5-12: "The Big One" 2010.12.12 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

208 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 6:54 PM

Zap2it:

Dexter realizes he is being lured into a trap; Debra lets her personal feelings overwhelm her instincts; Quinn needs Dexter's help.

This thread's going to be busy, so remember to keep the discussion on topic. Speculation about future episodes/seasons should go in the spec thread, for example. Thanks.

Cuppiediva

Cuppiediva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

What a lackluster finale..everything tied up in nice neat ribbon, like Harrison's birthday presents. No cliffhanger. I was really hoping for something that would take my breath away, but didn't get it. ..sigh...

spicegurrl

spicegurrl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

I was hoping Quinn would finally die already! So disappointed... This was a boring finale.

AnalogHeart

AnalogHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

I started the season crying for Dexter and ended it crying for him. I'm a sap, what can I say? I knew she would go but it still hit me. I almost kept hoping she'd show up at the party but that's cheese and a half and not quite Dexter-style.

So, we never did find out Jordan's real story, eh? He was scary as all get out with weirdly pursed lips and flaring nostrils.

All in all, I liked this season. Much better without Rita, IMO.

Dizz

Dizz

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

That finale was pretty underwhelming. The scene with Deb finding/not seeing Dexter and Lumen was the point that put it over the top; just didn't make sense and not believable, even for the world of Dexter. Even Quinn's storyline getting tidied up so quickly was not believable (they took care of the blood, but the calls right before Liddy died surely must implicate him further right?). There is no anticipation for next season, it is just a bit disappointing. I guess they needed Clyde Phillips after all...

kathy999

kathy999

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

I'm so sad for Dexter! I really expected Lumen to be part of the family. I guess if I had to write it, this was the best solution for all concerned. I'm glad that, at least, Deb is happy. I was pretty surprised it ended the way it did, though. Everyone got off scott free - except the bad guys! Realistically (if I can use that word for a show), if Dexter got caught, there wouldn't be another year.

I did enjoy the season and I thought the finale was good.

Edited by kathy999, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:13 PM.

webfeet

webfeet

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

The episode wasn't bad, but it was a bit below my expectations.

I felt that Dex and Lumen breaking up was a very natural ending. I would have preferred if the relationship had remained endearingly platonic throughout, so I didn't dig the fact that they had to break up at all. I disliked that Dexter broke a plate: I tend to equate those kinds of actions with a threat of violence that was wholly inappropriate. I loved the 'carry your darkness with mine' dialogue and the fact that Lumen remained ultimately supportive of Dexter's life choices. And really, she could have stayed for breakfast and gone to the birthday party. Just because you're no longer on a killing spree doesn't mean you can't enjoy each others company.

I would also have liked it if Lumen had shown a bit more enthusiasm in killing Jordan Chase? That may sound sick, but he had masterminded her assault and was planning on killing her. It would have been nice to feel some real vengeance and dark glee on her part.

Also, I'm so bummed out that Deb didn't find out who the vigilantes were. Jennifer would have acted the hell out of that scene, and it would have fit the tone of the episode so nicely.

Edited by webfeet, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:11 PM.

Splinky

Splinky

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:11 PM

I have a feeling I will be in the minority for liking it, but I enjoyed it. I was very compelled in the middle of the show. That makes it worthwhile and enjoyable for me.

However, certain parts were predictable. Most of it was sloppy. Miami Metro kinda sucks. :)

This season entertained me and that's all I need from a show.

AnalogHeart

AnalogHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

Webfeet said

I disliked that Dexter broke a plate: I tend to equate those kinds of actions with a threat of violence that was wholly inappropriate.

See, I understood that as his heart shattering into a thousand pieces. He couldn't hold the sadness inside and so it was an outside representation of what he was feeling (FEELING!!) inside. I didn't see violence, I saw a fantasy Dex had of a "normal" relationship breaking apart in shards.

summerbummin

summerbummin

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

I liked it. After the heartbreak of last season's finale, and not being to sleep after Rita's murder, it was nice to have something so neatly packaged. My husband on the other hand said it was all too simple and left a lot of unanswered questions - mainly what was Jordan/Emily's story. Sad to see Lumen leave but not much more could have happened with that storyline. She could never be involved in the day to day activities of Dexter - or really the night activities. She would have known, unlike Rita, what Dex was up to when he stayed out all night.

Guywiththegun

Guywiththegun

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

I'm torn. I may grow to like this episode. There were flashes of Dexter's brilliance in it. But there were a few times I was really hating it. That boat scene with Lumen doing the "King of the world" impression and Dexter's glow was my lowpoint. I'm sorry, I just hate the idea of Dexter finding his one-and-only and them doing the mushy lovey-dovey stuff. It is offensively bad to me! I would even be a little embarrassed to see such mush coming from Bill Compton, let alone Dexter effing Morgan.

But then again, the way they flipped it to Dexter realizing who he is once again, was good. Good last shot. I wish Dexter would have learned this himself, but I'll take it. Weird message to take from this season. To be honest I'll need more time to process it. Add me to the list of people who never want to see Lumen again. Ever. Again.

I still say her arc (and the entire season) would have greatly benefited without the romantic element to it. HUGE mistake on the writers part. But I understand some people liked it too, so whatever. The important thing is she's gone (fingers crossed).

I'm hopeful for the future of the show, for now at least.

Huge cop-out with Deb not seeing the vigilantes. That was almost insulting. I'm tired of things wrapping up so nicely for Dexter. And that's even forgetting his survival of two EPIC car accidents within a year in the show's timeline, without a scratch. Come on.

I'm 50/50 here. I hated some of it, liked some of it, loved the last shot and the last line. I just wished we could have arrived there earlier so we could have enjoyed Dexter as himself more.

kathy999

kathy999

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

See, I understood that as his heart shattering into a thousand pieces. He couldn't hold the sadness inside and so it was an outside representation of what he was feeling (FEELING!!) inside. I didn't see violence, I saw a fantasy Dex had of a "normal" relationship breaking apart in shards.

ITA, Analog. I thought the same thing. It was a symbolic act.

Edited by kathy999, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:21 PM.

MagniFicent

MagniFicent

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

Didn't really care for the finale at all. I love the character of Lumen, and I've been hoping that Deb would find out about Dexter, so I was disappointed on both fronts.

The logic for Lumen leaving was non-existent. So, because she no longer needs to kill, and Dexter does, they can't be together? I'd think she'd want to help him with his darkness the same way he helped her. I suppose you could argue that she did, in a cheesy after-school special kind of way, but there's still no reason for her to leave (aside from the meta reason that all season guest stars must be written out of the show).

Hopefully she'll come back, the same way Lundy did. Preferably with a different result, though...

MemberofHarem

MemberofHarem

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

Debra gave Dexter this meaningful look when she said "I'm sure you must be glad that this is all over." It was almost imperceptible. Does anyone else think that she may know and is torn about whether she should let on?

I thought the throwing of the plate was mainly because he saw his reflection in it, and he couldn't stand seeing himself, because it made him angry that this is who he is, someone who has this darkness of which he can't seem to ever really let go, and it's that element of him that is keeping him from maintaining an honest and complete connection with another human being that will allow him to be fully known and seen. It frustrated him that he couldn't seem to run away from himself, from the image he sees in the reflection on the plate, and so he throws it in anger, trying to shatter that image. And of course, out of anger and pain and as a tangible representation of his heart shattering, and all that stuff.

1 Corinthians 13:12 - "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (King James Version)

Edited by MemberofHarem, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:28 PM.

AnalogHeart

AnalogHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:27 PM

I thought the throwing of the plate was mainly because he saw his reflection in it, and he couldn't stand seeing himself, because it made him angry that this is who he is, someone who has this darkness of which he can't seem to ever really let go, and it's that element of him that is keeping him from maintaining an honest and complete connection with another human being that will allow him to be fully known and seen. It frustrated him that he couldn't seem to run away from himself, from the image he sees in the reflection on the plate, and so he throws it in anger, trying to shatter that image. And of course, out of anger and pain and as a tangible representation of his heart shattering, and all that stuff.

MemberofHarem, yes, you're right. I forgot that he threw it right after he saw his face in it. I'll add it to my interpretation - I'd say it was probably 30 different things he was feeling (but he was FEELING something which is, I think, another part of it). Lumen allowed him to feel ....

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

I was very satisfied with this finale. From the outset I have liked the character of Lumen and was glad to see her make it out alive. Also it was good to see Deb let them go since it stays within how she was thinking/acting towards the case during the last few eps.

I still don't understand how MCH hasn't won an Emmy for his portrayal of this role. The facial expressions (or even lack therof) and mannerisms are incredible.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:31 PM

I am really sad to see Lumen go. I was one of the people who really liked the relationship; that being said the way it ended felt very real to me. Still prefer to her alive to dead....but would have liked to see more of her....oh well.

The highlight however was the scene with Dexter, Lumen and Deb. That was a beautiful scene.

Not sure how I feel about how they ended the whole Liddy thing. Kinda a cop out but hey what the hell. Quinn owes Dex a favor now and maybe he'll stop investigating him, or maybe not.

On to season 6..........

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:33 PM.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:35 PM

This show is so gappy. Dex is supposed to meet his family for breakfast, but his day doesn't end until it's pitch black outside. What was the point of all the relatives showing up at the apartment? Epic fail.

Dex steals a car that ends up on barrel girl island/closed camp Jordan and nothing is said about that car.

I dunno, I wish the writing was tighter.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

That was...that was, ugh! I only keep watching because I'm such a big Jennifer Carpenter fan. And, because, some day somehow Deb will find out. That's the reward that keeps me watching.

There were nice moments and really over the top soapy moments.

Lumen's whole goodbye scene...blech! Just when it started to be touching it dawned on me how totally unbelievable it was. I will say, the minute she stabbed Chase you could see she was done. That was it for her. No more killing. And, she seemed disappointed because you could tell there was more she wanted to tell Chase. At least if he'd been brought in by the cops, she might have had a better opportunity to let him know what she felt. Despite her smile on the Slice of Life, I think her revenge ended up feeling quite hollow for her. I know it was for me.

And, why was Dex taking off his wedding band. If Astor hadn't come up, I think he would have thrown it in the sand. Poor Rita. She deserved a better man than him.

It interested me that they showed Chase stopping the car going to the trunk and opening it to see a screaming gagged Lumen. Almost an exact replay of when Brian/Rudy went to check out a screaming gagged Deb in his car trunk. As a matter of fact, the whole Chase taking Lumen was a call back to Brain taking Deb. Both men were using someone Dexter cares about as bait to lure him. Only Brian wanted to bond with Dex. Chase not so much. I wonder why all those similarities...right down to the trunk scene. I mean, apart from the kidnapping and Dex caring for both Lumen and Deb, there's nothing else similar with the story-lines

I was so excited when Deb got to the cabin and it looked like she really was going to find them. She even saw Chase's body. I knew, though, that she wouldn't learn the whole truth. This show loves to torture me. Fuckin' show! I thought Jen was great in that scene, yet it was ruined for me because it was so out of character for her. They're trying to make her something she's not. There are no gray areas for Deb. There never has been and there never should be. It pisses me off that they are making her character wishy washy with the rules. This woman is a cop to her marrow. She believes in the law and now they are trying to make it to where she sees the gray areas and that 'it's complicated'. WTF!? It's not complicated. Life is not complicated. The only thing that's complicated about life are the jerks that try and make it complicated. I don't want them to ruin the best character on this show. The only character on this show that sees through all the Bullshit. They're only doing this to make it better for Dex when Deb finds out. It pisses me off so bad I can barely type. The bitches are gonna ruin my favorite character for the sake of an totally unrealistic character like Dexter. Grrrrrr!

Now Dex has something on Deb. He knows she's not the pure 'on the up & up' cop anymore. And, he has something on Quinn. The blood from the shoe. As always, things work out for Dex with a bow on top...and, hey, some BD cake, too. Grrrrrrrrr!

I'm sorry, but this was the worst finale this show has ever had. At least Lumen is gone. Praise be. Of course, the writers will probably bring her back once and a while to torture me. Grrrrrrr!

Edited by ttfr1, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:45 PM.

MemberofHarem

MemberofHarem

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

I think they have left it open for Lumen to come back (aka, if Julia Stiles wants to and if the show runners decide that it'll be good for the plot and Showtime decides that it'll be good for ratings). I think she will come back, and when she does, Dexter will try to stop killing for her sake, so that he can be with her. I think next season's arc will be about him trying to be more human, and possibly stop. I think that's how they will end the show, perhaps. He's finally able to stop and let go, because he has been able to get rid of his dark passenger, too. Or else, that's what I hope. :) I want Dexter to be happy, is that so bad? (And if MCH doesn't get an Emmy this year, there is no justice in the world. I love Breaking Bad and Bryan Cranston is truly awesome, but he's already won, twice!)

mariacomet

mariacomet

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

Mixed feelings. Not feeling horribly satisfied but not rolling my eyes. There were some major copouts but also a few wins.

Cop outs:
*Not revealing or explaining how Jordan Chase became Jordan Chase or how he manipulated people into doing things they might not have. They set the stage as if he was a mastermind manipulator and showed shades of it, but did not come close (IMO) to justifying the level of power it was suggested that he had all season. It was a lot of telling without showing.

*Deb and the whole 'pay not attention to the people behind the curtain' bit. They just happened to be in a place where she could see there were two of them and what they were doing but not who they were? I take it back - that DID make me roll my eyes.

*Laguerta. They seem to write her into whatever the scene or situation needs.

Wins:
*MCH's performance made me feel totally heartbroken for Dexter.
*While I hated how it was done, JC really sold her conflict on what was the right thing to do when she confronted Dexter and Lumen.
*Lumen's plotline. Sigh. I am one of those that really liked Dexter/Lumen. It was fun for me to watch them commit crimes together and I liked the connection. But...I have to admit that it felt 'real' the way they wrapped it up.

Edited by mariacomet, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:38 PM.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:38 PM

That was a downer! The one scene I really liked was when Deb discovered them and let them go - it was kinda over the top but also really exciting to watch.

As to the way Lumen left Dexter - I thought she would leave but I was hoping not that way - using him and then dumping him. Oh well, all the people who hated her character and all the people who want hard core serial killer Dex will be happy.

After how it ended with Lumen he will never let anybody that close to him again. We are back to status quo Dex. I had wanted there to be some emotional development to come from it. About the best thing about this whole Lumen story is that he did save her life and she is the first person who knew everything about him and she lived. Harry who shaped Dex couldn't handle it and he killed himself.

Oh, and I also liked that Quinn didn't go to the slammer.

And - which comes as no surprise - MCH gave a wonderful performance, who else could make me cry over the heartbreak of a cold-blooded serial murderer. He deserves an award for this season.

Edited by cyberducks, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:46 PM.

LIamsmom617

LIamsmom617

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:38 PM

Poor Dex, though I think most of us saw Lumen's departure coming a mile away. Count me as one who buys Deb leaving the scene; that didn't just come out of nowhere--the writers have been building up to this since at least mid-season.

Edited by LIamsmom617, Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:39 PM.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

After all of the build-up, this finale was a yawner. I can watch any sho on CBS if I want to see all of the loose ends tied up.

The best part of the show was the fact that Lumen is gone. The worst is that i really felt it was time for Deb to find out about her brother. The fact that she was so close to figuring out the truth of the vigilantes and then dropped it was piss-poor writing.

At this point, I'm ready for next season to be the last. I think tptb are hitting the bottom of their bag of tricks.

jen71

jen71

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:46 PM

MemberofHarem, I also wondered if Deb knew (or at least suspected) that Dex was involved in the Barrel Girls case.

I liked the episode overall...it was melancholy, in some ways, but was a nice wrap-up of the season. I do wonder where they'll go from here. Deb had pretty clearly become increasingly sympathetic to the vigilantes, and it seemed clear that they were leading up to Deb's discovery of Lumen and/or Dexter. I was surprised at how they handled the scene when she discovered them. It looked, at the time, like she let them go without figuring it out. Maybe she did, and managed to put it all together...or maybe she had her suspicions about Lumen already.

As much emotional growth as Dexter has shown over the course of the series, and I think especially this season, Deb has shown at least as much. Her conversation with Quinn was very well done. Initially, I thought it was just a general statement about the vigilantes. After hearing her line to Dex about being glad all this was over, though, it seemed like another indication that maybe she knew about Dex specifically, and understood his involvement.

I have enjoyed the Lumen storyline from the beginning, and I suspect that went a long way toward making the finale more interesting to me. It will likely be a very different show next season, and I'm interested in finding out where they go.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:56 PM

color me confused. Is the title, "Through a Glass, Darkly," or "The Big One?"

MemberofHarem

MemberofHarem

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:57 PM

The bitches are gonna ruin my favorite character for the sake of an totally unrealistic character like Dexter. Grrrrrr!

I don't know, ttfr1, call me crazy, but aren't we all Dexter to some degree? We all have some sort of darkness in us, even if it's just a smidge. That's what life is all about. The writers just extrapolate that darkness to the greatest possible extent. The character greatly magnifies what we have all felt at one point or another. A desire for justice or vengeance against those that have wronged us, the people we love, or just an innocent person with whom we empathize. A desire to find a way to satisfy our urges, to relieve our pain or trauma, even if just for one second. A desire for human connection, despite how much we might push people away.

BrilliantBrkfst

BrilliantBrkfst

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

Debra gave Dexter this meaningful look when she said "I'm sure you must be glad that this is all over." It was almost imperceptible. Does anyone else think that she may know and is torn about whether she should let on?

YES, YES, AND YES!! I'm 100% convinced that Deb knew who it was...or at least suspected. There was so much dancing around among Deb, Quinn, and Dexter in those penultimate scenes...the theme was definitely "things we know but don't want to know."

I'm all verklempt after that, how about all of you? Dexter is such a tragic figure, so trapped in his own dark self no thanks to Harry, who keeps reappearing, lest Dexter find out that there are therapists in the world.

It wasn't made clear why just because Lumen didn't want to kill anymore, she couldn't stay around...except that it WOULD be kind of weird.

One thing that bothers me is how Miami Metro "solves" cases. How are the barrel girls' murders "solved" and closed when Boyd and Cole are missing, Alex, Jordan, and Dan the Dentist are dead and there are no perps? Aren't they missing something? Doesn't anyone but me (and Battista) care about these damn murders?

Lame-o ending with the party and the nice wrap-up for the happy couples...and poor Dexter sitting there ready to burst into tears. This man is NOT a monster other than the one his adoptive father made. But he's so invested in the dark passenger that to let him go pulls out the rug from under his entire being.

Astor seems to have a kind of spidey-sense about Dexter. I wonder if they're going to work with that next season. Meanwhile, this episode leaves me just feeling so utterly sad for this character. Kudos for MCH, who really brought it these last few episodes.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

if Dexter got caught, there wouldn't be another year

And, it's time for that to happen. I do love this show but I'm tired of the same old thing. Dexter didn't evolve one iota. He got to do what he loves best with someone that didn't judge him on it. But, really, she wasn't okay with it either, or she wouldn't have left. So, in the end, even Lumen is repulsed by what Dexter is. A monster. A twisted sick man. It was fine and dandy when they were killing her rapists but when it came to actually living with a serial killer for the rest of her life, she couldn't do it. That pretty much says it all. And, he's back at square one and what did he learn? Nothing really. What was the point of Lumen, again? Oh, yeah, he's saving Rita through her.

The show has nothing else to say so I'm hoping for a wonderful 6th season where he finally just gives over to his dark passenger and kills loads of baddies and then Deb finds out EVERYTHING. Every lie. Every manipulation. I hope she finds out about what happened while she was unconcious and he and Rudy/Brian contemplated killing her. Finds out about him killing Liddy. About him stealing Lundy's files. About why Daddy seemed to love him more than her. About him letting Trinity live so he could study him and thereby helping to cause Rita's death. So many things. So much deception. I want her to know and confront him with it. I want him to pay. And, I hope it's next season and that it's the LAST.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 11:12 PM

I think they have left it open for Lumen to come back (aka, if Julia Stiles wants to and if the show runners decide that it'll be good for the plot and Showtime decides that it'll be good for ratings). I think she will come back, and when she does, Dexter will try to stop killing for her sake, so that he can be with her. I think next season's arc will be about him trying to be more human, and possibly stop

I don't know. It seemed pretty final to me. Her final scene invalidated the whole season for me. I don't actually want her back.