Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Press release with casting information for season 2.Press Release

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

Just saw my first commercial for the new season. Makes me excited all over again. I'd forgotten just how great the season finale was but seeing them on the screen brought it all rushing back.

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Season premiere July 23!

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

go head-to-head with many of the criminal Alphas released from the Binghamton facility in last seasonís finale episode.

What? I don't recall that happening in the season finale. Is that actually something that occurs in the premier for season 2?

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Reading interviews and mistakenly released spoilers has gotten me even more revved up to watch this show. I really hate that they picked a July start date.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

EW Interview with new showrunner Bruce Miller.
Basic overview of season 2. Mild spoilers.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

Trailer for season 2.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

Wow, Bruce Miller is quite the gabber isn't he? Lots of info on S2, yet it all sounds pretty interesting. I would like it to be a bit edgier and it looks like it might.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

The only thing that concerns me is that that trailer is all action. One of the things I admired about Ira Steven Behr's first season is that it was a talky, character driven affair. I don't want a live action low budget X-Men.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

One of the things I admired about Ira Steven Behr's first season is that it was a talky, character driven affair.

I'm the exact opposite. This is a superhero show, I want to see action/superhero-ing first and then the character beats second. It would be great if they could mix them though. But, that's just me.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Yesterday I was at the movies with my kids & in the pre-preview ads they had an ad for Alphas. I literally clapped out loud & embarrassed the heck out of my kids. IMO the ad didn't give much info but was trying to sell hard, which I guess is the point of an ad, but as a geek fan I wanted more. My oldest child did ask me a bunch of questions about the show (I can watch any crap I choose but I'm pretty strict with my kids viewing) but I'm not sure if the questions were true curiosity stemming from the ad or due to my giddy enthusiasm.

ETA: We were seeing the movie Brave, which seemed an odd choice for the ad but eh, I enjoyed it.

Edited by ramble, Jul 9, 2012 @ 11:08 AM.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Never watched this show while it was on but I've been catching up with it On Demand (up to episode 8 so far). I'm enjoying it so far. Gary is probably my favorite but I also love me some David Strathairn. And while I usually balk at tv romances that develop too soon (though there is a fine line between that and UST that is overly drawn out) the Nina/Cameron thing doesn't bother. At this point I'm basically in support of anything that gets Cameron out of his shirt.

Acasmi

Acasmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 5:29 AM

9 promo images for 2x01 have been posted at SpoilerTV

Spoiler

Not long now! Only Breaking Bad has me more excited, and I think that's pretty high praise given that I was highly skeptical of Alphas when it first started. I'm probably not the only person who has a knee jerk reaction to anything airing on SyFy (I was the same with Being Human US).

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

Looks like Cameron has more hair this season. I like.

Finished the season last night and was quite impressed with the last run of episodes. I really liked Griffin (invisible girl) from "Blind Spot" and hope she'll be back. That's a pretty cool power. Dr. Data's sonic powers were pretty cool too but alas, he's now dead. Loved the scenes between Strathairn and Brent Spiner.

I am a bit confused though about the assassin guy who kills people by touching them. Was he working for Red Flag or for Parish Stanton?

Dr. Rosen outing the existence of Alphas was a cool twist. I didn't expect that. His daughter being in cahoots with Stanton was also a surpise. I always hate parent/child schisms. Poor Dr. Rosen.

Gary going all fists of fury after Anna was killed was something to see. O_O

Anyway, I'm glad I only have to wait a week and some change for S2.

ETA: Oh, and another question: In "The Unusual Suspects" how long had fake Dr. Rosen been posing as the real Rosen?

Edited by rove3, Jul 12, 2012 @ 8:42 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

It's been a while since I've seen last season so keep that in mind but IIRC Stanton set up red flag and therefore I believe the assassin worked for Stanton.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

Huh. That means that assasin dude being sent to kill the daughter was all part of the ruse. At the very least I hope that Danielle wasn't expecting her father to get involved at all.

Some announcements about upcoming guest stars for S2. Plus it sounds like the team might be getting a new member.

And now I know why Danielle seemed so familiar to me. She was the real Audrey Parker over on Haven.

Edited by rove3, Jul 12, 2012 @ 2:58 PM.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Having frequented the SCP Foundation website, all I can say is that that government operation was small-time.

For starters, no standing shoot on sight orders for the Ninas out there. And government redshirts are remarkably slow to use lethal force.

Here's hoping that said redshirts manage to score a minor win or five in the coming season. But still, an interesting start.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

What a great second season opener. I really found myself smiling halfway through. Seeing the team all scattered but then brought together to save Gary and Bill was terrific. I felt the episode flowed at a steady rate. It allowed a good amount of time at the beginning to show us what the team has been up to (and it's cool to see that the team struggled without one another) and then the action started, and it really was great. Everyone was really on par tonight, even the villains.

Was that Rosen's daughter meeting with Stan? If so, wow. I wonder how her dad will react. If it's not Rosen's daughter, then nevermind these last three sentances.

I am already excited for the second episode. What is life going to be like now that they're together but everyone knows about Alphas?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

They went a little heavy with the, "everything's better with Dr. Rosen around." I mean everybody regressed because he was away? These people are grown adults.

kkowalski

kkowalski

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

I don't think they regressed because Rosen was away, except for Rachel. Gary was assigned to NSA and his routine was disrupted and it looks like Nina and Hicks had a bad break-up, which is why she went back to her old ways. Hicks and Bill seemed to be doing okay, working with Clay. They were disjointed, though. Rosen is the glue, the calming factor. YMMV, but that's how it appeared to me.

This is an example of why I think love between teammates is a bad idea. :)

Edited by kkowalski, Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:33 PM.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

I felt the episode flowed at a steady rate.

That was the strongest part of the episode for me. The first season started at a pretty glacial pacing and continually picked up speed like a runaway train as the season went on until the season finale had me at the end of my seat. The premiere didn't let up on that since the calm before the storm all happened between seasons. They're just right into things.

Was that Rosen's daughter meeting with Stan? If so, wow. I wonder how her dad will react.

The last season ended with Rosen's daughter in cahoots with Stanton Parish. The interesting question for me is if all of these visits to her dad at his most vulnerable have softened her allegiance any.

What is life going to be like now that they're together but everyone knows about Alphas?

My understanding is that the government hushed it up, starting with institutionalizing Rosen, and Alphas are basically an urban myth in the public's eye. The term is on the tip of everybody's tongue, but only a small percentage actually believe they're real.

They went a little heavy with the, "everything's better with Dr. Rosen around." I mean everybody regressed because he was away? These people are grown adults.

The character work was definitely more broadly drawn than last season. I'm not sure if that's a result of the change in showrunner, or a consequence of having to reintroduce this cast of characters. The scenes in the mental hospital at the beginning helped insulate the Dr. Rosen savioritis.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Last season was pretty broadly drawn overall, I'd say. There were some nice touches by the cast, but the writing wasn't exactly subtle. I did like the pace of this episode. A strong start.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

Speaking of which, Nina's a bit rapey without Rosen around, isn't she?

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I like the characters and the actors. But I am already rolling my eyes so much about the Magneto-ripoff story arc that I'm dizzy and a a little nauseous.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

My understanding is that the government hushed it up, starting with institutionalizing Rosen, and Alphas are basically an urban myth in the public's eye. The term is on the tip of everybody's tongue, but only a small percentage actually believe they're real.

Oh, ok. I must have missed that part. I had to keep the TV on low since my parents were in the other room, sleeping, so there's a lot I missed. But I'm happy to watch the episode again.

I also realize that I should go watch last season's finale again. I think I've forgotten a lot of what happened in that episode.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

Great episode.

For me, on par with season one episodes "The Unusual Suspects/ Anger Management/ Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure.

Booklord

Booklord

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

Alphas provides an interesting moral quandry.

On one hand the government is out of control. Hunting and imprisoning non-dangerous alphas. Control chips. Held in secret without trial or representation. ( not to mention stupid. If there was one alpha who obviously let herself be caught not to put a chip in.... )

On the other hand anti-social often murderous behavior is a common trait among the alphas. They really are that dangerous.

It's a no win situation.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I thought it was a great start to the season and it leaves me excited to see the rest of the season.

I don't know that everyone fell apart without Rosen. Bill and Hicks looked like they were still working the job. Nina was having doubts about the work last season but she liked and trusted Rosen so that kept her around. With him gone I think she just figured "what's the point." The actress who plays Nina also said in an interview that she's going to be more detached from the team because of anger. She said that Nina's angry that she had started to build a family with the team only to have it fall apart around her. I can see where she would be hesitant to trust it again. Rachel struggled but I think part of that is because she seems younger and likely had a pretty sheltered life. I think she relied on Rosen more than anyone else, with the exception of Gary. And Gary, well, he's Gary.

Now that all these bad Alphas are loose I'm reminded of something Gary said last season - "why do we have to fight people with abilities? It's annoying." Poor Gary, lol. He's going to be pretty annoyed this season.

It sucks that Danielle is working with Parish. I had hoped that reconnecting with her dad would at least make her feel more conflicted but so far that's not looking to be the case.

Booklord, I agree it's a quandry. The question is how could you hold trials for Alphas who have used their abilities to kill or commit crimes? It wouldn't be feasible for Alphas who can push a judge/jury into aquitting you, or who slip into blind spots, or who can set the building on fire, use sonic screams to debilitate entire rooms of people, etc. There might be ways around that but it would've been difficult to pull off the necessary precautions in a world that didn't know about Alphas.

Lastly, Hicks looks good with the longer hair.

Edited by rove3, Jul 23, 2012 @ 11:59 PM.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

Rachel struggled but I think part of that is because she seems younger and likely had a pretty sheltered life. I think she relied on Rosen more than anyone else, with the exception of Gary.

I agree; I think Rachel's really the only one who needed Rosen, but she's the youngest and most sheltered. Nina was quite happy (or at least back to her old level of functioning) without the moral compass her chosen family provided. I don't see Gary as relying on Rosen, so much as Rosen's clinical experience giving him a good sense of how to reach Gary.

I'm more worried about the cliché of Danielle as the straying daughter than I am about any Magneto-echoes there might be in Stanton Parrish. I hope that Rosen considers the possibility that his daughter isn't the disinterested bystander she pretends. (I'm a little fuzzy on her ability, though: doesn't she impose emotional states on those around her (keeping her mom calm, for example)? Not sure how that translates into counteracting a sedative.

It's interesting that we haven't seen (as far as I recall) any Alphas with "conventional" psychic abilities such as telepathy or telekinesis. Nina's power of suggestion is pretty limited in comparison with, say, Jean Grey's or Emma Frost's potential to compromise the will of others. (It seems more like hypnosis on steroids.)

I'd be more able to agree about the ethical quandary the government is in if we saw any evidence of moral conflict from any of the government flunkies, up to and including Agent Cley. (Still not liking that character or actor, but Ali is an improvement over Valerie Cruz and her permanent case of the stink-eye.)

Edited by Sandman, Jul 24, 2012 @ 9:07 AM.

Burgalicious

Burgalicious

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I mostly liked the episode, but a few things bugged.

They should have eased into the new setting and rebuilt the team over a few episodes. I hate it when a show rushes to rebuild the status quo all at once. It just makes for a bloated, hurried episode (I'm looking at you Warehouse 13).

Also, Mind control chips? That seemed a little out-of-setting. Something that hadn't been hinted at before. I'd prefer it if Binghamton was using an Alpha or drugs to control Section 7. Using chips was a cheap storytelling short cut: easy to implement and then simple to bypass once Electrogirl showed up.