Lumen: Resilience, Revenge, and Rita-replacement?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

10 replies to this topic

BlueberryCashew

BlueberryCashew

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 8:48 PM

Only two more episodes in Season 5... but certainly there will be plenty more dishing to be done about Lumen.

Lumen's playing a bunch of roles in Dexter's life: rescued maiden, protege, romantic partner, occasional babysitter. People either love her or hate her; does anyone feel lukewarm about her? Except maybe Deb?

Personally, I'm ecstatic that Dex has a protege that isn't rotten at the core -- a la Prado -- and a lover who knows and accepts what he is, and also is not rotten at the core -- a la Lila. Julia Stiles has her moments and her, um, non-moments, but I'd love to see this character continue and develop.

Still, I'm hoping Lumen's damsel in distress days are over. Dexter accidentally rescued her once, and that's plenty for me. I'd like to see her rescue him in return.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

Still, I'm hoping Lumen's damsel in distress days are over. Dexter accidentally rescued her once, and that's plenty for me. I'd like to see her rescue him in return.

Ideally she should rescue herself from any possible future....err trouble she may find herself in. She's already taken back a lot of her power that those creeps took from her, and she just took back control of her sexuality when she had sex with Dexter. Rescuing herself instead of needing Dex to rescue her would be perfect for her.

Of course from Dexter's POV he wants to be the one rescuing Lumen because he couldn't rescue and save Rita.

LottaMoxie

LottaMoxie

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

I love the Lumen character and I am enjoying what JS is doing with the character. She and MCH have great chemistry and what they have been able to create thus far has worked and certainly held me captive. I'm one of those who really hope the character is brought back for S6.

While I don't expect anything, I do hope TPTB have seen the same kind of magic I've seen on my screen and utilize 'Lumen' in S6.

Sara911

Sara911

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

I love the Lumen character and I am enjoying what JS is doing with the character. She and MCH have great chemistry and what they have been able to create thus far has worked and certainly held me captive. I'm one of those who really hope the character is brought back for S6.

While I don't expect anything, I do hope TPTB have seen the same kind of magic I've seen on my screen and utilize 'Lumen' in S6.

I am loving Lumen too and really hope that she is back next season. Lumen brings out a part of Dexter that we haven't seen before, and I would love to see that continue. MCH and JS do have great chemistry (I have watched the last scene from this week's epsiode so many times that my DVR is starting to wear out), and it would be such a shame to waste it by killing her off so soon. The part of the show that interests me the most is Dexter's evolution over the years; Lumen provides the opportunity to continue that evolution into next season. With Lumen, Dexter can be completely honest and share feelings that he never thought he was capable of having; she is the first person that he can have a real relationship with and shows him that he is not just the monster that Harry raised him to be. There is so much more development that can come out of this relationship and I really hope we get the chance to see it next season.

moon called

moon called

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 3:10 PM

I absolutely love the Lumen character. I posted a long involved post last night, but when I attempted to had it, the site close unexpectedly, and I went to bed. I can't recall all of it, but my main point was that I believe Lumen is Dexter First. His first crush, first jealousy, his first ... everything. You guys have already touched upon the marvelous chemistry--formerly unresolved--between them.

The only other thing I posted was a link to the latest Chip Johannessen 'Behind the Scenes' video clip titled "A Hugh Leap Forward," posted immediately after the Take It! episode aired, in which he discusses the changing dynamic in the Dexter/Lumen relationship. After you view the "Hugh Leap Forward" video clip, scroll down and watch the "Beauty and the Beast" clip, which features the information I referenced in an earlier post about script changes. The link didn't work when I attempted to use the Editing 'add a link' feature, so you guys will have to go 'old school' with this. :)

http://www.sho.com/s...id=594357686001

Edited by moon called, Dec 4, 2010 @ 3:15 PM.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 4:41 PM

Here is an interview with Julia Stiles in which she talks about her character's relationship with Dexter, and also gives some hints about the remaining 2 episodes. It's not very spoilery but if you are a complete spoiler phobe - caution! before you click.

BlueberryCashew

BlueberryCashew

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

lorenzothekind said elsewhere:

While Lumen clearly has a strong core (she chewed thru Boyd's ropes and then later had wherewithal to set and spring a trap on Dexter) it seems clear that Lumen-from-MN was pretty much destroyed by her experience and is rebuilding herself in Dexter's image.

Absolutely! I'm loving watching Lumen develop, but there's a really creepy Pygmalion vibe here, too. In S5-E10 when she killed Morri- I mean Alex Tilden, Dexter seemed genuinely surprised when she hopped up on the table... as if he'd forgotten she was her own person and would do it her own way. He's taking great pleasure in threatening the bad guys with "HER", like he's going to release the kraken on them or something.

And yet...

mshesterp said elsewhere:

Could I see her as the good little wife and stepmom at home who sends him out to rid the world of baddies? I kinda could.

I totally could!

Harrison: "Dada?"
Lumen: "Daddy's taking out the trash, honey."

Lumen as psycho helpmeet would be so delightful.

civicsforgrownups

civicsforgrownups

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2010 @ 8:40 PM

People with compulsive behaviors like sex addiction or gambling addiction have a terrible time in relationships because they are always guarding their secrets - they can't afford to be truly intimate with those they love. Lumen is the first romantic relationship Dexter doesn't have to be guarded with, and that can make all the difference. I really think this is a show about compulsion (not vigilanteism), and how it affects personality and relationships. I feel for Dexter!

moon called

moon called

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 2:38 PM

LOL!! I can already hear Angel calling Lumen Lumenita! :)

LevitateMe

LevitateMe

Couch Potato

• Interests:Twisted shows (obviously!), bulldogs, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, expensive shoes, sports of all kinds but mostly fantasy football, UGA football, and college bball, rooting for Boston sports while exploring the super fun single life of NYC and people assuming you are a jerk because you like Boston :)

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 4:51 PM

On the topic of Lumen, did anyone else think that when Dexter asked her to stay at the carnival scene and then paused before they walked away that he was thinking "I love you" but didn't know how to say it? Just seems to me that this season he has finally uttered the words, but so far only to his children. He has realized that he loves Deb, but can't bring himself to say it even when she is standing there waiting for it. He realized that he loved Rita, but too late, and I think now he probably realizes that was a different kind of love than what he is experiencing now-- a safe, comforting, familial, dare I say motherly love where as Lumen could theoretically provide all of that and a whole lot more in terms of an actual, adult life partner. I think he knows he loves her but is just having a hard time putting the words together. Here's hoping she lives long enough to actually get to hear it!

And finally- to those who speculate that Lumen is somehow involved in this with Chase-- what now? That she would go so far to trick Dexter as to orchestrate her own videotaped torture? Sure she isn't perfect, who is, and she is a tv character so absurd plotlines can be dumped on her, but that is beyond farfetched. I just cannot see that being the big twist.

Oh damn should I have put this on the "Dexter" thread instead???

moon called

moon called

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 8, 2010 @ 12:50 PM

Here's an article from December 8, 2010 featuring a telephone interview with Julia Stiles, discussing the 5th season of Dexter.

http://www.philly.co...accomplice.html