Damon and Alaric: Team Badass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

91 replies to this topic

White Lies

White Lies

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 11:26 AM

So, I've realized we do not have a thread for the awesome Team Badass. I think the Damon and Alaric bromance deserves some love and a little gushing. I loved them in the latest episode. We finally got them teaming up again, and Alaric was even protective of Damon. They're just too awesome.

I hope the title is okay, I know it's not the cleanest title, but it is what they are.

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

They were pathetic in the last episode. Alaric more so because he has been reduced to a vampire groupie. A glorified side-kick if you will.

Eavesdropping on people in town to report back to the town's judge and jury Damon who then decide if they belong or not? Heh.

efh

efh

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

I wouldn't call them pathetic in the last episode, though I wouldn't have called it badass either. Alaric overheard a conversation between Caroline and Tyler and Caroline gave him the "HELP!" googly eyes, which was a pretty clear request that he call Damon. If he does consider Damon a friend, then it makes sense to me to call him and let him know that a potentially big problem is headed his way. And I think it makes sense for Alaric to side with Damon who is at least a known entity that several people in town, including himself, have some degree of influence over rather than with an unknown potential werewolf. The devil you know and all that.

The two of them have potential to be a good team, but they still need a little more work at it so as not to be *quite* so obvious. I mean, any decent bartender, or reasonably observant good Samaritan would never have let that drink get to Jules after Alaric plainly and openly put something suspicious in it. And it's a small enough town and Alaric is well-enough known, that his acting all drunk in the bar would definitely have drawn people's attention.

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:57 PM

And it's a small enough town and Alaric is well-enough known, that his acting all drunk in the bar would definitely have drawn people's attention.

He is also a teacher.

He is stuck harder on stupid if he thinks that Damon cares a wit about Caroline's well being. I didn't see him running to her rescue when he clued him in.

White Lies

White Lies

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2010 @ 12:03 AM

He is stuck harder on stupid if he thinks that Damon cares a wit about Caroline's well being. I didn't see him running to her rescue when he clued him in.

I don't exactly know what Caroline has to do with Alaric and Damon's friendship. What exactly was Damon supposed to do at that point? Jules had just told him that she was coming after him. Caroline was not even on her radar; she was in no danger from Jules. The only way Caroline was in danger in the episode was when she was with Tyler, which she volunteered to do, and really wanted to do.

nanillac

nanillac

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2010 @ 8:10 AM

I love these two together. I thought they were super-lame this episode, but lame in an adorable, fumbling detective-y sort of way. Alaric's about as good at acting drunk as Damon is at acting innocent, ie. not very.

I do think the reveal that Jules knew exactly what they were doing took a bit longer than it needed to - meaning we had to watch them embarrassingly flounder for a few too many scenes, but I feel like the scene was supposed to be an obvious fail for Team Badass, to underscore Jules' own lower-case badassness.

It does suck that Alaric's been so underused so far this season, but I understand that it was at the request of the actor who took time off due to a personal matter. I expect he'll be much more present in the second half of the season.

I adore that Alaric trusts Damon when it comes to serious matters, and just sort of rolls his eyes at everything else. In 2-03 he wouldn't let Damon off the hook for killing Jeremy, but neither did he make a massive drama out of it which, considering how their own friendship began, is not all that surprising. I also loved how later in the same episode when Damon was being over-flirty with Elena Alaric just had this mildly amused expression like he was thinking, "man... Damon is pathetic!"

I also love how Damon trusts Alaric too, and (as much as he is able) treats him as an equal. 'Damon as reluctant boss-man' is one of my favourite elements of the show and while he never loses his snarkiness, he does take seriously anything Alaric brings to him. He respects him.

Alaric's pretty savvy when it comes to power - he may not particularly like Damon but I think they have the same instincts about people and Alaric therefore knows where his alliances should lie. He's always been portrayed as pretty autonomous and his decisions seem based in common sense. His working with Damon then, for me, is evidence that they've both drawn the same conclusions -- and are working together towards a common goal.

I feel like the inference that he's some sort of vampire lapdog undermines his strength as a character, and as we've seen in 1-17 when he clocked Damon and 2-11 when he talked him out of pursuing Jules, he's not afraid to stand up to him when they disagree.

In conclusion: I love my uneasy bromance and am looking forward to more of it in the new year!

KatVamp

KatVamp

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2010 @ 10:23 AM

I also love how Damon trusts Alaric too, and (as much as he is able) treats him as an equal. 'Damon as reluctant boss-man' is one of my favourite elements of the show and while he never loses his snarkiness, he does take seriously anything Alaric brings to him. He respects him.

I liked Damon leaving Jeremy to babysit Elena when Alaric called. The interactions with Jules felt off, but I agree that was the point. I'm looking forward to more of Damon and Alaric working together like they did at the end of Season One.

Nice to see Alaric back in action. I hope the writers donít screw up Damon and Alaricís friendship. Itís one of the few reasons Iím still watching.

Edited by KatVamp, Feb 18, 2011 @ 8:55 AM.

FestinaLente

FestinaLente

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 8:12 PM

Did anyone else go 'nooo, Alaric, don't jinx it! Don't tell Damon you're his friend!' after that scene in The Dinner Party? Seriously, Damon totally believes that caring gets you killed and friendship gets you dead (as per the conversation with Rose in Katerina) so every time someone proclaims to be Damon's friend I start fearing for their life.

...which, it seemed to me, is something Damon himself is fully aware of, hence his slight nod of acknowledgement but no other reaction to Alaric. I was actually surprised that Damon did not point out the many many reasons why Alaric should not be his friend, Alaric's self-preservation being the most prominent one.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 8:36 PM

Did anyone else go 'nooo, Alaric, don't jinx it! Don't tell Damon you're his friend!' after that scene in The Dinner Party?...

To be completely honest, I think it was about time. In my opinion, it took them so long to put a label on it that it was starting to get weird, even for bad-ass like them.

I think Rick is no different than Sheriff Forbes in Damon's life now, well, except for the fact he actually knows his best friend its a vampire.

rue721

rue721

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 8:46 PM

Did anyone else go 'nooo, Alaric, don't jinx it! Don't tell Damon you're his friend!'

Cynical me, I was like: Alaric, why are you so desperate for Damon to "trust" you all of a sudden? Immediately I thought he was trying to manipulate Damon into revealing more info. Which made me wonder what game Alaric had going, even to the point of whether he was being compelled by Klaus.

Klaus obviously has a mole, since a paranoid person like Klaus wouldn't let his minions wonder the globe without some way to keep an eye on them. Klaus would have had a great motive for killing Elijah, seeing as it puts the dagger-o-ash out of the running as a Klaus-killing weapon, and because Elijah was trying to find a way to kill Klaus. So using the weapon to kill Elijah puts Alaric on the short-list of possible Klaus-moles anyway.

And we know Katherine is working for Klaus as far as trying to get everything ready for the sacrifice so she can lure him out in order to either appease him or kill him--and Katherine has been pulling nearly the exact same "We're friends! Trust me! Tell me everything for all of our safety!" line as Alaric did right then. That echo makes me suspicious, and moves Alaric even further up the mole short-list, imo.

I dunno, someone coming right out and being like: tell me everything! I'm your friend! won't you tell me all your plans! just feels a little too...inorganic? desperate? manipulative? to be trusted. Makes me think things won't end well with that one.

But obviously YMMV :).

KatVamp

KatVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2011 @ 9:00 AM

...which, it seemed to me, is something Damon himself is fully aware of, hence his slight nod of acknowledgement but no other reaction to Alaric. I was actually surprised that Damon did not point out the many many reasons why Alaric should not be his friend, Alaric's self-preservation being the most prominent one.

At the time, Alaric still had his protection ring. Something Damon checked to make sure of when the werewolves attacked them. I want Damon to get Alaric his ring back, and then kill Uncle John.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2011 @ 6:07 PM

...I want Damon to get Alaric his ring back, and then kill Uncle John.

After the last time(s) he "killed" the guy, the very last thing I want its for Damon to kill uncle John yet again.

In my opinion, the time has come for Alaric to fight his own fights just like his friend did with Rose and, the way I see it, John it's Alaric's fight so he needs to defeat him on his own if he'll ever have a chace to be with Jenna.

Edited by Badrobot92, Mar 8, 2011 @ 6:08 PM.

talullabell

talullabell

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2011 @ 7:05 PM

, the way I see it, John it's Alaric's fight

I don't know, I'd say John trying to kill Damon - AGAIN - makes dealing with him Damon's fight.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2011 @ 8:15 PM

After the last time(s) he "killed" the guy, the very last thing I want its for Damon to kill uncle John yet again.

In my opinion, the time has come for Alaric to fight his own fights just like his friend did with Rose and, the way I see it, John it's Alaric's fight so he needs to defeat him on his own if he'll ever have a chace to be with Jenna.

I don't know, I'd say John trying to kill Damon - AGAIN - makes dealing with him Damon's fight.

The way I see it, the werewolves are Damon's fight (not John Gilbert), not that Jules and Co. are going to show up again any time soon but, in my opinion, there's only so many times the character can keep breaking John's neck without it getting repetitive/boring. I genuinely believe there must be something Team Badass could do now that Isobel is back in town that doesn't involve rehashed storylines.

White Lies

White Lies

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

there's only so many times the character can keep breaking John's neck without it getting repetitive/boring.

After the first time, I highly doubt that Damon would just snap John's neck and walk away. Damon is not dumb enough to keep the ring on while killing John. He will rip that thing off before he kills John.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

The way I see it, the werewolves are Damon's fight (not John Gilbert), not that Jules and Co. are going to show up again any time soon but, in my opinion, there's only so many times the character can keep breaking John's neck without it getting repetitive/boring. I genuinely believe there must be something Team Badass could do now that Isobel is back in town that doesn't involve rehashed storylines.

After the first time, I highly doubt that Damon would just snap John's neck and walk away. Damon is not dumb enough to keep the ring on while killing John. He will rip that thing off before he kills John.

In my opinion, either separately or together, Team Badass would never top Katherine's "cut the fingers, ring included" move no matter how hard they'd try.

White Lies

White Lies

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2011 @ 11:59 PM

In my opinion, either separately or together, Team Badass would never top Katherine's "cut the fingers, ring included" move no matter how hard they'd try.

No, but I'm sure Damon would come up with one hell of a one-liner.

KatVamp

KatVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 9:08 AM

I agree. If John is going to keep trying to kill Damon, he had better be prepared for Damon to come after him.

That was Damonís one liner. From Miss Mystic Falls, ďGo for it. Iíll kill everyone last one of them. Then Iíll sever your hand, pull your ring off, and kill you to. Do you understand that?Ē Iím counting on Damon to finish the job, and not leave things halfway like Katherine did. Of course, Iím also all for Alaric taking John out to. Either works for me.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 10:26 AM

Then again, he always does hence why this is getting so repetitive. In my opinion, Team Badass should focus on Isobel until the werewolves and/or Elijah comes back.

poddroid

poddroid

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

I just realized that Damon hasn't said a word about Alaric's possession. When Rose was sick, he tried everything to find a cure. Isn't it a little strange that he hasn't said or done anything about Alaric's situation? Was he just trying to repay a debt to Rose because she got hurt saving him? Maybe he didn't feel the need to do anything about Alaric's situation because he didn't have a hand in causing it??

Edited by poddroid, Apr 23, 2011 @ 2:21 PM.

photoshopgirl

photoshopgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

He hasn't, has he? That's so not cool. I realize his focus is ALL ABOUT ELENA, as per the usual but we couldn't get at least a throw away line about him hoping Alaric isn't dead when Klaus is done with his body?? I miss my BFF boys.

awesometvgal

awesometvgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 6:43 PM

Lovely bar bonding with the boys again this episode, Alaric is always the only one there after Damon does something dumb, he seems pretty resigned to being around for the inevitable "Damon tries to sort out his fuck up" scheme.

loved the Alaric's deadpan reaction to Klaus quetionning whether Damon was really asking for the postponement- "He is kidding right?" and Alaric just did his Damon sigh "no not really".

White Lies

White Lies

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

They play so well off of each other and I actually buy their friendships. I think we all kind of have that friend that can't seem to help but get themselves into trouble, and you're ripping yourself a new one because you know that you're gonna be there to try and help fix the problem, even though the friend is going to screw up again. I think that's what Alaric and Damon has, but Alaric sees something in Damon, he sees that Damon still cares.

I know that logically they should not be friends, Damon did kill him, but I think the episode where Damon saved Stefan from the tomb vampires showed Alaric that there is good in Damon, it's just a matter of seeing past the other stuff, and then once you see past it, do not smother him, do not push him, to not look at him the wrong way, because he is way too jumpy for that.

talullabell

talullabell

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

I loved Damon and Alaric this episode. I was kind of surprised at how much Damon trusts him/is comfortable with him. Is it because Alaric actually told him he's his friend? Damon admitting he screwed up big time. Alaric non-judgmentally agreeing. Alaric knowing Damon was going to try to fix it by screwing up the ritual. Damon knowing Alaric would help. Damon telling Alaric to get out of the apartment so Damon could be the only one Klaus would blame. All made of win.

it's just a matter of seeing past the other stuff, and then once you see past it, do not smother him, do not push him, to not look at him the wrong way, because he is way too jumpy for that.

Too bad Damon can't fall in love with someone with the same philosophy toward him as Alaric. He just responds so well to Alaric's non-pushy, non-judgmental style. (I thought Rose shared this approach, which I suspect is why I liked her so much; at least in theory.)

It's this friendship, when contrasted with how Stefan and Elena interact with Damon, that gives me some hope that the writers know what they are doing with Damon and won't spend S3 using him as the proverbial whipping boy again. He can be reached, reasoned with and related to. The characters just have to know how to do it.

tze

tze

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 11:00 PM

I loved Damon and Alaric this episode. I was kind of surprised at how much Damon trusts him/is comfortable with him. Is it because Alaric actually told him he's his friend?

I think it's because Alaric's love for Damon is now unambiguously unconditional. With Elena (and even Stefan), Damon constantly feels like he's unworthy of their love, and keeps waiting for the 'inevitable' thing that will be 'too much' for them to take; he feels like he's doomed to disappoint them, so while he adores them, that love is intertwined with self-loathing.

Damon destroyed Alaric's life, murdered him, showed no intention of atoning for either of those things---and Alaric is now his best friend. What's more, Alaric is the one who pursued the friendship. It's pretty clear that there is nothing that Damon can do that will cause Alaric to give up on him--Damon could be ritualistically slaughtering kittens while setting fire to Alaric's car and I truly think Alaric would still be Damon's BFF. For someone as lonely as Damon, that kind of security has to be extremely attractive.

coxfire

coxfire

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2011 @ 8:31 AM

Now, I'd love we see Damon reciprocate the concern alaric has for him. I was a bit disappointed he said nothing when alaric was possessed and didn't even say "hey, cool Klaus didn't kill you after exiting your body (NOT in that way, you pervs!)", but the writers probably had their hands too full with the rest to bother show us this.

Damon could be ritualistically slaughtering kittens while setting fire to Alaric's car and I truly think Alaric would still be Damon's BFF.

ROLF, I almost peed myself of laughter!!

photoshopgirl

photoshopgirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2011 @ 9:29 AM

I was a bit disappointed he said nothing when alaric was possessed and didn't even say "hey, cool Klaus didn't kill you after exiting your body

I know, this is really bothering me.

Extrasupervery

Extrasupervery

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2011 @ 5:51 PM

Now, I'd love we see Damon reciprocate the concern alaric has for him. I was a bit disappointed he said nothing when alaric was possessed and didn't even say "hey, cool Klaus didn't kill you after exiting your body (NOT in that way, you pervs!)", but the writers probably had their hands too full with the rest to bother show us this.

I would too!
But this makes me think, has Damon ever really shown affection to another man?
He is very comfortable admitting his love to Katherine and Elena, and he had no trouble being affectionate with Rose and Bree. But he doesn't seem to be able to do the same with the male relationships in his life. We, the viewers, can tell that he loves Stefan, but Damon would never actually TELL Stefan this. It's almost like he likes to pretend he doesn't love and need his brother as much as he does. So, perhaps his relationship with Alaric reflects this as well.

ICGS

ICGS

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2011 @ 6:37 PM

Damon did kill him

I know that get's mentioned a lot, and yeah, okay, he did. But, to be fair -- Alaric did try and kill him first. Twice, in fact. Damon actually let it go the first time, and told Alaric to leave, but he didn't, he went after Damon again.

As for the whole Isobel thing, once Alaric found out that Isobel asked for it, it was what she wanted, he realized that he couldn't very well blame Damon for doing something that Isobel was damned and determined to do. If she hadn't had Damon turn her, she would have found someone else. I love that Alaric gets that.

And I just love their friendship; I eagerly await for the day when Damon makes the conscious move that shows that he is aware that he has this guy on his side. Someone, for once, truly has Damon's back just because they like Damon, and can see the awesome there despite his, erm, issues.

poddroid

poddroid

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2011 @ 12:05 AM

It's pretty clear that there is nothing that Damon can do that will cause Alaric to give up on him--Damon could be ritualistically slaughtering kittens while setting fire to Alaric's car and I truly think Alaric would still be Damon's BFF. For someone as lonely as Damon, that kind of security has to be extremely attractive.

That is awesome for Damon. What does Alaric get out of this friendship?