Breakout Kings: From the People Who Brought You 'Prison Break'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

607 replies to this topic

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 4:41 PM

Now that it has a premiere date, I thought I'd make a thread.

A&E Network will premiere the original scripted drama series, "Breakout Kings" on Sunday, March 13 at 10:00pm ET/PT. From Matt Olmstead and Nick Santora, writers/producers of the hit series "Prison Break," comes "Breakout Kings" a new action-packed ensemble drama following an unconventional partnership between the U.S. Marshals' office and a group of convicts as they work to catch fugitives on the run.

After 72 hours, the odds of finding an escaped prisoner drop to less than five percent. Knowing that there are few things more dangerous than a convict on the run, and tired of outdated methods of law enforcement, veteran U.S. Marshals Charlie Duchamp (Laz Alonso Avatar, Fast and the Furious 4: Fast & Furious) and Ray Zancanelli (Domenick Lombardozzi "The Wire," "Entourage") decide to reject protocol and take an unorthodox approach to their work: using former fugitives to catch current ones.

A&E's new original drama series "Breakout Kings" follows Charlie and Ray as they form a special task force composed of the three most elusive convicts Ray ever captured: Lloyd Lowery (Jimmi Simpson "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," "Late Show with David Letterman"), a former child prodigy and behaviorist/psychiatric expert who excels in psychoanalysis; Shea Daniels (Malcolm Goodwin, American Gangster), an ex-gang banger who knows how to work the system, both in prison and on the street; and Erica Reed (Serinda Swan Tron: Legacy "Smallville"), a sexy expert tracker who learned her trade from her bounty hunter father. Charlie and Ray also employ the services of Julianne Simms (Brooke Nevin The Comebacks, My Suicide), a civilian who acts as the "funnel" for the group - all information, tips and data go through her.

With each fugitive they apprehend, the closer the team members get to earning their own freedom. Will the "Breakout Kings" wait that long for their reward, or will they try to score by going on the run themselves?

Full press release here.

And apparently it's going to be in the same universe as Prison Break, because Robert Knepper/T-Bag will make an appearance on the show. This was originally developed for Fox, but they passed. I suppose Santora and crew are glad about not restraining themselves for network TV.

Edited by Trini Girl, Jan 7, 2011 @ 4:42 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 5:45 PM

A&E's recent dramatic series track record isn't glowing, but it's solid (The Cleaner, The Beast). Even though this sounds faintly like TNT's failed Wanted, I'm at least curious enough for an episode or two.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

This filmed in my neighbourhood in the late summer/fall, and I met some of the crew, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. I'll definitely give it a few episodes.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 8:03 AM

Sounds similar to the short-lived Players from 1998

Three con artists are paroled by the FBI, with the intent to make them work for the Bureau. Together, they have an edge that ordinary agents don't have. However, they can't go too far for they always risk being thrown back to jail.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 6:02 PM

A few more details from the producers from the TCA Press Tour.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted Jan 11, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

Erica Reed (Serinda Swan Tron: Legacy "Smallville"), a sexy expert tracker who learned her trade from her bounty hunter father.

Ugh. Why must be "sexy" the first adjective describing a female character? I'm no straw feminist, but I'm starting to see their point :/

Edited by FurryFury, Jan 11, 2011 @ 10:42 AM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

The premiere will be a week earlier, March 6th, instead.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 2:53 AM

A&E webpage and trailer. T-Bag/Knepper makes an appearance.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

The trailer definitely has that Wanted (series)/U.S. Marshals (the movie) thing going on...only younger and terminally hipper (verdict's still out on the guy who looks like a grunged-out Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds). That said I'm still curious to see how it turns out--though it'll likely be up against my favorite TV comedy, CSI: Miami, when it airs. Decisions, decisions.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2011 @ 2:25 AM

Interview with the producers; talks about the show in relation to Prison Break.

'How 'Breakout Kings' found new life at A&E'.

Early reviews:
TV Squad, and another article.
Media Life Magazine,
Scripps News,
Boston Herald,
Philly Inquirer,
Zap2It,
and Chicago Tribune.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

Premiering tonight. All the ads keep on retaining my interest, so I made sure to record for tonight.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

OK, I didn't see Zancanelli being a con. And Jimmi Simpson is somewhat interesting. The rest was pretty paint by numbers.

sueli769

sueli769

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

Not bad, but I'm gonna miss Philly.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

Yeah, anybody know why they threw over that chick from The Unit for Serinda Swan?

sueli769

sueli769

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

anybody know why they threw over that chick from The Unit for Serinda Swan?

Did she do any other pilots this season?

Visan

Visan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 11:49 PM

Glad the show changed broads. There really is no need to add a female criminal in the mix IMO. It's about "kings" after all. Guess the show has to court that young guy demo.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

Well of course my cable provider decides to be wacky tonight. >:(

hilaryvm

hilaryvm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 3:04 AM

I thought it was interesting enough for a pilot. Interesting enough to make me watch the next episode, which is basically the point.

I didn't completely buy the blond as a master con artist, but I am a bit sad that they're replacing her.

I'll be interested to learn what it is the professor did that got him so many years. It's got to be more than just gambling.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 5:43 AM

This show is sort of Leverage meets Criminal Minds but I like that combination so I'm not complaining.

Gibasi

Gibasi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 10:33 AM

This show is sort of Leverage meets Criminal Minds but I like that combination so I'm not complaining.

Maybe it is because that is an unwholesome mashup and that is why I didn't like the show. I thought I would like since I am a veteran of It Takes a Thief and in theory I like the premise. The pilot didn't appeal to me--I didn't really like or care about any of the characters. Of course it is a pilot so I will give it another chance or 2.

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

I would add in White Collar for the con gets out of jail to help the feds aspect

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 2:29 PM

I agree with Angel Cohn, Jimmi Simpson is both the best thing about the show so far and very snoggable. I hope they don't set up the character as sooper genius = omniscience. Although I liked the observation by the other con that the reason the kids didn't wait for the dime is that the nickel was bigger.

I liked the female con even though they managed to both get her in a sexy outfit and do a lap dance in the very first episode. Let's see what they do with the new character.

Prediction: The professor and the computer expert/contact Julianne are going to end up dating.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

I liked it well enough for a pilot but the shows going to have to bring more for me to keep coming back. Laz Alonso is hot so I can just stare at him for the entire hour. I wonder what the one chick is going to do that they have to replace her.

Gwynevere1

Gwynevere1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 5:16 PM

Jimmi Simpson is both the best thing about the show so far and very snoggable.

Yeah, I enjoyed the first episode of the "Jimmi Simpson Acts Creepy For an Hour Show."

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

I actually thought that this would be one of those shows that I ended up changing the channel on 10 or 15 minutes into it. But it wasn't! I found this not to be great but it wasn't bad either. The two Marshals have secrets of their own: One of them lives in a halfway house while the other seems to have a mysterious illness of some sort. Looking forward to finding out what's up with both of them! Ditto for the quirky professor who's in the clink for 25 years. I realize this is the kind of show that's going to deal with the criminal-of-the-week, but I'm hoping there's also lots of character drama too! Some ongoing storyline arcs along with the procedural format would be great for this show. Oh and Laz Alonso IS hot and kinda bowlegged too! Bowlegged men? SEXY!

Edited by Chancellor, Mar 7, 2011 @ 10:48 PM.

ArianaX

ArianaX

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 6:55 PM

That's funny, I used almost that exact same phrase describing the show to someone today. I'm afraid it will ultimately suffer by comparison (their computer girl is no Garcia), but I liked it as a starting point since I like both of those shows.

Of course, it makes no sense why they would be letting a ex-cop in a halfway house carry a weapon, but it was a good surprise reveal.

I have a feeling the new girl coming in will probably be the tipping point for me, if she's interesting enough I'll probably be hooked.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 7:44 PM

I didn't plan on seeing this, but I saw a bunch of preview for it over the weekend, and since I don't watch anything on Sundays, I figured I'd give it a shot. I thought it was decent enough for a pilot, and I'll give it a few more episodes.

So far, Lloyd is definitely my favorite character. Perfectly creepy but hilarious. Shea was fine too. The two cops were alright, but I've seen this kind of before (one is more by the book, the other his a loose cannon), but I liked the twists of the "by the book" cop actually shooting the bad guy at the end, and the other one being in a halfway house.

I spent the entire episode wondering why the woman con didn't look anything like the one I've seen in the previews; of course, now I see it's because it was a different character/actress. Didn't mind her character, but wasn't that impressed anyway, so I'm ok with seeing how the other one does (the one played by Serinda Swan, or who I refer to as the Tron: Legacy babe that wasn't Olivia Wilde or Beau Garrett.) I do hope they have a good reason why she won't be in the upcoming episodes. I did think the whole scene where she stripped to her underwear was just an excuse to show some eye-candy. Not against that, but IMO, Swan is hotter!

And the reappearance of T-Bag from Prison Break has me sold! Love Robert Knepper.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

I've been looking forward to seeing this since the film crew blocked half of the street I lived on during the summer! I enjoyed it. It was an effective pilot in that I'll tune in again to see what happens. Most of the cons seem to have some kind of personal story to pursue so there should be some decent character arcs and the Marshals have secrets too. Lloyd is the one I find most interesting and the actor did a great job of straddling the line between kinda creepy and kinda well-meaning! I didn't see the twist at the end coming, that the Marshal was himself a criminal, so that was cool. I'll definitely give it a chance.

Barrett0033

Barrett0033

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

I only tuned in because I am still having Wire withdrawals and wanted to see my Herc again but I am glad I did. I liked all of the characters, had a few chuckles and totally didn't see Ray in a halfway house coming. Good twist and I am looking forward to next week. Hopefully it will continue to entertain because there is only so much reality tv one can watch before their brain fries.

Dumb question though, why is this in the Sci Fi forum? Did I miss some aliens or space ships last night??

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

So far, Lloyd is definitely my favorite character. Perfectly creepy but hilarious.

Here! Here!

I knew in the first 10 min. he was the one.