Auction Hunters

• Please log in to reply

56 replies to this topic

Crunchberry

Crunchberry

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2010 @ 11:45 AM

This show is FAKE. I was watching it with my husband earlier, and they had supposedly bought a storage unit with a vintage GMC truck in it. They painted it and did some nit-picking work to it, and it was ready to re-sale. Well the show's mistake was showing them showing a potential customer the engine bay: the radiator hose wasn't even hooked up! My husband, a total car guy noticed immediately!
No way did that guy jump into it and test drive it like that! Well, he could have, but who wants to risk damaging the motor with that kind of heat? NO ONE.
Avoid this show, it's TOTALLY FAKE. We won't be watching it again.

Edited by Crunchberry, Dec 5, 2010 @ 12:12 PM.

Chuckity

Chuckity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 26, 2010 @ 10:07 AM

I actually like this storage unit show much better than Storage Wars.

Allen Haff is quite easy on the eyes.

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 12:15 AM

Allen Haff is quite easy on the eyes.

You're not kidding!

I like this one better than Storage Wars. And, of course, there's Allen Haff...

forsberg

forsberg

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 12:39 AM

I liked Allen Lee Haff when he was on Clean House. But I find him irritating when he mugs for the camera on Auction Hunters and Clean House.

serendip

serendip

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 10:38 AM

I like this show a lot. I have always noticed the ads for storage locker auctions and wondered what I'd find if I bid on one.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2011 @ 8:29 AM

Anyone been watching this lately? I actually like this better than Storage Wars. If I'm believing this right, the two guys run a business that sells items found in storage lockers so that's why they do this.

And from the disclaimer, Spike has followed them around for a while, and is mainly showing the interesting finds. So no doubt they've bought some storage lockers that were duds.

There's supposed to be a behind the scenes ep coming up soon I believe, dealing with some items they've found that weren't shown yet. I loved some of the guns they've found.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2011 @ 11:08 AM

I love this show. For some reason I just can't get into Storage Wars or Auction Kings, but this I like. I just watched the Behind the Scenes show. I don't know that there was a lot new there, but it was interesting none-the-less. I hope a new season starts soon.

SnarkyTart

SnarkyTart

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 3:18 PM

I hope a new season starts soon.

Me too! I've been missing it, and just looked it up to see if it had been renewed for a second season. Yes! It's been renewed for 20 episodes, which will begin airing sometime next month (April). They're changing the format slightly, in that Allen and Ton will be driving across America bidding on storage units.

Here's a trailer for season 2: http://www.spike.com...hunters-returns

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Whoo-hoo - 2 new episodes tonight. The first was still in CA, but the 2nd was in FL. NASA stuff and a hover craft, pretty cool. It looked like a pretty good profit, of course that doesn't account for travel costs, truck rental or amortization (not sure if they rent or own the truck), salaries for themselves to make a living, etc. And that's true whether they stay in CA or not. I also often wonder about all the auctions they do that we don't see. They are pretty up-front about these being the extra-ordinary and rare finds. For all the times we see them make a profit, I wonder how many auctions they lose or break even. Or if it's just boring stuff, but they do OK on.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2011 @ 8:00 AM

I also often wonder about all the auctions they do that we don't see. They are pretty up-front about these being the extra-ordinary and rare finds. For all the times we see them make a profit, I wonder how many auctions they lose or break even. Or if it's just boring stuff, but they do OK on.

That's what I always wonder when I watch shows like this or American Pickers. I mean sure it is great where you have an awesome day and can make 1000's of dollars selling the stuff you find. But on the flip side, how many days are there where you go to an auction and are outbid and don't get anything, or worse you win an auction and spend $400 for the right to spend the day hauling nothing but garbage out of a storage locker (on top of the money you have to pay to dump it, since I imagine the people who buy the spaces are on the hook for removal and disposal).

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2011 @ 12:51 PM

With the first season being based in LA, how did this show never overlap with Storage Wars?

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2011 @ 7:45 AM

This show really is the kind of show set up to watch on the PVR. I swear between the extra long commercial breaks, the little preview teaser at the beginning of the show, the ones before every commercial break, the recaps after every commercial and the little thing at the beginning where the auction hunters explain who they are and what they do there is probably only like 12 minutes of footage every episode. It is painful to watch live, but if you can skip all the crap it is kind of interesting.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2011 @ 10:24 PM

On the "special" show they did Haff-Ton claimed that 80% of the units they buy are crap, basically we see the cream of the crop (reenacted most of the time, I assume because the disclaimer at the top of the show says that these are the rare finds or whatever.) I think that Haff is a little full of himself, but I enjoy the show nevertheless since I am in the antiques & collectibles bizz.

Yuuup

Yuuup

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 27, 2011 @ 3:29 AM

To each their own, but this show is not half as good as storage wars, they never show Ton and Allen never losing and some of the finds are so unreal it is not funny. On a positive note AH is a good filler until Storage Wars come on.

nickevinluv

nickevinluv

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 8:52 AM

I think most viewers are not dense enough to think that any of these types of shows are actually showing us the storage unit finds as they actually happen. Obviously, things have been edited and retaped for airing on television. Auction Hunters have shown the guys losing a room, they have shown them leave an auction with nothing, and they have shown them finding things that weren't worth quite as much as they thought they were. I don't know why it's so hard to believe that they find what they have when you know some things that have been found in storage units by other folks. I've tried watching Storage Wars and can't make it through an episode because of all the bickering. I'd rather stick with AH because I know the guys love what they are doing and would be doing it if the cameras were there or not.

Hezadelsol

Hezadelsol

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2011 @ 4:38 PM

This show is all about their "best" finds, so yes, it's a complete fabrication of something that was true. The only thing I don't like about this show is the extreme amount of cockiness that I feel is played up for the cameras. The haggling in such a petty and snide way at times just gets old, because you KNOW it was scripted. They just come off as such unlikeable guys. The rest of the show I can live with, and find enjoyable.

kestrelle

kestrelle

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I've been really enjoying this show as a good, mindless Tuesday night watch. Also, people have the weirdest collections.

nickevinluv

nickevinluv

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 5:29 PM

Hezadelsol - I can understand how Allen and Ton might come across as cocky on TV, but I am friends with both of them on Facebook and they are super guys. Very friendly and willing to share info about the show and give tips about storage auctions. They don't hide the fact that they retape certain parts of the show and that we don't see the units that are 100% junk.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

What show was I watching with the new brand new motorcycles left in the unit?

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 12:42 PM

What show was I watching with the new brand new motorcycles left in the unit?

Storage Hunters?

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

They don't hide the fact that they retape certain parts of the show and that we don't see the units that are 100% junk.

I kind of wish we would see some of the 100% junk units. I mean everyone watching has to know that these guys aren't getting awesome units everytime. Plus these guys are funny enough where I think they could carry a show about the ups and downs of trying to make a living auction hunting.

FlockRapid

FlockRapid

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

Didn't they do an episode like that where they showed the downside of auction hunting? The multiple trips to the dump?

nickevinluv

nickevinluv

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 6:22 PM

Yes, it was at the end of the first season. It was a one hour special called "Behind the Hunt". It showed Allen and Ton arguing, plowing through garbage, taking loads to the dump. It was a great show. Hopefully, Spike will re-air it at some point, but you can view it on Spike's website.

Hezadelsol

Hezadelsol

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 7:11 PM

Hezadelsol - I can understand how Allen and Ton might come across as cocky on TV, but I am friends with both of them on Facebook and they are super guys. Very friendly and willing to share info about the show and give tips about storage auctions. They don't hide the fact that they retape certain parts of the show and that we don't see the units that are 100% junk.

That's good to know. They come off as cocky and arrogant on the show, but I suspected that wasn't the case in real life. That's unfortunate though, I would totally love this show if they didn't have to put on such an act then.

nickevinluv

nickevinluv

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 5, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

Allen has often mentioned that he can't believe some of the edits the producers decide to use. All of that stuff is beyond their control, I guess.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 3:23 PM

I think they make up the age of an item. Recently they had found a Schwinn tandem bike. Alan insisted it was from the 50s. It looked more like my first Schwinn bike which my parents bought in the early 70s.

nickevinluv

nickevinluv

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2011 @ 8:58 PM

When they took the tandem Schwinn in to sell, the bike person said it looked like it was from the 40's or 50's, so at least Allen wasn't the only one who thought it was that old.

Did anyone watch last night and see the total junk room they bought?

Yuuup

Yuuup

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 29, 2011 @ 1:06 AM

Storage wars shows the good,bad and the ugly every week. That is one of the reasons why it is by far the best auction show on. Darrell the gambler is cool, he will share tweets with you and always mentions his fans.

Alan plays the theatrics up much more than Ton does. The screaming and jumping is a turnoff. Also isn't just cool they set a limit on a room and they will win the room everytime right at the limit they set? Anyway this show is a average subsutute for the real storage auction show.

Anen

Anen

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 7:46 AM

I saw an episode last night, not sure which one, where there were a lot of bidders crammed into a narrow space, and Allen commented, "No point in bidding when you can't even see who you're bidding against." WTF? Why do you need to see who you're bidding against? All you need is to see the auctioneer and make sure he sees you!

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:53 PM

I saw an episode last night, not sure which one, where there were a lot of bidders crammed into a narrow space, and Allen commented, "No point in bidding when you can't even see who you're bidding against." WTF? Why do you need to see who you're bidding against? All you need is to see the auctioneer and make sure he sees you!

Allen prefers to know who he's bidding against. In several episodes it's stated they like to know who's at the auction so they know how the bidding may go down. It's a matter of perception and strategy. If you know there's a couple high bidders there, then you know the bidding may get high if there's an interesting room, that sort of thing.