Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Some new spoilers centered on Jimmy/Steve and somewhat Fiona

http://blog.zap2it.c...en-at-work.html

Funke

Funke

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

Really enjoying this series.

One thing that is bugging me though is Monica. The family are being way too sympathetic with her when she had done nothing to earn their trust. So when she steals the money they worked their butts off to earn and crashes the car, that should be it, Lip should have left her in lockup and told never to come back. When that didn't happen, I'm then expecting Fiona to kick off when she finds out what's happened and throw her out, but no, she leaves her there.

Even when she was supposedly being a good mother, she was still being utterly selfish and had no interest in doing any housework, sure she'd bake cookies but it was always Fiona cleaning up after her.

So really, i have no sympathy for that character at all which is a huge problem for me, because clearly I'm supposed to. Huge disconnect there that somewhat spoiled the second half of season two.

Jody and Sheila have been delightful though.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

So really, i have no sympathy for that character at all which is a huge problem for me, because clearly I'm supposed to.

I don't think we're supposed to have any sympathy for Monica. They were just showing us what a problem she is. For that matter, other than Fiona, I don't think we're supposed to have sympathy for anyone on the show. On British based series, they frequently show unlikeable characters, and you get to like them after a while, but I don't think you're supposed to sympathize with them when they constantly do bad things. In the US version, they are going into the psychology of the characters more than they did on the UK version.

I just re-watched the episode where Grammy shows up, twice. Who would I have sympathy for in that episode? Maybe Sheila.

Kev

Kev

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 5:39 AM

She was one bad grandma.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

They're going to be filming exteriors in Chicago starting at the end of August for the next season. Hopefully the second half of the ninth season of UK Shameless will start before then. Monica was way more annoying on the UK series. Frank will probably be the only Gallagher left on the show in the UK.

Edited by brothertonbanks, Jul 9, 2012 @ 8:10 PM.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

I find the spoilers slightly annoying. I hope the show doesn't become
Spoiler

Edited by lleykian54, Jul 9, 2012 @ 4:47 PM.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

I'm just glad that Stimmy and Fiona are still in the show. At the end of the first UK season, Steve and Fiona were going to leave the country with all the kids. Monica had just come back, and Carl wanted to stay with her, so they all stayed. Monica's lesbian girlfriend remained part of the family for a longer time in the UK version. Steve and Fiona left in the second season, and have never been seen again.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Are they currently filming? It could be interesting to incorporate the current teacher strike into the season with Fiona having to wrangle the kids and I'm sure Frank could come up with some type of scam. Maybe Lip could start his own alternative school for nerd who fear falling behind.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

I think it's going to be another summer into fall season on the US show. I think they're probably already done with exteriors for this season. I like winter better, but the weather is probably too unreliable. I don't think the teachers' strike will last. It would be kind of embarrassing for Rahm E if it does. Funnily, they've been talking about striking in Lake Forest too, Stimmy's home town.

The 10th season of the original show should start this Wednesday in the UK. The only Gallagher left is Frank. I recently re-watched the first episode. I forgot that Karen's father was played by Steve Pemberton from The League of Gentlemen and Psychoville. I was laughing every time I saw him.

sheetmoss

sheetmoss

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

I prefer winter as well, though snow/no snow/lots of snow continuity was amusing after Chicago's Snowmageddon during S1.

They were here around Labor Day filming exteriors, I suppose they'll be back in late Oct/early Nov again like last yr.

I wonder if we'll ever get to see a Gallagher Christmas?

Lazyking

Lazyking

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

I just marthoned the first two seasons on demand and wanted to add my thoughts while still fresh.

First of all, Lip is my favorite character. I like that he loves Karen even though she treated him like shit alot of season two..his love burns deep which as a male viewer, I like cause I feel the same way about those I love.. This carries over to his family as he is the only one who doesn't buy the bullshit that Frank or Monica are selling at the time.

Secondly, I get the feeling that Karen had PPD with the baby. Sure, she didn't want the baby all along and yes, she's a greedy bitch lol but I know she's not heartless, just struggles with her feelings and feels like the baby doesn't need her anyway.. Karen took the easy way out instead of confronting her feelings.

Finally, I would discuss the other characters another time.. but I needed to say that while I do love them all, Monica trying to kill herself rubbed me the wrong way. Not that she tried but that none of the kids especially Fiona stepped up and made sure their mother got help. Frank is a drunk that is so dumb he'll never change. I don't care if he's Monica's husband.. He should not have a say in weather she should take meds or not...

Monica is sick, she has bi-polar. That does not excuse her abandoning the kids but getting her help, your mother is more important then whatever you're doing or brushing it off like they seemed to be doing..

I know Shameless is a dark comedy drama but that's a little too ridiclous.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Secondly, I get the feeling that Karen had PPD with the baby. Sure, she didn't want the baby all along and yes, she's a greedy bitch lol but I know she's not heartless, just struggles with her feelings and feels like the baby doesn't need her anyway.. Karen took the easy way out instead of confronting her feelings.

I got the feeling that bailed on even trying to make Karen more then one note last season. I don't think the actress is oscar worthy but I thought the mimimal effort in the writing for Karen was glaring. I felt the character got the shift in order to make Mandy more of a priority last season which I hated because I didn't warm to her at all. She felt shoved in a lot of the time.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I felt the character got the shift in order to make Mandy more of a priority last season which I hated because I didn't warm to her at all.

I don't really see how this was the case considering Mandy was virtually absent for much of the season. Her character had a bit more presence than during the first season but it was not by much. Karen got a lot of screentime. It just so happened that most of the screentime and focus was on her being a heinous bitch. Hell the first half of the season was seemingly all Lip and Karen and his pathetic obsessing over her.

Doesn't PPD come after you've had a baby? Karen had the baby the episode before the finale. She was already a heinous, sociopathic witch for much of the season. Much as I am no fan of the character, I did see the obvious signs of some PPD when she refused to touch the baby or even look at him.

But I just don't think her entire horrid personality could be chalked up to that because once again, she was horrid through most of the season. And I never bought into the idea that the character was written OOC or sacrificed or any of that stuff. I thought even from S1, Karen showed obvious signs of her selfish, self-involved narcisstic, not to mention self-destructive tendencies. Personally, I for one would be fine if the show went the route of its UK counterpart and got rid of the character.

Not that she tried but that none of the kids especially Fiona stepped up and made sure their mother got help. Frank is a drunk that is so dumb he'll never change. I don't care if he's Monica's husband.. He should not have a say in weather she should take meds or not...

Monica is sick, she has bi-polar. That does not excuse her abandoning the kids but getting her help, your mother is more important then whatever you're doing or brushing it off like they seemed to be doing..

I don't think that's really fair. First off, most of those kids are just that, kids. Monica is an adult and it is up to her to be responsible and take her meds. They could demand she take it all they want but if she doesn't want to, she won't.

Yes, Fiona wasn't as alert as she should have been as Lip pointed out when he yelled at her for Monica and Frank stealing the squirrel fund but it's because that poor girl is barely 25 and having to take care of a household of kids and keep things afloat because she has two useless beings for parents.

And Lip himself was damn out of line when he yelled at her because he could have helped had he not been out jumping from couch to couch because Fiona wouldn't let him stupidly throw his life away on a girl who wasn't worth shit.

I disagree that the kids don't care or are just brushing Monica's illness away. First of all, half the time, they have no idea where she is because she takes off and abandons them and again, Fiona can spend time trying to find her and force her to take her meds or she can focus on those underage kids who need her more. Because again, unlike them, Monica is an adult who makes her own choices.

Also, I always thought Monica's return highlighted how young all those kids are, including Fiona. I don't think they were brushing Monica's illness aside or didn't care. I think they wanted to believe this time would be better, that things were going to be okay because they're kids and as shitty as Frank and Monica are, they're still their parents. And sometimes, no matter how shitty the parent, as a child, you always want to believe they'll change for the better.

eta: Well since no one has posted since my last post, going to edit to add this. Previews and promos for the new season have started and it looks good, though not sure how I'm feeling about the Jimmy/Fiona angst. Feels almost forced and just more of the finding ways to give them drama. There was blissfully no Karen in the promos but I'm not getting too excited. Here are a few links:

S3 Promo Teaser

Longer Promo

And I see not much has changed with Mickey. Oh Ian sweetie, you have to raise your standards.

Edited by lleykian54, Dec 11, 2012 @ 1:23 AM.

zombygirl

zombygirl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Mickey and Ian are kinda adorable in a way.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

From the preview, it looks like they're turning the Gallaghers into the Maguires from the UK series. IMO, Mickey and Ian were both more vulnerable characters in the UK series than in the US version. Mickey left the UK series in the 9th season with a baby that he had just delivered from someone when he was trying to collect a debt. It's interesting to me to watch how the US show develops.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

Mickey and Ian are kinda adorable in a way.

Oh I think they're hilarious, particularly because of how Noel Fisher portrays the character but seriously, Ian must realize there isn't much going on there with Mickey. It is especially amusing how he keeps trying to have these moments with Mickey, like when he put his hand up on the glass when he visited him in Juvie or tried to put his hand around his shoulder after he and Mandy picked him up from Juvie.

sunalsosets21

sunalsosets21

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

Ugh, just saw a BTS featurette on the upcoming season and I see that
Spoiler

Edited by sunalsosets21, Jan 2, 2013 @ 6:41 PM.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

This pop up book Story of Shameless is kind of cute.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 11:10 PM

I have been watching the season two marathon, and while he is by far my favorite character, I really loved how sweet Jody was with the baby. Just darling. Him and Sheila together is just awesome, and I really want those two crazy kids to make it.

Finding Judas

Finding Judas

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

This pop up book Story of Shameless is kind of cute.

The pop up book has what could be considered a major spoiler for Ian/Mickey. I hope they're endgame and I hope we see more of the Milkoviches in general this year. They're like the Mirror Universe Gallaghers.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 3:27 PM

I hope Ian and Mickey (Pigpen) are not "endgame", and we see less of the rest of the Milkoviches this year, except for Mandy. Tonight, tonight, it starts again tonight!

Fiona struggles...; Frank wakes up...

Edited by brothertonbanks, Jan 13, 2013 @ 3:32 PM.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

Hmm, not sure how I feel about this episode. I'm not really looking forward to a long season of this Jimmy/Estefania stuff to create angst between him and Fiona
Spoiler
, not really looking forward to Lip using Mandy when he probably still wants his whore Karen (though a small bit of hope erupted in me when I didn't see even a glimpse of her in the season long preview), not looking forward to Steve's dad hanging around for the season (though I am looking forward to seeing Mickey deck him because I think that guy's gross) and I found myself not really interested in Frank's whole trek from Mexico, though I did enjoy how everyone but Debbie just casually went back to their meal when he showed up. I don't know, hopefully the season will pick up because the premiere didn't leave me too excited for the season.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 10:53 PM

Well, I loved the Battlebots scene. It felt like an 80s movie. Lip is such a great character.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

Yeah that was fun. Not loving Mandy/Lip and she really needs to put some damn pants on around the people's house but the scenes with her, Lip and Ian hanging out, are cute.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 1:38 AM

Estefania's father-ouch. Sucks to be whatshisname. That is a nice place where she lives-fantastic soundproofing, apparently.

Really growing tired of Lip's "rebellious" act; I know it's a result of his "upbringing" in the Gallagher household (Frank and Monica, not Fiona) but still, he needs to look beyond the Southside for himself and decide if he has what it takes to move the needle (again) for himself. For such a genius, he just can't seem to do the math.

Pervy as hell but I hope that Harry Hamlin's character will be a good influence for Ian. Good to see that he has him studying.

Can we have an episode with just V's breasts? DAMN!!!

Good luck to Fiona for her promo night. And I'm jumping ship from the rest of you; I want a real white knight to ride in and take her away. She deserves so much more that Steve can give her in his current circumstances and is willing to do even if he weren't so restrained.

Poor Debbie. Still worry about that girl. Liam is just too cute; like he and Steve watching cartoons and eating mac and cheese/sipping juice.

noregrets

noregrets

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 1:52 AM

Debbie has become my favorite Gallagher - the only not completely screwed up.

Was that Mario getting his brains blown all over the wall by Estefania's father?

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 2:17 AM

Was that Mario getting his brains blown all over the wall by Estefania's father?

I'm not sure but I don't think so. I think it might have been just some guy she was dating since she and Steve were clearly fine with living their own lives. Btw, Estefania and her dad were incredibly creepy at times, particularly that moment on the yacht that he spent stroking her leg (that was her right and not just some random girl he was hooking up with).

I don't really care that much about Fiona and Steve as a pairing and have no issues with her being with someone else. I just hate that this is what's being used to create issues between them because I don't find Estefania particularly interesting and don't particularly care for the storyline at all. I think they should have ended it in S2 and move on to something else. Frankly, I'm more interested in whatever drama it seems like Kev and Vee might have.

Pervy as hell but I hope that Harry Hamlin's character will be a good influence for Ian. Good to see that he has him studying.

Yes, he helped with some Math homework because I imagine he is quite smart to be as rich and successful in whatever business he's in. And if I believed this show would finally address Ian's possible Daddy complex in that he'd be attracted to an older guy being nice to him since the only older guy in his life has always been a dick to him, I'd be more receptive to the storyline but color me not very confident we're getting anything deeper than just plain sex.

So instead all I see is that while he might help with some Calculus homework, Steve's dad is still a perv old enough to be this kid's grandfather and is, no matter how willing he is, taking advantage of an underage boy. I find this pairing even more offensive than Ian's coupling with Kash and I hated that one with a passion too because Steve's dad is just so slimy to me. However full of shit Kash might have been, I think he did convince himself he was genuinely in love with Ian and what they had was something special.

Steve's dad is nice enough to Ian because why wouldn't he be. He gets a nice, young, teenage piece of ass for free while he keeps his life because he has already realized Ian's not going to expose him to Fiona or Steve. It's convenient and again, it'd be nice if this was leading to some deeper story for Ian but I think this is just sex and the writers thinking they're being shocking and like I've said repeatedly, I find it a little offensive. I'm tired of it being so okay to have Ian, the gay character, banging these old as hell guys when he's still a kid. And he's the ONLY one doing it.

They teased Lip and Estefania all last season, even ended the season with her asking him to join her on the couch and maybe we were supposed to assume something happened but it wasn't shown as fact. Instead we came back to the new season with him involved with Mandy. Fiona met that very nice older guy, who treated her well enough and nothing happened with them.

But let's have Ian, first at 15, now at 16 screwing guys old enough to be his grandfather at every turn. And Steve's dad's response about the threesome was just more of his grossness as was all his texts to Ian in the season finale. If I wanted to watch an age inappropriate gay relationship, I'd pull out my Queer as Folk dvd's.

Although I did laugh when he mentioned the threesome thing because I was imagining Mickey in that scenario and figured be far more interested in putting a bullet in the guy; so it was especially amusing to see the preview of Mickey decking him. They don't have to have Mickey and Ian as an endgame couple seeing as Mickey is clearly on a one-track to a lifetime in prison but I just need them to stop having Ian banging old ass men and more importantly, closeted, married with kids old ass men.

Edited by lleykian54, Jan 14, 2013 @ 2:23 AM.

hertolo

hertolo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

Agree on that assesment, though I can see the situation arising from the show. It is very in character for Ian. He's madly in love with Mickey (the bad boy image clearly, which is a very wrong direction, but very much natural...), so Ian doesn't want to fall in love with anoyne. In the meanwhile, that older guy pays him by giving gifts he couldn't afford and apparently also helping with homework he needs to fulfill his dream of an army career. So it's a win-win for Ian, he doesn't fall in love with anyone else while waiting for his prince opposite of charming to get out of jail* (again). He also knew these advantages of older guys when he started seeing him.

*he's in jail, right?

So while that may not be the most healthy relationship, it's in character and not really something you can lay at the feet of writers. Now if they do it again the next time, I will agree with you. We've seen enough of that. Though in honesty, I'm more interested in seeing his army career than gay relationships. Tv should be less about relationships anyways ;)

Generally speaking, the season looks well set up and the quality still stays high. Though I wonder how much more they can do to Frank without repeating storylines. And Fiona should have said no to the night, Tuesday and next week, how the hell should that work out? There really was no need to rush it. Lip seems as self-destructive as ever, and why didn't the campus security/police understand that the other guy who took off with the stolen good was his brother? If it really was a expensive laser... But I guess, it's a tv show, not everything needs to make sense...

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

You mean Marco? I wasn't sure about that either. Estefania left Marco at the end of last season because he hit her. And that wasn't Steve's old apartment they went to where they found the two of them. However, they showed Marco in the "previously" segment, so I'm thinking that was him. I guess it's a moot point now.

Ok, the two feet of raw sewage in that guy's basement? The most disgusting thing I've ever seen in my life. I get that it's almost a running gag how Fiona has to take these disgusting jobs but that was a bit much, even for her. And only Kevin and Vee could get away with that whole slave/master website show.

The entire plot with Frank trying to cross the Mexican border felt like something I'd already watched before, either in some movie or on some other show. And I'm not even talking about the Season 1 plot where they had to smuggled him across the Canadian border. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking of Harold and Kumar Go To Guantanamo? Also, the robot cage match? Also felt very derivative. Those two subplots left me with a serious case of Deja Vu.

Man, I wish they had found someone else to play Mandy. This girl is just so bland and uncompelling. And much as I love Sheila and Jody, I'm not sure where they can go with this "baby making them tired" thing.

I don't understand why Jimmy/Steve can't just tell Fiona what's going on with Estefania and her father. She already knows the backstory. Seems like an awfully contrived way to inject new grief into their relationship. Also, I'm not sure I understand what exactly Fiona is doing at the club - she has to pay $1000 to promote something? What does she have to do, put together some kind of promotion for something? Why does she have to pay $1000?

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

I thought the whole point of the episode was to show how everything goes along without Frank, a good season opener. To me, Mickey is a younger, violent version of Frank.

The Magna Carta was only 800 years ago, not 900, so I guess Lip's not that smart. Also, that neighborhood is on the west side, not the south side. I was wondering if that was supposed to be Marco on the telenovela that Liam was watching.

so it was especially amusing to see the preview of Mickey decking him.

After that, there was a preview of Harry Hamlin's character tending to Mickey's bloody behind. It looked like Mr. Milkovic might have done something.