

"Vittorio's concubine" was fortunate she leeched off her team to escape elimination again and that Pierre was set on his dry dish.

I loved how Morimoto quietly picked up the rack of lamb and devoured it while Lynn Crawford prattled on about how it was so tough to cut into to. Lynn is a pretentious phony. She's so insecure about how not important/sophisticated she is that she's always overacting that she's a big deal, like how she handled Pierre's nervous greeting. She looks especially stupid when she does her "I'm so hardcore" expression, which she frequently does on Chopped as she delivers the elimination. (I recall how she helped her team lose Restaurant Wars for being an arrogant dumbass then, too.)

I liked seeing a very different Rich this time. He's definitely humbled after leading his team to a loss and nicely was patient with Pierre and stuck up for him.

Edited by anonymiss, Apr 16, 2014 @ 3:09 AM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 9:55 AM

I took such pleasure in seeing Rene in the bottom of the Quickfire after he had just fangirled all over Morimoto but then it was ruined by him winning the Elimination Challenge. God, that guy is so smarmy. I feel bad when I actively root against people but, damn, I really want that guy to fail at everything he cooks on this show. And possibly in real life too.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2014 @ 2:52 PM

Colour me shocked that I also quite liked Rich and how he acted this episode.  Normally, he's quite arrogant and selfish, but he was quite equal in his blame for the team's failure.  Shelley seemed to think she hadn't done anything wrong, which really bugged, since the panel hated her dish.  I think if Pierre hadn't failed so spectacularly, she would have gone home.  And I can't wait until she goes!!

Also, add me to the list who enjoyed seeing Rene humbled in front of Morimoto, but then got annoyed when he did so well in Restaurant Wars!  I was also annoyed that Vittorio did so well.  He is such an awful person and usually his food isn't so great.  I was hoping he would go home this week!!

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 5:43 AM

Rich was never as bad as Rene, IMO.  

That said, it's probably easy for the male chefs to feel smug given how pathetic a job casting did with the female chefs.  Given how many decent ones Chopped Canada has found it's almost like they went out of their way to find garbage.

Pierre was about the only thing worse on this show than the female chefs.  Nice guy I guess, but he really had no business being on this show.