Extreme Couponing

• Please log in to reply

2640 replies to this topic

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

Don’t post while the episode is airing—TWoP Howard

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:49 PM.

adixon99

adixon99

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:14 PM

For the first lady- was it just her & her husband? I can understand stockpiling if you have a large family, but for just 2 people? I did like the lady that pointed out that she only buys what she needs & doesn't do the extreme stockpiling like everyone else was doing. I also liked that she was educating other people about doing it. My husband was watching this with me & he was impressed...guess I won't hear any complaints when he sees all the coupons I clip.

OneLastRefrain

OneLastRefrain

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

My favorite thing about these people is that they have these huge stockpiles "so they don't have to shop for years!!!" Meanwhile, they're going back next week, next month, in three months, whatever. Eventually you don't need to stock up on hand lotion.

I can understand the thrill of getting something for free, but how about getting five for free? or two?! Why 150!? There is no way all that food isn't going to expire. Ew.

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:26 PM

adixon - yes the first woman was just her and her husband.

She looks like she will keel over from a grabber before she can eat her 150 candy bars.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

It is really crazy. Do they really need and use all of that stuff? Does that lady and her husband really need 150 candy bars?

I agree! She spent $50.00 in the store and $70.00 ordering all those coupons. So $120.00 for what looked to be mostly candy bars, sports drinks, and pasta. They don't need the candy bars or sports drinks and how much pasta do you need to hoard? I'm all for saving money but they were out there.
Plus the guy who had more deodorant and toothbrushes then he could use in a lifetime-wth? When do you stop stockpiling, or in their case more like hoarding.

Edited by jade76, Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:41 PM.

silverspoons

silverspoons

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:38 PM

I guess none of the states shown add tax to groceries or did I miss that? Our state taxes groceries so nothing is really free and some stores tax on the full price of the item, so a $6 tub of ice cream that becomes free with a sale and coupons, costs me .37 in tax.

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:39 PM

It is some kind of sickness. She was tearing up because she has canceled social plans and walked out of events so she could get her 20 bottles of free Listerine.

Economists have this concept of utilization. You get some value from that first bottle of free shampoo, a little less from the second bottle and so on. The utility of a 50th free box of pasta is nil. So it's definitely a hoarding issue or some sort of freebie addiction. Not something worth losing friends over or canceling social plans.

Edited by HollyTime, Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:45 PM.

bangs

bangs

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

wooooooooowwwww [/Flavor Flav]

I'm a total coupon shopper, but I'm a Joyce and not the other three. Although I don't harass all my neighbors for their coupons and snatch unretrieved papers off people's steps. Who the hell needs all that toilet paper? and laundry detergent? Etc???

RacheltheGreat

RacheltheGreat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

You read my mind. The only way I could justify that is if the pasta was going to the food bank.

A lot of the people who do really big shops donate to the food bank frequently.

I loved that they showed the second woman taking the other woman on the trip with her while also helping others in the store. One of the things that surprised me when I first started couponing was how helpful most of the experienced shoppers were. They were genuinely excited to teach me how to save money.

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:50 PM

I liked Joyce as well - she was truly doing it to save money for food she would eat.

The first woman was just a hoarder.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 9:56 PM

How much deodorant can one human being use?! Or hand soap? Or soda?! I can understand using coupons to save money, but when you have 300 sticks of deodorant, by the time you get to use bar #230, isn't that thing just DUST by that point?

I wonder when Nathan's going to use his "Come Out of the Closet FREE" coupon?

And yeah, the first lady was a hoarder. Hello, A&E!

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

Wow. Just watched this and am glad to find a topic for it.

Just to clarify, I agree with this comment about the first woman shown on the show (lives in Ohio):

The woman is so red faced - she looks really unhealthy. I agree it is some sort of hoarding behavior. It's so wasteful too, they can't use all that pasta, toothpaste, shampoo etc. They should give anything beyond a years supply to the food bank.

Someone posted a link that said "She does." But it links to a video clip featuring the second woman we saw on the show (the young married woman who lives in California) donating a load of stuff to a food bank. Not the woman from Ohio. The woman from Ohio was so much a hoarder.

I also liked Joyce a lot.

Besides the next showing tonight, TLC's online schedule lists it on January 4. I can't tell if it's this same show, or a new episode with four different people. http://tlc.discovery...0.56445.41059.0

bangs

bangs

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

I wonder when Nathan's going to use his "Come Out of the Closet FREE" coupon?

LOL!! Yeah, when his segment first started and he said something about "... we ..." I was waiting for the same-sex partner reveal.

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:38 PM

I guess none of the states shown add tax to groceries or did I miss that? Our state taxes groceries so nothing is really free and some stores tax on the full price of the item, so a $6 tub of ice cream that becomes free with a sale and coupons, costs me .37 in tax.

Actually, a lot of times you can get overages with the coupons, you just have to make sure that you buy enough, so that your total is over that amount. So, if something costs $1.97 with tax and you have a $2.00 off coupon, if you buy something that comes out to 5 cents more, then you'll get that extra three cents.

I shop like Joyce, and only use the deals when I need something. I've only stocked up, when it was free, and it's toiletries or something that isn't perishable. I moved into my current house in February with a stockpile of shampoo, razors, toilet paper, and cleaner. I'm just now getting to the bottom of the shampoo and toilet paper piles. It's good for someone like me, who is on a fixed income, going to school, and trying to pay off a mortgage.

Edit: I don't remember posting during the airing at 7:00 (central time); in fact, I'm pretty sure I watched the episode and then came here. But, I guess we had a bunch of posts in here before the time was up. Sorry!

Edited by chic_girl85, Dec 30, 2010 @ 12:14 AM.

pilotchasea

pilotchasea

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 11:43 PM

Did this thread just lose a bunch of posts? Mine is gone as well. I'll reserve comment until I actually see it, (and am too tired to remember my other comments). For now, I imagine this show tried to make coupons look as bad as possible as that's "good reality tv".

FlockRapid

FlockRapid

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 12:14 AM

All I know is I want to know where these people are finding coupons for free toilet paper! Why am I *paying* to wipe my ass when its clearly possible to do it for free???

bangs

bangs

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 12:25 AM

All I know is I want to know where these people are finding coupons for free toilet paper!

I had this exact same thought!!! I think the best I've ever done on a 12-pack of double rolls of the brands shown was $2.99, when Harris Teeter had it as an e-Vic for $4.99 during a super-double week so my $1 off coupon doubled. I can't believe I'm missing out on better coupons!

RacheltheGreat

RacheltheGreat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 12:30 AM

All I know is I want to know where these people are finding coupons for free toilet paper! Why am I *paying* to wipe my ass when its clearly possible to do it for free???

If you're serious there are a couple of ways to do it. Start by emailing the company, tell them you love their crap and ask for coupons. Sometimes they'll send you coupons for free product or sometimes it's just a coupon that is much higher value than the ones you get in the coupon inserts. If it's a high value one just hold on to it until that brand goes on sale for a good price and use the coupon to make it even cheaper. The other way is to look on the coupons to see if they specify a package size, if they don't go with the smallest size possible. Last week I had 4 coupons for $1 off X brand toilet paper with no size restrictions. The grocery store near me sells the 4 roll packs for $1 so instead of getting the 16 roll package I would normally get I used the 4 coupons to get 4 packs for free.

I will admit to having a small free toilet paper stash in my house (about 4 months worth) but the idea of 40 years worth is mind boggling. Forgetting the crazy pants aspect of it, it's a huge fire hazard.

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 1:04 AM

Coupons have always seemed to be more trouble than what they're worth to me, so I'm still not exactly sure what to think of these people. Buying huge quantities of items like this seems so wasteful to me. I'm almost have an easier time understanding the freaks on Toddlers & Tiaras than these Extreme Couponers.

Edited by little ghost, Dec 30, 2010 @ 1:05 AM.

trshbfeb77

trshbfeb77

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 1:43 AM

This show was bizarre. Why on earth would anyone buy 1100 boxes of Total cereal?

These people are my worst nightmare when I go grocery shopping. I could only imagine ending up behind them in line.

OneLastRefrain

OneLastRefrain

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 1:45 AM

This show was bizarre. Why on earth would anyone buy 1100 boxes of Total cereal?

Well, that crazypants did say he was going to bring it to the food bank. So yay for him. But he's still a nut.

SparkleGirl

SparkleGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 1:59 AM

Its clear that for some of these people, this is a form of obsessive behavior. Instead of calling it "hoarding," they can call it "stock piling." Essentially, its the same thing - collecting and amassing large quantities of items- obtaining pleasure in either the hunting/shopping stage or the possessing stage, or both.

I think people like the first couple are ridiculous. That woman really needs to get a life.

I would be Ok with it if she was donating some of her hoard to food banks and shelters, but to have that much stuff for 2 people- I don't know, there is just something off about that to me. There is something greedy about it that doesn't appeal to me.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 2:20 AM

Its clear that for some of these people, this is a form of obsessive behavior. Instead of calling it "hoarding," they can call it "stock piling." Essentially, its the same thing - collecting and amassing large quantities of items- obtaining pleasure in either the hunting/shopping stage or the possessing stage, or both.

Agreed. I did not care for Amanda at all. What the hell does she need with 300 candy bars? Why all of that pasta? Why does she have 40 years worth of toilet tissue and yet still feels the need to buy more? Why was she so selfishly clearing out all of the shelves? Maybe someone else had coupons that they'd like to use too. Why did her pushover husband let her takeover his "man cave" with all of her crap? That chic had issues.

Joanie...eh. I can see where her obsession came from. They had a period of being income-less and saw the benefit of having the stockpile. So I guess for her, it's both a matter of being in control of circumstances and having a backup just in case her family goes through another period of unemployment. But--chic, why do you get to wear gloves while going dumpster diving, yet you have your child digging through garbage with no protection? What sense does that make? Also, I felt bad for her son that he couldn't get a treat (his Spider man gummies) just because there was no coupon. C'mon, now! I'm not saying that this has to be an everyday occurrence, but why does there have to be a sale to give your son a treat?

Joyce was my favorite of the bunch. I liked that she helped people shop. I also liked how she made it clear that she was not about to get things just because they were free (Amanda, Nathan, and Joanie, I'm looking at you). She got what she needed and things she knew she'd use.

Nathan...meh. At least he was concerned with helping out his church and his family. That's all I have for him.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 2:24 AM

The third guy can say he's donating - and I hope that cereal did go to a food bank - but he had a fuckload of detergent and body wash and salad dressing and such in his garage.

Agree everyone but the middle woman who only bought things she used was some type of obsessed/hoarder/fucked up. Her story made sense, it was nice, she really seemed to like to help other people. I mean she obviously spent a ridiculous amount of time on it but she wasn't creepy.

The first woman? Creeepy, weird, offputting and in need of mental help. Her on about she's ditched dinner, social events, etc., to go shopping and then her excited discussing of how much she needs to be in control... creepy.

I thought the one who moved her hoard to California was also nutty. She talked about using stuff in the hoard one time but if she's moving it, she's not using it.

As someone noted, they're on about they have X amount of whatever, but then they go to the market every two days and spend the days in between planning going to the market, etc, etc. If they got jobs, they wouldn't need to save so much, heh.

jarja grl

jarja grl

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 2:26 AM

I am sincerely glad that people are finding ways to cut costs - coupons serve a good purpose.

I do, however, feel that getting 1000 boxes of cereal for "free" (even IF you are donating them to a food bank) - is sort of cheating the system. Ultimately, nothing is free. There is a cost to plant, harvest, ship, process, package, transport, stock and sell every item in the stores - so if someone gets 1000 items for "free" - I can't help but believe that the rest of us are paying for that freebie - in higher prices to make up the deficit from all that free stuff.

IMO - it seems better to use the coupons for the items you will actually use in a reasonable timeframe - If the coupon folks have shown us anything from this show - it's that there will be a new sale next week, next month, next year --- there's no need to acquire everything today.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 2:48 AM

If they got jobs, they wouldn't need to save so much, heh.

Amanda (the first girl) does have a job. But I don't understand how she works a full time job (per the narrator) and still has time to do this stuff.

As for Joanie--I imagine she's a SAHM, and I've heard SAHMs mention that one of their jobs is figuring out how to cut corners so they can live and try to be comfortable on one salary.

Joyce is retired--but, again, she wasn't weird about it. She's probably living off of a pension or some retirement plan, so I think it makes sense for her to stretch her income in this fashion. But, she wasn't a hoarder.

I missed Nathan's deal.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 2:49 AM

I thought the same thing - that those of us who pay for stuff are paying for their 'freebies.' If it were mostly going to shelters, food banks, I'd be less put off by it, but it seems like it's mostly just sitting in their houses going bad.

The first loons, with the pasta - she said the market was doing '10 for $10 again.' So obviously, the $1/box thing happens regularly. Why 125 boxes of each shape NOW? like, won't she want to buy it next time? Also, honestly, if it's $1/box regularly, and there are, apparently, coupons for it, how the hell much can it be if you just buy like, two or three boxes at a time?

Something like toilet paper, body wash, deodorant, i can see keeping more on hand if you find it cheap. It's expensive, you're going to need it, presumably, but $1 boxes of pasta?

Edited by beezer, Dec 30, 2010 @ 2:50 AM.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 3:13 AM

Honest to God, these shows are making me scared of ever leaving my geographical or career cocoons. (And I've worked with some very challenging people, too.)

I thought Joyce House seemed the most down-to-earth and sane of the people shown tonight. Her underlying reasons for what she did made sense, and she tried to share her hints with sister-shoppers, too. Her shopping trips seemed to be when others were in the store; and it didn't look like she received any special treatment with bringing the groceries outside, etc.

But the other three extremists were just ordinary addicts wearing extraordinary costumes -- made of coupons, of course.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 3:50 AM

Mixed emotions about this show. On the one hand, once again anyone who actually cares about saving money gets painted with the crazy brush rather than being portrayed realistically. On the other, while everyone gets all judgmental about it, that just means they're too turned off to try it - less fighting over what's in stock for those of us who do.

Flat out staged bs from the show:
Stores have coupon limits for single transactions, whether it's 3 or 5 or 12 - it varies by store - but you can't use 100 identical coupons in a single checkout. You have to break them up into smaller transactions (meaning you scan 5, use 5 coupons, pay, start over, scan 5, use 5 coupons, pay, start over). Same with the first couple's monster transaction. No way in hell the store would've let them scan all that up front except for a tv camera. It would've been broken down (and honestly, in some stores, they would've been thrown out for attempting it).

Transactions never ever ever go that smoothly in those kinds of quantities. Unless you live somewhere where you are literally the only couponer in town, there will be something out of stock, or not stocked enough to buy as many as you plan. That means you have to constantly track what goes in the cart and pull the coupons you won't be using as you go. Stores intentionally understock sale items, some more than others, in relation to how much demand the deal would generate. You can get a raincheck, but most "normal" people aren't going to bother - they'll just get the next size up or a different brand at full price.

It doesn't take 70 hrs a week (or 3 hrs a day, or 7 miles worth of inserts, or any of the other bullshit they insinuated). It takes less than an hour. That poor woman in the first segment - someone needs to tell her that instead of doing all that walking the aisles, there are websites that do it for you - you log in, look at a list of every store special, check the boxes of the ones you want, and print the list. It tells you what coupons to use, what date they were printed or where they are online. It takes me all of 5 minutes. The people who are doing all those hours of work aren't doing it because they have to, they're doing it because they need to be on Intervention instead of this show.

And the clipping service - no sane person orders $70 worth of any one coupon (with the exception of things like $5 each off diapers - certainly NOT for candy bars and Gatorade).

So aside from the obviously staged bits - I am terrified of those stockpiles. I stockpile (in reasonable quantities for our family to last 3 months to match the sale cycle). There is no way in Hell I would leave all that food out with nothing between it and passing rodents and bugs except a cardboard box and the weather strip under the garage door. They pan those garages and all I can think is "mice and mealworms". FFS at least get some Rubbermaid containers in there.

Can't believe the self-proclaimed "coupon master" paid 30 cents a bottle for 60 bottles of soap I can get for free, either, but I'll chalk that up to the show not thinking he had enough stuff and pushing him to find more.

Of the 4, I liked the 3rd woman best, as far as her attitude - eat healthy, only buy what you'll use. Not crazy about her pushiness on complete strangers, but that's just me. Also agree with the 2nd woman - I profile cashiers, too. The older ladies are the ones who treat you like you're defrauding the store. You'd think the money on the coupons came out of their checks instead of the store getting paid 8 cents on top of the face value (and when you explain that to them, they get even nastier). I stick to the young ones who don't care and actually get a kick out of watching the numbers drop.

ETA:

I can't help but believe that the rest of us are paying for that freebie - in higher prices to make up the deficit from all that free stuff.

Not exactly. The store makes money every time you use a coupon - they get the face value plus 8 cents. The 8 cents and the money from the coupon comes from the advertising budget of the company that makes the product. You aren't paying "higher" prices, and nothing stops you from using coupons either, you just choose not to. For in-store sales, the extra money (like when coupons are doubled or tripled), comes from the store's advertising budget or co-op deals with product manufacturers. What it comes down to is this - they are going to budget that money in advance, based on how many coupons they print, and they are going to front load that cost onto their retail price whether people use the coupons or not. Every coupon that gets thrown away is another 58 cents or $1.33 they budgeted for and aren't spending, so either way, they come out ahead. It doesn't change what you pay.

Edited by Nena, Dec 30, 2010 @ 3:55 AM.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 3:59 AM

once again anyone who actually cares about saving money gets painted with the crazy brush rather than being portrayed realistically.

I don't think anyone but the one woman actually cared about saving money. I think this was their fixation and they weren't actually saving money.

As the one woman who bought only stuff she used could have told them, it's not saving money if they're spending money on shit they won't use, either because they don't or because it'll go bad/expire before they can.

Most of the stuff we saw in most of the hoards I don't think will ever be used. The woman moved her hoard from Ohio to California instead of "starting again." It'd seem to me if she knew she was moving, and what she was doing had anything to do with saving money instead of indulging her little obsession, she'd have stopped shopping for anything but perishables, and used everything possible from the hoard so that they didn't have to pay money to transport it. She said they moved a half ton of food. That's not cheap, even just adding it on to a household move, it's going to require a bigger truck, more hours moving it on and off the bigger or separate truck. She paid a fuckload for that stuff and refuses to use it.

I think the one woman was saving money but the first couple, even paying $10 for 500 boxes of pasta they'll clearly never use is actually wasting $10, not saving anything, imo. She paid nearly $60 that trip and it all seemed to be dumped by the hoard, never to be touched except to be gazed upon. So that's $ wasted.

Not exactly. The store makes money every time you use a coupon - they get the face value plus 8 cents. The 8 cents and the money from the coupon comes from the advertising budget of the company that makes the product.

Those are manufacturers coupons though, a lot of these people used store coupons as well and, as you note, they had stores that double coupons (I've seen people discuss these mythical stores on shows like this; I have never seen one of these stores in my life, to my knowledge, never seen a store do that) which may come out of an amount budgeted to it but the first couple, and the guy were talking about thousands of coupons, and they do it all the time. If it doesn't bust the budget, and cause the store to edge up a markup, then it may cause them to stop doubling coupons, fucking over people who used them like normal, not like these loons.

Edited by beezer, Dec 30, 2010 @ 4:07 AM.