Nitpicks and Continuity Flaws:

• Please log in to reply

90 replies to this topic

leesha79

leesha79

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 4:42 AM

Because even Breaking Bad isn't perfect! And neither am I, and was unable to think of a suitable phrase to adorn the name of this post. Any ideas?

• In the pilot, the camera pans briefly to a closet stuffed full of baby supplies, and we see a box of Pampers Baby Dry brand diapers in amongst the loot. Of course in "Seven Thirty Seven", Walt frantically races to a now set-up nursery and rips into a box of generic low-end "Dry n'Tidy" store brand diapers to use as a place to keep the cash and the gun. We only see two boxes of the Dry n'Tidy diapers and the Pampers are nowhere to be seen. Doubtful Skylar would set up a nursery and not put the expensive Pampers brand in there to use and instead only have the generic.

• One more thing about Skylar and the baby: I found it pretty unrealistic that pushing-40 Skylar would shed the baby weight so fast, she was thin with a flat stomach a couple of weeks after Holly's birth. I know young women often lose all the baby weight effortlessly, but Skylar's maternal age indicates to me that her metabolism would be slower and she wouldn't be rocking a flat stomach and form-fitting jeans a couple weeks after giving birth.

• Also, in a more general sense, Walt should have lost ALL his hair during the chemo. I helped my aunt through hers and she lost every scrap of hair on her body, right down to the eyelashes, and her nails split and fell off down to the quick. The nurse who helped my aunt through her treatments said that pretty much everyone loses all the hair and many lose the nails.

Edited by leesha79, Dec 28, 2010 @ 11:02 AM.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

We only see two boxes of the Dry n'Tidy diapers and the Pampers are nowhere to be seen. Doubtful Skylar would set up a nursery and not put the expensive Pampers brand in there to use and instead only have the generic.

The good diapers could have been a baby shower present, and then Walt and Skylar could have decided to save money and buy the store brand diapers.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

I figured that Walt was going to lose all his hair soon anyway, and decided to just get it over with.

LReeses

LReeses

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 2:00 PM

Not sure if this is a continuity error or not, but how is Hank related to Skyler and Walt? I've heard both of them call Hank their brother-in-law, and I've heard Hank call Skyler his sister-in-law (in 2.12 when Skyler goes to feed the baby he says "it's my sister-in-law's breast). Whose actual brother is he?

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

Neither. Hank's married to Marie, who's Skyler's sister.

GinaRomantica

GinaRomantica

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 7:56 PM

Leesha79, chemo is not one drug but hundreds of drugs given in different combinations. Some cause hair loss and some don't. Some cause eyelash and eyebrow loss but not hair loss. Lung cancer is treated with different drugs than colon cancer etc. This show is so carefully researched that I am sure the side effects of Walt's treatment are accurate.

smitchell1s

smitchell1s

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 7:59 PM

• One more thing about Skylar and the baby: I found it pretty unrealistic that pushing-40 Skylar would shed the baby weight so fast, she was thin with a flat stomach a couple of weeks after Holly's birth. I know young women often lose all the baby weight effortlessly, but Skylar's maternal age indicates to me that her metabolism would be slower and she wouldn't be rocking a flat stomach and form-fitting jeans a couple weeks after giving birth.

she looks more like she would after a birth this past season than she did earlier on. i don't know if this was intentional or if Anna just gained some pounds, but it's definitely noticeable

Edited by smitchell1s, Oct 16, 2011 @ 7:59 PM.

Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 16, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Walt was beginning to lose his hair (it was spotty), and then decided to shave it off. He apparently went into remission before the worst hair-loss (eyebrows, nails) would've occurred. We still see him actively shaving his head, so his current look is unrelated to the cancer.

Hanks' "brother-in-law" status is very, very loose where Walt is concerned. Hank doesn't seem to have any family, and possibly is unable to have children, so he has a close relationship with his sister-in-law's family (in addition to his workaholic lifestyle).

warwick

warwick

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 4:41 PM

Minor nitpick:

In the end of season two, Hank gave a presentation to his fellow agents and mentioned that the "blue sky" had disappeared from New Mexico, but was appearing elsewhere around the Southwest. "Almost as if somebody wised up and stopped shitting where they eat," he theorized. Hank maintained that Heisenberg is still at large and still in town.

But if "blue sky" was no longer distributed in New Mexico, why were the two dealers who were working for Gus (the ones who had Combo killed and Walt later ran over) selling it in ABQ?

Robespierre

Robespierre

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 9:30 PM

What about Jesse and Jane's visit to the Georgia O'Keefe museum? Jesse blows it off so he can go cook in the desert with Walt in Four Days Out, and soon thereafter he and Jane are doing drugs first thing as they wake up and Jesse tries to coax Jane out of the house with the promise of the museum. In the later flashback, however, it very much seemed to be a time before Jane had fallen off the wagon, and I don't think there was time in the plot for them to go after her relapse. The LA Times suggested the flashback was Jesse's fantasy, though the presence of Jane's lipstick-stained cigarette butt in the ashtray seems to suggest otherwise.

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2011 @ 9:35 PM

But if "blue sky" was no longer distributed in New Mexico, why were the two dealers who were working for Gus (the ones who had Combo killed and Walt later ran over) selling it in ABQ?

At the end of S2, Gus had only made one large purchase from Walt. Generally, it wouldn't have been in Gus' distribution system til S3.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

Continuity or nitpick? Not sure, but in S3 the file folder that was supposed to have divorce papers in it was obviously empty. You could see daylight through it. How hard is it to put some papers in a file?

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

I'd bet dollars to donuts that this is the shortest nitpick and continuity type thread for any show anywhere any time. Clearly the show has a lot more going for it than continuity, but I'd also bet that show runners paying attention to the details of cannon is a requirement for a show to be great. Or maybe it's just that they inhabit the lives of their characters.
The show having a predetermined conclusion is no doubt a contributing factor to both it's excellence and it's continuity.

clancy25

clancy25

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

I'd bet dollars to donuts that this is the shortest nitpick and continuity type thread for any show anywhere any time.

Maybe- it could be a combination of things like people doing their "nitpicking" in other threads, etc. And in general, some threads on nitpicking can be artificially inflated by well... subjective nitpicking. :)

Anyway, here's my contribution- the shootout between Hank and the cartel twins in season 3 was an awesome scene but did leave me with some questions. The cell phone warning (from presumably Gus) was incredibly precise, right down to the one minute warning- I couldn't really see Gus going along for the ride and sitting in the car as the twins went on the attack. I can't see Gus wanting to be much more involved than giving the ok and avoiding any other connection with shooting a DEA agent. So again, it makes the whole phone warning look like a bit of a stretch.

On a related note, I'm not sure why an unarmed Hank sat in his car frantically looking around the parking lot instead of just driving the hell out of there!

warwick

warwick

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

The cell phone warning (from presumably Gus) was incredibly precise, right down to the one minute warning- I couldn't really see Gus going along for the ride and sitting in the car as the twins went on the attack.

Mike gave the warning call. I believe it was mentioned in one of the official podcasts.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

You were right Warwick, it was mentioned that it was Mike.

Gotta love the pod-cast, lots of info.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:33 PM

Minor nitpick:

In the end of season two, Hank gave a presentation to his fellow agents and mentioned that the "blue sky" had disappeared from New Mexico, but was appearing elsewhere around the Southwest. "Almost as if somebody wised up and stopped shitting where they eat," he theorized. Hank maintained that Heisenberg is still at large and still in town.

This is exactly the gripe I came to this thread to air. I think it's more than a minor nitpick, although maybe not a major flub. Call it a moderate continuity error. One thing that is unfortunate about it is that it undermines the idea of Gus being so careful. (Similarly, I don't understand why Tomas was killed, although that's not really a nitpick. Nor is it a continuity error.)

At the end of S2, Gus had only made one large purchase from Walt. Generally, it wouldn't have been in Gus' distribution system til S3.

No...because it was being found in all those other surrounding states, so it was in his distribution system.

On a related note, I'm not sure why an unarmed Hank sat in his car frantically looking around the parking lot instead of just driving the hell out of there!

I never thought about that, but it is a great point!

thehunter

thehunter

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

Re: Skylar shedding the weight fast. I don't recall a lot of mention of 'time' through that phase; so, I doubt the show was supposed to take place day-by-day, so it may have only seemed as though she lost it quickly.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

I just binge-watched this show over the past week-and-a-half, so sorry for coming late to the thread.

But one of the biggest things I've noticed is that Walt and Skyler have no friends and very little family. There's Hank and Marie, and that's pretty much it. Sure, they visit Gretchen and Elliot, but those aren't people they socialize with regularly.

Just seems like Skyler would have a female pal to talk to (or at least mention) at some point, or Walt and Skyler would mention some other couple with whom they socialize. And we never hear about Skyler and Marie's parents or whether they have siblings.

I'm guessing that Walt's mom may be his only family left, but we don't hear whether we has siblings. I also found it a little odd that Gomez, Hank's co-worker, would come to the birthday party and baby shower. 

Does all this strike anyone else as odd?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

I'm guessing that Walt's mom may be his only family left, but we don't hear whether we has siblings. I also found it a little odd that Gomez, Hank's co-worker, would come to the birthday party and baby shower. 

Does all this strike anyone else as odd?

Gomez was Hank''s partner and they appeared to be pretty close so that didn't strike me as odd at all. Many people have close friendships that develop on the job.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

But one of the biggest things I've noticed is that Walt and Skyler have no friends and very little family. 

Walt is kind of an asshole, even before he started making meth. I could see how it could be hard for him to make friends. Unless you are someone who is family who can accept him and know that it is just his personality I could see why people wouldn't want to hang out with him. Plus at the beginning of the series Walt and Skylar were in financial trouble and always fighting about money. Not the kind of place you would really want to go for over for dinner. 

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 10:06 AM

Gomez was Hank''s partner and they appeared to be pretty close so that didn't strike me as odd at all. Many people have close friendships that develop on the job.

I wasn't questioning Gomez being Hank's friend; I was questioning him coming to the Whites' events. I don't socialize with my in-laws' co-workers. Not saying it isn't possible; I'm sure it is. Just struck me as odd.

Redbird95

Redbird95

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

Walt seems to get along with Gomez pretty well. Walt has said before that he is pretty much apart of the DEA family..So as far as we know they could be friends.

Edited by Redbird95, Aug 13, 2013 @ 12:03 PM.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2013 @ 12:19 PM

Good point, Redbird 95. I hadn't thought about that -- Walt's downfall will have a big effect on Gomez too, I guess.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

Walt and Skyler have no friends

Early in the series, they seemed to have a lot of redshirt friends in the background when they would have parties for Walt's birthday or celebrating his triumph over cancer or whatever. It's true that is slightly unrealistic that none of them ever seems to take Marie's place as a confidante or be shown hanging out with Skyler at least. And even for Walt, I don't think just saying he has always been kind of an asshole really holds up. Look at the most recent episode and how he was shown giving the next door neighbor a friendly greeting, which she returns, and contrasting that with her later reaction once she knows he is Heisenberg. Or in the previous episode, the 5a finale, how he shoots the breeze with Hank and Marie in the back yard by the pool. Walt is actually the kind of guy who knows very well how to schmooze people--he could be a salesman.

I just think the real issue is basically "meta". The cast is already reasonably large, and adding in a realistic number of friends and acquaintances with speaking roles would bog down and overcomplicate the narrative. It's similar to the issue on Parenthood, which is generally pretty realistic as TV dramas go. But the show deals with three and even occasionally four generations of a family. The elder Bravermans have four offspring, all of whom had kids of their own. Thus the youngest generation of the cast should have eight other non-Braverman grandparents; yet only one has been shown in a speaking role from time to time, and one other is mentioned occasionally and was portrayed as being on the other end of a phone line once. Other cousins, aunts and uncles are not dealt with at all. And similarly to Breaking Bad, there are very few nonrelated friends shown either. Generally the siblings in the middle generation hang out with each other; and the elder Bravermans are shown hanging out with their children but not with peers. In some sense that is highly unrealistic, but to deal with it realistically would be a logistical nightmare and would probably make the show unwatchable.

Edited by neplusultra, Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:05 PM.

Consternation

Consternation

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

Principal Carmen was always around a lot, usually shown hanging with Skyler at parties. Until Walt was an asshole to her.

beaugard

beaugard

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

I saw this mentioned on reddit, but someone noticed one of the money bags disappears when Walt goes to visit Jesse and give him his money back.  He puts the two bags on top of each other on the couch- this separates them but when Walt moves to the couch, there's only one bag there.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

Look at the most recent episode and how he was shown giving the next door neighbor a friendly greeting, which she returns, and contrasting that with her later reaction once she knows he is Heisenberg.

I think this is the same neighbor he deliberately sent into a house he thought had Gus's assassins in it.  He was actually correct.  Maybe he (correctly) thought that Gus's hired killers would depart the scene upon the arrival of an innocent bystander (clearing the scene for him), but he deliberately sent this innocent bystander into a den of killers.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

No I don't think it's the same one. The first one was named Rebecca, maybe Becky. This neighbor is Carol.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

I believe the other neighbor lives to the left of Walt's house while this neighbor lives on the right.