Teen Mom 2: Why, MTV, Why?

• Please log in to reply

17720 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 11:57 PM

Since MTV is treating this as a "sister show" to MTV’s Teen Mom, we will too, by giving it a separate thread.

From People:

MTV isn't starting from scratch with Teen Mom 2, the follow-up to the sometimes controversial reality show Teen Mom. Instead, it's bringing back four girls from the second season of 16 and Pregnant to see where their lives as young mothers have taken them.

The girls – Chelsea, Jenelle, Kailyn and Leah – are all facing a unique set of challenges as they raise their babies while still growing up themselves.

According to ZAP2it, it will debut on January 11, 2011, at 10 PM Eastern.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jan 17, 2012 @ 9:33 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

Borrowing (okay, totally stealing) from Strega’s post in 16 and Pregnant, here is a reminder of the rules posters seem to have the most trouble with:

1. Stay on topic.

The thread is not called "MTV’s Teen Mom 2, and also a general debate about teen pregnancy, abortion, adoption, sociology, juvenile law, biology, your own personal family history, and anything else that comes to mind." Before you post, please reread what you've written and consider whether it is actually about the show.

You can certainly explain that you have some personal knowledge or experience that affects your opinion about the show. For example: "My niece got pregnant in high school, and her parents reacted the same way, so I think what happened on the show was understandable." If it takes you several paragraphs of backstory to get to the point, your post really isn't about the show anymore.

I'm going to allow real-time information into the thread, which is a big change. However, the focus of your post should always be what you've seen on the show, not what you read about their lives right now. In other words, saying something like, "Given how obsessed Jill was over Jack in this episode, the news that they are splitting up came as a shock" is okay. Making your entire post about real-time information isn't. If the real-time stuff takes over the thread, we're no longer talking about the show, but discussing gossip. There are plenty of sites to do that on, but this isn't one of them.

2. Agree to disagree, and don't make it personal.

If some of the opinions expressed here (or on other sites) make you sad, or angry, or depressed, or enraged, feel free to click your tongue in the privacy of your home. Posting about how dismayed you are is talking about the boards on the boards.

If someone expresses an opinion that you believe is blatantly, fundamentally wrong, welcome to the internet. You can certainly disagree, as long as you do so politely. But please don't try to convince someone to change their opinion by berating them at length; you're wasting your time, along with everyone else’s.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 26, 2012 @ 11:53 PM.

Ace Reject

Ace Reject

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

The cast is foul to begin with. SMDH as to how Jenelle made it into this series cast. Didn't she lose custody of her son to her mom?

Lovelway

Lovelway

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 12:11 AM

I would love to proclaim that I will not be watching these cretins, but I am admittedly curious as to what is going on with the Jenelle custody situation.

MartaDolores

MartaDolores

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 12:41 AM

I caught a couple minutes of her in the TM2 preview again the other day, the part where she got the text and then called her father to get him to come home - for WHAT?

I think her dad brought up that moment in the reunion, and how he had to refuse to come home. It certainly threw me for a loop, because my parents only allowed me to call them at work at certain hours, when they weren't as likely to be busy. I can't even imagine asking either my mom or dad to leave work to tend to my boyfriend drama.

I think Chelsea is the other side of Jenelle's neglectful parent coin. Jenelle would rather party and smoke out then raise her child, and Chelsea would rather go to football games with her besties and start silly drama with her asshole boyfriend then raise her child. Chelsea may be less abrasive than Jenelle, but she's still saddling her child with an unfit household

asull

asull

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 3:07 AM

I can definitely see why they chose the girls they did. Leah- twins, one with health problems, and I'm sure everyone wants to see how she and Corey are getting along after the crap she pulled in her 16&P episode.

Chelsea- I don't know about you guys, but I can't look away from the train wreck that is her relationship with that douchenozzle. I'm sure that's what they're banking on with that spoiled, vapid idiot.

Jenelle- She's just like Amber, only possibly worse. Nothing else need be explained.

Kailyn- I think Kailyn is going to be the Maci of this show. She's going to get the good edit. Hopefully she deserves the good edit. Guess we'll see.

lola212005

lola212005

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 3:30 AM

Didn't she lose custody of her son to her mom?

Yes she did. Even more repulsive to me, is that Jace's father Andrew is 25 years old! So that means he was sleeping Jenelle when she was 16/17 and he was 23/24 ish? Why didn't Barbara press charges against him for rape?

Also, Jenelle is currently dating a 20 year old guy with an arrest record.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 7:42 AM

Yes she did. Even more repulsive to me, is that Jace's father Andrew is 25 years old! So that means he was sleeping Jenelle when she was 16/17 and he was 23/24 ish? Why didn't Barbara press charges against him for rape?

Well, the age of consent in North Carolina is 16, so there would be no charges for Barbara to press. If they were sleeping together before she was 16 (and I think they were), then that's a problem. Even still, I don't know that I'd file charges for statutory rape--the lasting results of that charge are immense and sometimes undeserved. I view it on a case by case basis.

RacheltheGreat

RacheltheGreat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 9:28 AM

Even grosser? They had been dating 3 years before the pregnancy so she was 13/14 and dating a 20/21 year old.

Chelsea just rubs the wrong way. The girl has been given every opportunity to make a decent life for herself and Aubree and she wasted all of them and the worst part is she still thinks this is cute. I will admit the clip of Aubree in her high chair shaking her head at her grandfather is so sweet it's giving me diabetes.

Edited by RacheltheGreat, Jan 5, 2011 @ 9:28 AM.

Not a Teen Mama

Not a Teen Mama

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

I am most interested in Leah's storyline. Despite her whiny-ness during her episode, I liked her. It appears she has matured quite a bit, and I'm happy for her relationship with Cory. I'm also very curious to discover what is wrong with her daughter.

Kail's story is kinda boring to me. I was not a huge fan of her 16 and pregnant episode so I don't know how I feel about her being on Teen Mom 2, only time will tell I guess.

Trojangirldance

Trojangirldance

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

I'll be watching only to see Leah, Corey and the twins. Their story seems very compelling and it shows the not so "shiny" life of Teen Mom. I can't stand Jenelle so I'll tune out there, can't stand Chelsea so I'll tune out there. Kail I just don't want to hear whine all the time and try to get Jo's parents to be on her side every single time. I did notice in the clip being shown recently there is an argument where Jo's mom seems to be questioning her some. I feel for the girl's situation but she is just so needy and dependent on others that I can't deal with her.

djuna

djuna

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

I am really up for the Leah/Corey/twins storyline. I'd had my twins shortly before her special aired and I cut her maybe an unreasonable amount of slack because I have never been that sleep-deprived in my entire life (and I have other kids). Corey seemed like a stand-up dad. I'd say I'll ff through the rest of these nimwits, but I want to watch Jennell self-destruct. I just wish i had a more likable person to root for in her segments than her mom.

asull

asull

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 7:25 PM

I'm with ya, djuna! I have twins too (plus another kid) so I was also cutting her a lot of slack. It was only when she started to really get bitchy with Corey and go out to see her ex that I wanted to kill her. You just don't throw a guy like Corey back, they're too hard to find in the first place! I'm glad they worked it out. I'm hopeful for them.

Shamandalie

Shamandalie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 2:35 PM

I'm so glad TM2 has its own thread!

Its obvious why Jenelle and Leah are on here, but at first I was unsure why Kail and Chelsea are. Rethinking it though, its clearly because of their boyfriends. Adam was a blue ribbon fuck but Jo was no prize either. Amazing that he came from his parents, who seem very levelheaded and caring.

mittul

mittul

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

I'm suprised but thrilled that Nikkole is not on here. I thought she would be a shoe-in for this show but I guess not. I really thought it would be Janelle, Valerie, Nikkole, and Lori as the four for TM2. I liked both Kail and Leah in their 16 and Pregnant episodes so I'm kind of excited about this season.

Maximum Tuning

Maximum Tuning

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 2:51 PM

I'm suprised but thrilled that Nikkole is not on here. I thought she would be a shoe-in for this show but I guess not.

I bet they left her off the show since Josh was in jail during filming. Without him, her segments would be a snooze-fest.

Fabricationary

Fabricationary

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 7:49 PM

I love the thread subtitle.

A preview clip of next Tuesday's episode, "He's My Child" has been posted. It features our favorite new trainwreck of a teen mom and her oh-so-respectful treatment of her mother.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 7:56 PM

A preview clip of next Tuesday's episode, "He's My Child" has been posted. It features our favorite new trainwreck of a teen mom and her oh-so-respectful treatment of her mother.

She's such trash. But....I'm sure Barbara let a lot of that talking back shit go on for ages. I don't understand how Barbara and other parents like her sit there and let their dependent children curse them out. Seriously? I don't even curse in front of my mother--I'll be damned if I cursed her out. My mother doesn't play that shit and I knew better than to even play myself like that. Maybe if Barbara would have knocked Jenelle upside the head one good time the first time she got fly, Jenelle's behavior would not be so horrible now.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

IvyDarling I love you so much. You make me laugh. I do curse in front of my Mom, like in conversation if the dramatic story calls for it, but I am 25yrs old, live independently and I know she doesn't mind; however I would never, ever, EVER curse at her and when I was 17yrs old and living in her house I did not curse in her presence at all. I would be dead right now. Dead

Yes, Jenelle probably started talking back at 3yrs old, and then people thought it was cute.......now, not so much.(or they were too lazy to discipline her) I personally do not support corporal punishment, as I wasn't spanked, but I do think that if someone had put a little fear in Jenelle, not fear of her Mom, but fear of the consequences if she broke her Mom's rules she would not be in the position she is in now. That girl has NO respect for authority, for the woman who feeds and clothes her and her son........she had to get this sense of entitlement from somewhere. Although individuals choose their own path, often in contradistinction to their upbringing, if Jenelle was taught the tiniest bit of respect, and was taught that it was required she would at least keep her foul mouthed opinions to herself in her Mother's presence and while living in her home. JMO.

Edited by scarlett45, Jan 7, 2011 @ 8:20 PM.

JennyGil

JennyGil

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 9:45 PM

Jumping in to say I'm a little ashamed of how much I'm looking forward to this show. I was getting tired of the old Teen Mom crew, but darned if I could look away from the train wrecks. Now I'll have a fresh mess!

Jenelle is just hateful. I realize she was only included for the drama she would bring to the show, but how is her presence showing anyone how hard it is to be a young mom? She does not mother her child at all! And since we know she loses custody of Jace, it seems pointless to include her this season. Surely they'll have to replace her if they do another year with these girls? I don't know if that last part should be under spoiler bars or not, so I erred on the side of caution.

I'm kind of "meh" about Chelsea- I just don't have strong feelings about her either way.

I actually liked Leah in her 16&P episode. She was immature and made some bad decisions, but I felt like she did have her daughters best interest in mind and actually was a pretty good mom. Her relationship with Cory was rough, but I can't imagine being in her position- having twins with a guy you barely know and having to move in with him and try to make a relationship work? Yikes. I liked both of them, and am interested in their story the most. I do hope that the show is edited to show us more about how they cope with their daughter having problems, and less about their relationship drama.

I liked Kailyn in her episode too. Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling that I'm not going to like her as much after seeing this show. I hope I'm wrong!

Can't wait to read all the snark from you guys- I'm a devoted lurker in these shows' threads!

lola212005

lola212005

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 12:13 AM

I bet they left her off the show since Josh was in jail during filming. Without him, her segments would be a snooze-fest.

I thought she couldn't do the show to Michigan's child labor laws? Perhaps I'm imagining this, but I could have sworn that this was the reason why she and Lyle were not featured on the show.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 12:15 AM

I thought she couldn't do the show to Michigan's child labor laws?

How could this be when Catelynn and Tyler are from Michigan too and have done two seasons of TM? I'm not saying you are lying, lola212005, not in the least--but if this is the story Nikkole is telling then something in the milk ain't clean.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 11:05 AM

Chelsea would rather go to football games with her besties and start silly drama with her asshole boyfriend then raise her child.

I don't think the first part is fair. We saw her go to a game, her homecoming, and then she skipped the dance. I don't think she has to be tethered to her child at all times. Now, may she rather go to games than take care of her kid? Sure but I would also rather have skipped work yesterday than have gone in.

The silly drama part? Dead on.

breadprincess

breadprincess

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 11:58 AM

Plus, if I remember correctly, that was the first time Chelsea had left Aubree, period. I thought she showed good judgement by spending time with her friends, but still recognizing that she missed her baby and would rather spend time with her.

demifarro

demifarro

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 12:00 PM

Chelsea would rather go to football games with her besties and start silly drama with her asshole boyfriend then raise her child.

I disagree. [snip] She kept turning down opportunities to hang out with friends, in favor of being around her daughter. She went to homecoming, but declined going to the dance because she said she's rather be home and hang with her baby. Out of all the Season 2 girls, she was one of the more doting mothers and actually seemed to really enjoy being around her kid. Is she a drama queen? Yes, absolutely, but that is a totally separate entity from being a bad parent. [snip] She seemed sweet on her original episode.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jan 8, 2011 @ 9:43 PM.
Boards on boards

googs

googs

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 12:28 PM

She seemed sweet on her original episode.

For me, I'm just sick to death of watching people on any version of this show (male or female) putting up with abusive behavior from their partners. It's especially disgusting that MTV (in the form of Dr. Drew) doesn't in no uncertain terms condemn that type of behavior. As soon as whats-his-name sent that disgusting text to Chelsea that should have been it for him.

Also, Chelsea may be sweet enough, but she was spoiled and lazy. Just because it was easy for her to live off daddy and stay home with her daughter doesn't mean that's what she should have been doing. She was barely going to school and she had no job. Yeah, it's tempting to take the easy way out when someone lets you and her dad was doing her no favors by being such a pushover. However, that doesn't make me like or respect her. She has a kid now and needs to get some drive to do something with her life. It's not her dad's job to force her, she should just be doing it.

Perhaps she's improved and started with school and/or a job since her episode aired. I don't know. I'll wait and see when the new season starts.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jan 8, 2011 @ 9:45 PM.
Quoted post was edited

soapstone

soapstone

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

I thought she couldn't do the show to Michigan's child labor laws?
How could this be when Catelynn and Tyler are from Michigan too and have done two seasons of TM? I'm not saying you are lying, lola212005, not in the least--but if this is the story Nikkole is telling then something in the milk ain't clean.

Maybe the law is for younger children and would prevent Lyle from being filmed.

wonderchica05

wonderchica05

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

I'm interested to see Leah's story. I hope (if required) they show her daughter getting therapy. With kids under 3, a lot of therapist work in the home and it can get pretty interesting- the way people act when someone is regularly a part of their home life but not a friend or relative can be pretty surprising.

Lovelway

Lovelway

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

I do curse in front of my Mom, like in conversation if the dramatic story calls for it, but I am 25yrs old, live independently and I know she doesn't mind; however I would never, ever, EVER curse at her

Heh, I turn 40 next month and never swear in front of either parent. I think they would be shocked if I did. If any of my kids swore at me, you'd better believe it would never happen again. Does this only happen on tv??

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 5:12 PM

Does this only happen on tv??

I don't know about that. I've been in plenty of grocery stores where people just let their kids act a complete fool and disrespect them and then pretend like it's not happening when everyone starts to stare. They have to be doing it at home too.