Tyler/Caroline: Babies Who Bite

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

572 replies to this topic

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 5:37 PM

I can change the title, I couldn't think of anything witty but if you can think of one please tell me.

I'm really enjoying the friendship between these two characters. They were quite forgettable last season (especially Tyler) but this season they've come to the forefront with their supernatural transition. I'm loving how their stories have become intertwined. I also think they bring our two very different sides in each other - Tyler comes across as sensitive while Caroline comes across as stronger. As Williamson himself described, there's something very Romeo and Juliet about the idea of a vampire and a werewolf. I think the fact that the alliance has come out of nowhere is what has me drawn to it. I don't know if it will go romantic and if it does, I couldn't see it happening for a while but I find myself more intrigued with these two and what could happen then I've ever been with the Elena/two brothers situation.

I hope I'm not alone in this.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 6:17 PM

They really do feel different from their usual selves in their interaction. And that's awesome. Once again, I'm just amazed how much more interesting Caroline's got in the 2nd season. Last season, she reminded me of Harmony from Buffy/Angel: a stereotypical dumb airheaded blonde cheerleader with superficial interests who's crushing on and sleeping with the bad guy vampire who doesn't give a damn about her. This comparison kinda proved prophetic in that she also became a vampire, but all other similarities vanished without a trace. Right now, she's my favorite female character. And Tyler was a cliched jerk and bully, whose handling of Vicky was appalling; I've actually decided the show got rid of him in the middle of the season and was disappointed that he came back. And then they reveal his werewolf ancestry, daddy issues and give him an arc. Damn.
So, considering my previous attitude, imagine my surprise when after just one episode, I found myself loving them together :) There's tension, but also equality: they are of the same age, both recently experienced dramatic change in their nature and aren't sure how to handle it. So much potential for friendship and angst (with the whole racial animosity thing)! I'm definitely on board with this pairing, be it platonic or romantic :)
Oh, and I hope there won't be a triangle with Matt, but considering he doesn't have anything else to do on the show, it looks likely :/

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 6:21 PM

I hope I'm not alone in this.

You are not.

First, I like the title, so don't change it! Not only is it amusing, but it makes perfect sense. Caroline is a baby vampire and Tyler is a baby werewolf, ergo, they are babies together.

Second, I agree that the potential for them, in general, is far more interesting than the expected (and, IMO, predictable and annoying) triangle between Elena and the brothers. Caroline and Tyler can grow up together as supes, and the possibilities are just so much fun to think about. They can become the best of friends, relating in a way that they can't to the others. Elena and Matt aren't supes, so they wouldn't understand the mentality of being a baby in that crazy world. Bonnie could relate, being a baby witch herself, but her personal issues with vampires (and, possibly, werewolves) have hurt her previously close friendship with Caroline, and we've no evidence that she's friends with Tyler, so she's out. Stefan and Damon aren't babies anymore and may not have dealt with the same emotions that Caroline and Tyler are dealing with even when they were brand new. Mason would have understood, but he's gone, so they really only have each other in dealing with this.

I hate it whenever two people are described as being like Romeo and Juliet, because it's meant to invoke a great love story, but those two were a couple of teenagers who became dangerously obessed with each other to the point of suicide. Not exactly what I want to see in a relationship between two characters, romantic or not, and certainly what I don't want for Caroline and Tyler.

Disclaimer: I hate love triangles with a fiery passion. I find them lazy excuses for storylines and characterization. The best one I've ever seen was Brenda/Dylan/Kelly on 90210 Original Recipe, and I hated it deeply, so you can imagine how I view the S/E/D one we're all expecting.

That said, I don't have a problem with platonic triangles, and can see some great possibilities here. Caroline has loyalties to her vampire team and now to Tyler. Tyler has loyalty to Matt, Mason, his mother and now to Caroline. Any future werewolves who come out of the woodwork may also have his loyalty. These two holding onto their newfound relationship while being tugged in other directions has great potential for stories and characterization.

Watching them should be lots of fun.

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 7:00 PM

They remind of the "Underwold" main couple, even if she's not a kick ass Death Dealer like Selene and he's not a med student like Michael.

Edited by just watching2, Nov 13, 2010 @ 7:01 PM.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

I hate it whenever two people are described as being like Romeo and Juliet, because it's meant to invoke a great love story, but those two were a couple of teenagers who became dangerously obessed with each other to the point of suicide. Not exactly what I want to see in a relationship between two characters, romantic or not, and certainly what I don't want for Caroline and Tyler.

I just meant in the sense that they're both tragic (to me Caroline is the most tragic character in VD) and that their respective clans are feuding.

I do get very excited when I think of them. I haven't seen Underworld so there isn't even a couple for me to compare them to. They're completely new and original to me.

RetconB

RetconB

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 8:18 PM

They remind of the "Underwold" main couple, even if she's not a kick ass Death Dealer like Selene and he's not a med student like Michael.

Who knows? They are still babies as far as the supernatural world is concerned, I don't see why Caroline could not grow up to be a Death Dealer and/or Tyler a med student.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 8:36 PM

Aside from their hating clans standing in the way, there is also the fact that Tyler isn't immortal like Caroline... or are werewolves?

RetconB

RetconB

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

I think they aren't, which only makes this more tragic: his bite could kill her, her maker could kill him, he can't live as long as she could, she can't have children with him even if he could, their species are at war with each other and each is the only one the other can count on.

Edited by RetconB, Nov 13, 2010 @ 9:08 PM.

ashes ashes

ashes ashes

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 6:02 AM

I think that even ignoring the vampire/werewolf thing, they make an interesting couple. They both only saw the sides of each other that they showed at school - Caroline was neurotic, needy, insecure, but also bossy and a perfectionist and Tyler was domineering, aggressive, etc. Or, she was a bitch and he was a tool.

But they're both changing, and they're both getting to see different sides of each other. In Plan B, I was so surprised to hear Tyler say, "But she's got heart. You've got to take the good with the bad" because I though it had come out of nowhere. Well, it sort of did, but it was going somewhere and that was great.

Then, when Tyler admitted he was scared, Caroline was so touched. I thought that was a really beautiful moment, as they hugged. They can be sweet with each other, but then they've also had their hot moments, like when they were fighting, and in Masquerade when Tyler was demanding to know why she had helped him. I like that their relationship/potential relationship has so much versatility. And I like that they start out knowing all of the bad about each other - all they've got left is to learn the good.

I'm so torn, because I'm really hoping for Stefan/Caroline in the end. But I think that I'd rather see Tyler die than see him and Caroline break up. Since this is fiction, I find that an acceptable solution.

Edited by ashes ashes, Nov 14, 2010 @ 6:09 AM.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

The title makes me go, "Awww."

I'm totally rooting for this pairing, Matt be damned. I know Caroline gave him good reasons to be frustrated, but he gave up on her pretty easily and always took every miscommunication as a personal insult that it got frustrating to watch. Tyler isn't the nicest guy, but there's a strong sense of a spoiled rich brat trying to grow out of his terrible legacy and upbringing. It's always a touching story with me. Regardless of their supernatural status, Caroline was moving through a similar story. The fact that they collided on both levels is unexpected and heartwarming.

I don't want to see a speedy journey through a romance and its aftermath and a revisit. While the main action moves at a breakneck speed, I would like to see this new friendship build slowly and gradually over time. Neither of them are people who are easy to get along with, so I imagine there's a lot of issues for these two to work out over time as well.

RetconB

RetconB

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 9:18 AM

The problem for me is that Matt took too long to care for Caroline, he spent most their relationship pinning over Elena, but Tyler always knew who Caroline was and how worth she was, he could describe her better than Matt even before their respective transition. Now that they are both supernatural creatures, I couldn't imagine a better couple than Caroline and Tyler.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

These two are becoming so intense. I find myself wanting to fast forward through all the other scenes just to watch them.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 9:54 PM

I love these two together. I don't necessarily ship them, but hey, if it happens.....

I'm fine though if they just stay friends. Caroline seems like she is really good for Tyler, and it seems like Tyler has never had much of a support system.

Accola and Trevino dish

Edited by Fable, Dec 2, 2010 @ 10:25 PM.

ashes ashes

ashes ashes

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 3:12 AM

I wonder how many times he's going to keep asking her "Why are you doing this?" He must really not be used to people being kind.

It's too bad that she can't be there when he turns, but it's just too dangerous.

I feel bad for Matt. Caroline and Tyler can't explain to him why they're bonding, so of course he's going to automatically assume that they're seeing each other.

I think Tyler and Caroline's discussion in the woods (when Tyler was saying that he understood why Caroline had to break up with Matt because she had to hide her true self from him) was a fairly clear indication that they're headed into romantic territory.

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 7:06 AM

I've never felt such an intense character hate as I feel for Matt and his insertion into the Caroline/Tyler storyline now.
(Ok, I remember hating Oliver on the OC, but I loved to hate him because he was well acted, well-written, and besides Marissa's stupidity, he gave as some very interesting Ryan scenes.)

Caroline and Tyler give us the gold (in an episode full of it) and then there's Matt. Good for Tyler to give him the stink eye.

Edited by Hamnoo, Dec 3, 2010 @ 7:12 AM.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

• Interests:TV shows (obviously) - anything by Joss Whedon, Veronica Mars, Russel T. Davies-era Doctor Who are favorites, but I watch a lot, mostly speculative fiction.
    Also a fan of anime, video games (esp. western RPGs), reading (a big fantasy geek).

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 7:34 AM

The biggest problem with Matt is that he has absolutely NOTHING to do in the show. Hell, some of the recurring characters, like Liz (although it's been a while since we've seen her) have had more to do. I know about his possible supernatural connection through his mother, but it doesn't seem like this storyline will be ever revisited. And Caroline and Tyler both have their own arcs, plus their relationship, unlike Matt/Caroline, isn't one-note. There's no way Matt wouldn't look bad if included into a triangle with them.

Goldmoon

Goldmoon

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 8:53 AM

Caroline and Tyler give us the gold (in an episode full of it) and then there's Matt. Good for Tyler to give him the stink eye.

This! Caroline has been so awesome since she has been without a love interest, I don't want to see her pining over Matt again! Also, it seems that Tyler is beginning to feel an appreciation for her based on how she is treating him, not based on her old insecurities. He is seeing her more as she is, never mind that he now knows her secret. Please writers, let Matt leave town soon! I think we missed a great opportunity by not letting Tyler kill him in Masquerade.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 11:11 AM

I feel sorry for Matt. His family's totally cursed as well, though in a non-supernatural way. They're all suffering teenagers reared by bad parents. Instead of creating a secondary triangle on the show, I hope the writers can bond all three of them in more solid relationships with one another. Either that or just get rid of Matt all together as suggested above.

I thought it was meaningful that Tyler came to the door to greet Matt when it was so clear that his appearance was going to make things totally awkward for Caroline (and Matt). I wondered if it was a move he deliberately made or whether he thought it was cool to just all hang together on the porch without hiding anything.

ashes ashes

ashes ashes

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 11:26 AM

Matt is now on good, friendly terms with Elena, so I think it's possible for Matt to eventually be OK with Caroline and Tyler in a relationship. But given his current non-connectedness with the central plot and the supernatural, it'll be hard for him to feel like anything but in the way.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 11:57 AM

God their scenes are just so intense. The way that they just look at each other even. I have to say that I did feel bad for Matt tonight because it's clear that he's miserable at the moment and it's partially because he is so in the dark about everything. I can't see him not reacting badly to Caroline/Tyler friendship. I really wish that he wasn't brought into it. Caroline and Tyler are an interesting pairing alone, they don't need a third party.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

Matt is now on good, friendly terms with Elena, so I think it's possible for Matt to eventually be OK with Caroline and Tyler in a relationship.

Yeah, but that it took most of Season 1 for Matt to deal, and even now he still seems hung up on Elena at times. With Elena and Stefan, Stefan was a new guy who didn't owe any loyalty to Matt. Tyler is Matt's buddy and it's going to feel more of a betrayal.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves since Tyler and Caroline aren't romantically involved yet. I think the secondary romance I'm invested on the show is Bonnie and Jeremy; and for now, I'm very happy seeing Tyler and Caroline develop a strong friendship first.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

I'm very happy seeing Tyler and Caroline develop a strong friendship first.

I totally agree. I don't understand why shows like this are so unwilling to have a male-female friendship that has no romance at all. They had it with Stefan / Lexie (and promptly killed her), and hinted that Rose and Trevor were strictly platonic (then promptly killed him). I know they're allegedly highschool kids with the hormones and stuff, but not every boy/girl relationship in the entire town has to be romantic.

Edited by mac123x, Dec 3, 2010 @ 2:32 PM.

bm232

bm232

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 2:37 PM

Can I just say how much I loved the Tyler-Caroline scene last night where she explained why she's helping him? Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I love that even with the risk of a fatal werewolf bite, and knowing that Damon will kill her if he finds out what she's doing, Caroline's helping Tyler without any hesitation, simply because she feels he needs it. I adore her.

I'm very happy seeing Tyler and Caroline develop a strong friendship first.

Yeah. I don't care whether this gets shippy or not, I just love the relationship and the way it's developing.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

Nah, as for me, I definitely want them to get romantic, seeing as I can't stand Bonnie/Jeremy and prefer Damon/Elena to the alternative simply because I like Damon as a character :) In fact, this ship has a possibility to become the "it" couple for me - if the writers live up to its dramatic potential, of course.
And speaking about non-romantic friendships, we also have Stefan/Caroline, even if they don't get a lot of scenes (which is a big loss).

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 5:18 PM

And speaking about non-romantic friendships, we also have Stefan/Caroline, even if they don't get a lot of scenes (which is a big loss).

I definitely prefer Caroline/Tyler to have the romantic relationship and Caroline/Stefan to be the male-female friendship. I really enjoyed what little we saw of the latter and I don't think for a second that Stefan or Elena would let Damon get away with killing her just because Damon doesn't like her helping Tyler.

I was never sold on Caroline/Matt simply because it always seemed to me like she was just a temporary placeholder for Elena. In order for that relationship to start back up again, Caroline would have to be honest with Matt about everything that's happened and he would have to accept it. Otherwise, what would be the point of putting them back together again. I don't want to watch him be possessive and suspicious of her all the time because he's in the dark about all the supernatural shit. A relationship with Tyler makes more sense to me at this point. Now, a relationship with Stefan would cause more drama which is always good tv.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 7:11 PM

Tyler and Caroline continue to be my favourite part of the show. This seasons breakout stars. Honestly after last nights episode you could give me a spinoff with just these two and I think I would watch it over Vampire Diaries. There's something about their connection that is so innocent yet extremely complicated at the same time. Tonight was the first episode that I could see subtle hints that went beyond friendship especially in the scene where she explained why she wanted to help him or when he told her that he got why she wasn't with Matt. There were some definite looks being exchanged. I don't know if it's how natural the pairing has come about but I find their relationship to run a lot deeper then I've found either brothers relationship with Elena to be although I think this is mainly because it wasn't planned from the show start.

I don't like Matt a lot but I did feel for him tonight. He looked like he was about to cry. Also, I got the impression that Tyler was a little colder to him. I don't think it's to do with Caroline but I wonder if he resents him for inadvertedly triggering the curse. He might not know that he was compelled if he still thinks that Caroline is the only vampire. I didn't take him coming to the door as anything territorial. If anything, I don't think Caroline or Tyler have thought about how their sudden friendship might be perceived as they've been so preoccupied with his transformation. I think Tyler could have been merely letting himself out and seeing Matt caused him to stop, look at Caroline and finally think man this is weird.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

The Tyler and Caroline relationship has been built up really nicely by the writers, naturally and organically without anvils or heavy-handed metaphors. I think the writers have handled these two characters and their relationship better than any other on the show. I could enjoy them as friends, the way they are now, or in a romantic relationship.

That said, I do think they're headed for disaster given that she's been lying to him about Mason and the Salvatores and it's inevitable that he'll find out. I like the way the show hasn't tipped its hand about how it will turn out, though.

confuzzled21

confuzzled21

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 12:39 AM

I really don't see what purpose Matt serves now in the show. Even without him, Caroline and Tyler can still have tension and angst what with her not telling him the full truth about other vampires in MF AND how his bite can kill her.

They don't need a triangle...there's already one looming over the show.

LimelightQueen

LimelightQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 3:25 PM

hinted that Rose and Trevor were strictly platonic (then promptly killed him)

I thought Rose and Trevor were brother and sister? Didn't Rose say something about them being family? If so, I would no more count them as non-romantic friend than Elena/Jeremy.

Since the start of this season Caroline has quickly turned into my favorite character on the show. She kinda reminds me a bit of Buffy- on the surface she's a ditz and she likes ditzy things like boys and clothes but she never trust a pretty face- she's badass to the nth degree.

Tyler's another great cast update. Before he was annoying, a dumb jock and nothing more. Now that we're seeing more of him he's gotten so interesting and the idea of him becoming a werewolf and is the only currently living werewolf in the cast I'm loving him.

I love the idea of the two of them having some form of relationship, be it romantic or otherwise because up until very recently they were both just regular high schoolers and now they are thrust into a world that they never dreamed of existing before, it makes sense that they'd lean on each other for support.

I like the idea of Tyler being potentially dangerous to Caroline. (Has she told him yet that if he bites her she'll die?) I think it'd be a very interesting pairing to explore.

Poor Matt. He's so out of the loop. It's just him and Jenna in the clueless corner and who wants to be stuck somewhere with only Useless Jenna for company?

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 3:45 PM

Has she told him yet that if he bites her she'll die?

I don't think that she has. I think that their talks have been more about him then her. I wonder how he'll react when he finds out that she's helping him despite his bite being lethal to her.