5-10: "In the Beginning" 2010.11.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

244 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 7:39 PM

Zap2it:

Dexter discovers a possible ally; homicide uncovers evidence; Debra identifies two more suspects.

AnalogHeart

AnalogHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

HOLY SHIT! I could barely breathe through that whole thing. Best ep of the season - heck, best ep of all!

What's the deal with Jordan and that chick - is he hypnotizing her? What? I bet he pays for that house and everything to keep her in line. Why did he have her blood?

And I love me some Dex/Lumen intensity. Is it bad that I'm happy for him - that he can finally show who he really is?

Amazing ep all the way 'round.

Edited by AnalogHeart, Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:03 PM.

MTBradley

MTBradley

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

In which Miami Metro finally figures out there’s an inside man. And two crazy kids fall head over heels for one another.

lolkatcj

lolkatcj

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

Ahhh! Definitely had my heart racing. Even though I'm not a fan of the Dex/Lumen love, that was hot. I only wonder if she will be willing to accept him as the monster he is even when he's killing people she has no vested interest in. That might change things.

DaLovin Dj

DaLovin Dj

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

I know Dex and Lumen hooking up is probably going to piss some people off, but they earned it in my book. Their interaction this episode was perfect. When confronted with the horror of her torture dvd, she was still able to recognize what he must have done to get it, the risks he is taking for her, and she was moved by such a kindness (even if it's a creepy morbid kindness at that).

I found myself reminded of many scenes that came before in this series:

- When he felt her chest, her heart beating, I thought of teen Dex on the roof, just wanting to feel something. Then his own chest when the Bay Harbor Butcher dumping ground was announced on the news.

- When he asked if she was ok, after her first kill, I was reminded of him asking the same question of Miguel after his first kill on the spinning table of awesomeness.

- When he lay there with Lumen, I was reminded of him lying with Rita. Always faking, always trying to figure out what he's supposed to say. None of that here - she's a more pure connection. She's a real connection. His interaction with Rita pales in comparison to this.

- I was reminded of Lila, the other woman who knew his secret and what it was like when he made love with her. It's totally different with Lumen. Dex seems almost timid, like a young child with a new friend.

As all of this unfolds, (and we're in for a rollercoaster now that Robocop knows for sure), this plotline is feeling like the payoff of years of investment in Dex's arc. Really satisfying so far. His sister is surely going to put it together this year, and I cannot wait to watch. This case in particular, would make a perfect bridge to understanding for her.

Edited by DaLovin Dj, Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:15 PM.

AnalogHeart

AnalogHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

As all of this unfolds, (and we're in for a rollercoaster now that Robocop knows for sure), this plotline is feeling like the payoff of years of investment in Dex's arc. Really satisfying so far. His sister is surely going to put it together this year, and I cannot wait to watch. This case in particular, would make a perfect bridge to understanding for her.

DaLovin DJ - yep, yep and yep. Definitely a payoff for years of watching and it's gonna hurt when it all comes crashing down. But you got it totally on the money. There's no hiding anymore.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:14 PM

Oh wow. That was intense.

Tick Tick Tick

Debs is only a step behind, and so is RoboCop and Quinn. Always a step but only a step and getting closer to figuring out that there is someone out their killing off Jordan Chase and his merry band of rapists.

Tick Tick Tick

I am really enjoying the relationship between Dexter and Lumen. Dexter is finally able to be who he truely is with someone. Harry only saw the monster in Dexter, Lumen however sees the man. When the dude they killed asked Lumen to give him a number and she said "13" I got chills. When she plunged the knife into him...even more chills. You've come a long way baby.

Tick Tick Tick.

Jordan Chase that's the sound of the rest of your life ticking away.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:17 PM.

wildginger

wildginger

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

So I'm guessing the "kill room" was in another, undisclosed location?

That had me a little confused.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

This show is going to give me a heart attack!! I can't remember being so nervous during an episode. I cant wait to see how they wrap this up.

I know Dex and Lumen hooking up is probably going to piss some people off, but they earned it in my book.

This.

The look on Dex's face as Lumen went about the kill was a combo of pride (like a parent watching a child graduate) and sexual arousal.

I believe it was the house next door.

Edited by speedroc, Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:26 PM.

summerbummin

summerbummin

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

The kill room was the house next door that was up for sale.

I held my breath I swear for the last 15 minutes. Cannot believe how close Deb is to putting all the pieces together. The bedroom scene between Dexter and Lumen was one of the absolute best scenes I have ever seen on TV. Oh and when Dex gave Lumen the gloves, the look on his face was priceless. He was SO proud that she loved them! Wasn't sure how I would like the two of them connecting on a romantic level, but it seems to work.

kiki38

kiki38

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

I gathed it was the vacant house next door. The camera panned on the house with the for sale sign next door after Deb/Quinn entered the house.

I was, strangely, hoping Dex and Lumen would hit the sheets soon.

The part when Dex was taking the swab from Chase and basically letting him know he was coming for them...WOW!

SophieJo87

SophieJo87

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:27 PM

WOW! is all i can say about tonights episode, and i hope you all are right. It's high time that Deb put two and two together. It would be awsome if she discovered all of robocops surveillence stuff and destroyed it in support of dexter. I would love for the writers to get Deb in the know and Dexter and keep him in the dark about her new found knowledge. That would be a great season six.

drtina1

drtina1

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

Amazing episode! While we may have to suspend belief on some things, I do feel the writers took this season in a very different direction than many of us might have anticipated.

Hall and Stiles do have really good chemistry. I thought their final intimate scenes were really well acted and directed. Like the above poster, I definitely felt that Dexter was finally completely unguarded and accepted and connected to another person for once. While I'm not sure how I feel about the physical intimacy, I think they did earn it with each other. I guess I'm just concerned because very few things turn out well when Dexter gets involved with a woman, and Dexter has never been closer to getting found out than now.

Dexter and Lumen as a modern day Bonnie and Clyde is kind of fun, but I don't think it can last. I feel like their relationship is like the saying about "people coming into our lives for a season," and that's what they represent to each other. Lumen is killing to serve very specific purposes, but the thirst for blood that Dexter has is not there for her.

Deb was all kinds of awesome tonight! She's so so close now. I was dying when they were at Alex Tinder's house because I thought for sure she would follow more footprints and end up at the kill house next door.

Liddy is a nasty SOB, but a smart one! Someone finally knows Dexter's true nature...somewhat.

So, what really fascinated me tonight the most was the Jordan Chase backstory...and we still haven't gotten it all. Jordan was really some fat kid named Eugene who turned on Emily after she befriended him. What is the bond between him and the other guys? How on Earth did he get them to do what he wanted and why? I'm very very curious and a bit confused on what he gets out of it. I still wonder if he's impotent or if there's something wrong with him (besides the obvious mental problems!) physically that led to him wanting to watch other men become monsters and brutalize women.

Also, Jordan wanted Emily to tell Lumen everything? What's that about? What is the deal with Jordan and Emily? She knows he's a monster...at least her conversation with Lumen seemed to convey that...yet this weird bond persists? I'm dying to know more about this backstory, and where Jordan's idea to start with attacking Emily came from and how he worked on the other guys.

McGhee

McGhee

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

I believe the kill room was in the vacant house next door.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:32 PM

What's the deal with Jordan and that chick - is he hypnotizing her? What? I bet he pays for that house and everything to keep her in line. Why did he have her blood?

That was waaaaay to creepy, like he has some sort of Santa Muerte hold over her. I wonder if he comes over for sex and she gives it to him like a human being a chew toy for a vamp in True Blood. Her blood holds her close to him.

I would have liked to have hear more from Alex about how Jordan gets under people's skin. It would explain Emily's actions a bit more.

How did Dex & Lumen drag Alex away from the house w/out Jordan or Robocop seeing them? Except for the footprint, they're ghosts.

Tick Tick Tick.

Jordan Chase that's the sound of the rest of your life ticking away.

Evil smile.

I also wonder how Lumen will feel about Dexter's kills once they don't benefit her. Will she be a full partner? Will she turn away once her part is done? Them hooking up doesn't PMO, but it does question how well she really knows him and what motivates him.

His sister is surely going to put it together this year, and I cannot wait to watch. This case in particular, would make a perfect bridge to understanding for her.

When she says she wishes it could have been her to kill Cole and Boyd, that sent chills down my spine, too.

drtina1

drtina1

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:35 PM

Oh and when Dex gave Lumen the gloves, the look on his face was priceless. He was SO proud that she loved them! Wasn't sure how I would like the two of them connecting on a romantic level, but it seems to work.

Ditto! I loved that scene! Dexter looked kind of gleeful and really proud. Also, when Lumen shows him her "kill suit," I honestly thought he was going to tell her she looked beautiful. It's really probably turned Dexter a bit inside out to be coming to these realizations that someone really knows him for once and isn't running away, but embracing that part of him and even emulating it to some extent.

Also, another thing...I thought Dexter was very emotional in regard to the DVDS and whatnot. He looked like he was in pain hearing/seeing the videos because all he could think of was what Lumen went through, and then it was compounded by all of these other women who didn't survive.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

I think Jordan, er, Eugene is some sort of asexual being. He doesn't care to be touched.

I do not see how Deb won't figure this out.

drtina1

drtina1

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

That was waaaaay to creepy, like he has some sort of Santa Muerte hold over her. I wonder if he comes over for sex and she gives it to him like a human being a chew toy for a vamp in True Blood. Her blood holds her close to him.

The other thing that was creepy about it....Emily seemed like two totally different people in her scenes. For some reason, Jordan wanted her to tell Lumen everything, but I'm not sure I understand why. Emily said she told the truth, so it doesn't sound as if she lied to Lumen. When she's talking to Lumen, she talks about how Jordan had this look on his face while she was being raped and now he has that look on his face all the time. Emily seemed to recognize Jordan as a monster in that conversation, but then Jordan is at her house and she's completely different. I don't understand Jordan's hold over her. Jordan actually looked very creepy, and is it just me, or did he almost look like he was blind for a moment there? The way he was staring reminded me of someone who can't see. It was such a freaky scene.

LSU1974

LSU1974

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:42 PM

Dexter is always at its best once we get to that point in the season where all the cards are on the table and Dexter and the main antagonist know exactly where they stand with each other.

Even though the Trinity Killer has yet to be topped, I still liked the banter/trash talk between Jordan and Dexter better than I liked the one between Dexter and Trinity.

I'm also curious for more Jordan/Emily backstory. He never actually raped any of the girls and he even pushed Emily's hand away, indicating a nonsexual relationship. However, I do think he was being completely honest when he said that no other girl could replace her. That could explain why the others had to be killed (of course, more practical explanations for that exist) but why does the cycle constantly have to continue?

I think they are setting this up for Dexter to be discovered by Deb or at the very least have her start to share some of Quinn's misgivings. This particular case where she sympathizes with a vigilante seem to be pointing in that direction.

However, I'm worried about Lumen after Deb's "nobody can recover from that" remark. I don't think we'll have a repeat of Lila/Miguel but I do wonder if she commits suicide at the end, once she has nothing to "live" for.

And, for a question totally out of left field: Did they ever say what happened to the second Fuentes brother? I know Deb killed one but did the other ever get arrested? I don't remember that being brought up.

Edited by LSU1974, Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:45 PM.

Cuppiediva

Cuppiediva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:43 PM

I think there was some interesting foreshadowing with deb , when she talked about wanting to be the vigilante and take the bad guys out herself. This was not the first time she has exhibited her own interest in vengeance. For that reason, I think they are setting her up to be sympathetic to Dexter when she does discover his secret. It is going to be fascinating to watch unfold.

moon called

moon called

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:44 PM

Damn. Just ... damn. And yeah, what you guys said about that bedroom scene. Man, that was hot! That scene was extremely well-acted by both of them.

I think Deb will figure out that Lumen was the 13th victim (by the footprint tonight and other things) rather than piece it together about Dexter.

The writers for this show are sadists! Dexter may still have the faith, but Jordan Chase really planted a seed of doubt in my mind tonight about Lumen. After that innuendo dropped by Jordan about Lumen, should we still believe that what we see of her is what we get? Was she hypnotized/brainwashed/conditioned to bow to Jordan Chase's will just like Emily Birch, with Chase still able to pull her strings?

(Sigh) I hope Dexter gets to keep Lumen.

Edited by moon called, Nov 29, 2010 @ 2:16 AM.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

I certainly didn't really like Dex and Lumen hooking up, and RoboCop getting the surveillance equipment with no effort pissed me off to no end (from him walking around Quinn's desk in a police station with no supervision to getting the equipment), but the rest of the episode was really good.

My favorite scene by far was Dex and Jordan's conversation in the blood lab. That was a classic.

Just 2 episodes left, really curious as to how it will play out. This season is definitely shaping up to be a good one, despite some rocky parts early on.

drtina1

drtina1

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

I thought that Jordan was playing mind games with Dexter by planting seeds of doubt about Lumen. Maybe Jordan sees all women as untrustworthy and toxic? Look what he has his buddies do to them!

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Nov 29, 2010 @ 4:34 PM.
Topic

mocksie

mocksie

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

GOD, Julia Stiles is horrible in this role. Every time I really get into this season and feel my heart thumping like I did with Trinity... Julia Stiles speaks or raises her eyebrows or overacts a big GASP! and I get taken right out of the scene.

Just terrible.

Everything and everyone else? A+. Best episode of the season, by far.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

Oh boy. Those two crazy kids are in love. Too bad I can't really enjoy it as I suspect Chase did brain-wash Lumen during her captivity and torture. Though why would he bother to do that to someone who only had a future as a dead woman in a barrel?

Sigh. I really don't want her turning against Dex and him having to kill her - as emotionally tied he is to her now it would destroy him.

hollyholy9

hollyholy9

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:14 PM

Does it feel like we are setting Deb up to find out about Dexter....and be okay with it? Deb is having such an 'avenging angel' boner this season.

Dev F

Dev F

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:14 PM

Emily seemed to recognize Jordan as a monster in that conversation, but then Jordan is at her house and she's completely different. I don't understand Jordan's hold over her.

I'm starting to wonder if it's actually she who has a hold over him. Perhaps she's Dexter to Jordan's Lumen -- the monster who made another monster to escape her own loneliness.

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

Not a big fan of the dex/Lumen hook-up. I was hoping the writers wouldn't play that obvious card. Other than that, super spectacular episode. Sometimes I do feel that the writers take too long to get a season going, then cram too much into the final few eps.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:25 PM

However, I'm worried about Lumen after Deb's "nobody can recover from that" remark. I don't think we'll have a repeat of Lila/Miguel but I do wonder if she commits suicide at the end, once she has nothing to "live" for

There's something about Lumen that drives me crazy.

I also wonder how they get all the crime scene pictures and DVDs.

Love the big "LUMEN CALLING" on Dex's phone.

Asyourequested

Asyourequested

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

I find it funny that the previous episode had Dexter swearing up and down that he wasn't romantic with Lumen... only for it to happen in the very next episode. I thought that was so tasteless and weird. I feel like Dexter hasn't dealt with Rita's death properly at all for someone who is becoming so emotionally "evolved" .I call BS on this whole season. None of it makes any sense. Yuck! I feel betrayed on Rita's behalf. Her death was grisly and awful and Dexter could have at least had the decency to live out some kind of longterm pain from it. Nice job writers. Very disappointing and pointless seeing as Lumen probably won't last. SHe wasn't worth this kind of trouble. Dexter probably can take his ring off now. I find it weird that he's still wearing it when he's clearly over his wife. Sorry but it's true.

Edited by Asyourequested, Nov 28, 2010 @ 11:30 PM.