My First Soap: How I Got Hooked

• Please log in to reply

125 replies to this topic

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 11:56 PM

Another one whos mom got them hooked . .. and on NBC soaps. I remember the Doctors (Carolee, Steve and the East German Wife), Days of Our Lives (when Mickey met Maggie, and Julie pining over Doug and playing the hell out of her "The Look of Love" record), Another World (Rachel/Steve/Alice, rooting for RS' Rachel), and even Somerset (JoBeth Williams, Bibi Besch, the Grant family).

Jabua

Jabua

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 1:24 AM

Wow, I'm easily the spring chicken here.

My first was Passions. I was pulled in by so many things. But the stories I came in on were Kay selling her soul to Hecuba, Theresa struggling with whether to tell Ethan about his true paternity, Sheridan being in trouble with the French cartel and her resulting buried alive drama, and other such things. I remember starting to watch at the tail end of OriginalSimone Lena Cardwell, OriginalGwen Liza Huber, and OriginalHank Dalton James's runs and only started watching loyally when Chrystee Pharris-Larkins, Natalie Zea, and Ryan McPartlin were in the roles. After that, I stayed on for the rest of the show's run on NBC before it moved to DirecTV.

I loved a lot of the romances over the course of the show. Loved Luis/Sheridan, Miguel/Charity, OriginalChad/Whitney, OriginalEthan/Theresa, Sam/Grace, T.C./Eve, Julian/Eve, Noah/Fancy, Noah/Paloma, Fox/Kay, Reese/Jessica (wish they'd spent more time on that one), and Luis/Fancy. I remember feeling very bad for the characters who got neglected like Hank and John. JER couldn't find something for them to do? Sheesh. I occasionally took breaks from the show, because villains like Beth and Liz getting away with their evil deeds too long just pissed me off too much for me to watch them, but on the whole, I enjoyed the show. From 1999-2003, I thought it was a great show. From 2003-2005, I thought it was just a good show. And from 2005-2006, I thought it just okay. But from 2007 to the end of its run, it was clear that if Reilly was going to keep certain storylines going on practically forever, then it was time to pull the plug.

Watching Passions got me into DAYS, but only sporadically at first. My earliest memory was watching Stefano escape from a standoff with John after his part in J.T. nearly being killed came out, and then jetting out of town for what turned out to be six years. The next time I watched was a year later, when the Zack/J.T. baby switch had just ended, and the Gemini Twins storyline was getting started. Only watched occasionally there, too, but started watching loyally around the time Andrew Masset returned as Larry Welch and kidnapped Hope and Zack.

After that, I got into almost every romance, primary or secondary, long-lasting or attempted, potential or followed up. Shawn/Belle, Rex/Mimi, Brady/Chloe, Brandon/Sami, Nick/Chelsea, Jack/Jennifer, Roman/Kate, Bo/Hope, Brady/Nicole (though that one depended on my mood and on what she was doing at the time), Patrick/Billie, Max/Morgan, Philip/Morgan, Daniel/Chloe, Nathan/Melanie, Lucas/Sami, Lucas/Chloe, E.J./Nicole, Rafe/Sami, Abe/Lexie, Doug/Julie, Mickey/Maggie, Shawn/Caroline, Steve/Kayla, and, yes (please don't stone me!), John/Marlena. (I know that's a lot, but I'm very easy to please when it comes to romance.) And I remember wanting them to try out that Tek character with Eugenia Willens, if only so Abe and Lexie wouldn't be the only black couple on the show anymore. But alas. . . .

Watched (and sometimes suffered through) several great or bad storylines, but I agree with the poster who thought Cwikly and Brash's stories were the best. There's hardly a thing I hated about their writing. Meaning nothing at all. Sheffer started out strongly, but faded from any greatness near the end. Higley's done an okay job, but nothing special. And the less about JER's near-ruination of the show, the better.

Edited by Jabua, Dec 20, 2010 @ 1:24 AM.

NutmegsMom

NutmegsMom

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 3:01 AM

This is fun! :)

The first soap that I was aware of was "Dark Shadows". I was only 5/6 years old when it started, so my mom wouldn't let me watch, but I was aware of it from magazines and listening to my mom talk on the phone after it was over, to her friends. (Most people knew not to call between 4 and 4:30 pm every week day, because she wouldn't pick up when her soap was on, lol.) The only time I did spot something was one of the few times someone called; I went into the room, trying not to look at the screen, gave the message and turned around...and there he was! The head of Judah Zachary (in a glass box). I had nightmares for weeks! When I finally told my mom about the nightmares, she was like, "Now do you understand why I don't let you watch?" Wise woman, my mom! :)

As far as watching them, my first was "Another World." I started in 1973 or 74, I think, out of curiosity because I had heard there was a character with my name on it (Rachel). I fell in love with it, and really liked the relationship between Mac and Rachel, and enjoyed Rachel's mom a lot. Steve and Alice I liked too, although I liked the Alice I started with, more than the recast. (All I remember about the recast was that she simpered a lot, and had a whispery, baby-girl voice. Ugh.) My favorite character? Aunt Liz. She was a meddling, interfering busybody, and I usually hate those types, but for some reason, I loved her. She cracked me up; it was probably due to Irene Bailey's (was that the woman who played Aunt Liz...I think the character's last name was Matthews?) acting. Awesome lady!

Ryans Hope I watched as well, because of the Irish family being the focus (I thought that was rare at the time, most soap characters seemed kinda WASP-y to me), and the fact that it was set in New York, a real place. Loved it. Fav characters were the Ryan parents, Kate Mulgrew as Mary, and the Siobhan who had really beautiful red hair and freckles. I think she was Siobhan Number 2. Faith I could. not. stand. I think it was because she was too much of a goody-two-shoes, or else she meddled in other people's business. (To this day, I roll my eyes if I see Catherine Hickland--the last, I think, of the Faiths. I can't help myself!)

Days of Our Lives I've watched sporadically since the '70's. A favorite pairing from that show will always be Patch and Kayla (I still have their wedding on a VHS tape!). Bo and Hope left me utterly cold, and I could never fathom what was so "hot" about Peter Reckell. (Still can't; my preferred Bo was Robert Kelker Kelly, even if he was allegedly an asshole to women on the set.) Oh, and my least favorite character/pairing? Marlena....and John and Marlena. The only guy I could tolerate her with was Don Craig; too bad he vanished forever one night with the lamest soap vanishing ever...he disappeared while mailing a letter! Yes, really. (I always fantasized that he was really a spy or something, lol.) Oh, almost forgot. My favorite pairing on the show, before Patch & Kayla? Liz and Neil. Loved them!!!! I also remember when Roman Brady (commonly referred to by Days fans today as "Rotox") was Chris Kosichek (and was a total hunk, back in the day; poor guy has not aged well, I'm afraid).

The Edge of Night I found one day, followed for six weeks or months (forget exactly how long; just know that it was short) until it was cancelled. Arrrgh! Bums me out to this day. I liked the focus on crimes and mysteries. Very cool.

General Hospital I started watching in 1977; I tuned in just as Lesley Webber had been released from jail. (She had confessed to killing David Hamilton to protect her daughter, Laura, who had really done the deed but had blacked out about it, or something.) I can still remember Rick Webber (who had recently been recast with Chris Robinson, I think...was that his name?) yelling at Lesley, saying she lied, she lied, blah, blah, blah. What an asshat he was! Rigid, moralistic, with a real rod up his ass...the big triangle at the time, or a little later, was Rick/Lesley/Monica. Rick and Monica used to screw in skeavy motel rooms while the music, "Memories" (like the cobwebs in my mind....) played, ad nauseum. ACK. It was horrible, just horrible (although Monica looked pretty hot in those tight jeans she used to wear)! I definitely remember Scotty and Laura, and was really into them, right up until shortly after their marriage in the park. After they married, Scotty turned into a petulant, controlling ass. He didn't want Laura to work, even though it would help him get through law school (and it wasn't because of Luke...even before Laura met him, Scotty was just going on and on about how no wife of his would work, blah, blah, blah). The rape, however, was rape. I still remember clearly the look of terror on Laura's face as she was crumpled on the dance floor. Hmm...favorite characters? On this show, they've all been women. First, of course, was Laura. Next, Anna; Carly (Loved Sarah, but Tamara was my fav); and now Liz.

The Young & the Restless is my latest; started watching in 2008, when my hubby and I got Soapnet. (I hadn't really thought of watching CBS soaps; I was strictly an NBC and then an ABC girl.) Love Katherine (she's my fav character), Gloria, Chloe, Michael (though he needs to stop being Victor's bitch!) & Lauren, Adam (now that he's played by MM; hated him when he was played by CE), Sharon, and Jill (sometimes). I could probably come up with more characters that I enjoy, but this is a start, lol.

Thanks for reading, guys, and sorry for the lengthy post, but da-yum, I enjoyed this! Great memories!! :D

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 7:50 AM

What a great thread! I love reading about everyone's memories of their first soap. :)

Mine was AMC back in the '70s. My mom enrolled me in morning kindergarten; we got out at noon, she would walk from home to pick me up (our house was literally right across the street from the school), and as she fixed our lunch at home she would turn AMC on. I don't really remember SLs from then but I do remember thinking how glamorous and beautiful Erica was. Every now and then we would switch over to Y&R but AMC was it for us. My mom still speaks wistfully of her first soap: Ryan's Hope. And every time she sees Jack on Y&R she inevitably says "I liked him best on AMC."

Once the '80s arrived my sis got me hooked on Dallas (she liked it more than I did) and Dynasty (we both loved it) but strangely enough not Falcon Crest. I clearly remember contracting a nasty flu bug and staying home from school for a week and bam, Santa Barbara got me hooked but good! And this was pre-vcr for our family so I had to read updates on SB from mags until the local network moved SB from mornings to afternoons, when I would rush home from school to catch it. AW was on right after SB where I grew up so I started watching it too, I remember Rachel annoying me but I did like her relationship with Mac and LOVED her mother. I thought Iris was so misunderstood and just needed some love and attention.

Also started DOOL and OLTL in the late '80s and into the '90s. I gave up on DOOL after ED and her five characters left the show, gave up OLTL shortly after Robin Strasser left that one time (another fabulous diva who continued my love of fabulous soap women) and Marty left town with...I forget his name, the Irish or Scottish poet? My memory sucks.

The '80s also had me watching Y&R for the first time with a neighbor who watched me after school; I continued with Y&R into college and it's the only soap I've kept watching. I loved the characters of Jill and Liz Foster from the get go, loved the Abbotts and Mamie, wanted drunk shrew Katherine to be my aunt since she was so hilariously awful, and surprisingly enough (smirk) wanted EB off my tv screen back then too.

I needed background noise in the early '90s when I was in college so hello, GH. Stone and Robin's romance was epic to me, I cried when Stone died. And I actually liked Sonny at the very beginning when Brenda took him as her date to that fundraiser to make Jagger or somebody jealous. I stopped watching GH when Brenda and her mother went sailing over the cliff in their car. I cannot STAND mob movies and tv shows so I think I subconsciously knew that Sonny was about to take over the show and ended my association with it right there.

Sunset Beach also holds a special place in my heart. Thankfully I had a vcr by that time so I could record it during the day and watch it when I got home.

Oh and to this day mom occasionally asks me if EB is still on Y&R, she cannot stand him now. Like mother, like daughter! lol When I was younger she thought he was handsome, back then he actually acted AND he was not mumbling like he does now. We watched one episode together a couple years ago and her comments about EB and other actors were hilarious.

Wow, this was long. Sorry for the long post!

merleebird

merleebird

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 8:47 AM

Mine was the "Cruise of Deception" on Days of Our Lives. I stopped watching DOOL and switched to Y&R about 3-4 years ago though.

bpeck

bpeck

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 10:15 AM

I was introduced to soaps at an early age, like 5 or 6, with my Grandmother. She was a GH fan and you didn't interrupt her during her story, so I watched, not really understanding alot of it. I remember Steve, Audrey, Jessie, Phil, Lucille Weeks (she scared me because she was always so gruff), Tom Baldwin. I really got into the show as an avid viewer with the introduction of Laura Vining and then when Genie Francis took over the role, I was hooked and I stayed for 34 years, but took it off the dvr a year or so ago. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of plot point writing or seeing the same characters 5 days a week. These days, if something sounds interesting, I'll to go YT.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 2:51 PM

My first soap was OLTL. A friend got me hooked in the mid-'70s. I don't remember anything about the stories, but my mom (who didn't watch soaps atall) recognized Erika Slezak. OLTL led to GH; for a while I was watching the entire ABC lineup, but AMC was on too early to watch on a regular basis in the days before VCRs.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

Wow. Cool topic.

Let's see, my introduction to Soap Operas was by one of my teachers in first grade. Ms. R., is what we called her, always watched Young and the Restless. So, technically, I suppose that was my first soap, though I don't remember anything of what I saw back in '76.

But, my first soap, where I watched and knew the characters, was Edge of Night, with Draper kidnapped, Emily pretending she was preggers with his child, and I've got shit for brains, because I can't remember the name of the woman they tried to do plastic surgery on and Draper saved her.

At the same time, I was watching Ryan's Hope. Have NO CLUE what the storyline was.

Then came GH--yep, it was Luke and Laura dancing in the department store that was my entry to this soap.

Over the years, I think I've watched them all--Search for Tomorrow in its last season, AW, DOOL, Generations in just the beginning before it bored me to tears; Y&R (During Tracy's miscarriage through '88); ATWT, GL, AMC and OLTL. I think Passions is the only one I didn't watch. Oh! How could I forget: Santa Barbara, Capitol. And yeah, even watched B&B when it was the Ken and Barbie show and no one could worth shit, except for Daddy Forrester, who hailed from Y&R, and John Wayne's son, who played the original Storm.

I'm down to watching the craptastic clusterfuck and massacreation of GH because of two actors: Kimberly McCullough, who I watched grow up and still remember to this day, her first day on this show, and Jonathan Jackson as Lucky Spencer. I would love for Genie to come back, but want her to stay far, far, far, far away as long as Guza and his minions are running this show.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 4:10 PM

If this counts, my real first wasMary Hartman, Mary Hartman when I was in junior high. I discovered I liked the idea of a continuing story that really progressed every night, building on the events of the night before... plus it was on late at night and kind of 'forbidden fruit'; my little brother and I both liked it because the characters were so out-there. We used to make up our own MH, MH stories and record them on a cassette player... he voiced all the men and I voiced all the women. We were especially good at doing Charlie and Loretta Haggars.

For regular daytime soaps, one day in 1977 when I was 15 my mother was taken to the hospital very suddenly, and I was told that I needed to stay home alone while my father went to get my grandmother in the next state, and that I needed to watch All My Children for her and take notes as to what happened that day. In retrospect it was probably to give me something to do to take my mind off the chaos... what woman in her right mind would care much about Linc and Chuck and Donna when her own daughter was being whisked away in an ambulance? But I dutifully watched the show that day and wrote down every single thing that happened.

Fast forward a few weeks... my mother died, and I no longer had anyone waiting for me when I got home from school. I thought it would be nice to have a soap opera, some sort of consistency every day, so I started auditioning different shows in the afternoons. AMC was on too early so I couldn't watch my grandmother's show, and I remember seeing one show with a character named Raven that I didn't like. I eventually settled on OLTL... Viki and Joe had just had Kevin, and the baby had been kidnapped by Cathy Craig. I was hooked almost immediately... would they get their baby back?? (And hey... Joe was REALLY handsome; that was nice to look forward to every day!) I became completely addicted to the point of being ridiculous, and I was a regular viewer for 25 years.

What a great idea for a topic!

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 4:32 PM

I had it handed down to me by my Mom like many others. I remember when I was quite young when I was sick and had to stay home from school Mom would fuss over me in the morning, get me situated on the couch with soup or what not before she settled down with some laundry and tell me it was time for her story (which was Ryan's Hope) and then after that she'd carry on with the regular housework and then come in a bit later for another story which was One Life to Live.

They weren't cartoons so I didn't care at the time. But when I got a little older I did start paying attention. Tina, Cord, Max, Gabrielle, Viki and Clint, the various Buchanan men, the O'Neil family... those were the stories that got me hooked and I couldn't even watch them because I was in school I'd catch the last five minutes and make Mom tell me what happened.

I watched GH for a few years. I got hooked on the BJ's heart story, Kevin and Lucy, Sonny and Brenda (then Brenda and Jax) and all that but when Jason was turned into a hero for taking Michael away from AJ (and I was totally rooting for Carly/AJ in all that build-up) the show started to make me actively angry and I quit.

I came back to OLTL in 2000 because I had heard Todd/Blair were getting back together. They were always my go to couple... I'll love them forever but, man, Blair is light-years beyond him anymore.

Anyway, my Mom got me hooked inadvertently. We always had good conversations watching the show. She gave me a lot of good advice about love and relationships when we watched the show together... advice which went against what the characters tended to do. Good times...

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 4:35 PM

I used to watch the beginning and end just to hear the announcer say, in his hilariously overwrought way, "The Eeedge...of Night!"

(That sentence is terribly written, but you know what I'm trying to say.)

Edited by dubbel zout, Dec 20, 2010 @ 4:36 PM.

HaroldsBone

HaroldsBone

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 7:46 PM

My mom used to watch "The Edge of Night" and I recall exactly what you mean about the announcer, dubbel! They were so hilarious back then.

Like some of you, my gateway soap was "Dark Shadows". I must have been around 9 or 10 when I discovered it. It became my very favorite show, not just soap, and it remains my favorite of all the TV shows I've ever seen. My earliest recollection is that I was home from school, turned on the TV, changed the 3 channels manually with the knob changer, fought for a while with the rabbit ears, and happened upon a sight that shocked and fascinated me -- Barnabas Collins, mouth open, a look of lust on his face and fangs hangin' in the wind ready to chomp down on some sweet young thing's neck. Then the music went Dum DUM DUM and we broke for commercials.

That did it. I was as scared of the show as I was fascinated. I got both my sisters to watch and all my friends. In school one year we had to do a "rhythmic gymnastics" routine with balls and a record, so of course I brought in "Josette's theme" and we did our routine with that. I shamefully admit that I wanted to be Maggie Evans. I was heartbroken when it went off the air, and refused to face reality. I still recall sitting in front of the TV hoping against hope that everybody was wrong about the cancellation and DS would show up instead of "Password" at 4pm that day. I've (unfairly) held a grudge against "Password" ever since.

One of my sisters used to watch all the ABC soaps, so they would be on in the background while I was doing other things. The next soap to catch my fancy was AMC, in particular, Erica Kane. I was horrified by the way she would mouth off to her mother and get away with it. And of course once "Roger Collins" showed up as Langley, well, I had to see him. I enjoyed that show for many years, until recently.

Anyhow, those are the only two soaps I've ever watched and right now I'm still enjoying the DS DVDs while I've given up on AMC.

thalia ann

thalia ann

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

My mother thought soaps were silly, although in the late 80s she got interested in Falcon Crest, but through me she always knew Robert Scorpio and Bo Brady. I started watching soaps when I went to a school where we went home for lunch and Daddy, who was in school, was in charge of feeding me. He let me turn on the tv and the only thing on was SEARCH FOR TOMORROW. This was around 1969. The first "couple" I followed was Adam/Nicole on EDGE OF NIGHT. Someone here mentioned Dixie Carter as Brandy. I hated her b/c she came between Adam and Nicole, but I still remember that her father named her after Louis Brandeis. :-)

I quit watching soaps around 1995, but for 25 years they gave me a lot of enjoyment. I'd love to be able to watch old episodes.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 7:15 AM

I used to watch the beginning and end just to hear the announcer say, in his hilariously overwrought way, "The Eeedge...of Night!"

(That sentence is terribly written, but you know what I'm trying to say.)

Sure do. We never watched that show, but it must have come on right after something we did watch, because my brother had tons of fun with that line. "I'm falling over the eeeeeeeeeedge........ of night!"

samgracesmom

samgracesmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 8:31 AM

I'm one of those kids who broke their neck to get home in time to watch Dark shadows in its original run. It's a love that has endured over the years, and I still re-watch the DVDs quite frequently. I never seem to tire of seeing the exploits of Barnabas and Julia (my personal favorites), Quentin and company. Maybe I was a strange child, but I can't recall a single time that DS ever frightened me. To me they just had very unique problems. lol

My mother was a fan of the NBC soaps, Days of Our Lives, Another World, the Doctors. I can remember bits and pieces of many storylines. Battling marrieds Althea Davis and Nick Bellini on the Doctors. Not to mention Alec Baldwin as young bad boy Billy Aldrich. Sweet Carolee and the Powers family. My mom was a huge Doug and Julie fan at Days, and loved Robin Strasser's Rachel on Another World.

I can also remember tuning in, sporadically, to the early days of One Live to Live. I remember some of the Carla Gray passing as white story, and the first Vicki/Niki, Gillian Spencer, and the beginnings of her romance with Joe Riley.

My regular soaps in the 80s were Days of Our Lives and General Hospital. I loved OriginalRecipe Roman and Marlena, Shane and Kim, Steve and Kayla, Tony and Anna on Days, and Luke and Laura, Robert and Holly, Duke and Anna on GH. I became a huge, huge fan of Robert and Holly, and later, Duke and Anna. The latter was a bit funny, because I hated Anna with the heat of a thousand suns when she was running around with that rubber scar, guilting Robert about their brief past together. But FH's chemistry with Ian Buchanan's Duke was electrifying.

Edited by samgracesmom, Dec 21, 2010 @ 8:34 AM.

plurie

plurie

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 11:37 AM

My first soap was THE DOCTORS, which I watched in the afternoons when I came home from high school in the mid-70's (mainly because I wanted to go to med school).

DAYS came on right before this and I caught the ends of that and discovered Robert Clary (from HOGAN'S HEROES) playing Robert LeClair and I was hooked on that, too. I remember watching SEARCH FOR TOMORROW (until it was cancelled) because I liked the theme song, and, much later, ANOTHER WORLD 'cause my mother watched it and Adrienne from DAYS was on it. I saw every episode of GENERATIONS (cause Abe from DAYS was the star), and DARK SHADOWS in reruns on PBS (NJ Network, which for some reason I could pull in on Long Island) and later SciFi.

The only soap I watch now is DAYS.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 2:23 PM

The first soap I ever watched was "Another World" sometime in the mid-70s, my mom watched it. I got hooked on a gothic plot where someone hated Rachel and slashed a portrait of her, leading to endless speculation as to the culprit. My mom usually watched the CBS shows, so I eventually became familiar with "As The World Turns," "Search For Tomorrow," and "Guiding Light," which I grew to love. as I got older and went to college, I checked out and fell in love with "Ryan's Hope," "The Edge of Night," and "All My Children." The Greg/Jenny/Jesse/Angie years really drew me in, and I watched that one as often as I could. At some point I had checked out virtually every show that aired during the '80s, and would sometimes also watch "Capitol," "Y&R," and "B&B." I never could get into GH, DAYS, and only in the last few years have I gotten into OLTL. During the '80s, I used to read Soap Opera Digest all the time, and even read the story updates on shows I didn't watch just so I'd know what was going on, even if I didn't really know the characters all that well.

reckless

reckless

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 4:50 PM

My earliest soap memory is of my great-grandmother watching her "stories." She was always a NBC soap fan, but I thought soaps were silly. As a teen, though, a friend got me hooked on Dynasty in its third season and I watched that for most of its run. My uber-cool grandmother worked in the same office suite as Diahann Carroll's agent, so she would sneak me scripts from upcoming episodes and I became the Dynasty "spoiler queen" at school.

For daytime, I'm not sure what got me started on Days. Maybe something in a Soap Opera Digest, but the first episode I watched was the one where Bo kidnapped Hope from her wedding to Larry and Howie impersonated the bride. I watched sporadically that summer, but got absolutely hooked when Shane and Kimberly started. (I had a huge crush on Charles Shaughnessy and even remember when he first showed up as Hope's butler). Shane/Kim are still my favorite soap couple, and I have wasted way too much time watching old clips of them on YouTube.

katesus7

katesus7

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

I started watching soaps in the summers when I was in junior high, in the mid-80's. Pretty much stuck with NBC soaps. Days of Our Lives, I just remember all of the great couples - Kim/Shane and Jennifer/Frankie being my favorites. Also loved Santa Barbara, especially Julia and Mason. I remember the first time I was ever freaked out at a soap opera - when Mary (the nun) got killed by the huge Capwell sign on the roof of the building as Mason was trying to talk her down. I also remember the actress who later(?) played Nina on Y&R lying about Ted Capwell raping her. Pretty strong stuff for a pre-teen!

But my first and greatest love was Another World. I remember the first day I watched it - it was right after Kathleen's failed wedding to Cass, where he was kidnapped by Cecile. Kathleen seemed to be a strong woman, calmly going about finding him. Cecile was awesomely 'evil', especially when she drugged Cass and rolled around on the beach with him when Kathleen found him. And frankly, I just thought Cass was absolutely gorgeous and charming. Still do.

I started watching for good a few years later, during the glory of Anne Heche as Vicky with Ryan. And Jake and Paulina. And Jenna and Matt and Dean (Sorry! I was young!). What was funny, was even though Kathleen and Cass were my first absolute favorite couple, by that time I adored him with Frankie and was bitter when Kathleen came back from the dead. I'm a fickle fan.

Now, after finally giving up a few years ago on the dreadful AMC, which I started watching in 1996 (when one soap just wasn't enough), and Another World and the soap I switched to afterwards - As The World Turns - both being cancelled, I'm left with General Hospital. But it just isn't appointment television like it used to be. I can watch a show in 20 minutes, and I don't really think about it until I'm home in front of the TV. I remember back in the day not being able to wait to get home to see what the hell happened.

Love this thread, by the way!

Half awake

Half awake

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 3:25 AM

Liz and Neil. Loved them!!!!

NutmegsMom, I am with you. My babysitter made us kids watch her show and Days was it. Liz loved Neil and Neil loved Liz. However, he was married to Lana Saunders' Marie. Then at some point Liz met and married jealous Tony. Great stuff. I remember original Roman and Marlena too, but Liz and Neil seemed to be the main love story at that time. We even cut Barbie's hair off to look like Gloria Loring. LOL.

I will always think of Genie Francis' return in 1983 as the story that made me fall for GH in the 80s. She came back with a mysterious past, which later revealed an evil husband (gasp!), which introduced Stavros Cassadine to Port Charles. I actually rooted for John Martinuzzi because he played bad sooo well. The best.

Then I quit watching soaps for about a decade until I flipped on GH one day and was intrigued by Ned and Lois. They got married in Brooklyn and seemed so soapy and in love. Miss those days.

Kara6891

Kara6891

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 5:21 AM

I got hooked on Y&R and B&B because those were the shows my mom watched. She used to tape them and we'd spend all Saturday afternoon watching them. I'll never forget the pure heartache when the tail end of the Friday episodes didn't record. Good times good times.

My earliest memory of an actual storyline was when JT and Brittany left Billy out in the snowstorm after he had gotten himself drunk and passed out. I was watching way before that, but that particular story really stuck with me for some reason. I think I was about 13 or 14 at that point.

cleancatlady

cleancatlady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 7:38 AM

Mine was AW. I was in my early 20's on rotation and working afternoons, so I got up around 10:30 everyday, had a shower and then had breakfast in front of the TV. AW was on at 11:00 here and at first I was like "this show is so stupid" But it was as Cass was about to marry Kathleen but before he got to walk down the aisle he was kidnapped and put in a coffin on a plane. So I started to tune in to see if he was dead or not (little did I know of soap plots back then)... I think he was still in that coffin several "soap" days later, but it was many real life weeks later and I was still watching.
I became totally hooked and was a bit in love with Cass I think! I also loved the Donna/Michael storyline. Even watching Desperate Housewives with a friend one day I blurted out "that's Chad Rollo"...lol.
When I changed jobs I started taping it... and no matter what time I got home I would sit down each night for my AW fix.
I liked the way they often kept a sense of humor and didn't take themselves too seriously.
I remember one time when Cass was talking to some guy about staying at home and not working, the guy looks at Cass and says "what, you want me to stay home and watch soap operas all day?" and Cass replies "I hear some of them are actually quite good"
I was crushed when it finished and had to go on the search for a new show, I tried Days and YTR, but they didn't grab me, then I found Santa Barbara. Watched that until it finished.
That was many years ago now, but never found another one to watch everyday like those two.... ahhh the good ol' days.

Edited by cleancatlady, Dec 25, 2010 @ 10:33 AM.

juanita927

juanita927

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 2:39 PM

I am a proud third generation soap watcher -- my nana was all about the NBC soaps, while my mother was a CBS viewer. She was watching ATWT the day Kennedy was shot and remembers when Bob brought Lisa home for the first time. I remember watching The Doctors with Nana -- Elizabeth Hubbard was first and foremost Althea to me, long before she was Lucinda Walsh Dixon ;-) And we would eat lunch at home while Search for Tomorrow was on, featuring Jo, Stu and a very young Morgan Fairchild. When Flashdance hit the screen in the early '80s, I went to see it not for the music, but because Michael Nouri -- Steve of Steve and Liza from SFT -- was in it.

As for me, I became a devoted CBS soap watcher -- mostly tuning in to GL and ATWT, with occasional viewings of Y&R and the very dishy Capital. I did get caught up briefly in the GH madness of the early '80s, since that's what everyone in my dorm and sorority house would watch at 3 pm, but when I was home for holidays or could wrestle control of the TV, I would watch GL. These days, I'm just down to Y&R, with my beloved GL and ATWT gone but not forgotten. I know more about the histories of the residents of Oakdale than I do some members of my family.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 2:49 PM

It was my best friend's fault. It was summer and she and her brother were watching GH. My frist memory was Colton proposing to Felicia on an airplane. I remember in a blue shirt and jeans walking downthe length of the plane. I made fun of him and my friends. I have a memory of Liz Keifer dressed as a nun in a light house (no idea what was happening there), and at the end of each episode during that time they kept showing a faceless person in a jungle prison desperate to get out. My friends were convinced it was Frisco and were excited about it. They tried to give me the backstory and I just laughed even more.

I did see Colton and Felicia's wedding with the big Frisco reveal, and then I think we went back to school (or I stopped going to they're house). During Christmas break I became obsessed with the show. I was flipping around channels and was curious to see what stupidity was happening on that show they liked. I can't say what drew me in exactly, but what I remember was a big New Year's party on Spoon Island and Robert got poisoned and Katherine screamed because he died. I don't remember if it was that cliff hanger, or the episode later where we saw his body on a slab, but in that general time period, I can remember laying in bed literally praying that God find some way to save Robert Scorpio. He just couldn't die! I taught myself very quickly how to set a VCR to record GH, and I was absolutely elated to see Robert reveal himself in Sean's secret room.

PS Tristan Rogers was my first TV crush.

Catmama

Catmama

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 3:02 PM

My mom watched CBS - The Edge of Night, Secret Storm, As the World Turns and The Guiding Light - and I think I saw a few Bright Promise episodes and she also liked Love of Life.

I had a passing interest in them all - mostly Secret Storm as it aired after school at 4, but I really got into ABC soaps while bartending afternoons where all the guys who were on unemployment all wanted to watch Jenny on AMC (less so for Greg).

Later I got hooked on GH (and I can barely get myself to watch itthese days, during the Brendamas Holidays) and I now most enjoy OLTL - and Ryan's Hope, which I fondly remember my Mom watching in her recliner, snack table with her lunch in front of her (sandwich and a brown pot of tea just like Maeve's - that's on a shelf in my kitchen today). I have always remembered the song and feel nostalgic for my Mom whenever I hear it today.

I was also a fanatic for Knots Landing every Thurs. at 10 from the first one in Dec. of 79 to the last in May of '93. In fact I didn't really get into GH until Knots went off the air and I felt the loss of a favorite soap. My older brother used to tease me about Knots until I pointed out that L.A. Law was also a continuing story and that all continuing stories have Soaps to thank for that format and audience enjoyment.

Edited by Catmama, Dec 22, 2010 @ 3:02 PM.

Partygirl

Partygirl

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 4:12 PM

I was all of 11 when I started watching OLTL religiously. I was home a good six weeks because of surgery--it was late Winter/early Spring of '93 and Bo and Nora, and their blossoming relationship got me hook, line, and sinker. Oh, they were my first and greatest love, and nearly twenty years later, I still melt at some of Bo and Nora's scenes. But, back then, I really liked OLTL as a complete show. The Spring Fling and subsequent rape trial had me glued to my seat that spring and summer. I really enjoyed that story and the years of material it cultivated for so many characters. I loved the first Malone Era. He was such a strong storyteller. And even when Malone left and as the '90's progressed, I still loved that show. I loved Joey/Dorian and Viki's DID. I liked Andy and Antonio, and Max and Luna, and Blair and Dorian, even David Vickers. There's wasn't much I didn't like.

I raced home from school to watch my tapes. I DID NOT MISS ANYTHING! Even on my last day of seventh grade, June 2, 1995, I refused to hang out and sign year books. I had to get home and watch Bo and Nora get married. I ran 3/4 mile with nothing in my book bag except an unsigned yearbook and my report card, flew through the front door with just enought time to catch Bo and Nora stroll down the ailse to "Send me Some Lovin'." Ah, memories, and in hindsight makes me feel utterly pathetic.

I watched all through high school, but that came to an abrupt end in 1998 when Nora slept with Sam Rappaport to give Bo a baby. I quit cold turkey--I was so mad! It didn't make any sense to me; I HATE when characters are destroyed to push plot! I tuned in for a bit when it was discovered that Matthew was in fact Bo's son--a wrong finally righted by the creator of that beloved couple, Mr. Malone. Thank you for that, sir. And stopped watching again when it became clear that the story was headed nowhere.

I returned in 2007 when Asa died, and watched on and off for a bit, but when Matthew had his accident and Bo and Nora began that slow dance toward a reunion, I started tuning in more frequently, though I wasn't going to get my hopes up. Many regimes had tried to reunite Bo and Nora and all had failed. Needless to say, I'm back watching religiously, DVR-ing daily, and while this show is a former shell of itself when I first started watching, I find I still enjoy many of the characters that I loved back then--Viki, Dorian, Marty, and of course, Bo and Nora.

I never really got into any other shows. My friends all used to watch DAYS and they were gushing about Carrie/Austin/Sami, but it never really caught on with me. I tried GH for a bit after Bo and Nora imploded and found that I was quite fond of Ned/Alexis, but nothing filled the void.

Nmissi

Nmissi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 7:51 PM

I have vague memories of "Mary Hartman Mary Hartman," "Edge of Night" and "Texas" being watched with my grandmother in the very early 1970s. But I first got involved in a storyline with Cliff and Nina, and Greg and Jenny on AMC, which was my mom's soap. My grandmother watched DOOL, and eventually I got into that; the earliest storyline I recall is something about a nun (one of the hortons) who had a daughter (jessica?)... but I didn't really get into Dool until Jack and Jen. Watching Dool led into watching AW; that show has made me a lifelong fan of certain actors; I still perk up my ears to hear Stephen Schnetzer( or however you spell it) doing voiceover commercial work. And I will see anything Anne Heche does because her Vicki was brilliant, easily one of the best soap characters ever.

And one summer I got up early and nothing was on tv; that's how I tripped over Y&R and Nina's stolen baby storyline (is Ronan not the longest storyline ever played out or what?) I watched Santa Barbara from the first ep to the second-to-last; I've never seen the final episode. Originally that was bad timing (father in law was late picking me up) but now it's on purpose; so long as I don't see the ending, it's not really over and the characters are still alive out there somewhere. ;) In the 90s I picked up GH and OLTL (Had to watch something at 2 when my AW died.)... the funny thing is, now I 'read" my soaps more than I watch. I read the boards and see if anything important happened; if it did, I head to Youtube. I no longer watch stories, I watch scenes. And that is sad, in a way. Mamau handed soaps to Mom, they both handed them down to me... but I won't hand down any soaps to my kids or grandkids.

Tartlet

Tartlet

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 23, 2010 @ 12:35 AM

I was raised by my grandparents, so I grew up with All My Children . AMC was my grandmother's show and she started watching it right from the beginning. I had junior and senior kindergarden in the morning (ages 4 and 5), and was home after lunch for the rest of the day. I usually had to have an afternoon nap while AMC aired, but sometimes I was allowed to stay up and watch with my grandmother. As long as I was quiet.

I don't remember actual storylines from my youth and I know not all of these are from the same time, but the characters that stand out from my early AMC days were Mark Dalton, Ellen, Mona, Phoebe, Erica, Brooke, Linc, Kitty, Daisy and Bonkers the Cat. I remember Tom Cudahy and the Goal Post restaurant. And Daisy and the Serving Spoon (I think that's what it was called). And good lord was Billy Clyde Tuggle not the most disgusting soap character ever (his name was, however, awesome!). I more or less followed AMC up until my grandmother passed away a few years ago. Without her, I just didn't feel a connection to the show anymore. Well that, and it just go so ridiculously bad and I didn't recognize it anymore.

Once I was in school full days (mid to late 1970s), I eventually came across Ryan's Hope and Loving . Since we lived a block from the school, I came home every day for lunch. Ryan's Hope and Loving aired from 12:00 to 1:00pm. I would miss the start of one and the end of the other, but there was enough time to still get drawn into the romances of Rick and Ryan and the antics of Ava. I stuck with Ryan's Hope until the end (more or less), but jumped ship from Loving after a few years.

At some point, although I can't remember the timeline, or how it fits in with my soap viewing, I started watching Texas pretty faithfully. It was all about Mark and Ruby for me. If I recall correctly, I was late to the Texas party and only saw maybe the last few months before it was cancelled.

Next up was Guiding Light . My one true love. I started after catching a preview commercial for Mindy and Kurt's wedding. My god, it just looked so elaborate and magical that I had to see it. After seeing the Lewis family, in all its Lewis-ness, with a good dose of the Chamberlains and Bauers, I was hooked. I stayed with GL until Rusty Shayne left for Tulsa and Mindy slept with Roger. I wasn't gone long, and was drawn back with the Hart/Bridget/Julie/Dylan/Baby Peter storyline(s). Once Bridget and Dylan eventually left for Springfield, so did I. I did catch it from time to time thereafter, but it was never the same. However, I did watch it's final week of shows and was really quite saddened at its cancellation.

Over the years, there were other flings with Days of Our Lives during the Roman/Isabella days (I refuse to call him John). As well as varying moments with General Hospital for Robert / Holly, Paul Hornsby / Jenny Eckert, the first teenaged AJ (played by Gerald Hopkins) and Scott / Dominique.

I also caught most of Santa Barbara, including it's very first episode.

Now days though, I keep up somewhat with One Life to Live , but it tries my patience and there isn't much that keeps me interested.

As others have said, I really miss the days of running home from school to see what was going to happen next. There were no spoilers, the storylines were compelling, the Friday cliffhangers often excellently done and the characters all seemed connected to one another in familial or peripheral ways. Characters had jobs. Those jobs were also often full of intrigue or integral to the story.

Edited by Tartlet, Dec 23, 2010 @ 12:40 AM.

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2010 @ 10:15 AM

I started after catching a preview commercial for Mindy and Kurt's wedding.

God, I loved them! I kind of forgot about them until this mention. Also loved Mindy/Rusty, (didn't like any other Mindy's besides KT)and of course the whole Beth/Lujack thing going on at the time it was big. Later, I would have a love affair with Harley/Mallet.

As I previously posted, my first obsession was GL, but then Days came in and stayed for a very long time. Still have Kayla/Patch's wedding on VHS somewhere, and Jack/Jennifer's (big time hooked on them). I would schedule college classes around it, and would tape AW (Alicia Coppola's Lorna is one of my favorite characters ever, to this day. Also, Jake/Paulina was awesome. So many great friendships on that show.)

Started OLTL with the Spring Fling, then quit all soaps in 1998 and came back a few years ago (because I had ordered SoapNet back when they were airing AW old episodes - it happened to be AC's Lorna run). I saw promos for Tarty, and I decided that they couldn't possibly go there. Then they did. My eyes are still scarred.

My mom was working all the time, and she has never watched soaps or wanted anything to do with them (except primetime ones). I did however, get both of my brothers hooked for a while. They would probably deny it if I tried to bring it up.

Edited by tvgoddess, Dec 23, 2010 @ 11:21 AM.

vayacon

vayacon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 23, 2010 @ 11:17 AM

I got into soaps kind of through my mother, who had watched DOOL before I was born and told me some of the hilarious backstories to the characters once I started watching. I also remember her and my sisters specifically sitting down to watch the Salem Strangler kill Marlena. (We were watching in Australia and were probably 2 or 3 years behind the US, but still had no idea that he'd killed Samantha by mistake.) I also remember being quite into little Australian soaps like The Restless Years and The Young Doctors. But it was staying home sick in primary school and being in charge of the TV for a whole day that made me discover them for myself and fall in love with them. The two storylines I really remember loving back then were both DOOL: Tony and Renee being in love but thinking they were half-brother and sister, and Jessica being a good-girl nurse by day and a slut at night (I don't think she did anything sluttish, but I was under the impression she was a rampant hooker, and am still convinced she was the inspiration for the cheesy 1980s schoolgirl/hooker movie ANGEL). Even now I find it quite bizarre that my primary-school self was so desperate for Tony and Renee to stop worrying about incest and just get it on... Many, many soap loves came later, but Tony asking Renee to come to an island on the other side of the world so they can have sex without getting in trouble is probably my soap "primal scene".

Edited by vayacon, Dec 23, 2010 @ 11:18 AM.