Re-watchable Movies

• Please log in to reply

226 replies to this topic

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2014 @ 4:32 PM

Sherry67, great list! Many of those are on my list as well.

Can't NOT watch Seven when it comes on.

Also love Dangerous Liaisons and Little Children. Sex, Lies and Videotape is on my list from way, way back. James Spader was a dish back then!

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2014 @ 3:45 AM

Yeah, I have a thing about watching Dangerous Liaisons and Sex, Lies and Videotape whenever they're on, too.

I usually can't stop myself from watching any John Hughes teen movie. If I stumble onto one, that's it for me. The only exception is if The Breakfast Club is playing on basic cable. I can't handle the dubbing.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2014 @ 1:28 PM

The Godfather I and II are always movies I can sit down and watch when they are on  The Shawshank Redemption is another although to this day, I've never seen the movie straight through.  I always seem to catch the last 45 minutes of it whenever it's on.

During the Easter holiday, The Ten Commandments is still must-see, if only to make fun of the performances and camp.  But it's an entertaining movie.

Another movie that is very rewatchable for me is Heartbreak Ridge starring Clint Eastwood.  Although the language is heavily dubbed (like the aforementioned Breakfast Club) it is a movie I love watching.  Usually airs on AMC or The History Channel.  Entertaining and funny movie.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2014 @ 9:57 PM

During the Easter holiday, The Ten Commandments is still must-see, if only to make fun of the performances and camp. 

Billy Crystal ruined that movie for me. "Where's your messiah nooooow?"

Edited by AimingforYoko, Feb 10, 2014 @ 9:58 PM.

EmiMyCat

EmiMyCat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2014 @ 5:14 AM

I think Rushmore is Murray's best. But Groundhog Day is wonderful.
Dazed and Confused. Muriel's Wedding, yes, I'm a sucker for a brilliant soundtrack.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2014 @ 8:40 AM

I never understood all the praise for Murray's performance in Rushmore.  The few times he was on the screen, he just stood around looking sad.

divanspud

divanspud

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 12:32 PM

It's threads like this that make me realize just how many movies I love, and how different they are.

Put me down for many of the ones already mentioned...Shawshank, Elf, The (Original) Parent Trap, Practical Magic....etc.

Plus:

All of The Thin Man movies

The Andy Hardy series - love the simpler times...and "Dad, can we talk man to man?"

Since You Went Away -  kind of goes along with The Best Years of Our Lives to me

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead

1st Wives Club

The Net - early computer hacking at it's best :)

Pearl Harbor - I know, it didn't get good reviews at all, and casting Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle was stupid, but I love this movie

Midway

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

About Last Night

To Sir With Love - LOVE this

Coal Miner's Daughter - love Sissy Spacek & Tommy Lee Jones in this

Soooo many more.....my favorite era is the '30s-40's I just can't think right now! Movie overload...

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 5:50 PM

Pearl Harbor - I know, it didn't get good reviews at all, and casting Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle was stupid, but I love this movie

Ironically, Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle and Jon Voight as FDR were the only things I liked about the movie

divanspud

divanspud

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 11:17 AM

Ironically, Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle and Jon Voight as FDR were the only things I liked about the movie

I loved Jon Voight as FDR as well. It's just that Alec Baldwin couldn't have been more different from Jimmy Doolittle.

I just thought the casting was way off, if they were trying at all to cast the part as close as possible to the real person.

Like casting Henry Fonda as Nimitz in Midway was right on, but as much as I love Robert Mitchum, he was no where near Halsey in real life. eh. But, good (to me) movies just the same :)

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 3:38 PM

I don't think I saw the movie Cousins on this thread yet.  I found Isabella Rossellini so completely charming in this piece o'fluff.  William Petersen played her vile husband - to this day I still cannot watch him in anything because I grew to dislike him so much in this movie.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 5:09 PM

The Thin Man movies

Big fat word on this!  It's amazing Myrna Loy & William Powell weren't a real life couple!  Their chemistry truly sparkles and even as the later films begin to run out of steam, they're still very watchable.

May I add "Tora! Tora! Tora!" to the list?  I can't get enough of watching all the events as they unfolded in one of the most infamous moments in US history. 

Schweedie

Schweedie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 6:51 AM

I just thought of another one , which could probably go either in here or in the 'Guilty Pleasures' thread, but - Heartbreakers, with Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sigourney Weaver. I don't even know why, but I pretty much always watch that film when I find it in the tableau. I find it charming somehow, and for whatever reason I've always really liked JLH.

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 8:33 AM

I'm like a little kid in how often I feel like watching High Noon. I'm not a fan of westerns by any stretch of the imagination (they all seem exactly alike to me), but I adore this one. In addition to being gorgeous to look at, it has that haunting theme song that brings to mind a pounding heart, a suspenseful plot, and a surprisingly good performance by Gary Cooper (who I tend to find boring and too earnest), but best of all? There's not one, but two well-written, compelling and sympathetic female characters. It's rare to find even one in a western, much less two. I love world-weary, strong-minded Helen and naive but principled Amy, who is ostensibly weak but turns out to be a courageous woman capable of deep love and heroism (this might be my favorite Grace Kelly performance). For crying out loud, they even pass the Bechdel Test! 

I consider this and the 2010 True Grit as the Best Westerns for People who Hate Westerns.

divanspud

divanspud

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

Big fat word on this!  It's amazing Myrna Loy & William Powell weren't a real life couple!  Their chemistry truly sparkles and even as the later films begin to run out of steam, they're still very watchable.

May I add "Tora! Tora! Tora!" to the list?  I can't get enough of watching all the events as they unfolded in one of the most infamous moments in US history. 

I know! There are other movies they made together, not in the Thin Man series. They're pretty good as well, it's just kind of weird to see them not as Nick and Nora.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is one of my favorites too. Anything WWII (mostly).

BeastSaver

BeastSaver

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 2, 2014 @ 8:58 PM

One movie I would love to see again is The Heiress, starring Olivia DeHavilland (1949). She is manipulated by a fortune seeker who deserts her when he finds out she is to be disinherited if she marries him. Years later he comes back (after her father's death and she comes into her fortune) and she turns the tables on him, treating him the same way he treated her. I'll have to look for it. 

All the Alien movies (even the Alien vs. Predator movies). I was so excited when Prometheus came out and hope there will be a sequel at some time.

Galaxy Quest (what a hoot), Moon, Avatar, Serenity (and Firefly on TV - love Nathan Fillian)

Resident Evil movies (I like zombies).

Lord of the Rings. I even bought the extended cuts I loved them so much. I won't do the same with the Hobbit movies, though. There is not enough book for three movies and a lot of stupid stuff (IMO) has been added.

Movies based on Jane Austin's books: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, and Emma.

Pirates of Penzance (with Linda Ronstadt)

A Room With a View

The Piano

The Importance of Being Ernest

Shirley Valentine (a woman goes on a Greek vacation with a friend and finds herself again)

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle

Malice

carly hope

carly hope

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2014 @ 3:49 AM

The Core is a movie I usually pause at whenever I find on TV. I like the performances and the characters, I can handwave the improbabilities because they make it all seem plausible, I like the pace and the relaltionships.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 10:10 PM

I agree with many of the films listed on these pages - most of them are classics that bear watching over and over. However, one that I haven't seen here I feel needs to be mentioned - The Verdict.  I think it's probably Paul Newman's best performance ever, as a broken-down attorney who has a case fall into his lap, and it winds up changing his life.  Newman gets great support from Jack Warden, Milo O'Shea, James Mason and Lindsey Crouse. I've watched it many times. It's a terrific film.

Edited by MeeMaw, Apr 12, 2014 @ 7:32 AM.