Well There's Nothing to Say I'm Wrong: Theories You've Had That Never Saw the Light of Day

• Please log in to reply

106 replies to this topic

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2010 @ 8:06 AM

So you're watching a show, and its got some deep plot lines that are going someplace (you hope) and you have your own ideas of where its going and watch excitedly for proof that you are indeed, the Show Whisperer.

And then it gets canceled.

On the one hand, you never get to find out if your theory was correct...on the other hand, you never get hit with the crappy alternative the writers decided to go with, instead of consulting you. Still the burning knowledge is in your brain, threatening to burst forth in awkward conversation at parties several years after the show has been forgotten.

So what's your fan theory? Was Fox Mulder really just crazy and imagining the whole thing? Did Sophie bring her evil father back from the dead for more undercurrents of incest? Did Miss Winters ever spill the beans about Barnabus being a vampire after she came back from the past?

This isn't an "Ideas I've had for fanfiction" thread, but really ideas you had for where a show was going, or explanations for mysteries that never got answered.

For example, my theory about Firefly: The Tams paid to have a genetically engineered son to be a brilliant Doctor, but part of the deal was that they would have a second child who would belong to the government. This explains why Mr. Tam so easily brushed off River's questions about her future, was pushing for his son to be a doctor and why he didn't try to find his daughter.

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 8:39 PM

Well, I was anxious to see whether George Sr. and Lucille would reunite on Arrested Development, to name one plot line on that late, great show.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

On Pushing Daisies, I always thought that Ned's father was involved in some shady business and was being pursued by people who wanted him dead, so he was forced to abandon Ned.

Now I realize that that's just a plot line from Bones.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 23, 2010 @ 8:32 PM

One of my theories was from "The Cosby Show" - that the reason those Huxtable kids were so lame and stupid was that they were never able to get away with anything.

Think about it - no matter how trivial the offense, any time one of those kids did something remotely inappropriate, Cliff and Claire found out and exacted punishment. As such, the kids didn't know what to do with themselves once they grew up, so they kept coming back to the Huxtable house to live. They hooked up with spouses that were quite sensible (Elvin notwithstanding), except that they dated Huxtables, turning them into idiots-in-law.

Another theory comes courtesy of "Scooby Doo" - that whenever Freddie suggested the gang split up to search for clues, it really meant he wanted some 'menage' action with Daphne and Velma. Notice that they never encountered the ghost first. Other times, Freddie just wanted Daphne - that's when he would send Velma off with the stoner and the dog. Come to think of it, Freddie never wanted just Velma, did he?

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2010 @ 8:18 AM

For example, my theory about Firefly: The Tams paid to have a genetically engineered son to be a brilliant Doctor, but part of the deal was that they would have a second child who would belong to the government. This explains why Mr. Tam so easily brushed off River's questions about her future, was pushing for his son to be a doctor and why he didn't try to find his daughter.

Okay, keep in mind I only saw it on DVDs - so I don't know how a different order and no pilot affects this perception - but my theory is that River Tam had a thing for Jayne Cobb, and he was bound to become Simon's brother-in-law if the show would have go on long enough.

Edited by just watching2, Dec 26, 2010 @ 12:19 AM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

Another theory comes courtesy of "Scooby Doo" - that whenever Freddie suggested the gang split up to search for clues, it really meant he wanted some 'menage' action with Daphne and Velma. Notice that they never encountered the ghost first. Other times, Freddie just wanted Daphne - that's when he would send Velma off with the stoner and the dog. Come to think of it, Freddie never wanted just Velma, did he?

I don't think Daphne's absence would necessarily have been a dealbreaker for Fred, but I bet Velma was having none of that.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2010 @ 6:49 PM

I've always thought Daniel and Betty would eventually become an item in "Ugly Betty", even if they rushed things up a little bit in the end I'd say that's where they were heading anyway.

Edited by Badrobot92, Dec 27, 2010 @ 6:49 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 10:09 AM

I never watched Murder She Wrote to the end, so I don't know if they explored this, but I always suspected Angela Lansbury's character was a serial killer who cleverly shifted the blame on to some patsy of the week. From what I recall, the murder usually took place while her character was visiting, not before.

That's right, from what I remember, Freddie never paired up with Velma to go look for clues, but only Daphne. I always thought there was something going on there.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 12:21 PM

I never watched Murder She Wrote to the end, so I don't know if they explored this, but I always suspected Angela Lansbury's character was a serial killer who cleverly shifted the blame on to some patsy of the week. From what I recall, the murder usually took place while her character was visiting, not before.

I think that would've been awesome!

My theory about The OC is that Ryan would've hooked up with Marissa's little sister if the show would've lasted long enough.

Edited by Badrobot92, Dec 28, 2010 @ 12:34 PM.

not a robot

not a robot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

On Heroes, I was always convinced that The Company had some long-term plan for the world other than serial kidnapping and blowing up a major city (there were obvious hints that they were deliberately breeding people with powers). But then it exploded and was never mentioned again.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 4:25 PM

I never watched Murder She Wrote to the end, so I don't know if they explored this, but I always suspected Angela Lansbury's character was a serial killer who cleverly shifted the blame on to some patsy of the week.

That theory carried the day in my household; tiny little Cabot Cove had a murder rate to rival any big city's and within a day of Jessica arriving in any new location, someone was murdered. And with how quickly and completely people confessed when confronted with the most flimsy and circumstantial evidence, we also theorized she was using her book royalties to pay them to take the fall.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 5:55 PM

Supposedly, Angela herself was hoping for that very end for Jessica, but the producers didn't like that idea. I agree that it would work perfectly, as each episode can be considered one of her books, and therefore written to support her framing the many 'culprits' for the crimes she committed. I'm still holding out hope for one final Murder, She Wrote movie that reveals (to the audience, as the law enforcement in her world are completely inept) her as the true killer.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 7:18 AM

Angela Landsbury makes a surprisingly good villain. Just watch Manchurian Candidate if you don't believe me.

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 11:35 AM

On Heroes, I was always convinced that The Company had some long-term plan for the world other than serial kidnapping and blowing up a major city (there were obvious hints that they were deliberately breeding people with powers). But then it exploded and was never mentioned again.

On Heroes, I was hoping against hope that Nathan was Linderman's son and Peter was changed with Sylar when he was born, because of the whole "we're just cheap knock-offs of our fathers/variations of the last model" theme on season 1, then both Linderman & Nathan died and the Sylar-might-have-been-exchanged plot was dropped.

Edited by just watching2, Dec 29, 2010 @ 11:36 AM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

That would have been fascinating - especially if it meant Malcolm McDowell would have continued as Linderman, an intriguing character who, IMO, was killed off way too soon.

On Pushing Daisies, I thought that the initialed pocket watches owned by the two dads and Dwight Dixon would lead to some sort of treasure cache that might or might not have been stolen - that that was the initial reason Ned's dad returned, and there would have been moral questions and conflicts among all the main characters, with Chuck and Emerson in particular opposition over what to do about it, and Ned's Dad forced at some point to choose between the fortune and his son. And guess which one he'd have chosen....!

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

On Heroes, I was hoping against hope that Nathan was Linderman's son and Peter was changed with Sylar when he was born, because of the whole "we're just cheap knock-offs of our fathers/variations of the last model" theme on season 1, then both Linderman & Nathan died and the Sylar-might-have-been-exchanged plot was dropped.

That would have been fascinating - especially if it meant Malcolm McDowell would have continued as Linderman, an intriguing character who, IMO, was killed off way too soon.

I agree, a pet theory of mine is that Linderman was running his own genetic experiement and that's why he made sure Nikki & D.L. would produce Micah, I was sure we were going to see more of Linderman's "pet projects" and/or that Peter was one of them.

On Pushing Daisies, I thought that the initialed pocket watches owned by the two dads and Dwight Dixon would lead to some sort of treasure cache that might or might not have been stolen - that that was the initial reason Ned's dad returned, and there would have been moral questions and conflicts among all the main characters, with Chuck and Emerson in particular opposition over what to do about it, and Ned's Dad forced at some point to choose between the fortune and his son. And guess which one he'd have chosen....!

On Pushing Daisies, I always thought Ned's Dad had the same ability but we never got know more about that.

Edited by just watching2, Dec 29, 2010 @ 12:00 PM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 2:30 PM

A former roomie of mine always advocated that theory. Complete with saying "Why of course, dear, I killed them all. Every last one of them!" in little old lady voice.

Can you imagine what it must have been like to be a member of the Fletcher family and learn that Aunt Jessica was coming to visit for the holidays?

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 9:37 AM

Ok. I don't know if anyone else remembers Young Americans (a.k.a. the Dawson's Creek that never was), but I've always thought Jake's mom would've found a way to keep her in the all-male-school, even after Finn found out that Jake wasn't a guy (and therefore her boyfriend Hamilton wasn't gay after all).

Edited by just watching2, Dec 30, 2010 @ 12:10 PM.

ValleyPoster

ValleyPoster

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 2:50 PM

Everybody Loves Raymond - How to explain Marie's distain for her first born Robet and being overly affectionate towards her second son, Raymond. I suspect Marie was far from a good girl in High School. She ends up pregnant and the father does not want anything to do with her or her problem. She tricks Frank into takeing her out and gets him to do the "dirty deed" with her. She comes back to him telling him she is preganant and they then "have" to get married. Robert always reminds Marie of her "mistake" and she takes it out on him. Raymond was concieved in wedlock and so is her favored son.

Edited by ValleyPoster, Jan 2, 2011 @ 2:51 PM.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 10:41 PM

Dark Angel theory: Alec was going to be the one for Max ("Eyes Only" was too old for her).

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 7:22 AM

Badrobot92, from what I understand, Alec was going to be the male lead in season 3, which is partially why Micheal Weatherly pitched a fit. I had also heard that there was going to be something with him and Max after a woman he was involved with gets killed, but I don't think it was going to be a lasting thing.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2011 @ 11:34 AM

Everybody Loves Raymond - How to explain Marie's distain for her first born Robet and being overly affectionate towards her second son, Raymond. I suspect Marie was far from a good girl in High School. She ends up pregnant and the father does not want anything to do with her or her problem. She tricks Frank into takeing her out and gets him to do the "dirty deed" with her. She comes back to him telling him she is preganant and they then "have" to get married. Robert always reminds Marie of her "mistake" and she takes it out on him. Raymond was concieved in wedlock and so is her favored son.

Plausible, but I remember Marie being passive aggressive to both sons. I seem to remember one ep in which she's talking to each son (but not within earshot of one another) about their best qualities which made each son feel like they were inadequate to the other.

Edited by magicdog, Jan 5, 2011 @ 11:35 AM.

Simbas Uncle

Simbas Uncle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

Yeah, Marie was like that with her sons. I could also see why she favored Raymond over Robert. After all, who'd want a reminder that her husband once was the Franken-STEEN Monster in a previous life, LOL.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 12:05 PM

Dark Angel theory: Alec was going to be the one for Max ("Eyes Only" was too old for her).

Badrobot92, from what I understand, Alec was going to be the male lead in season 3, which is partially why Micheal Weatherly pitched a fit. I had also heard that there was going to be something with him and Max after a woman he was involved with gets killed, but I don't think it was going to be a lasting thing.

According to my pet theory: Eyes Only was going to bite the dust defending the mutants. That way, he would never know he was being replaced by Alec in Max's life.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 1:53 PM

According to my pet theory: Eyes Only was going to bite the dust defending the mutants. That way, he would never know he was being replaced by Alec in Max's life.

Again, this is what I heard on the grape vine while the show was crashing...

Logan was supposed to die at the end of Season 1, but Micheal Wetherly got all ornery and then let it slip to the press that he was banging Jessica Alba, and used the relationship to stay on the show. He then became an utter drama queen and would demand scenes that were actually Alec's, and when he learned that Jensen Ackles was going to be the male lead in season three, he pulled something (not sure what its been awhile) and long story shrt, show got canned.

Personally, I wasn't a fan of that ship (Alec/Max) because Alec didn't deserve to saddled with that ball of angst.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

Personally, I wasn't a fan of that ship (Alec/Max) because Alec didn't deserve to saddled with that ball of angst.

My personal theory is that was only a defect of his brother - Ben (X5-493) - and not a problem with the Alec series per se, I also think there was more of them, just like there was more of Max around, and that the bad guys were trying to recreate the Manticore program, which is why they weren't too keen on Freak Nation.

Then again, I only watched Dark Angel on DVDs but, like the thread title says, "there's nothing to say I'm wrong".

Edited by Badrobot92, Jan 6, 2011 @ 2:14 PM.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

Even though 7th Heaven lasted a grueling 11 seasons, we never found out if Ruthie was adopted (or my own theory, that she was the product of Annie having an affair with the proverbial milkman). They also never confirmed audience suspicions that the twins had severe developmental problems. Poor SamVid never got the speech and developmental therapies they so obviously needed.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 31, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

I have a theory that there was a lot Canadian Club Whisky being drank in the Sopranos writers’ room. My reasoning behind this is that both Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire were created by Sopranos writers (Matthew Weiner and Terence Winter respectively) and in both shows CC is featured prominently

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

My theory about Medium is that Allison remarried Det. Scanlon at one point before she died (and after her first husband died). I don't think there's anything to confirm that but nothing to deny it either.

Edited by pretoriantoo, Jan 31, 2011 @ 4:32 PM.

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 7:16 AM

Another theory about Firefly I had was that Blue Planet, the symbol which River twice attacks, was actually old earth, which the alliance had rediscovered or something, and was trying to keep a secret.