4-14: "Hot Property" 2010.11.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

23 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

From zap2it.com:

Michael must work with an enemy to keep chemical weapons out of the wrong hands.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 11:02 PM

Always happy to see Callie Thorne's crazy ass. I like how they knew she was going to screw them, and she still screwed them.
The ending was a little too neat, there's going to be some twist down the road.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 11:51 PM

Wow, Sam sure did survive that car flip with barely a scratch and didn't see disoriented or sore at all. Michael might be a badass spy and Fi might be one tough gun-wielding firecracker, but Sam is apparently a fucking Terminator! Either that or there is something special being put into all those beers of his....

Enjoyed the episode. Natalie wasn't my favorite past villain (that still goes to either Larry or Brennan), but it was cooling seeing her show up again to make their lives a living hell. And it's always fun when Fi's anger and disdain is directed at someone who deserves it.

Loved the scene at the end. First, I was cracking up at Michael's almost child-like pout when sitting there, arms folded and everything, and then it was his and Jesse's scared reaction to Madeline's speech and how they quickly shook hands. Don't want to fuck with Madeline! That said, I also think it was too neat, which means something else is going to go down between them I suspect.

I actually kind of enjoyed Jesse tonight; especially his "angry guy who was in a car accident" act, when scoping out the house. Coby Bell still isn't as strong as the rest of the cast, but I think he does a decent job.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 12:39 AM

Wow, Sam sure did survive that car flip with barely a scratch and didn't see disoriented or sore at all. Michael might be a badass spy and Fi might be one tough gun-wielding firecracker, but Sam is apparently a fucking Terminator!

Dude, he's Bruce freaking Campbell, of course that would be nothing to him.

Michael and Jesse, 2 badass spies who are afraid of Madeline. I loved that part, because it's 100% believable. But it's definitely too neat, there's got to be something coming.

I really like Richard Kind. The guy is good in damn near everything he's in, and I would like to see him back. I'd really like to see him back if Jesse goes completely dark, just to see his reaction to it. I did also like that Michael admitted he was a good guy.

Perdita Marie

Perdita Marie

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 2:02 AM

That was really a neat little moment for Maddie, especially when you remember back to how she was portrayed at the beginning of the show: a whiny hypochondriac. Now she's intimidating spies. That said, yeah, that was over too fast. Too much bad blood to get over like that, but she did have a really good point.

averageloser

averageloser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 9:56 AM

I'm not the smartest man whoever walked the face of the earth but how did Natalie escape from the compound? I must have missed that part. Jesse jumped over the wall and those guys were right there. Next scene she's blowing Sam into the air.

TommyRaiko

TommyRaiko

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

how did Natalie escape from the compound?

When she was telling Jesse to leave her behind instead of coming down after her, she said that once the guards discovered the case was missing, they'd come out after it and that she'd follow behind them. I presume that's what she actually did to escape, then catch up with Sam along his getaway route.

Villainy

Villainy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 10:55 AM

Averageloser (don't sell yourself short like that, man, you're totally exceptional), Natalie faked her injury. They conveniently had trees, shrubbery nearby so I think she had already made it to cover when the guards gave chase. We have to accept that the pursuit of Jesse moved very quickly, and she went over the wall before someone else walked the inner and outer perimeters.

Natalie also had to have found a shortcut that got her to the detour setup so quickly, since she was several crucial minutes behind Sam and you know he wasn't just moseying along. She needed something like a Porsche where she could do 160 or so, methinks. That part seemed less plausible than the escape itself.

That said, it was a fast episode, and Natalie makes a dandy nemesis for Fi.

Maddie's scene with the boys (their inner 10 y.o's) is an instant classic.

I like the Jesse/ Mike tension and hope they don't let it up any time soon. I could stand Jesse having a touch of wariness with Michael 4ever, or at least another season. It adds friction kinda like when Sam and Fi openly disliked each other back in the day.

I liked how Jesse brought his handler around, just reminding him that he is doing RL cloak-and-dagger stuff that's saving lives. I would guess that almost everyone who joins the FBI/CIA romanticized doing just that when they first joined.

I like that Jesse is using his own sources/resources now too.

With all that I liked about the episode, I must confess any episode that gives Bruce Campbell decent screen time, I love. 30% more BC per episode would elevate the show. To dizzying heights.

Edited by Villainy, Nov 19, 2010 @ 10:57 AM.

averageloser

averageloser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

Thanks for the compliment, Villainy! I guess I must have been looking at it wrong because it looked to me like the guys were inches away from Natalie when Jesse dropped over the fence. But I guess if I can buy a bullet going through SuperMike and killing the man behind him while only leaving SuperMike with a pythonesque flesh wound I can buy anything.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

The overall Jesse arc has been a disappointment, but I really do enjoy him just as the fourth member of the team. I loved the scene of him doing recon, and his scenes with Richard Kind were also really good.

I'm always happy to see Callie Thorne, and I've been waiting for Natalie to show up again. It's not as welcome as Brennan or Larry would be, but everybody's obvious distaste for having to work with her was a lot of fun.

My favorite moment in the episode was actually Michael and Sam's whistling back and forth when Michael tossed the case over the fence. Cute!

doggiegirl

doggiegirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 1:16 PM

This episode was a real dissapointment to me, especially after last weeks episode. I was one that didn't mind Jesse all that much this season. But this episode changed my mind. First of all, this week and last weeks episodes are like two different shows. Last week, Jesse blew up Fiona's house and seemed like on the edge of the gray and dark side and Michael was a good guy again. This week Jesse is back to being the good guy that desereves to be in control becasue of his great wrong.

I am not really sure why Fiona called Jesse for the job instead of Michael or at least mentioning the job to him even if she wasn't asking for his help. It not like Michael was incapable of helping out like he was last week. In fact, later in this episode he was climbing walls and hauling jesse up over that same wall with said injured arm. Looks like he is definitely capable of handling a small job with Fiona. So Jesse's explanation of why she didn't let him know about the job doesn't fly with me. I am a shipper but am not one for petty jealousies. But whole thing with Jesse makes me very uneasy. Why is Fiona so attached to Jesse? He blows up her house, and not a word about it? Michael has done smaller things and gotten much worse treatment. In opinion, it is making Fiona look weak and wishy washy.

The writers definitely seem to want us to think that there is something going on between Fi and Jesse on both their parts. They both always want to be with each other, they don't have problems (only problems with Michael), fi tenderly bandages Jesse's head, and gives a jealous reaction to Natalie's words. It almost seems that there was a missing episode between last weeks episode and this one where Michael and fi somehow and fight and fall out and now fi is moving on to Jesse. Last week, she was all caring for Michael but now it is all caring for Jesse and ignores Michael. I think Fi is alot more "confused" than she admitted. That is really too bad for Micheal's sake. He was just starting to get the idea of what love and relationships are about. He is picking up on the whole Fi and Jesse thing. You can see his reaction to her jealous comment. He is definitely jealous himself and tires to somehow get back into Fi's life and job. Michael and Jesse may have cleared the air (way to quickly in my opinion) between them about their issues, but I think they have to have a discussion about Fiona before those two can even think of really being comfortable again.

It was such a different place than last week. The characters were different, the impression of the team as a whole was different. It was just weird. I really hope the next episode will bring it back to old burn notice style.

Accord64

Accord64

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 5:43 PM

It was such a different place than last week. The characters were different, the impression of the team as a whole was different. It was just weird. I really hope the next episode will bring it back to old burn notice style.

Did I imagine this, or did Jonathan Frakes direct this episode? Thought I saw his name flash by at the beginning, but IMDB didn't log him (or anyone) as director. If it was him, it would be his first Burn Notice ep and might explain why things seemed different.

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 5:56 PM

Yes, it was Frakes. I'm not sure that would be the reason for characters acting out of character though (as I felt they were). I agree that there was wild inconsistency from last week.

On the surface it was a pretty fun episode but the more I think about it, the more annoyed I get with the characters and story lines.

Kunoichi

Kunoichi

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 6:11 PM

I don't know if these last two episodes have been subpar or if I'm just getting tired of the direction of the show, but I certainly haven't been "feeling" Burn Notice recently. It used to be must-see TV for me, but now I feel like I'm just going through the motions.

anatolealice

anatolealice

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 8:34 PM

I really enjoyed this episode because it was fun to have Natalie back but I agree that it felt odd following on from last week. I felt like there was an episode I'd missed in between. The only mention of Fiona's house was her comment to Maddie that she was staying in a hotel. She and Jesse spoke as if the only problems between them were her part in all the lying and his anger at Michael - no mention that he'd destroyed everything she owned. I think she'd understand why he did it but I was expecting something, even a throwaway comment about him having to buy her new shoes. And she's staying in a hotel? Michael was only just moving back to the loft, she could have stayed there while he was with Maddie.

The writers definitely seem to want us to think that there is something going on between Fi and Jesse on both their parts. They both always want to be with each other, they don't have problems (only problems with Michael), fi tenderly bandages Jesse's head, and gives a jealous reaction to Natalie's words. It almost seems that there was a missing episode between last weeks episode and this one where Michael and fi somehow and fight and fall out and now fi is moving on to Jesse. Last week, she was all caring for Michael but now it is all caring for Jesse and ignores Michael. I think Fi is alot more "confused" than she admitted. That is really too bad for Micheal's sake. He was just starting to get the idea of what love and relationships are about. He is picking up on the whole Fi and Jesse thing. You can see his reaction to her jealous comment. He is definitely jealous himself and tires to somehow get back into Fi's life and job. Michael and Jesse may have cleared the air (way to quickly in my opinion) between them about their issues, but I think they have to have a discussion about Fiona before those two can even think of really being comfortable again.

Yeah, I agree with you. I felt awkward about how awkward it was between them. I think there's going to be more to this but I really, really don't want to see her with Jesse. I was fine when she was with Campbell because he was outside of their little circle. He was sweet and he really liked her. With Jesse I see someone who has a crush born from circumstances. He's very isolated right now and his only 'friends' are a tight knit circle with Michael the super spy at the centre. Michael is the one with the the loyal friends, the hot girl, the mom who provided Jesse with a home, the super skills that make him the leader on all their jobs. The people nicest to Jesse are the two women who love Michael most. I don't know, Jesse probably wants to feel that too. But I don't feel like he cares for her as a person, it's all about the circumstances. Finding out that Michael burned him and they all supported Michael in lying about it, just made it worse. But for Fi, after so many years of her non-relationship with Michael and a decade before of feeling abandoned, it's probably very confusing and quite tempting to wonder. She wasn't happy with Michael lying. The last time he was doing something she really hated, she made plans to leave him. Michael needs to be the one to be careful and he needs to address this with her. If I were looking at those three outside the confines of the show's dynamic, I could see Fi and Jesse getting together, though I don't think it would last.

I don't not like Jesse. I enjoy his cover IDs, even if they aren't as varied as Michael's, and it's fun to see him irritating Michael (brings that tension that JD has talked about in commentaries). But I don't like this side of him. I feel like he wants revenge on Michael and he'll get it via Fi, since Michael is too practical to be all that offended by things like being shot at (when Maddie told him to get over it, I felt like Michael was putting on that face. He didn't seem particuarly bothered by being shot at last week)

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 8:16 AM

I appreciate that Michael's bullet wound still hurts. Makes him slightly less unbelievably super. Which is good. A little more vulnerability and "tenderness" (hee) is good.

Michael and Jesse, 2 badass spies who are afraid of Madeline. I loved that part, because it's 100% believable. But it's definitely too neat, there's got to be something coming.

I should hope this isn't the end of the problems between Michael and Jesse. Would be so stupid, with this whole set up making this betrayal out to be such a big deal, if Jesse only pouts angrily for a few episodes, and even when he shoots Michael and blows up Fi's house, he did it to be helpful. He's still really a good guy! Laaaaaame.

I don't know if these last two episodes have been subpar or if I'm just getting tired of the direction of the show, but I certainly haven't been "feeling" Burn Notice recently. It used to be must-see TV for me, but now I feel like I'm just going through the motions.

Same here. Except I liked the last episode just fine. This episode, I was really bored when it was just Jesse in so many scenes. I didn't mind him so much last week, but he's back to boring the hell out of me this week.

And she's staying in a hotel? Michael was only just moving back to the loft, she could have stayed there while he was with Maddie.

Maybe she would rather not stay at the loft. That place is kind of a shit hole with loud booming bass when the club downstairs is open.

Michael is too practical to be all that offended by things like being shot at (when Maddie told him to get over it, I felt like Michael was putting on that face. He didn't seem particuarly bothered by being shot at last week)

Yeah, I'm under the impression that Michael is already over it, so when Maddie told him to get over it, I was like "what?"

anatolealice

anatolealice

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 2:56 PM

Maybe she would rather not stay at the loft. That place is kind of a shit hole with loud booming bass when the club downstairs is open.

Good point. I totally forget that there's a club below. I don't think we've had any scenes with it open for a few seasons now?

AllShiny

AllShiny

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 9:14 PM

I enjoyed the episode. I hope the boys take Mom's advice and GET OVER IT, because I'm getting as tired as she is of the nonsense.

Did I imagine this, or did Jonathan Frakes direct this episode? Thought I saw his name flash by at the beginning, but IMDB didn't log him (or anyone) as director. If it was him, it would be his first Burn Notice ep and might explain why things seemed different.

It didn't seem like a radical departure for me (apart from Jesse being more tolerable and Sam getting more screentime) - and since JF is a frequent director on my favorite cable show - Leverage - even if I did, I wouldn't be blaming him!

He does great commentary too.

And now I'm forced to ponder yet again how cool it would be if Leverage was on USA and could do a cross-over with Burn Notice. *sigh*

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 6:03 AM

And now I'm forced to ponder yet again how cool it would be if Leverage was on USA and could do a cross-over with Burn Notice. *sigh*

There are a million possibilities.

And I've thought more about it, and I really really don't think having a new director has anything to do with the weirdness of the episode. There are different directors all the time. That's normal.

The things that struck me as odd were script/storyline choices, not things a director would change. I'm still very bothered by the first scene Jesse and Fiona had together. (Seriously? He's forgiving her? Seriously?) Then the resolution of the case. They just leave Natalie handcuffed with the gas in her purse and a cell phone and they expect HER to all it in to 911? An awesomely tricky woman like her would be on the phone to some kind of contact and would be out of those cuffs and back in business in 5 minutes. That seems really sloppy of our guys.

anatolealice

anatolealice

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 3:30 PM

They just leave Natalie handcuffed with the gas in her purse and a cell phone and they expect HER to all it in to 911? An awesomely tricky woman like her would be on the phone to some kind of contact and would be out of those cuffs and back in business in 5 minutes. That seems really sloppy of our guys.

That bugged me at first too. But I bet Sam or Fiona did one of their concerned anxious citizen calls to the police about hearing / seeing gun shots/bad people to make sure the cops got down there anyway. Either that or it was a phone with no credit so she could only call 911. They wouldn't have given her a good phone, that'd be giving away personal info about them.

InTheBlueGlow

InTheBlueGlow

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Sleeping, Sunshine, the Beach, Wasting Time on the Internet, Watching Television...

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 8:33 PM

Or, the phone they left her could have been tapped...

Or the online record could be checked to see who she calls in an emergency...

Edited by InTheBlueGlow, Nov 22, 2010 @ 8:34 PM.

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2010 @ 6:14 PM

That's a lot of guesses and assumptions...they usually wrap things up much cleaner.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Dec 5, 2010 @ 5:56 PM

Jesse agrees to some fish tacos, which is some pretty awkward flirting, of you ask me.

I managed to spit my soda to my screen reading M.Giant recap. Bwah!

I kinda like the episode. Natalie was a better villain than, let's say, Carla. I kinda love that everyone is working together. Now, I don't understand about the 5 million that Jesse got from Marv. Can someone explain about the money? Why he need that money?

(I can't believe that he just leave the money in the trunk of his car, and then goes to see the gang in the restaurant! What if someone stole the car?)

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2010 @ 9:41 AM

Natalie also had to have found a shortcut that got her to the detour setup so quickly, since she was several crucial minutes behind Sam and you know he wasn't just moseying along. She needed something like a Porsche where she could do 160 or so, methinks. That part seemed less plausible than the escape itself.

She wouldn't have needed to get there that fast. The whole reason they chose Sam's route was because it would allow him to spot and then lose anyone who was following him. That would pretty much by definition mean it wouldn't be the quickest route to the meet up point and would involve lots of doubling back and weird detours.

That bugged me at first too. But I bet Sam or Fiona did one of their concerned anxious citizen calls to the police about hearing / seeing gun shots/bad people to make sure the cops got down there anyway. Either that or it was a phone with no credit so she could only call 911. They wouldn't have given her a good phone, that'd be giving away personal info about them.

Didn't they say that the people who wanted to buy the weapon from her would now be super pissed at her that the deal went bad, and that her only hope would be to turn herself in. So sure she could call for help instead of 911, but she would have the kind of people who buy chemical weapons looking for her.

Edited by Kel Varnsen, Dec 6, 2010 @ 9:42 AM.