Top Chef Canada

• Please log in to reply

707 replies to this topic

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

So that's two weeks in a row that a contestant in effect eliminated himself by doing something so obviously unworthy of such a competition. Early nerves or low standards when selection the chefs?

Liz got the Bitch edit big time last night.

The talented bitch edit moreover, raising the possibility in the viewer's mind that she ultimately wins. They may also be setting her up for being in a position where another contestant has an opportunity to screw her over following the opening quickfire-challenge. It is not only editing though; they had several of the others making rather harsh comments about her, including Jimmy and Carl who seem like rather easy-going people.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

What I don't understand is how the judges kept saying that a piece of ham with a chunk of pineapple on it is something that you can buy anywhere.

Where are these places? I can't think of anywhere, diner or otherwise, that would serve that crap.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

What I don't understand is how the judges kept saying that a piece of ham with a chunk of pineapple on it is something that you can buy anywhere.

I think they were exaggerating simply to prove a point. Not only was there ZERO skill that went into his dish, but also zero creativity. Not even in the presentation. It was a snooze all around. They were just putting him down for sucking so hard and presenting a shit dish when he's in a cooking competition.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I think they were exaggerating simply to prove a point. Not only was there ZERO skill that went into his dish, but also zero creativity. Not even in the presentation. It was a snooze all around. They were just putting him down for sucking so hard and presenting a shit dish when he's in a cooking competition.

In that case, then I think they would be better to say that it's something you can buy nowhere, because nobody in their right mind would sell it.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:06 AM

In that case, then I think they would be better to say that it's something you can buy nowhere, because nobody in their right mind would sell it

Ha! Good point! I don't really take any of the judges (other than maybe Mark McEwan's) opinions (especially whatsherface, not the host) as authority on anything even though I know they have experience in the business. It's all for show, really. I think they sometimes just say stuff to say it, you know what I mean? Usually I'm just rolling my eyes and thinking: shut up, whatshername, just shut up.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:18 AM

Ha! Good point! I don't really take any of the judges (other than maybe Mark McEwan's) opinions (especially whatsherface, not the host) as authority on anything even though I know they have experience in the business.

I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with their elite & wealthy disconnect from mainstream society. Perhaps in their minds, a diner does serve ham and pineapple skewered with a toothpick, because they haven't dined outside a 5-star restaurant in decades.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Wow, 12 minutes in and I don't want to watch anymore. No way Gabriel deserved to go home. You suck, Top Chef Canada!!!

ETA: Elizabeth, I thought you were a nasty bitch, but after your performance tonight, I can't even think of words to describe your heinousness! Blaming others for the fact that you suck??? You suck! Glad to see the back of you!

Edited by Canada, Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:00 PM.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:13 AM

These chefs are failing to impress me. There are less shitty chefs this season than last (no one quite as bad as that Jamie or Chris fellow) but there's also no one nearly as good as Dale or Rob.

Wow, 12 minutes in and I don't want to watch anymore. No way Gabriel deserved to go home. You suck, Top Chef Canada!!!

You don't think? Out of the three in the bottom, he was the weakest. He was also the one with the least screen time. As much as I dislike Curtis (man, is he ever irritating) he's a little more interesting to watch that Gabriel, and no way they were going to get rid of Krista (is that her name?) she's stronger than Gabriel. So is Curtis, I think.

Elizabeth is a huge jerkface. That said, she was one of the stronger chefs (that's not saying much this season) so it's too bad she's gone.

I'd like to see David the elite chef go soon. For someone with so much experience in fine dining and other places, he really doesn't deliver.

I want to like Jonathan, because he's one of the best left, but he too annoys me. Something about his face, which is horrible for me to say b/c he seems like a really nice guy.

I don't even care who wins. Nor do I have any real predictions other than Jonathan will be in the top 5.

peterredtail

peterredtail

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

I have been trying to get into this show. Loved seeing Susar last night, glad nasty Elizabeth went but from what I have heard most chefs are nasty in the kitchen so I don't know why the judges were so surprised. Anyway, Xavier for the win!

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

Soooo... not much to say about tonight's rather meh episode, apart from the small pleasure in seeing a nasty piece of work go home.

But the teasers for next week talking about how stressful it is cooking for Richard Blais... since when was he a big deal? It's kind of weird when other recent reality show contestants suddenly get revered as if they were culinary legends.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Seriously! I get that people are fans of Richard Blais (I'm not) but you can't even begin to compare him to chefs like Susur or, um, I'll let you know when they get another respected chef to be a judge.

I agree with the rest of you. There's no one really horrible but there's also nobody who is especially impressive. Not a Dale or Rob in the bunch. And their personalities are all so bland. They all seem nice enough but...meh. There also hasn't been a single dish so far that's made me go: "Oh, that looks sooooo good!" which is something that happened a lot last season. This season totally falls under TC Ed's idea for "Mediocre Chef".

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

The editing gave away the Gabriel boot so I was not surprised.

Glad to have Susur on. Finally a chef I respect. The rest of the ep... not much to get excited about until Liz left. Glad to see her selfish butt leave.

Last season I was on the Dale train all the way. This season I don't really care who wins. I still don't remember most of their names.

DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

Elizabeth definitely deserved to go. She really screwed up the service and her food wasn't amazing either. Compared to Beverly from TC Texas, I think Liz definitely pissed more people off knowingly than Bev did, who to me looked more frantic and abit scatterbrained than messing with people on purpose most of the time.

To me, the strongest competitors so far is Carl, Curtis and Jonathan and to a lesser extent Trista. Carl has won or has been in the top group for every challenge except the first episode and he hasn't been in the bottom yet. Jonathan hasn't been in the bottom yet either and Curtis and Trista once each in solo challenges. So my money's on Carl to go all the way.

generica78

generica78

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:12 AM

Quite shocked they served sage gnocchi to a pregnant woman. Especially considering the fuss that was made over the carpaccio earlier.

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

Quite shocked they served sage gnocchi to a pregnant woman.

What's the problem with that?

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

After the previous week's episode, I said that Liz's attitude could well come back and bite her in the ass at one point. I did not expect it to happen so soon though. If she had been more cooperative in the past, her teammates might have been more inclined to support her and not throw her to the sharks as they did here. She did nothing to foster solidarity. Moreover, her selection as captain was certainly intended to afford her an opportunity to fail, which she did spectacularly.

The judges were also probably unimpressed by her denying all responsibility and accusing the others of all being wrong. That was not leadership. Her exit interview proved she was delusional to the end.

Carl continues to impress with his quiet consistency; talent without flamboyance.

Christabelle

Christabelle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

I haven't posted before but I have been watching and reading. I too have been underwhelmed by this season and find most of the chefs unremarkable -- I'm certainly not going online looking up their restaurants. (Of course, with a few notable exceptions like Paul and Ed, I didn't think much of TCC: Texas either.) I thought Elizabeth's elimination last night was deserved but I also think her food seemed better than most.

I just wanted to ask though, am I wrong or has there been an excessive amount of salmon this season? I swear that there has been salmon every episode, except the offal week. I love salmon, I do, but every week, and in similar fashion to boot, seems too much to me.

generica78

generica78

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

What's the problem with that?

Sage is to be avoided while pregnant. It can cause miscarriage early on, and induce labour.

Sure, this is mostly highly concentrated forms, like Sage oil, but when my wife was pregnant we avoided all traces of sage, as a lot of people do, just to be safe.

alexis57

alexis57

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

I just wanted to ask though, am I wrong or has there been an excessive amount of salmon this season? I swear that there has been salmon every episode, except the offal week. I love salmon, I do, but every week, and in similar fashion to boot, seems too much to me.

In this post by Curtis on chowhound, Curtis says their shopping choices were limited - the only fish that was sustainable and in sufficient quantity was sockeye. No liquid nitrogen for the ice cream, possibly other choices were limited, too.

Looks like TCC was done on the cheap - not enough ovens or deep fryers in the TC kitchen and limited ingredients this week. Not like the TC or Masterchef UK, Australia & NZ where everyone has their own equipment & a fully-stocked pantry in the studio kitchen.

Edited by alexis57, Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:59 PM.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

It always irritates me on cooking shows when there isn't enough equipment for all the chefs. Like on Chopped when someone gets screwed because there's only one ice cream machine. It definitely seems like this season is way cheaper than last season. I honestly think the only improvement has been ditching Thea for Lisa. Lisa is pretty badass. Can she win?

MGaboriau

MGaboriau

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

I presumed that the limited stock of supplies or hardware was part of the design of the show and others like it as part of the challenge. It means contestants have to decide quickly on what they want to use and grab it as soon as possible so as not to find themselves at the mercy of others who were faster than them, or else tend to hog everything or can't wait their turn (like Liz). From the production's point of view, it would be a means to create drama.

alexis57

alexis57

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

I presumed that the limited stock of supplies or hardware was part of the design of the show and others like it as part of the challenge.

In other cooking shows like this, a shortage will be occasional. For example, an episode will feature one contestant who gets to shop first, or choose a protein that no one else can use.

Looking at this season as a whole, I really think budget is the issue, not drama. As I think someone else here said, I wouldn't be surprised if they start awarding prizes in Canadian Tire dollars. But here's one thing I know for sure - Lisa Ray is worth every penny! Better than Padma!

DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Aww crap, I knew Curtis was likely getting chopped when the judges starting eating his dish. Wished he could've gone on further as I think he just had a bad day, but that's the way it goes. :(

Also after watching Top Chef Texas, Top Chef Canada seems to have MUCH LESS twists and its mostly about the chefs' skills.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I figured it would be either Curtis or Jimmy to go this week. I think Curtis was a fair choice. I have to admit, though, that none of the dishes really wowed me. I do think the criticism of Jonathon was a little unfair; the judges thought there were nostrawberries or cheese, but I definitely saw strawberries on the plate and he mentioned that there was goat cheese in there. Seems to fit the bill for me!

ETA - WTF was that Scottish guy and why was he even there???

Edited by Canada, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:54 PM.

Christabelle

Christabelle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

The Scottish guy was Tom Brodi -- the meal took place at his restaurant, TOCA. I wondered what the singer was doing there.

I'll miss Curtis. The crew this year is pretty reserved and though they might be the greatest people in the world, a bit more personality makes for good television. I loved Rob last year partly for his food, but mostly for his chatter.

Canada

Canada

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

I thought the Scottish guy was the singer? Shows how much attention I was paying!

Station Zebra

Station Zebra

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

I figured it would be either Curtis or Jimmy to go this week. I think Curtis was a fair choice.

I thought Curtis seemed like a nice guy and he had a story I was interested in. I really wanted Jimmy to go. I hate that twerp. I don't care what their beef with Liz was - when he lost his temper with her he told her to suck his cock. That's the only thing I think about when I'm forced to look at his shitty little face. I would never eat his substandard food.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:37 AM

I do think the criticism of Jonathon was a little unfair; the judges thought there were nostrawberries or cheese, but I definitely saw strawberries on the plate and he mentioned that there was goat cheese in there. Seems to fit the bill for me!

Actually, I believe they said that neither the strawberries nor cheese were present enough to represent strawberry cheesecake. Seemed fair in my opinion. He focused too much on the graham base.

I don't care what their beef with Liz was - when he lost his temper with her he told her to suck his cock. That's the only thing I think about when I'm forced to look at his shitty little face. I would never eat his substandard food.

Ah, this is kitchen mentality and kitchen speak. I'm sure Liz wasn't offended by his comment, and I'm sure (seeing as how difficult she is) she gets it ALL the time. Not saying he was right, just that this kind of insult is very common in heated kitchen environments, this is even when working as a team and not competing.

peterredtail

peterredtail

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

I thought the Scottish guy was the singer? Shows how much attention I was paying!

No you were right - Scottish guy was just there to even out the numbers! Never heard of him until last night. Maybe he is Lisa's boyfriend?

I was surprised about Curtis - I thought he was one of the favourites. I think it was a waste to keep the wannabe molecular gastronomy guy there. He will never be a top chef IMO.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:44 AM

The Scottish country singer had no reason whatsoever to be there except to promote his new album, and all they did was mention it really quickly just before they went to judges' table. So Top Chef Canada throws in pointless judges who are there just to promote something and then they do a horrible job of actually promoting it.

Poor Curtis. He seemed like a nice guy. I was really hoping Jimmy would be eliminated by his idol (?!?!) Richard Blais and then sob while he was packing up his knives.

Also after watching Top Chef Texas, Top Chef Canada seems to have MUCH LESS twists and its mostly about the chefs' skills.

Agreed, and I like it MUCH better that way. TC Texas seemed more like Top Caterer sometimes. The only problem is that TC Canada has chefs with MUCH LOWER skills. Which is damned disappointing.