Season 12 General Gabbery and Speculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

503 replies to this topic

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 3:52 AM

Ugh! Enough with the cha cha already!! Too much cha cha this season!!

You can say that again!!! It must be the Judge's pick for a do over. I just don't understand why it would be the one dance that Kirstie did well - instead of one where she can show how she has improved. (like the one with the Maks fall?)

There is a lot of room for grassy knolling in THAT decision.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 4:50 AM

Press Release > (ABC) DwtS S12 Week 10 May 23rd Performances and May 24th Results Shows

On MONDAY, MAY 23 (8:00-9:01 p.m., ET), the couples will compete in two dances. The first number, the Judges' Choice, is the style that the judges have determined to be the one each couple showed promise in and could now excel at based on hours of practice and performance. Then all three contenders will perform their fan favorite Freestyle dances.

On TUESDAY, MAY 24 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET), as the three finalists perform their own favorite dance of the season and are ranked by the judges. The Black Eyed Peas, will perform the exclusive television premiere of their new single, "Don't Stop the Party".

For the first time in a "DWTS" Season Finale, Macy's Stars of Dance presents the Macy's Design-a-Dance fan favorite Jive song pick, "We Got the Beat," to be performed live in the ballroom by the Go-Go's. Country music star/"DWTS" Season 3 alum Sara Evans returns to the ballroom floor after having to withdraw from the competition.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 5:36 AM

You can say that again!!! It must be the Judge's pick for a do over. I just don't understand why it would be the one dance that Kirstie did well - instead of one where she can show how she has improved. (like the one with the Maks fall?)

Actually the judges' pick for Kirstie is the Samba. The Cha-cha-cha was chosen by her as the favorite dance of the season and will be performed on Tuesday.

Other confirmed dances are the judges' pick Samba for Chelsea & Mark and judges' pick Quickstep as well as favorite Samba for Hines & Kym.

I really hope that we will see the unlearned Ballroom dance as well - it's the Tango for Kirstie and Chelsea and the Waltz for Hines.

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 7:55 AM

When DWTS started, I thought it was fun and somewhat charming. There appeared to be little or no manipulation. The judges gave good critiques. That gradually changed. A relative saw the show for the first time recently, and commented he could hardly follow what the judges were saying.

Ralph probably would have been voted off even without the manipulation, but so what if he wasn't. If the voters overcame his low scores then why not let the public vote count instead of stacking the judges scores with the WTA dance? I quit watching American Idol after a few, "America got it wrong" comments. I won't say never, but think I'm about done with this show too.

The show has become too big for its britches. I miss the show that was.

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 6:43 PM

So are we not going to have the booted contestants from this season come back and dance again for the finale? For whatever it means, the only two bootees that I can recall off the top of my head are Chris and Romeo. I guess the fact that I cannot remember the others is either a symptom or a cause of the absolute boredom I have felt for this season.

WriterLiz1988

WriterLiz1988

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 6:52 PM

So are we not going to have the booted contestants from this season come back and dance again for the finale?

Yes, they will- Tuesday night. Ralph and Karina (among many of the DwTS couples) tweeted that they were practicing for the finale.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

These are confirmed dances for Week 10:

Kirstie & Maks: Samba (judges' pick), Freestyle & Cha-cha-cha (favorite dance of the season)
Chelsea & Mark: Samba (judges' pick), Freestyle & Cha-cha-cha (favorite dance of the season)
Hines & Kym: Quickstep (judges' pick), Freestyle & Samba (favorite dance of the season)

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 11:24 AM

Oh goody! Two cha chas! I just haven't seen that enough this season.

Is it just me or does it seem like they've really limited the number of dance styles this season?

Orwell1984

Orwell1984

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 11:51 AM

No, I think you're right. Some part of me wonders if maybe it's due to Kirstie's age and wanting to give a more "level" playing field.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

If that's true, then that's as bad as giving Chelsea 15 extra points. Especially if they eliminated the marathon for Kirstie as well. Bend over backwards much, show?

For a season that began with so much promise, it really lost its way. Oh well. I'm looking forward to seeing Chris, Romeo, and a few others perform tomorrow. I hope they can bring the funny too. I'm missing the humor.

Edited by Sunnyheart, May 23, 2011 @ 2:28 PM.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 3:35 PM

Some song choices I've heard:
Kirstie/Maks freestyle to "F'in Perfect" by Pink
Hines/Kym freestyle to "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5
Chelsea/Mark freestyle to "Latinos" by Proyecto Uno
Hines/Kym quickstep to "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Taco
Chelsea/Mark samba to "Hip Hip, Chin Chin" by Club Des Belugas

Edited by TWoP Pembleton, May 23, 2011 @ 7:16 PM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

No, I think you're right. Some part of me wonders if maybe it's due to Kirstie's age and wanting to give a more "level" playing field.

I don't really get that. The only dance Kirstie hasn't done is the Tango, and she has done the more physically exhausting ones like the Quickstep and the Jive (although the latter was bad). Ditto for the marathon: I've seen several of them and they can send off whoever they want because it's impossible to see. With this being the so called closest season yet, they could have easily sent Kirstie in fifth or fourth place and nobody would have objected.

I don't doubt that they want Kirstie in the finale, but I don't see why sparing her the tango and 5 or so extra point would hinder her when she probably has the biggest fanbase (or second biggest depending on Hines's) of the season.

jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 4:59 PM

I wonder if Maks is going to try to do another contemporary style piece with that Pink song. Kym is probably going to throw out one of her traditional fun freestyles.

Villainy

Villainy

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 5:08 PM

I don't think os. DwtS has definitely favored the sambas and cha cha chas over Latin over the classic ballroom styles over the last few seasons. Which is odd, to me at least, because a beautiful Quickstep or Paso or classic tango sears into the soul, I remember them forever. I've never seen an unforgettable samba o.~

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 5:23 PM

Mark and Chelsea are the only pair that not reveal their song so it was nice to be spoiled there. Reading Summer Eve's blog was fruitless in terms of spoilers but hilarious in terms of his ego out of control. Anyway, I think that song is the one that the Triplets danced to as kids. It was in one of those when they were younger video clips. As for their samba, tough song to live up IMO though I am sure the judges will still score them high. Not just Brooke, but Dmitry choreographed a great samba to that song on sytycd.

Mystic13

Mystic13

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 5:57 PM

I've never seen an unforgettable samba o.~

My all time favorite DWTS performance was the samba done by Apolo & Julianne! I have a link to it in my favorites so I can rewatch it every so often. Check it out: Apolo & Julianne Samba

In general, the samba and jive are my favorite dances and the paso is my least favorite, followed closely by both types of tango. Guess I prefer fun over drama when it comes to DWTS.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

Article > (Zap2It) DwtS Finale: Kirtie Alley, Chelsea Kane Take Opposite Approaches

Chelsea and Mark have teased the freestyle for weeks now, Chelsea saying that even their most adventurous dances had them "reining it in." "We're pretty excited," she says. "The nice thing is with this week is that there's one performance left. We no longer have to conserve and be careful, it's one night." (Here we witness Mark telling her there's also a performance during the finale results show.)

Podcast > Hines Ward and Chelsea Kane With Ryan Seacrest On KIIS FM Los Angeles CA - May 23, 2011

meowrr

meowrr

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 7:51 PM

Ugh. I have watched every season since the beginning (well, I admit I kind of spaced out during the Brooke and Donny seasons). After last week's departure of Ralph and Karina, it's officially off my dvr schedule. I don't need to tune in to hear the judges' rave over the dances, regardless of actual performance/content.

I predict the Hines will win as I strongly suspect he has been running away with it from week one. Double ugh. Farewell and goodbye, DWTS, it was fun while it lasted. And we'll always have Apolo ;-)

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 6:02 PM

DwtS S12 Week 10 Post-Performance Show Interviews : ETOnline : People

ETA: Video > (ABC) DwtS S12 Week 10 Unaired Confessionals

Edited by ByTheWay, May 24, 2011 @ 8:09 PM.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

I don't need to tune in to hear the judges' rave over the dances, regardless of actual performance/content.

You know, I found myself FF'ing through most of the judges comments this season. I used to think that listening to them would teach me more about dancing, and how to 'judge' a particular performance. But not anymore. Now their comments just strike me as more 'filler' with nonsensical attempts at humor to up the 'entertainment value' of the show.

I think I would agree with a decision to shake up the judges panel a bit, and give us something more watchable.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

DwtS S12 Week 10 Post-Finale Interviews : People : ETOnline

Video > (Akron Beacon Journal) Rich Heldenfels and Lynne Sherwin: DwtS S12 Week 10 Recap

thethinman

thethinman

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

Well that was a forgettable season. Regardless of the ratings, for me this show has definitely 'jumped'.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2011 @ 10:28 AM

If Simon Cowell was still on AI, I think they would have killed DwtS this season. What a snoozer. I think Hines is my least favorite winner - even worse than Helio - and that's sayin' somethin'

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 11:14 AM

The thing about that is that it's really not supposed to be about the judges.

And yet, this season of DWTS was so fraught with judges' shenanigans that it became the actual star of the show. Between the overscoring of favorites (which happens too often in each season lately), the sacrificing of a fan favorite (Romeo or Ralph, take your pick), and the degeneration of Bruno into, well, a degenerate, they stole the show. Oh yeah, speaking of stealing -- 15 fucking gift points??!! That is what robbed Ralph. If not for that, I'm confident Chelsea and Mark wouldn't have made the finals.

I'm hoping that Bruno isn't back, but frankly he was just the worst offender in a season of judging misbehavior and, well, malpractice.