Shameless (US)

• Please log in to reply

3879 replies to this topic

Angelfirenze

Angelfirenze

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

I think she's taken an interest in Carl because he's the one who's most like her. They're both psychopaths. Everybody else, including Frank, has more of conscience than her.

Thank you! I totally agree, it's the only thing that makes sense. She even made that little dig about him not being too bright, which makes him all the more desirous to please her because he wants to show her he's not the idiot she thinks he is. His being held back likely has more to do with his behavioral problems due to his mental and emotional state from his parents rather than any defect in his intelligence quotient, if you could call it a defect.

The fact that he allowed her to call him dumb basically shows just how adrift Carl has become and how much he truly wishes to please an authority figure. I'd like nothing better than for her to just be gone already because Jimmy, dishonest as he has been, actually has a conscience and loves him as much as he loves all the other Gallaghers, and so would make every effort to show Carl he's NOT what Grammy said, in a manner that's not destructive to not only the world, in general, but Carl, himself, which is incredibly important. Fiona's, unfortunately, always too busy and now so is Debbie. Lip is spiraling downward toward his own hellish drain, Ian's finding love with Mickey, Kev and V are involved in missing Ethel and mourning her having run away - the list just goes on and on.

No one has ever had time for him or made true time for him on a constant basis until now and it's the last person he truly needs to bond with or know because she'll be the catalyst that'll send him straight to juvie. Even Debbie's more grounded than she once was, but Carl's still got no one but the worst to cling to, like Lil' Hank and Grammy, who are more mirrors of who he'll be if no one continues to step up and step in for him past talking. He can't do it all himself and someone needs to realize that soon or he'll be permanently lost.

Ristow

Ristow

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

Just came across this fairly recent short interview with Jeremy Allen White, not much about the actual show (it was kind of interesting to hear they aren't allowed to have scripts on set) but there's some entertaining bits and a kind of cute story about him and Ethan Cutkosky (Carl).

Link

DawgiesMan

DawgiesMan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Here are the promo photos for episode 2.09 (two pages) for anyone interested. Important to note that there are not too many happy faces in these pictures..

Looks like the next few episodes are pretty Gallagher family heavy so thats cool to look forward to.

Edited by DawgiesMan, Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:47 AM.

Ristow

Ristow

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Looks like Steve is taking the whole coaching thing seriously, he's got his own jacket and hat and everything.

Of course we see Monica is back (no surprise given the title of the episode) and the kids don't seem all that thrilled. Other pictures that caught my interest...

Frank busting out the ukulele!

Fiona seems to be going through with getting her GED (that's what I assume that classroom scene is) but am I crazy or is the guy in the background of that pic the Peggy dude from those credit card commercials?

The Sheila and Jody thinking the house is haunted could be a fun little side story to help balance out some of the more heavy stuff that seems to be a part of the episode. The Carl playing football bit might take the same role as well.

Karen and Lip meeting with someone, prospective parents for their kid perhaps? Speaking of Lip, seems there's more of the drama with him and Fiona, hoping this is the episode it gets ironed out.

Looks like Mandy is back as well, which isn't a surprise if you've read the synopsis for the next episode.

shamelessdivine

shamelessdivine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Synopsis for 2.09 via TVGuide

Monica blows back into town and immediately hooks up with Frank for more shenanigans, but the kids are left wondering if she's finally here to stay, and Frank is eager to pick up the ashes of his late mother and reclaim the cash he believes she's hidden. Meanwhile, after Fiona kicks out Lip, he kicks around with stops at Karen's and Steve's. Later, Sheila and Jody think the house is haunted by Eddie's ghost

Ristow

Ristow

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 1:22 AM

For comparison purposes this was the previous synopsis released by Showtime, basically the same stuff with just some different wording from the TV Guide one...

"
Monica returns to party and plot scams with Frank, but the rest of the family suspects she hasn't returned to stay; Fiona reconsiders her decision to kick Lip out of the house; Grammy's death affects everyone differently, and leaves Frank determined to make sure he gets every last penny his mother left behind; Sheila and Jody think Eddie's ghost is haunting the house."

I totally love the idea of Lip crashing at Steve's (Jimmy's) place while he's kicked out, their interactions have always been something I've really enjoyed. I wonder how long that's going to be going on though. The previous synopsis says Fiona starts to reconsider it, so I'm hoping there's some resolution between the two of them by the end of the episode. Lip bouncing from place to place could be interesting for a episode or two, but beyond that I want him back with the family, especially with Monica back and all.

shamelessdivine

shamelessdivine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Yeah I posted the TVGuide synopsis because I liked it better.

I know that Lip is supposed to help Steve/Jimmy with something pretty "big" this season. Don't know what it is, but I'm really glad they're spending time together. I love them both as characters. So them bonding will be awesome, IMO. Seems like Lip will be needing some friends soon.

I am dreading Monica. We get to watch her ruin her family once again. *sigh*

jadesfire

jadesfire

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:51 AM

The thing that amuses me about the whole "trick him into signing a prenup" is that it seemed unnecessary.

Now I'm going off of what I recall from my Trusts & Estates course in Law School and am not specifically a divorce attorney, but I am pretty sure that since Illinois is not a community property state (unlike, for example, California) Jody is not automatically entitled to one half of their assets. Since her father died before she got married, the life insurance benefit actually came due before her marriage (despite the fact that it wasn't paid out until later) so it is her own separate property. Plus, since she is just a teenager without a job and Jody has a job it would be highly unlikely that a divorce court would ask her to pay him alimony.

So I believe the prenup drama could have been avoided. But it is totally understandable that as a high schooler she would not know the Illinois law and be afraid of losing her money.

Edited by jadesfire, Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:58 AM.

Ristow

Ristow

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

@shamelessdivine

Sounds interesting. Maybe something to do with his "wife" and the whole mess around that. I think some bonding will be good for them, I liked the little bit we had earlier this season of Lip and Kev, but I actually think Steve is an even better potential friend/role model type for Lip given that they're at least somewhat close to same level intellectually and that there's some real parallels between them as far as the lives they have, could have, and want.

It doesn't even seem like it's just Monica coming back and being awful again either, it sounds like she's going to be giving the family, and Fiona especially one of the worst things she possibly could... false hope. I hope they all don't put too much faith into her actually becoming a semi-decent parent, otherwise there's bound to be some big-time disappointment.

shamelessdivine

shamelessdivine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

2.11 SYNOPSIS via ShareTV

Monica tries to kill herself; Carl shoots a bald eagle; Karen goes into labor; Steve agrees to identity theft.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Oh.my.god.

Cejaye

Cejaye

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

In one of the synopsis's for an upcoming episode (10 I think?), it says Monica blows the squirrel fund. So I'm thinking that Frank doesn't end up finding Grammy's money, and after Monica blows the squirrel fund, one of the kids (that isn't Carl) finds it. That's the only way I can see things working out, as it's too late in the year for the kids to rebuild the squirrel fund to what it was, Monica sure as hell won't/can't replace it and Frank is selfish and useless as usual so won't do anything to help, even if he was the one to find his mom's money stash.

Edited by Cejaye, Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:08 PM.

DawgiesMan

DawgiesMan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

Oh.my.god.

Haha, I don't want to be spoiled but is this a "I am excited" reaction or "I wish they didn't go there" reaction?

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

Haha, I don't want to be spoiled but is this a "I am excited" reaction or "I wish they didn't go there" reaction?

I don't think I know yet haha. I'm not dreading it as much as I am other ones though.

Liveone

Liveone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

For the life of me I can't figure out one of the spoilers.

Steve agrees to identity theft? Meaning what? He gives his identity to someone else? Or he gets arrested again and cops to identity theft? But I think it would be worded differently if it were that, so I lean towards the former.

I was thinking he might give the guy he looks up to take Estefania off his hand, his "Steve" identity so that she can continue to be married to him and stay in the states, but he can be rid of her.

As for Monica, I picture her doing it after the kids realize she stole the squirrel fund and turn their backs on her, just because she's dramatic and selfish like that. I hope this means she gets locked up in an institution and out of her kids lives for good.

shamelessdivine

shamelessdivine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Maybe he pleads to identity theft under the name "Steve" and he gets off for it somehow, because at the end of the season he does want everyone to call him Jimmy. Not sure, but maybe this is the thing Lip helps him with.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I appreciate Showtime took Oscar night off, especially because HBO didn't and my DVR wouldn't have been able to handle that load.

CarolinaFiner

CarolinaFiner

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

I don't buy someone who looks like Amy Smart being truly named "Jasmine" at all.

Either she's a super DUPER grifter or even more f'd up than the Gallaghers in too many other ways to even try to count. After the "you can't move in here" meltdown I'm thinking she's just someone completely mentally unstable. That's my guess.

And if Grammy truly is dying of pancreatic cancer, she gave me my entertainment's worth ... which is saying something, because I still haven't gotten done giving my thanks to Butterface for dying so I could laugh ...

ETA: post-Brazil Steve is kind of extra not so hot anymore. Why? The thong on the boat was one thing, but then after Jasmine ran off into the street, they had that shot of Steve where WTF was he dressed in? Nylon shirt and pants? I didn't find him hot at all. I found him looking kind of Eastern European cheesy. Sorry. Just sorry because 1st season Shameless I thought Steve was smoking.

Edited by CarolinaFiner, Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:46 PM.

Angelfirenze

Angelfirenze

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 4:05 AM

Okay, I was trolling around YouTube just now and subscribed to the official Shameless account - or sub-account? - under Showtime and happened to find the clip of what I was talking about:

Dad is a Twin?

*shrugs* Just to give some, uh, credence to what I was alluding back to earlier...

DawgiesMan

DawgiesMan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

Here are the promo photos for Episode 2.10. Slightly spoilery I would guess for those who are trying to stay unspoiled as much as possible.

Ristow

Ristow

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

Hooray new promo pics, now let's see...

Way too much Monica/Frank for my liking but sounds like she'll at least be a big part of the episode.

Carl staring into the baby pen with that psycho look makes me kind of scared for Liam.

OMG it's Ian, he does exist!

Lip looks freaking pissed about something. Judging from all the cabinets being emptied and dishes everywhere, I'm guessing that's right after Monica takes the squirrel fund and Fiona is frantically searching for it thinking it was misplaced, and Lip probably instantly blames Frank because he's, well Frank, and/or Monica because she's, well Monica. Ugh, I can tell I'm really going to be hating Monica this episode.

shamelessdivine

shamelessdivine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

I always love the TV Guide synopsis much better. Here we go
Episode 2.10

With Monica around and pitching in, Fiona is able to devote more time to pursuing her GED and seek a promotion at the club; Steve learns Estefania is still in love with her ex-boyfriend, so he and Lip conspire to sneak her beau back into the country. Meanwhile, Ian is busy dodging a vengeful Terry Milkovich; and Lip ponders the possibility that he might be poppa to Mandy's impending arrival.

So, I guess Mandy really is preggers and that big thing Lip helps Steve with has to do with Estefania and her ex.

Ristow

Ristow

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

Sounds like Ian will be the presumed father of Mandy's baby, at least by her dad (Terry is her dad right?). Of course practically everyone else will know that's not the case, but I do wonder if this is also when everyone else finds out about Lip and Mandy, which at least right now is still kind of a secret.

I'm really thinking Lip might turn out to be the father of this baby, with Mandy becoming a regular next season this would be a way for them to keep her involved in the story on a weekly basis. I wonder if that means we'll find out Karen's baby isn't Lip's though. I can't see them having him "dodge the bullet" so to speak twice and not be the father of either, but I also don't think they'll have him with 2 babies both being born around the same time (although I guess that could present some interesting dynamics).

simonekendall

simonekendall

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Am I the only one having serious Gallagher withdrawals? Tomorrow night can't come fast enough!!

shamelessdivine

shamelessdivine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

The day is FINALLY here. I thought it would never get here. Can't wait to see what chaos ensues tonight ;)

simonekendall

simonekendall

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Yahoo!! In some ways I wish I got into this show later so that I could watch them all in a row, like I did with Six Feet Under. This waiting stuff is for the birds!!

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I seriously wish that Mickey had killed Frank and gotten away with it. He really is just a vile human being. Grammy may be a bad person but Frank is a special breed of evil. He stole an IV right of a dying woman's arm, just foul.

I wish someone had gone to see Grammy before she died. Funny hearing Debbie talk about family first and then for it to go down like that with Sheila killing the woman. And for all her faults at least Grammy was thinking of her family towards the end, with the death by bus idea and then sending the cash to her other sons.

Lip is so tragic. I don't think he would be opposed to Karen giving the baby up for adoption but the way she was talking about it was just disgusting.

Wish the UofC guy was there to get Lip's ass in check. I was happy that Fiona wouldn't let him quit school and still live at home.

Jody/Sheila are totally going to hook up. And I don't think I would mind, although, you know Karen is going to be in love with him the minute that happens.

Too little Kev/V.

Steve got his old clothes back and it was glorious. I loved the snarking by Estefania about Steve and Fiona fighting about stolen jeans. Then Frank mistaking him for a girl. I do like that he is going to coach Karl's league. Also, appreciated the mention about football not being played with their feet. It's something that my South American mother gripes about all the time.

Sad scenes between Mickey/Ian. Ian wants to be open with the relationship but Mickey doesn't think that is ever going to be their reality. I'm guessing he hit the cop so that he wouldn't be on the street either, to avoid whatever fallout a Frank confession would bring, or, so he wouldn't kill Ian's father.

Edited by MrsJeter, Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:14 PM.

Angelfirenze

Angelfirenze

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Wow. First of all, I enjoyed the entire episode, which was...new. Not a single complaint, writing-wise, things like that. It's official, they've fucking ruined Karen completely for me. What the fuck was that? Does she not have any morals anymore? They managed to take any and all growth she showed at the end of S1 and flush it down the toilet. Thanks, John Wells, thanks so much.

Regarding everything else, solid all around. Even Peg and Sheila managing to come to some sort of place of calm before her assisted suicide. Speaking of which, I was ASTONISHED to see Frank in her house when the episode opened up. But even that paled to everything involving Lip and Karen this week. Utter garbage. They actually made Jody into an interesting, decent person for me, this week, wow.

Edited by Angelfirenze, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

Liveone

Liveone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Good episode tonight, well, except for any and everything involving Frank. I just can't take his whiny bullshit when he's ignored, abused and generally neglected his own children their entire lives. I'm glad he's not getting any money. Though it would have been nice if the kids got some, but then I guess the premise of the show would be gone.

I don't understand what made Sheila backtrack and let Frank back in the house after she seemed to make progress on seeing him for the douche that he really is. But I really enjoy her relationship with Jody, they're quirky and oddly charming together. At this point I like Jody more than I like Karen.

Karen... I don't even have words for her any longer. There's flaky and young, dumb teenager and then there's Karen who seems to have absolutely nothing resembling an inner emotional core or depth of character. I just want her to go away or be paired with Frank, whichever is more painful for the two.

So seeing Lip lose his mind over this girl is particularly painful. She does not love him, she does not want him beyond a sexual conquest and she certainly has no interest in his future or lack thereof. To listen to him speak about Fiona the way he did to Kevin, doubting her ability to pass a test and then listen to how ungrateful and awful he was towards her, all over his Karen angst was so incredibly disappointing. He has so many people in his corner who believe in him and want the best for him and he just resents it and rejects it and is consumed by Karen and the tater tot she's baking and planning on selling to the highest bidder. It was painful listening to him scream at Fiona about not taking care of everyone, as if she ever asked him to do that. But on some level I get it, all that pressure of being the brilliant one and feeling like you have to do better, because of people's expectations. Still... hard to listen to and hard to watch him waste.

Fiona in the club rejecting every offer of employment and bettering her financial situation with excuse after excuse was equally as hard to hear. She has so little sense of worth and derives so much of her value from the role she's defined for herself and caretaker and having to be needed, that she won't do for herself or let anything come easy, because then who is she? I'm glad she's sticking to her guns where Steve is concerned, he can't really think he's going to come back married and she's just going to smile and welcome him back with open arms. But at least he keeps trying which is something not many people in her life seem to do, they just all give up on her like that awful administrator at the school and Lip and her own parents.

I'm tired of seeing Steve's wife attached to his hip. I don't understand why she has to be in every scene he's in, standing there basically doing nothing. Please go away and the quicker the better.

Also, what was cute last season with Debbie is not so cute this season. The replying to Fiona's texts and being openly hostile to Steve. I get it, she's a kid, it just gets annoying really quickly.

Glad the Grammy plot is over, however, not at all looking forward to Monica and her ridiculousness.

Love Kev and his want for a family. Too little V this week.

As for Ian/Mickey, I wish I had more to say, it's hard for me to understand Mickey's appeal to Ian when he's so gross and dirty and is maybe even a worse choice for him than Kash was.

I wish we could have seen or heard Linda bitchslapping both Frank and Mickey for stealing from the store. That's a lot of wasted potential.

Ashe F

Ashe F

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

I try not to fanwank this show too much because it takes some of the enjoyment out of it for me, but I really enjoyed JAW's performance this week. There's so much going on with Lip that I think could be written off as just a dumb kid rebelling and totally blowing his future that I think he was able to get his head around and add a little extra complexity to so that I don't completely hate him and I'm kind of on his side a little, understanding why things are hard for him but hoping he gets it together.

Everyone performed really well this week and it was all great except I'm sort of struggling a little with Karen.. But I do think it makes sense that some people try to do better for awhile and then realizing that it's really difficult and because she lacks the empathy, can't really do it.

I also am sort of curious about what's going through Mickey's head right now. Obviously he didn't want to hurt Frank and he has some issues about being uncomfortable with his sexuality, but still..