Top Chef Canada

• Please log in to reply

708 replies to this topic

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

Trevor's sense of humour cracks me up big time. He's my favourite just because of that. I hope he goes all the way.

What was up with the Quickfire winner getting a trip to NYC but 2nd place getting $3000? That seems kind of backwards to me. NYC is expensive but it doesn't cost $3000.

I wonder how they choose who gets to be a guest for dinner. What did Rick the Temp have to do with anything? I wonder why they randomly invited him.

And I hope one of the challenges is to shop at the Rexdale (a lower income neighbourhood in Toronto)

Well, now that I know that freaking olive oil is $89 a bottle, I won't be shopping at McEwen's any time soon.

Edited by Rachel RSL, May 22, 2012 @ 2:56 PM.

peterredtail

peterredtail

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

Sadly my handsome French chef Xaviar was sent home for salty pasta despite having done well previously (I know, I know - that doesn't count!). But Trevor's constant whining about dessert was very annoying. Just get on with it boy. He has been at the bottom a few times now - but still manages to pull through. Is he doing special favours for Lisa? I would think a bad tiramasu is as bad as salty pasta...at least more effort was put into the pasta.

Sigh - I knew that a non-Canadian could never win this. Oh well I can now watch neutrally not caring about any of the remaining fugly constestants.

Edited by peterredtail, May 22, 2012 @ 3:48 PM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

I don't think they said the tiramisu was necessarily "bad". They just weren't wowed by it and didn't think it was anything special. Xavier's pasta, on the other hand, they thought was bad. (Loved him holding a grudge against Italy because of the World Cup, heh!)

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

I'm going to miss Xavier. Fuck the Italians!!

I'm confused by the whole 'going to be a featured dish in Milestones' thing. Twice now, they've chosen a non-winning dish for Milestones. You'd think that they would choose the winning, i.e. the best, dish. If a dish is good enough to be featured in Milestones, and come with a cash prize, shouldn't it be good enough to win?

I think Trevor was lucky not to go home this week. He screwed up in the Quickfire challenge by making the same dish twice, a boring dish at that. And his tiramisu was nothing special.

ETA - because spelling is important!

Edited by Canada, May 22, 2012 @ 5:00 PM.

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

I wonder how they choose who gets to be a guest for dinner. What did Rick the Temp have to do with anything? I wonder why they randomly invited him.

His last name, Campagnelli.

karashi

karashi

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

I've noticed that the "Milestones" dishes tend to be relatively simple and not too adventurous. Easily assembled in a chain restaurant's kitchen.

Carl is my favorite, but lately he seems to be ignoring the challenges as much as possible and cooking whatever he wants to.

peterredtail

peterredtail

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

[quote ]I've noticed that the "Milestones" dishes tend to be relatively simple and not too adventurous. Easily assembled in a chain restaurant's kitchen.

Carl is my favorite, but lately he seems to be ignoring the challenges as much as possible and cooking whatever he wants to. [\quote]

That is because he knows that David is the pre-ordained winner...hmmm his runner up prize 3000+dish at milestones was better than the winners prize of a trip to New York. I smell shenanigans. As soon as snooty McEwan criticized Xavier's flour choice I knew he was out. Less competition for David.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 6:35 AM

Good riddance to Xenophobic Xavier!

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

How on earth is he xenophobic? Because he jokingly said "Fuck the Italians!" when discussing the World Cup? Or did I miss something major? Because he's always seemed like a nice guy to me.

Founding Father

Founding Father

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Actually I had a feeling that Xavier should have gone earlier when he really tumbled but they gave him chances because he's French. He had just one too many trip to the bottom. In any case I am still not impressed by anyone in this season.

Edited by Founding Father, May 23, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.

Little_Mac

Little_Mac

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

Kraft Dinner. Milestones. McEwans. This show was all about the sponsors. I bet that this was the episode that they used to sell the shows to the various sponsors for season 3. I am almost certain that at least two of the Quickfire dish will make the next KD cookbook (Mac and Cheese Sandwich looks strangely tasty). As for the Milestone reward...

I've noticed that the "Milestones" dishes tend to be relatively simple and not too adventurous. Easily assembled in a chain restaurant's kitchen.

That is because he knows that David is the pre-ordained winner...hmmm his runner up prize 3000+dish at milestones was better than the winners prize of a trip to New York. I smell shenanigans.

Nah, I think that it was the judges versus the sponsors in this case. The judges clearly thought that Jonathan's dish was the best dish. Milestone said that we couldn't sell that dish in our chain restaurant. The soup with Poached egg is interesting, but I would doubt that it would be anything but a daily special. David's fish dish, though, screams Milestone main course entree. Hence, they split the prize.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

How on earth is he xenophobic? Because he jokingly said "Fuck the Italians!" when discussing the World Cup? Or did I miss something major? Because he's always seemed like a nice guy to me.

In my experience, that kind of "joking" almost always belies a more serious underlying tension. Just because it was about sport, doesn't mean it's not serious. People take their sports very seriously, and we have repeatedly seen sports matches sparking violence between different national groups. It's hard to take it lightly when sentiments such as that have so often resulted in actual bloodshed.

Besides that comment, he always seemed obsessed with ethnicity to me, constantly going on about how he is French. If not xenophobic, he certainly seems very nationalistic.

noisack

noisack

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

If not xenophobic, he certainly seems very nationalistic.

Yet the man uprooted his life to move to Canada, and expressed much gratitude on the show to his adopted country for giving him a new home.

Anyway, farewell to my lovely Frenchman who made this season so pleasurable for me. I have no particular rooting interest left, since I like all the remaining chefs, but I wouldn't mind seeing Jonathan take the whole thing.

I hope that someday I'll get to eat in a restaurant where Xavier Lacaze is cooking. With any luck, I'll get to see his smile in person.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 5:26 AM

Shereen Arazm was especially annoying on that front.

She's annoying on all fronts! I want her to go the way of the old host.

I'm going to call a Carl and Jonathan final two.

I agree about Arazm, but we have to ration the snark, one front at the time. ;-)

Based on technical skills alone, I would also say a Carl-Jonathan finale is very likely. However, each chef is at the mercy of having to cook with an unfamiliar ingredient, using a technique he has not experienced before or simply having a bad day. Plus, I think the show might prefer crazy-eyed David with his manic excesses as a winner, since that would make for more entertaining TV.

If not xenophobic, he certainly seems very nationalistic.

By that standard, the other contestants would qualifiy as being chauvinistic and parochial every time they mention their roots in BC, Ontario or the Maritimes and how proud they are of them.

The pairing of Kraft Dinner with that singer was inspired: manufactured pseudo-food alongside a vocalist with a prefabricated sound.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Yet the man uprooted his life to move to Canada, and expressed much gratitude on the show to his adopted country for giving him a new home.

Of course, Canada has no connection to France at all. It's a very hostile place for a Frenchman to move to.

By that standard, the other contestants would qualifiy as being chauvinistic and parochial every time they mention their roots in BC, Ontario or the Maritimes and how proud they are of them.

I agree. Why do they do that?

Edited by Not Lenny, May 24, 2012 @ 10:16 AM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Ok, well then I guess I'm xenophobic too because I spend most of hockey season saying "Fuck Ottawa!" and every Olympics saying "Fuck the USA!"

village

village

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Ok, well then I guess I'm xenophobic too because I spend most of hockey season saying "Fuck Ottawa!" and every Olympics saying "Fuck the USA!"

Please leave Ottawa out of this, thankyouverymuch. :P

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

Sorry. Leaf fan. It's an inherent reaction.

So why do we think David is the pre-ordained winner? I hope not. There's something about him I just find extremely creepy.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

I agree, re. David's creepiness. I've had a creepy vibe from him since the start and when they showed that pic of his girlfriend, it increased greatly. She looked about 18 years old. I really hope that he doesn't win. I think Jonathan is so much more deserving of the win.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

So why do we think David is the pre-ordained winner? I hope not. There's something about him I just find extremely creepy.

Is it his creepy face? And his weird behaviour? I hope he doesn't win. He's VERY inconsistent. When he's on, he's on...but that doesn't happen often. Either Jonathan or Carl should win. They're more consistent and less creepy, even though Carl is a robot and Jonathan seems kind of annoying.

telly

telly

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

I actually know David's fiancee and while I am sure she would be flattered to know that people think she looks like she is 18, she is actually well older than that.

As for who actually wins, I have no idea, but David and Jonathan have been getting the finalist edits. I thought Trevor was a sure bet, but with the last few weeks who knows.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:35 AM

Then I'm incredibly jealous, telly, and want to know her secrets!

I'm glad Jonathan made it to the finale. I would have been disappointed if he didn't get through. I really can't decide which one of these three is going to win the finale. They all seem equally talented. I'll pick Trevor for the win! Go Vancouver!

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

I think Jonathan has the best shot at winning. He's consistent and seems to be a forward thinker when it comes to food. I hate the bandanas but he has grown on me.

I was really disappointed in the food and presentation tonight. They had a great chance to showcase some finesse with plating and the chance to make things intricately beautiful and most were giant letdowns. I did like the look of David's, mostly. Carl's looked okay, but not that exciting. The fish looked tasty though. As for Trevor and Jonathan--dull city.

The preview seems to indicate they stay in Toronto for the finale. How boring. Again, Food Network cheaps out. Can't they at least go somewhere else? Would it be that pricey to get on the train and head to Quebec? Dullsville.

Nice to see the 5 digit prizes making an appearance. Finally. The last few weeks have been somewhat profitable. Of course, the lame-o countertop prize is also there. What good is a countertop? He might live at home, rent a crappy apartment--what good is it? Stupid. Just give them money. Everybody likes money.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

Some old lady judge: "I like the triangular plate, and then he has a triangular piece of fish"

WTF is this, kindergarten? I'm glad that one of the judges has the mental acuity to match two shapes together. Congratulations for achieving basic pattern-matching capabilities by the age of 60!

Edited by Not Lenny, May 29, 2012 @ 8:16 AM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

I thought that same thing about the triangle comment. Really? That's all it takes? I could totally be a judge on this show. And agreed about the crappy countertop prize! WTF? Again, 2nd place got the way better prize.

I'm so happy Trevor made it to the finals! He cracks me up in almost every confessional. Team Trevor! (Of course, now that I've said it out loud, he's doomed.)

It was nice to see the top 4 from last season. Francois! We'll always have "Tarragon!"

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

It was obvious to me that Jonathon was not going home. So David had to be sacrificed. I admit it was just recently that I remembered Trevor's name. For that reason I do not see him winning. He has been more in the background than Jonathon and Carl. They have been edited as the F2.

I was surprised we never heard the judges say anything about the look of Trevor's plate. They talked about it being delicious but did not say anything about the appearance. I thought his plate was rather brown and blah looking. They talked about the appearance and taste of the other 3.

peterredtail

peterredtail

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

Would it be that pricey to get on the train and head to Quebec? Dullsville.

Megabus only charges a dollar to Montreal from Toronto :-D

Anyhow, I was surprised it was David who went home. The "fashonistas" seemed to enjoy his food more and he did make an effort on the presentation. Which was what Lisa harped on about to them earlier. Johnathan - well I was not impressed with his lack of effort - looked like some cheap appetizers plopped on a plate. Ok, Trevors tasted good but again presentation was lacking. So what was the point of this elimination challenge? Carl had a pretty easy dish - fry some fish and scatter some leaves on a plate. Make sure the fish is the same shape as the plate.

So maybe Carl will win this thing...looks exciting next week with the evil Liz returning to "help".

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

Th judges did mention the look of Trevor's plate. I can't remember what words they used, but the idea was that they thought it was dull and not fashionable. They also questioned him in person about the unfashionableness (unfashionability???) of his dish. Trevor commented that they were making him paranoid with the questions.

alexis57

alexis57

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

I think Trevor has a good shot at winning. Just like Dale MacKay in Season 1, Trevor's just opened his first restaurant in Vancouver.

While he's never been the chef or had the opportunity to create dishes, he must have skills - he was Chef de Partie at Jean-Georges' Shangri-la in Vancouver, and worked for Dale MacKay at Lumiere and DB Bistro, as did Jimmy, who appears to be teamed up with Trevor in the final episode. With any luck, that will mean that Trevor & Jimmy are likely to be on the same page and a good team for the final matchup.

All along, my favourite top three have been Trevor, Jonathan and Carl, so I'm happy with whoever wins, but Trevor's my first pick. Glad David's out, I'm sure he's a talented chef and a nice guy, but his intensity & 'wackiness' on camera comes across as weird to me, too.

Too bad they're doing the final in Toronto, but again, they've brought in a Vancouver judge, Vikram Vij. Last season, Vancouver's David Hawksworth was the judge in the finale. Interesting that Top Chef Texas did their finale in Vancouver, and again, Vij was shown in one of the Vancouver episodes.

As for Trevor's food in Episode 12, I think they felt it was 'rustic', though deceptively rustic, because it was well-thought out and very skillful, just like Haute Couture!

Edited by alexis57, May 29, 2012 @ 10:12 PM.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

I think Trevor's problem was that he didn't appear to have some frou-frou fashion story for his meal.