Top Chef Canada

• Please log in to reply

708 replies to this topic

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Halfway through the episode it was obvious to me by the editing that Curtis was going home. The minute I heard the judges didn't like his dish it was game over. No surprise at all.

Jimmy's obsession with Richard Blais was odd. Even the hair? I didn't understand why they were so in awe of Richard. And yes, I saw him on Top Chef AllStars.

I still don't know everyone's name.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I would just like to add.... people who sniff their food gross me out! Every time they showed Richard Blais with his nose stuffed into his plate, sniffing, I yelled at my TV screen! Show some class, dude.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

Also, no matter how many food shows I watch, I will never understand the appeal of deconstructing food. It just seems so pointless. The judges got all excited: "It smells just like chicken soup!" If you want something that smells and tastes like chicken soup, just eat chicken soup!

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

Is it just me, or were there a lot of shots of Lisa's breasts in this episode? Here we are, serving your meal... in front of a pair of boobs! Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It just seemed a little odd.

Little_Mac

Little_Mac

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I think that I'm loving the challenges this year. Quickfire was brilliant. Cook anything you want, but use a can opener. I don't think that I would dare use 5 cans. And not giving them an single idea on what was in the can. So evil, So cruel, such a nice "Chopped" twist. You could tell who were the chefs and who were the pretenders from that simple challenge.

The elimination challenge was alright. I really wanted to try that chili dish though. I'm curious as to why it didn't make the top 3.

Sooeygun

Sooeygun

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I would just like to add.... people who sniff their food gross me out! Every time they showed Richard Blais with his nose stuffed into his plate, sniffing, I yelled at my TV screen! Show some class, dude.

I don't agree. Well, I can't disagree that it might gross you out, but I don't think it's classless for a someone judging food to want to experience every facet of the plate. Smell is a crucial part of eating.

Sad to see Curtis go. I'll miss his input on the Chowhound forums (posts as Blueicus Here's this week's)

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

I really wanted Jimmy to go. I hate that twerp.

Thank goodness, I'm not alone! I cannot stand the guy. He infuriates me all the time. I relish his departure (hopefully soon). He is singularly annoying.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Well, Jimmy might be annoying, but at least I know which one he is. Can't say the same about most of the others.But yeah, he's mediocre (kind of like all of them) but I will not be sad to see him go. I don't know if I'd be sad to see anyone go. This whole season brings up feelings of indifference towards each and every contestant. Why am I even watching? Seriously, I don't know.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Indifference is the perfect word to describe this season. I'm not pulling for anyone and I'm not even that interested in watching---yet I do. *sigh* I love food shows. (Thank goodness I have Great British Menu to satisfy me.)

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

I think some of the contestants have shown real skills and potential: Carl and Xavier come to mind. They may not be the most colorful characters ever seen on TV, but this is a cooking competition, not one of personalities. I agree that the chili deconstruction looked very interesting and I was surprised that it was not a finalist despite the judges' overwhelmingly positive comments; perhaps they wanted to spread the wealth and favour people who have not often been in the winners' circle so far.

Jimmy impressed with some of his first dishes, but he seems to have already exhausted his répertoire. Probably a sign of his youth and inexperience, an immaturity which was confimed by his fanboying of the guest judge. As for his bad language towards Liz, whether the version quoted here or the slightly milder one I remember from the episode, I felt it was quite justifiable in light of her behaviour. It is to be expected in the high-pressure context of a kitchen, with the added tension of the competition.

Smell plays a major part in the process of taste preception; I am not saying everyone should start sniffing every bite when in a restaurant, but in a competition, it appears quite acceptable to smell food closely in order to make a precise technical assessment of the overall effectiveness of the result.

Edited by MGaboriau, Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:22 PM.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

I don't have a problem with someone sniffing and getting the aroma of their food. I've been known to sniff my food once or twice in the past. I think what bothered me was that the guest judge got right down into the plate and took a big whiff. That's what grossed me out.

I'm glad Jimmy finally went home. I liked him in the beginning, but he's turned into a real douche recently. Maybe dirt soup is popular in Whistler???

Xavier confuses me. He definitely seems to blow hot and cold. I wish he could be more consistent; if he was, I'd say he has a great shot at winning.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I think some of the contestants have shown real skills and potential: Carl and Xavier come to mind. They may not be the most colorful characters ever seen on TV, but this is a cooking competition, not one of personalities.

Carl is among the strongest, as is Jonathan (I want to say Xavier too, but he's really not very impressive as of late) but they all fail to wow. Dale wowed. Rob wowed. Carl has proven to have great technique, and Jonathan has creativity, but none of them even hold a candle to most of the people I've worked with over my years in the industry. I'm okay with the contestants not having colourful personalities, as this is a cooking competition, but this is also reality television and unfortunately, colourful personalities make it interesting. That said, I'd glad that people (Jimmy, Liz) aren't kept around for drama's sake. That's the one thing I appreciate about this season. The talent, on the other hand...it's just that I know there are TONS of chefs and cooks in Canada who are way more talented than any of these guys. I mean, just look at last season!! It's either that they didn't have as great of selection or just didn't chose enough interesting cooks (both in personality and talent) I have no idea, but this season is a let down.

Jimmy deserved to go. What a cocky dicksmack!!! I agree with MGaboriau that his behaviour toward Liz was justified (this is how it is in kitchens, so I can't imagine with the added pressure of a high stakes competition) but man oh man! I think it's important to stand behind your food, but you have to know how to take criticism! It's about the balance, and I guess Jimmy doesn't have the experience and maturity to be humble and accept some critique. I'm not sorry to see him go, but you can tell that the others were. That shows me that he's probably a decent guy who gets along with most (except Liz, but I don't think she gets along with anyone) but he has some growing to do. I hope when he watches this episode he learns how to take criticism and put it to use.

Talent that's left:
Carl
Jonathan
David (although he's hit or miss)
Xavier (also hit or miss, but more miss)
Who else is there besides Trista? Seriously.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

What is the obsession these chefs on TV seem to have with truffle oil? It seems like the vast majority of judges hate it when contestants use it; they also say that if it must be used, only a few drops are needed. Yet, most contestants seem to pour it on. Jimmy's soup looked like it had an oil slick on top of it. Why is it that I know, the moment someone picks up truffle oil, they're going home, but the contestants don't?

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Why is it that during the "skill test," they made all of the cheftestants stop working when one of them called "check"? This penalizes the other contestants by breaking their work flow. When it should be that the person who calls "check" is penalized if their work is not up to standard, by losing time against the others.

Every other show I've seen that has that type of contest allows the others to keep working while one person's product is checked.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

Not every other show. It's probably about 50/50 if a show will stop everyone when someone calls Check. I suspect they have the forced pause to make it obvious who's next, and to be able to focus on if the challenge was done correctly or not without 3 more "Checks!" being called in the background.

I did find it a little annoying at the start of the first three challenges that they had everyone start behind a counter, all but forcing the people in the middle to jump over/under the tables. (Granted I guess it makes 'good' TV but I found it annoying). Time shouldn't have started until everyone was at their cutting boards and ready to start.

Edited by Taeolas, May 2, 2012 @ 6:44 AM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

My favourite part of the episode was this:

Lisa: You will be cooking for the cast of the hit tv series (dramatic pause) Lost Girl!!

Chefs: *blank stares*

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

I'm glad Jimmy finally went home.

I am as well. He really left a bad taste in my mouth. Kind of like dirt soup but with a side of vinegar, water and the bag it came in.

I really like Jonathan. And his headbands. I hope Trista steps up a bit more.

staphdude

staphdude

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

I'm okay with the contestants not having colourful personalities, as this is a cooking competition, but this is also reality television and unfortunately, colourful personalities make it interesting. That said, I'd glad that people (Jimmy, Liz) aren't kept around for drama's sake. That's the one thing I appreciate about this season. The talent, on the other hand...it's just that I know there are TONS of chefs and cooks in Canada who are way more talented than any of these guys.

The thing is they aren't drafting contestants so perhaps our Canadian food scene isn't filled with people determined to be on TV.

Overall I am happy with the tone of the season. I am certainly not interested in colourful characters so a focus on the cooking and drama free (relatively) interactions are a godsend. I was also SO happy when Lisa stood up for the much maligned chicken breast. I personally can't stand chicken thighs so it it can get tedious hearing people constantly assume that thighs are the best choice for a dish. Lisa's shout out to the white meat and poo pooing the dark was perfect!

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

The thing is they aren't drafting contestants so perhaps our Canadian food scene isn't filled with people determined to be on TV.

Yes, I know. I followed that statement by saying either it was because there weren't a lot of talented cooks who applied.

Gajic

Gajic

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

I enjoyed the camping tonight. It was a fun aspect. Overall, the contestants aren't the most exciting but I love that this show is all about the cooking. If this was Hells Kitchen they'd keep Liz and Jimmy around until the end and spend fifteen minutes on talking heads of the two of them bashing each other.

I thought for sure with all the Trista focus tonight that she was going home. Good for her in stepping up. I still don't think she has a shot of winning but at least she has a barbeque. I too am waiting for the Canadian Tire gift certificate reward.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

The BBQ reward was damn close to a Crappy Tire Gift Certificate... As was the Knife set they gave away a few weeks back I think. Seems like the Challenge prizes budget is about $1k give or take a bit. Even the "High Stakes" challenge was only 5k or 10k wasn't it?

Fire baked bread was an interesting take, and the judges seemed to like it. I wonder if given the storm, his (can't recall what his name is off hand) cooking time was cut short and that's why the judges gave him a bit of a pass for the undercooked quail. The flaws they played up in the other two dishes made it feel that way.

Little_Mac

Little_Mac

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

It's interesting. You can tell that they spent their money on the guest judges and the challenges, more than the contestants/prizes. It's smart in that the judging will be fair and that it is easily replayable on Food Network USA (if they chose to go there). However, you feel for the chefs. Winning a challenge is more about personal glory and pride rather than the money.

The challenges, again, were perfect. Top Chef Texas, this is how it should be done. The vending machine is a evil, evil, challenge. I would have had NO idea on what to pick. It's interesting that everyone went for the pretzels. I don't know if I wanted to try those dishes, but it was a great challenge. The reward, too, was nice. A nice advantage without being unfair. And lastly, bandanas = Mystery Meat. Always got to love a chef figuring out how to do a wild lunch with uncommon fowl. Interesting on how they eliminated the person that had the heaviest lunch.

I wonder, though, how badly the judging got soaked. This is the episode that should be a stern warning of the dangers of judging.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

Good for her in stepping up. I still don't think she has a shot of winning but at least she has a barbeque.

Not just any BBQ, but a Weber BBQ. How fancy and exotic!

eggplantasaurus

eggplantasaurus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

I, for one, really kinda prefer this version to the American one. Less drama and ridiculous challenges, and more cooking.

I think the Top 6 were great. I'm sorry to see
Spoiler
go.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

I bet that Dale felt like a really big deal until they sat him next to Marcus Samuelsson. Then? Ehhhh, not so much.

I thought it was sweet how all the generically polite chefs comforted Trista when she was crying. They all seem likeable enough, just damned boring.

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

I could hardly stand the judges droning on and on about the "soul" and "passion" that were allegedly missing from some of the food. What exactly made Jonathan's technically perfect broth more infused with soul than any of the other contestants' successful dishes? His sappy story about his grandmother?

I think the judges were confusing soul with schmaltz.

Shereen Arazm was especially annoying on that front.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

She's annoying on all fronts! I want her to go the way of the old host.

I'm going to call a Carl and Jonathan final two.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Season 3 is a go!. They're taking applications until the middle of June.

peterredtail

peterredtail

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I could hardly stand the judges droning on and on about the "soul" and "passion" that were allegedly missing from some of the food. What exactly made Jonathan's technically perfect broth more infused with soul than any of the other contestants' successful dishes? His sappy story about his grandmother?

I think the judges were confusing soul with schmaltz.

Agreed - soul? Personally I would hope the food tasted good and there were no foreign parts in it...dumb mistake on Krista's part and she deserved to go home.

Yes too many sappy stories...you could tell Xavier was a bit embarrassed. He was rather crafty - instead of a sappy story about Grandmaman killing the geese for foie gras, he made a dish way different from what he did before that tasted good and impressed the judges. Got him into the top 3...but the lack of a sappy enough story meant he did not win.

Season 3 is a go!. They're taking applications until the middle of June.

And I hope one of the challenges is to shop at the Rexdale (a lower income neighbourhood in Toronto) No Frills store and create a banquet type dish for 100 people on a $25 budget!

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

Watching the reruns showing today, I'm really struck by two things I didn't really notice the first time round - Jimmy's arrogance and Ryan's creepiness. It's also irritating me how Ryan shakes his head every time he's in the bottom (which happened a lot!!). Maybe your food isn't as good as your ego thinks it is. I'd also mention Elizabeth's bitchiness but, really, that's just a given, so why bother?

I'd also love to see a low budget challenge! That would be really interesting. Let's see what they can come up with for a small sum of money! Although, now that I'm typing this out, I have the feeling that they did something similar last season - a challenge where they had to prepare something cheap and easy that the home cook could replicate.

On a completely superficial note - I think Trevor is yummy and if he ever get eliminated, I'm going to be incredibly disappointed. He can cook for me any time!

Fable

Looks like Trevor has opened a new place here in Vancouver. Looking at reviews online, which have been positive, it opened this past weekend. Interesting that it reflects his team's ideas in Restaurant Wars.

Edited by Canada, May 21, 2012 @ 7:36 PM.