Hell on Wheels

• Please log in to reply

731 replies to this topic

Red Medicine

Red Medicine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 16, 2010 @ 10:27 PM

Quoted from http://blogs.amctv.c...l-on-wheels.php

AMC has announced a full series order for Hell on Wheels.
[…]
Hell on Wheels tells the epic story of post-Civil War America, focusing on a Confederate soldier (Anson Mount) who sets out to exact revenge on the Union soldiers who have killed his wife. His journey takes him west to Hell on Wheels, a dangerous, raucous, lawless melting pot of a town that travels with and services the construction of the first transcontinental railroad, an engineering feat unprecedented for its time. The series examines the railroad's institutionalized greed and corruption, the immigrant experience, and the plight of the newly emancipated African-Americans during reconstruction. Over time, Hell on Wheels chronicles this potent turning point in our nation's history, and how uncivilized the business of civilization can be.
[…]
Hell on Wheels stars Anson Mount (In Her Shoes, Law & Order) as Cullen Bohannon; musician/actor Common (Just Wright, Date Night) as Elam; Dominique McElligott (The Philanthropist) as Lily Bell; Colm Meaney (Get Him to the Greek) as Thomas "Doc" Durant; Ben Esler (The Pacific) as Sean McGinnes; Philip Burke (Law & Order, Mercy) as Mickey McGinnes and Eddie Spears (Into the West) as Joseph Black Moon.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 18, 2010 @ 11:13 PM.
Added quote tags

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

I hope it's not as slow paced as Rubicon or The Killing.

I'm not particularly interested in watching tumbleweed blow across the screen.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2011 @ 11:53 AM

As if my Sunday TV wasn't packed enough, this series premieres on Sunday November 6 on AMC, in the 10E/9C slot right after "The Walking Dead".

I like historical dramas, and Westerns, so I'm particularly looking forward to this show. I really like the post-Civil War time period and in particular the story of the Transcontinental Railroad. I've read "Nothing Like it in the World" by Stephen Ambrose and the story is amazing for its time.

Confidenchel

Confidenchel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 1:38 PM

I don't know why, but I hate the title for this show. I'm excited to watch the premiere because I've always been fascinated by the post-Civil War era and the expansion west, but there's something about "Hell on Wheels" that just screams like they're trying too hard to be a badass show.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 2:38 PM

It's a western. I'm in.

As if my Sunday TV wasn't packed enough, this series premieres on Sunday November 6 on AMC, in the 10E/9C slot right after "The Walking Dead".

I know! Sundays are trying to kill my DVR.

I don't know why, but I hate the title for this show.

I'm with you on that. It sounds like a direct-to-dvd movie with a WWE wrestler as the lead.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

Obviously the Walking Dead leadin will help, but I think the debut will be huge. It looks pretty decent. I hope Common isnt killed off in the pilot. I think if it portrays the life as super rough, dry and hard, it will come off well. The desperation should be mixed with a sense of accomplishment, mixed with uneasiness about what will the next day bring. Nobody should be comfortable or settled.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 12:21 AM

Whoa! Hell on Wheels forum! I'm kind of ashamed that I had to look up the "dinah won't you blow your horn" reference. I guess I'm not the only one that thinks this show will be big. I think if it is a good show, AMC could have a really solid 2-hour block on Sunday nights. The shows are similar in tone, featuring people trying to survive and thrive in touch situations, but the actual settings are worlds apart.

One of the early criticisms the Hell on Wheels directors (Joe and Tony Gayton) have faced and don't really have an answer for, is the lack of Chinese laborers in a story about the creation of the transcontinental railroad. Their response was basically "Uh...oops".

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

Cool that it's getting it's own forum.

I'm definably going to give a go tonight. Looking forward to having another Western on the TV screen, since it feels like it's been a while. And I like Common and I really love Colm Meaney. Obviously a big fan of his Miles O'Brian in the Star Trek franchise, but he's pretty great in everything I've seen him in. Only concern I have at the moment is Anson Mount as the lead, simply because the only think I ever seen him in was the short-lived WB series The Mountain, which was so laughably bad. But I'll give him a chance; after all Alana De La Garza was on that show as well, and redeemed herself in my eyes as Connie in Law & Order.

Strangely, I'm a little worried about it following The Walking Dead, because it's ratings are pretty big (although it has been dropping), and I'm worried that if this show doesn't have a good retention of it, AMC might get concerned. I hope AMC isn't expect it to automatically be huge like TWD.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

the only think I ever seen him in was the short-lived WB series The Mountain

You mean you've never seen Britney Spears' award-winng movie Crossroads?

Edited by AimingforYoko, Nov 6, 2011 @ 12:39 PM.

Altosax3001

Altosax3001

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 1:26 PM

Doom - The Chinese railroad workers, at least the overwhelming majority of them, would have been working west-to-east, right? This saga is set in a "mobile city" (the Hell on Wheels of the title) working east-to-west.

I haven't been on TWoP much in the past few years but this new oater may re-involve me. It'd be nice to get reacquainted with some of the cocksuckers from the Deadwood days.

Edited by Altosax3001, Nov 6, 2011 @ 1:28 PM.

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

I think it was months ago, but there was a little blurb on TWOP that said if you liked Deadwood, you'll love this. Since I loved Deadwood, I am really looking fcorward to this show.

I don't know why, but I hate the title for this show.

Me too. But I do hope the show catches on.

Edited by marleyfan, Nov 6, 2011 @ 2:33 PM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 3:09 PM

Doom - The Chinese railroad workers, at least the overwhelming majority of them, would have been working west-to-east, right? This saga is set in a "mobile city" (the Hell on Wheels of the title) working east-to-west.

From what I saw, Joe and Tony Gayton pretty much admitted they screwed up. If the answer is they chose to narrow everything to omit the Chinese laborers, then that itself is kind of problematic.

To their credit, they say in this interview (spoiler at the end) published today that they are focused on analyzing racism and gradations of freedom, and they appear genuinely interested in including Chinese laborers and expanding the story, if the show gets picked up for a longer period of time.

The Hollywood Reporter: What was it about the Reconstruction era that first appealed to you?
Tony Gayton: Itís like the D.W. Griffith movie The Birth of a Nation -- itís the birth of this country more as we know it now: the slaves were free, and itís like the war was supposedly over, but it really wasnít over. In a lot of ways it may still not be over. Itís that friction that still existed from after the war and the fact that, in trying to build this railroad -- as Durant (Colm Meaney) says in the opening in the first act -- thereís a healing population of East and West out of this conflict of North and South but not everybodyís ready for that healing yet.
Joe Gayton: We wanted to look at racism in this show and shine a light on it. Thatís why one of our characters is a freed slave.
Tony Gayton: Itís the whole idea of freedom and gradations of freedom. You have on paper theyíre free, but how free are they? How free is anyone because where this takes place is out in the middle of the Nebraska territory where thereís really no law.In a lot of ways, thereís unlimited freedom and what do you do with that?
Joe Gayton: Right. Very simply, we thought it was a great sort of new way into a Western. To do a Western which has all the iconic images and characters but itís coming at it from a different angle.

So I'll give them some credit, the benefit of the doubt, and hope the show gets enough traction that they expand it as they should.

Millie

Millie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 3:20 PM

the only think I ever seen him in was the short-lived WB series The Mountain

AKA Couch Baron's nightmare

I am really looking forward to this one and I hope (at least without having seen it) that AMC gives it a chance. Rubicon may have moved exceedingly slow but I liked it.

Altosax3001

Altosax3001

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 5:24 PM

Well...

Edited by Altosax3001, Aug 27, 2012 @ 8:32 AM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

It's early yet and I don't have all the characters straight, but it didn't go at a snail's pace. I'll definitely tune in for a few weeks to see how things shale out. Maybe it's just nostalgia for Deadwood. I'm gonna catch the repeat and try and sort out the characters.

Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 12:30 AM

Hated it! Kinda. I like Common. He's way hot to me in a way I can't figure out why but not sure if it's enough to get hooked.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 12:43 AM

I hated it, too. But I've never been a fan of westerns. It bored the crap out of me. And killing Ted Levine in the first episode won't bring me back.

Powrhug

Powrhug

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I ended up really loving this show...even though I too thought it was a little slow at start. But it's beautifully shot and I love all of the characters/actors. Lily Bell has got to be one of my favorite female characters to come along in a looong-assed time.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

It is a slower paced show (how many AMC shows aren't, honestly?) but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit too. I like the dynamic between Cullen and Elam as well as Cullen and Lily. And the Swede is pretty interesting too. I'm looking forward to S2 which will be starting August 12th, I believe. Anson Mount had tweeted that S2 will pick up about four months after the S1 finale.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I'm very curious to see how they get him back to the railroad so he can rejoin the other characters.

Powrhug

Powrhug

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Interesting! That actually seems like a typical AMC thing to do: starting after months instead of where it left off.

I'm thinking they want that lag so they don't have to show Cullen on the run and separate from the others.

SanDiego

SanDiego

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

This is a great show, and I'm so glad it's coming back for S2. I was afraid they would pull a Rubicon on us and kill off another show with a lot of potential. August 12 can't get here fast enough!

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I'm actually really looking forward to it. The first few episodes were a bit of a struggle to get through, but it was a case of patience paying off, IMO. I thought around episode five (the boxing episode, I think), it started picking up and it only got better. The last two episodes were especially great. And I really grew to enjoy watching the characters like Cullen, Ellam, Joseph, and Lily, who actually ended up being one of my favorite female characters on TV right now. And I liked a lot of the relationships like Cullen/Ellam, Cullen/Lily, Joseph/Ruth, and so on. And, of course, The Swede! I really hope he comes back because he was just awesome. And it would be curious to see how he deals with no longer having any power over the common folks. Also, curious about what will go on with Reverend Cole, now that he has officially gone of the deep end.

I do hope they give the Irish bros more to do; they were mainly just comic relief. And they do need to work on Doc. I usually love Colm Meaney, but it just felt like he was trying to be Al Swearengen, which was just a bad idea.

I also hope they bring back Chief Wes Studi. Because he can make anything better.

ShortTimer

ShortTimer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Promo for Season Two looks great! Some cable providers have Season One available On Demand right now, too. Really looking forward to the new season.

---------

Edit to add a link to another promo with cast interviews about Season Two and promising more character-driven than episodic stories.

Edited by ShortTimer, Jul 20, 2012 @ 6:01 PM.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Looking forward to this show coming back. And I love that Lilly is wearing pants.

lynnea6

lynnea6

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

I just watched this show on Netflix and got hooked pretty fast. I'm not into westerns but will give any quality show that isn't your average police/lawyer/doctor drama a shot. I liked the shades of grey we were given on the characters (heck, I even felt sorry for Durant at times). I'd love to see more about the Swede's background.

Looking forward to the new season.

Edited by lynnea6, Aug 3, 2012 @ 9:14 AM.

ShortTimer

ShortTimer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

AMC is showing an all-day marathon of Season 1 on Sunday before the premier that night.

Have to say, I was pretty thrilled to see the first episode of Season 2 pop up on my DVR schedule.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Less than a week to go!

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

I had no idea this show was returning this weekend until I saw an ad online today. Promotion of this seems to be lacking. I will give the premiere a try and decide whether or not to continue watching as the show didn't grab me last season. I love westerns so I will give it another go.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

AMC is showing an all-day marathon of Season 1 on Sunday before the premier that night.

I'm glad because I totally don't remember much of what went on last season or how they ended it. Even though I watched every episode.

I'm looking forward to the show's return. Do we know how many episodes they have this season?