Fairly Legal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

855 replies to this topic

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 11:20 PM

All right then, USA is creating another show. This one is going to premier with Royal Pains in January.

Here are some articles about the show:

Series Overview of Fairly Legal

More Information on Fairly Legal

Sneak Peak

If not interested in reading the articles here's the summary:

FAIRLY LEGAL centers on Kate Reed (Shahi), a top litigator frustrated with the endless bureaucracy and daily injustices she witnesses, who turns on the system to become the ultimate anti-lawyer: a mediator. Using her knowledge of the law, along with her savvy, intuition and a whatever-it-takes approach to resolving conflict, Kate finds the middle ground for a wide variety of adversaries — from Fortune 500 corporations to bitter divorces. After the death of her father, she finds herself at odds with the new boss, her stepmother Lauren Reed (Virginia Williams)…and in bed with her soon-to-be ex-husband, Justin Patrick (Michael Trucco), a top gun in the DA’s office. Helping her keep all of this chaos at bay is her trusted, geek-chic assistant Leonardo (Baron Vaughn). FAIRLY LEGAL was created and is written and executive produced by Michael Sardo. Steve Stark also serves as executive producer and the series comes from Universal Cable Productions.

So far I'm willing to give it a shot when it premiers in January, like I am with all of USA's shows, since they tend to be better in my opnion than most of the dreck on tv.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 11:37 PM

I have a massive crush on Sarah Shahi from Life, so I'll give this a shot, but I don't see how the premise sustains itself. The main cast will have to be very compelling.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 30, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

Got a little more here, after doing some more searching.

A promo video:

Promo Video I kind of like it.. I think. Not sure.

Episode 1 Stills

Examiner Writes About It

Unfortunately not much else to offer until the premier date gets closer I imagine.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 10:16 PM

The show better be great, because the title is so bland. (Keeping with USA's show title conventions.) Didn't watch Life, so I'm not familiar with Shahi.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

Saw the promo for it recently, and it doesn't look that impressive, but I'll give a shot for two reasons:

1. It's on USA. Their track record with me is pretty good. Love Burn Notice and White Collar, and I even enjoy Cover Affairs, despite it being probably the weakest show on the network.

2. Didn't watch Life, so I never seen Sarah Shahi before, but wow. She looks gorgeous in the promos. So, I'm willing to give it a shot to watch her for an hour!

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 9:58 AM

Dug up Sarah Shahi's bio on IMDB- she's been in a good number of things, but sadly even though I watched some of what she's been in, I don't recognize her. She is very pretty though.

Sarah Shahi

CinemaBlend did an article, and there's a couple clips added. Cinema Blend Article

And do agree that USA seems to have a better track record with their shows than most places do.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2010 @ 9:23 AM

Never heard of Shahi before this, but I'm pretty much in love with Michael Trucco, so I'm game. Even if it sucks I will watch every episode, because I would watch that man read a phone book.

Plus, the "Sue me" "Mediate me" from the promos makes me giggle every time. Because I'm 12.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

The show better be great, because the title is so bland.

It was originally called Facing Kate , but guess TPTB didn't care for the that, so settled on Fairly Legal.

Has anyone seen any of the regularly occuring cast listed in the examiner article? Have to say none of the names ring a bell, except for Sarah who I watched in Life, and Michael Trucco who was in BSG (which I never watched, but heard plenty about).

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver and Stargate SG-1) will be an occasional guest star. Now, let's get Damien Lewis on the show!

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2010 @ 10:54 PM

Sarah Shahi will always be Jenny from Alias to me. God, I loved it when she kicked Will's stupid Sydney obsessed ass out of the car in S1.

Ahem.

Anyway, the ads for this are pretty snooze-worthy, but I'll give it a shot. If it sucks I have a feeling my sticking with it will correlate highly with how often Michael Trucco takes his shirt off.

Edited by hardy har, Dec 13, 2010 @ 10:59 PM.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2010 @ 11:06 PM

As a married straight woman, because of Life I thought Sarah Shahi was the hottest woman alive. She was excellent on that show, which is the only reason I'm paying attention to this show. And this will be my first USA show.

I will admit that I like the mediator angle -- anything different about lawyers is acceptable at this point.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 8:47 AM

Another article with some tidbits about Sarah, a little more info on the show, with some pictures and a few promo videos:

Fairly Legal Article

Some cast shots: IGN Cast Pics

Read one article comparing Sarah to Sandra Bullock.. and I'm not sure why,

Anyone getting the feeling there may be some huge crossover at some point? Fairly Legal, White Collar, Royal Pains, Burn Notice? These shows are ripe for some sort of foursome crossover.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 1:35 PM

Well, they're already doing crossover promos. I just saw one last night with Sarah as Kate mediating between brothers Hank and Evan from Royal Pains.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2010 @ 3:30 PM

The show better be great, because the title is so bland. (Keeping with USA's show title conventions.)

Its not bland, so much as "stupidly cutesy". Just like "Royal Pains" or "Covert Affairs". Its like they go out of their way to name stuff in as banal a manner as possible.

As a married straight woman, because of Life I thought Sarah Shahi was the hottest woman alive. She was excellent on that show, which is the only reason I'm paying attention to this show.

Was? I'd say IS, unless she's gone seriously downhill (I doubt it).

Anyway, as cut rate as a USA drama is, I'm happy she's getting to be a primary lead now.

Its kind of interesting how she's playing total white bread though (she isn't, but "can pass"). "Kate Reed"? They probably pulled that character name out of a Cracker Jack box.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 10:35 PM

Was? I'd say IS, unless she's gone seriously downhill (I doubt it).

Well, I could say that she seems perkier here, and part of her sex appeal on Life was her badass/damaged attitude. But I'll admit to improper past tense usage.

So, I noticed TWoP gave this show a "pass" in its review of new winter shows, based on excessive blandness.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 12:04 AM

The official site has content now.

Eh, it's a USA show, so it's probably going to "okay" at worst, but I've never been into lawyer/legal type shows.

Lizardbeth J

Lizardbeth J

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 4:16 AM

The first three eps have just been sent out as screeners for critics, so we'll probably see some more thoughtful reviews than the one here.

Awhile back, I read an interview with Michael Sardo as the creator/EP, that give me a bit of hope that it should be worth my time. He's got an interesting vision of trying to make it different. I like the premise as the "anti-lawyer" show and that it'll be more light-hearted than most law shows.

But I admit I'm also just really glad to see both Sarah Shahi and Michael Trucco back on my t.v. I'm not sure I would care what the show was about, anyway.

Even if it IS truly the blandest title EVER. I mean, really - when 'In Plain Sight' is your cleverest title on the whole network? come on, USA.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 11:49 AM

Awhile back, I read an interview with Michael Sardo as the creator/EP, that give me a bit of hope that it should be worth my time. He's got an interesting vision of trying to make it different. I like the premise as the "anti-lawyer" show and that it'll be more light-hearted than most law shows.

Except (with different descriptive phrases) that whole "lawyer who hates other lawyers" thing is actually... kind of old hat, under the guise of the rebel/rule-breaker/crusader (which is about the biggest cliche out there for legal dramas). In this coming few months, with far less sex appeal, we've also got Kathy Bates doing a show about a rule-breaking lawyer.

Even if it IS truly the blandest title EVER. I mean, really - when 'In Plain Sight' is your cleverest title on the whole network? come on, USA.

Again, at the very least... its the least trite. And yet STILL somewhat trite.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 8:52 PM

Another article, link below for the show. Although it's mainly about the shoes her character wears, which, what the hell?

Zap2It Article

Anyways, I'm still more than willing to give the show a couple episodes. USA doesn't seem to know how to title their shows, but their shows are watchable at least.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2010 @ 12:13 PM

There could be a good contest in coming up with names for future USA shows. There's an easy pattern to follow:

Show about a sarcastic genius Surgeon: Cutting Wit
Show about journalists: Investigative Reports
Show about a mild-mannered retired Navy doctor recalled to active duty: Naval Reserve

Lame stuff like that...

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Dec 24, 2010 @ 1:01 PM

Are you kidding? A show about journalists? Like that could happen. Courts, crimes and doctors only!

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2010 @ 5:26 PM

Is it horribly shallow of me to admit that I am going to watch this because Michael Trucco is in it and I saw him shirtless in a promo? Trucco was a favourite of mine on BSG and it will be lovely to see him on TV again. Also, Richard Dean Anderson is involved - yeah! to that too.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

Apprently the premiere season is going to be a little shorter than normal. Due to scheduling issues, 10 episodes will be in the first season instead of twelve.

Richard Dean Anderson is going to play a guy with secrets apparently. He enters her life after her father's death.

Hmm..I'd like to see USA do a show on journalists... their take might be interesting.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

Bumping.

Click Claque has another article on Fairly Legal, apparently this website will have more information coming on the show as it gets closer to premier:

Fairly Legal Set Visit

And quite the informative and interesting article on Sarah Shahi herself:

Payvand Iran News

One tidbit I did not know about her: She's Iranian American.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

One tidbit I did not know about her: She's Iranian American.

In one episode of Life her character spoke Persian.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2011 @ 2:22 PM

Little more news for this show.

An advanced pilot review for Fairly Legal on Smallscreen Scoop.

ClickClaqueTv interviews Michael Trucco.

Another review.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2011 @ 2:35 PM

I downloaded a six minute preview on Itunes and man, something about her assistant and (ex)hubby really bother me. I am intrigued by the step-mother/step-daughter dynamic if it doesn't stay simply as antagonist.

Santo

Santo

Video Archivist

• Interests:[Twitter - @ooitzsanto]

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 4:46 AM

Premieres a week from today -- Thursday, January 20th! USA Network. :)

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:53 AM

In one episode of Life her character spoke Persian.

Plus what little media coverage Life had tended to mention her ethnic background.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 4:55 PM

I'm just bummed that Sarah got her own show because that means that she probably won't come back as Gus's girlfriend Ruby on Psych. She was great in that, so I'm looking forward to Fairly Legal. I have loved most of the USA shows and even if it's not that great, anything is better than the reality crap on all the other stations.