G.I. Joe: Renegades

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2010 @ 2:35 AM

Since Transformers: Prime got a thread recently, I thought that I'd start one for the latest incarnation of America's favorite special missions force: G.I. Joe: Renegades.

The bad news? It doesn't appear to be anything like the old-school version a lot of us grew up with. If anything, I half-expect the theme music from The A-Team to start blaring at any moment. Here's the plot: Cobra Industries is a worldwide concern, as seen in this commercial. A red-haired spy lady thinks otherwise, and she lassos Conrad "Duke" Hauser and a few others to join her in gathering proof. Oh, and there's a ninja on her side named Snake Eyes. Anyway, shit goes south quickly, one of the soldiers is apparently dead, and the quintet of "Ordinary Joes" are on the run, forced to prove their innocence while being hunted down by their own military.

I will say that it's offbeat, though establishing code-names stemming from annoying nicknames by "Ripcord" (the dead guy) is unbelievably annoying. The contrast takes getting used to, especially with a bald, one-eyed General Abernathy (better known as "Hawk" in the old-school), a Flint who's a bit of a prick, and Dr. Mindbender seemingly based more on Topher from Dollhouse as opposed to a bald dude at a pride parade. I don't know how much of the series was patterned after The Rise Of Cobra, which stinks for me, since I never got around to watching it. Still, I will stick with Renegades as long as I can, and get my fill of the old-school series at 12:30 a.m., where Cobra schemes are a lot wackier.

What do you guys think of the series so far?

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

I watched this out of curiosity, mostly because I'm enjoying re-watching the original series on Hub, saw one of the zillion commercials for Renegades and decided to record it. It seems to be keeping my interest for now although I personally don't like what some of the characters look like/the animation but that may change. I'm easy. :)

The Cobra commercials crack me up, the kids in the meadow especially. I guess it makes sense that Cobra would hide behind legit industries in this day and age.

If anything, I half-expect the theme music from The A-Team to start blaring at any moment.

Omg you too?? LOL

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 11:16 AM

Did anybody else see the latest episode? While I appreciate the new direction, I have to ask: is three episodes too soon to think of a series as formulaic? The heroes are on the run from the military. They meet a new ally, who winds up with a familiar codename. A Cobra baddie shows up to make things worse. Lady Jaye helps the guys out behind Flint's back. Snake Eyes appears and vanishes from scenes at will. Somewhere down the line, I fully expect Flint to throw down his beret, stomp on it, and scream, "You ding dang Renegade boys!!!!" I do hope I'm wrong on all counts, though Flint being this show's bitch will probably be a consistent thing.

tjreess

tjreess

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 7:56 PM

Well, are we watching a series premiere, where they are assembling the team that has been broken up into several episodes, ike a lot of shows are doing? Or is this just a regular season lineup, which still has to set up the basics of the show?

And I have to agree with someone on another website, the design of the characters does look like those fond in the background of a Jackie Chan cartoon. Not that that immediately turns me off, but it will take some getting used to.

Hotspur

Hotspur

Video Archivist

• Interests:Books, historical, fantastical, mysteries, the works. <br /><br />Good tv. <br /><br />Finding my way.

Posted Dec 10, 2010 @ 8:59 PM

I have to say, this episode changed it from "meh, a good break from thinking about law school" to a new favorite show. Jinx is a fascinating female character, and the origin of Snake Eyes was done very well. The lashing scene would likely have my seven year old cousin sobbing if he understood, but I think it would pass over his head. A plot which broke the standard formula and showed the Joes at their weakest.

Besides that one thing, job well done. I'm tuning in a lot more.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 2:10 AM

Just bumping this sucker up to remind anybody not in the loop that an hour-long episode will be running on Friday at 5 p.m. What better gift is there to get than warped versions of characters you liked when you were a kid?

Ian

Ian

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

I think this might be my new favorite 'toon of 2010 (or at least tied with Adventure Time With Finn and Jake) . It really feels like the first series to really capture the spirit of Larry Hama's comic books. I also feel they've struck a nice balance between having it be appropriate for the target audience without having to sacrifice the "soldiers in the U.S. Armed Forces" part. I especially like how they're treating Tunnel Rat.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 1:13 AM

Checking up to see if anybody caught the Christmas episodes. The upshot is that while Flint is a major asshole (turns out he injured Duke back when they were playing high school football, costing him a shot at college ball), he is an asshole that cares. But he's still an asshole.

Looking up Wikipedia, the next episode -- "Rage" -- should air on January 7.

SideshowJed

SideshowJed

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 5:37 AM

Original recipe Duke and Scarlett as Mom and Pop Hauser. I approve.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 12:27 AM

Just wanting to see who else is caught up with the show and "Rage." Good news: Clancy Brown plays He-Who-Probably-Has-A-Metal-Mask-Lying-Around-Somewhere. There's a plot with Cobra experimenting with robosuits and homeless veterans. Oh, and one of them is called . . . (drumroll) . . . Steeler. Really?!? The guy from the old toon that winds up in an alternate universe, gets fucked up on a bug bite, and stays there because his other self from that world who died was boning the Baroness?

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 3:12 PM

Wouldn't you stay in the alternate universe if your other self who died was boning the Baroness? I didn't think this would be any good but I am shocked at how much I like this cartoon.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 7:41 PM

Good news: Clancy Brown plays He-Who-Probably-Has-A-Metal-Mask-Lying-Around-Somewhere.

That IS good news, I loves CB! I'm also continuing to enjoy Renegades although every time Snake Eyes pops up we hear that mystical musical pipe thing, which for some reason reminds me of the tuba we heard when Uncle Ruckus showed up on animated Boondocks. (rubs temples)

I may have rolled my eyes when Steeler introduced himself. That two parter of the OG Joes toon that Lantern describes was just on earlier this week. Reminded me how much I hated those two episodes the first time I saw them back in the day!

xanxus

xanxus

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

So glad they killed Marlon Cord. I did not need to see him again in any form. Mind Bender not looking like a professional wrestler was also pretty great, but not as much as that.

Less Psyched about an ugly Baroness and lame looking Cobra Commander, but beggers can't be choosers.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 10:25 AM

I didn't think this would be any good but I am shocked at how much I like this cartoon.

Ditto! I hadn't seen the "G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero" series in over 20 years so I wasn't sure how this show would roll. I found it interesting that we have the "A-Team" element rather than the organized Cobra fighters we had in the '80s series.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I heard, "and knowing is half the battle!" as part of Cobra's marketing campaign!!

SideshowJed

SideshowJed

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2011 @ 3:19 PM

Oh, and one of them is called . . . (drumroll) . . . Steeler.

Then there was "Doc" Greer.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 3:42 PM

Bumping up for the new episode today. Also want to see who saw the Dreadnoks episode two weeks ago. Kinda odd seeing the bad guys as Americans, and Zartan as somebody who can pass for normal, as opposed to the permanent eye-black and weird voice.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2011 @ 7:00 PM

I saw the Dreaknoks ep two weeks ago, I still can't get over that they no longer have accents and that Zartan no longer resembles (to me anyway) a young Ozzy Ozbourne. Bizarro!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2011 @ 2:22 AM

The latest: Duke gets arrested and thrown into a prison where the corrupt warden and his cronies hold inmate fights at the (and I swear I'm not making this up) Arena of Sport. Good times! Anyway, the "Joes" manage to rescue him, Lady Jaye holds off Flint for about five minutes (seriously, you'd think he'd haul off and punch her, if not whine to the brass about her), and we get another clunky intro to a canon character. Actually, it's "characters," as we get a guard named Lavinge and his dog. Before the aforementioned clunky line, I though Junkyard had been reincarnated as a German Shepherd. Another thought: between the introductions of those two, Jinx and Tunnel Rat, does anybody think Big Lob isn't far behind?

Oh, and Scarlet. Oh, Scarlet. She tries to cut through red tape twice, only to slam into failure. The third time, she dressed like pregnant white trash, making references to her "baby daddy." Honestly, compared to that, looking like a Cold Slither groupie looks so much better.

Edited by Lantern7, Jan 30, 2011 @ 2:22 AM.

Greta

Greta

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

I caught up with this show via Tivo. Me likey but then I'm a sucker for anything that takes me back to the eighties.

Anyone else think that, reworked a little, this would have been a better premise for the movie than the nanobots that ate Paris and dyed Sienna Miller's hair?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 7:14 PM

Probably. But we would need an actual team to fight an overt threat, as well as a Destro who isn't currently a bitch.

This week's would-be Joe: Barbecue. After taking in a season of the old school on The Hub, I can't really accept the new guy. He doesn't have a New England accent so thick, that you would expect him to hawk Pepperidge Farm cookies. Also, we got Firefly, who is basically . . . um . . . Firefly from the Batman mythos; a complete pyromaniac. At least there's no hapless Flint this week.

Hotspur

Hotspur

Video Archivist

• Interests:Books, historical, fantastical, mysteries, the works. <br /><br />Good tv. <br /><br />Finding my way.

Posted Feb 12, 2011 @ 8:30 PM

I like Destro being a bitch, it really showed Cobra to be a fairly scary entity that can and will hurt people.

But I want them to bring back Jinx and Storm Shadow!

Greta

Greta

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

At least there's no hapless Flint this week.

But hapless Flint is my favorite!

Hotspur

Hotspur

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2011 @ 9:23 PM

I would love to see Cobra using Flint, that would be amazing. If you want to nail people, and can do it legally, more's the better.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 12:15 AM

Bumping up for a new episode tomorrow. Apparently, Tunnel Rat has to save his friends from a cult . . . led by Tomax and Xamot! Should be interesting . . . I'm still disappointed in Barbecue not being a flaming New Englander.

ETA: Good episode. The twins tried to recruit the Joes to form their "Crimson Guard," and they used Mindbender to drain funds from Cobra. But they wind up becoming test subjects thanks to the whole "Kick One Twin, The Other Feels It" thing, which is always fun to see. Also fun: Mindbender cutting off communication with the Commander to tase the shit out of a phony psychic.

Edited by Lantern7, Mar 12, 2011 @ 3:24 AM.

Hotspur

Hotspur

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 3:21 PM

Is it me or is Mindbender a really fun character to watch? This Cobra has been amazing about dishing out pain and crushing resistance. From Destro to the Wonder Twins, they get things done. I giggled so hard when Mindbender began tasing, I know I should pity the guy but it's pretty nice to see villains actually be...you know...bad. And the Wonder Twins being strapped down for experimentation? Not funny at all, but chillingly good.

I just wish we could get Jinx or another female on the team, or even working for Cobra. I know this is a boy's show, but they won't die if three women share the screen at once.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 5:18 AM

I think Nu-Mindbender would be more tolerable for me, if they had just (in a bit of "let's make lemonade out of lemons" work) made him be Doctor Rex Mindbender, Baroness's bratty baby brother.

As it stands, part of me hopes that we eventually find out that Mindbender stole some poor kid's face ala "Glamour Girls" so that rather than looking like a ugly ass circus strongman-scientist, he'd look like a youngster and get hired by Cobra, as a play on how even men are facing age discrimination in the workplace, as far as older male applicants having their job applications tossed in the trash, because companies would rather hire young men who are desperate for work, can be "trained" to work obscene long hours for little money and health insurance, and wouldn't demand the stuff that older male employees would want (IE pension, set period of time off each year, decent wages that increase as they climb up the ladder) out of fear of being fired from their jobs (and the lose of their company health insurance).

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2011 @ 12:53 PM

Bad news . . . The Hub's putting the show on hiatus until the next live-action movie. I think "damn shame" comes to mind at this tidbit.

I missed last week's episode because I was away, but I did record it. Looks like today's episode features a standard classic-to-modern translation of Snowjob.

ETA: "Knockoffs" was basically how Zartan goes from the biker asshole to his classic incarnation, thanks to a Cobra camouflage suit. And luckily for the story, Zartan can do the voice mimicry which the suit does not provide. In the end, he gets burned around the eyes, and since the suit only recognizes his DNA, Cobra has to spring him. Also, we got Wild Bill on the military side. He does come across as a good ol' boy, up to and including the cattle skull on his helicopter.

The Snowjob episode was okay, with the character looking like his classic self. He's guilt-ridden because he got his buddy Frostbite (who's black, so he's probably merged with Iceberg) killed years ago. There's lots of angst, action, Storm Shadow, and Snake Eyes befriending a wolf. Of course, he's dubbed "Timber" in a very awkward way before getting dumped off on Snowjob.

Edited by Lantern7, Mar 26, 2011 @ 8:53 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 3:25 PM

Bumping up because Hub aired a new episode. The "Ordinary Joes" have to take a mysterious cannister to Washington from somewhere in the Northwest (re: lots of snow), so they get passage on a boat run by one Capt. Delgado. Yep, it's Shipwreck. Yes, he's a bit of an a-hole. No, he does not have a parrot that he absolutely loathes. Long story short: it's all about the willingness to sacrifice, as Shipwreck and Roadblock have to deal with potentially losing "Courtney" (the ship) and the Coyote to deal with a Technoviper. But neither gets sacrificed (apparently, a fishing net can tow a Cobra wagon out of the freezing water), and Scarlet's deus ex macchina files point the way to . . . Scotland?!? Looks like a Destro episode coming up ahead, and maybe we'll run into Blowtorch while we're at it.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

If they messed up Shipwreck, tell me that they at least kept the Techno-Viper costume intact...

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2011 @ 1:57 AM

Not much to say about the latest episode. The Joes wind up fighting Bio-Vipers (or were they Techno-Vipers?) in Destro's castle. The big thing was Destro inviting Baroness over to his pad to move the moves on her . . . and when you consider he has a mask screwed to his head, that takes some balls.

BTW . . . is "mask" the best word to describe Destro's deal? I keep thinking "helmet," but that doesn't really fit, either.