Bobís Burgers: Buckle It Up or You'll Die!

• Please log in to reply

1169 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 8:34 PM

Here's topic about the new Fox show "Bob's Burgers." If anyone else besides me watched it...here's a place to talk about it!

ETA: One of the only things this has going for me right now is the cast: Jon Benjamin, Eugene Mirman, Kristen Schaal, Todd Barry, etc. There were a few good jokes here and there, but I'm really not a fan of the art style. I'll reserve some judgment when I see more episodes...if the show makes it that far.

I know Fox isn't Canceling American Dad...I'm just bitter that IT was the show that got moved into the Football Death Slot for this. Hey, it got pre-empted today!

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Jan 9, 2011 @ 10:15 PM.

bbob

bbob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

I actually loved everything about it. I thought it was hilarious, and the voice actors were marvelous! The animation style is unique - I can see people having a problem with it, but I'm looking forward to next week already. I hope it keeps the same tone throughout the series. I'll definitely watch again.

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

Jeez, I'd rather have them cancel Family Guy instead. Either way, this was baaaddd. I mean I already watch one show 1 of 3 in this line up that irritates me, just to kill time. This might push me over.

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 9:35 PM

I really liked it. It's dialogue reminded me a lot of Home Movies, which is just fantastic. I'm not completely sold, since it was the pilot, but I'll be tuning in next week.

I don't get the thread title though. AD isn't canceled. It's on at 7:30. I don't think Fox is going to be canceling another Seth McFarlane show any time soon.

sordidheart88

sordidheart88

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

Considering the fact that it was the first episode I thought it was pretty good. The daughter in the bunny ears hat (voiced by Kristen Schaal! Wooo!) was pretty funny, the wife's voice kind of annoyed me though.

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

I was only lukewarm on this one, though I had high hopes. That older daughter with the crotch rash, her voice is way too masculine.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 11:55 PM

I thought this was surprisingly strong for a show pilot. It took me a few episodes of American Dad before I started warming up to it, and I'm still waiting to see if I will ever grow to like Cleveland. This show got some laughs out of me right away.

Loved the Child Molester w/ Candy as the burger of the day. When Bob saw the guy who ordered it and remarked that the guy looked like a child molester I knew this show could actually go somewhere.

Loved hearing all the voices from Home Movies here. I almost wish they were in squigglevision.

wolfdreamer

wolfdreamer

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

Ok am I a bad person that I laughed when the two younger kids said to their sister, "your the worst type of autism there is?"

I think all the jokes were like that. I felt that I shouldn't be laughing at that.

I also laughed at the child molester one too.

I thought for sure that when the parents were "grinding the meat" they were going to cut themselves and that would explain the corpse in the meat.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 12:50 AM

I thought for sure that when the parents were "grinding the meat" they were going to cut themselves and that would explain the corpse in the meat.

I liked that this show played with my expectations. I've seen too many shows with Jon Benjamin in it, and they usually go that route. I was completely sure that it was going to be the case; but no, the characters were 100% honest with their meat.

Ok am I a bad person that I laughed when the two younger kids said to their sister, "your the worst type of autism there is?"

"You can't even count!" Kristen Schaal's character is looking to be my favorite so far.

michaelrbn

michaelrbn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I found myself laughing out loud through the entire show. I haven't done that in a long time.

Phishbulb

Phishbulb

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

That older daughter with the crotch rash, her voice is way too masculine.

That's because she's played by a guy, comedian Dan Mintz. The wife is also played by a guy too.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

I watched this without knowing who did what voices, and had all of them wrong. I thought I was hearing Nick Kroll, Judy Gold & Maria Bamford for the son, wife & rabbit ear daughter. It's funny enough to keep watching as long as I have no conflicts. Once Amazing Race starts, I won't mind missing it.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 11:52 AM

I thought this was pretty good, though I'm not sure how far they will be able to go with the premise before it gets a bit stale. Still, I like the idea of a family-owned burger joint and thought all of the characters were pretty likable. The canabalism jokes were also quite funny. I especially liked the adventerous eater club at the end. Lol. The animation style isn't my favorite, but its nice to have something in the Sunday lineup that's not drawn in the style of Family Guy.

Tell Her No

Tell Her No

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

Well, apparently I'm easy to please...I laughed throughout the entire episode, especially when Worst Kind of Autism daughter began scratching her crotch, then of course, worst kind of autism, child molester...well, you get the idea. The thought of a kid telling a class that the burgers are made of human flesh--and the sign the health inspector guy put up...genius!--made me glad I didn't decide to turn the channel.

I'm laughing at the kids throwing down the toothpicks right now....

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

I must be easy to please too, because I thought it was funny! Yes, the animation style takes some getting used to, but I enjoyed the voices and the characters, especially Bunny Ears. I thought it was odd though, that two of the female characters are voiced by men, and apparently, they aren't trying to disguise that!

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 5:43 PM

I like the show too. I already love the dynamic between all the members of the family. I'd rather they get rid of The Cleveland Show than American Dad if they're going to keep it around.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 6:36 PM

I wanted to like this a little more than I did; I'll give it a few more episodes.

Kristen Schaal definitely had all the best lines and delivery. Also, Eugene Mirman and Todd Barry were on too! It's a Flight of the Conchords party! Can we have Jemaine and Bret on too please? Then I promise I'll watch!

Ben from Dr. Katz is one of my favorite characters ever, and I've loved H. Jon Benjamin ever since then...I agree with others who wish this show was in Squigglevision.

Punky B

Punky B

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

I also enjoyed it!! Some of the exchanges had me rolling. I would watch again.

Guido

Guido

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2011 @ 2:51 PM

"The itch is gone but now my crotch smells like bacon. I think we're gonna be alright."

Lola82

Lola82

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2011 @ 4:37 PM

Well I'm sold. This is exactly the kind of animated humor I love. I loved Home Movies and hearing Jon Benjamin's voice makes me happy. I hope this one sticks around!

Reuben

Reuben

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 12, 2011 @ 4:18 AM

IBM62
Still, I like the idea of a family-owned burger joint and thought all of the characters were pretty likable.

I like the premise, but I'm on the side of the fence that doesn't like most of the family members. I pretty much only like Linda (wife/mother) and Tina (itching crotch daughter). Gene (son in burger suit) just seems too much like this show's answer to FG's Chris and AD's Steve. Bob is . . . okay, but nothing special. At least not yet.

I usually try not to have a female be my least favorite character, but man, oh, man, I do not like Louise (daughter with bunny ears). She had some funny lines, but she got on my shit list the moment Linda brought up that Bob could go to jail for the lies she'd told to her classmates. Because instead of looking the least bit guilty . . . she smiled. Like she relished in that. Do. Not. Want.

I'm hoping this doesn't last long at all. It just seems like it's gonna rely on cheap jokes over actual storylines. Kinda like FG now.

A Conspiracy

A Conspiracy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 8:58 PM

I did like The Shining parody.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

I want to like this show, because I do think the writing is pretty funny, but I hate the voice acting so much that I can't appreciate the jokes at all. It's really bugging me because I love a lot of the jokes as they're written, but hearing them just makes me go "Blah, stop talking." Pretty much the same experience I had watching Napoleon Dynamite.

wolfdreamer

wolfdreamer

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 12:21 AM

Today's episode was funny. I'm starting to really like this show. Especially the two youngest children. Their lines have to be the funniest of the show. I especially love the "He took us away from learning."

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:43 AM

I think this was a better episode than the pilot. I know the voices are hard to get used to, but I think all the actors really have great timing. This show has a lot of people talking at once, and if you mess the timing up, it can ruin the whole show. Whenever Bob talks, I just keep hearing Archer, but that's not too much of a problem.

I don't know the kids' names yet, but I love the girl with the bunny ears and how she just totally fucks with people. "We didn't wear seat belts!" Now we have nothing to do on Father's Day! And the rest of the family takes it in stride. "Foot feta-ish burger." Ha.

I didn't realize they live above the restaurant.

I don't know if they were doing it on purpose, but they made a good point about the counselor not having kids and not really "getting it".

Jabua

Jabua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 3:21 AM

ganesh
I think this was a better episode than the pilot.

Same here. I liked this one a lot better and found myself laughing at more things than I did last week.

I've come to like Bob, Linda, Tina, and Gene, but Louise kinda bugs.

Loved hearing the wonderful Renee Taylor, though, as Gloria! Nice to see she's getting some decent work!

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 9:35 AM

So far, I like this show. I think the dialogue is great. I agree about the voices being distracting, although I am getting used to the Mom. Laughed quite a few times last night.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

I caught this for the first time lasy night. I enjoyed it, especially the crazy little girl who likes to mess with people's minds. Not sure if I'll skip listening to Beyond the Beltway to watch this at its current time, however.

funkycatt

funkycatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

Anyone else hear Coach McGirk? That's the only reason I keep watching.

I have to admit I kept finding myself laughing out loud last night, but I was doing dishes at the time. It didn't take much. Good so far though.

corgi-ears

corgi-ears

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 6:59 PM

I don't know if they were doing it on purpose, but they made a good point about the counselor not having kids and not really "getting it".

Loved the episode (though not as much as the pilot), but the show lost me with that argument. Then again, I also don't think a person needs to have been in the slammer to work as a prison counsellor.